PDA

View Full Version : Kings plan to offer Cousins an extension this summer that could be worth 200+ million

spreadeagle
01-08-2017, 01:48 AM
As speculation continues about possible DeMarcus Cousins trades, the Sacramento Kings appear committed to keeping him. According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the Kings plan to offer their franchise player an extension this summer that could be worth more than $200 million, using the designated player exception that will be available to teams under the new collective bargaining agreement.

This is bad news if you are hoping that your favorite team might acquire Cousins. Even before the new CBA gave them this option, the Kings were reportedly more interested in qualifying for the playoffs this season than rebooting by trading their franchise player. At 15-21, they are ninth in the Western Conference, but only percentage points separate them from the 16-22 Portland Trail Blazers, who are in eighth. Despite being 20th in offensive rating and 26th in defensive rating -- both of which are worse than how they ranked last season -- this team has a legitimate chance of making the postseason. The possibility of an extension only makes Sacramento more likely to hang onto him.

Of course, being able to offer Cousins that extension is different than knowing he will accept it. - See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/kings-to-offer-demarcus-cousins-200mplus-extension-this-summer-449165.html#sthash.atpdhsu5.dpuf

Dade County
01-08-2017, 01:53 AM
Smh...

He can't say no. I would love for him to actually go to another team and build up another contender; but I can't see any athlete turning down money like that.

ManningToTyree
01-08-2017, 03:48 AM
We will see how badly he wants to get out of that dumpster fire. Very tough to turn that kinda dough down

GodsSon
01-08-2017, 04:05 AM
He'll sign the contract and force his way out in two years when the Kings are still in the NBA basement.

More-Than-Most
01-08-2017, 05:39 AM
cant put a price on happiness... he will make 150 plus million anyhow... just go to new york and boom that will make up the difference for his brand alone

tredigs
01-08-2017, 11:02 AM
cant put a price on happiness... he will make 150 plus million anyhow... just go to new york and boom that will make up the difference for his brand alone
Did that work for Melo?

He is not throwing away dozens of millions of dollars. Essentially whatever team you are drafted on now is your team for 12 years under the new cba. Good news for Sixers fans.

KG2TB
01-08-2017, 01:48 PM
That's an awfully big commitment for a guy whose mentally unstable with a bad attitude. Great talent, but your best player needs to be a leader, IMO. Boogie is far from that. He's still very much a grown child. I'd cash him out if I were the Kings.

tredigs
01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
That's an awfully big commitment for a guy whose mentally unstable with a bad attitude. Great talent, but your best player needs to be a leader, IMO. Boogie is far from that. He's still very much a grown child. I'd cash him out if I were the Kings.

He's a top 15 player and nobody is joining their organization better than him. They don't have a choice. Also, the organization itself is more of a problem than him imo.

tp13baby
01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Trade for Milsap. Give him someone that is a star see how that works, access, then make a move if Boogie truly doesn't work. But trading a bonifide star doesn't make sense.

KG2TB
01-08-2017, 02:05 PM
He's a top 15 player and nobody is joining their organization better than him. They don't have a choice. Also, the organization itself is more of a problem than him imo.

The Kings organization is a joke for sure, but Cousins is a hard player to build around because of his combative attitude. They haven't been able to build around him in over 7 years...I'm not sure why anyone would think they're magically going to now. There's no franchise changing FA lining up to go to Sacramento and don't have much to trade. I think it would be best for Cousins and the Kings to just part ways. They need young assets and picks and Cousins needs a fresh start somewhere with the right group of veterans to try to keep him under control.

valade16
01-08-2017, 03:11 PM

But with him they likely won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick so where do they get the talent to surround him?

tp13baby
01-08-2017, 03:19 PM
The Kings organization is a joke for sure, but Cousins is a hard player to build around because of his combative attitude. They haven't been able to build around him in over 7 years...I'm not sure why anyone would think they're magically going to now. There's no franchise changing FA lining up to go to Sacramento and don't have much to trade. I think it would be best for Cousins and the Kings to just part ways. They need young assets and picks and Cousins needs a fresh start somewhere with the right group of veterans to try to keep him under control.

I think Divac is to blame not Cousins. Divac is the biggest joke in the NBA. Cousins is an emotional guy but not sure you will find a guy more competitive in the league. Unfortunately without a decent front office he gets zero help. Seriously get him Milsap which they can get done. Cousins is misunderstood. His teammates have said it. Malone said it too. He cares about winning and is extremely competitive, just overly emotional.

CousinsEvansDUO
01-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Keep dreaming people. Cousins is staying with the kings for his whole career. Well deserved for the best big man in the game

CityofTreez
01-08-2017, 04:08 PM
If Mike Conley is worth $150M, then I can stomach this contract.

Cousins presence dominates the Sac Kings, he's been running the show with no surrounding talent. Ball is ran through him. Management has fired coach after coach, and lackluster draft picks (unless of course we draft last pick in draft Isaiah Thomas and later don't pay him, and yeah) in Cousins growing pain years. Just pay him already and then surround him accordingly.

CityofTreez
01-08-2017, 04:10 PM
CousinsEvansDUO.....wat up

ewing
01-08-2017, 08:46 PM
We will see how badly he wants to get out of that dumpster fire. Very tough to turn that kinda dough down

he should stop lighting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG2TB
01-08-2017, 08:59 PM
I think Divac is to blame not Cousins. Divac is the biggest joke in the NBA. Cousins is an emotional guy but not sure you will find a guy more competitive in the league. Unfortunately without a decent front office he gets zero help. Seriously get him Milsap which they can get done. Cousins is misunderstood. His teammates have said it. Malone said it too. He cares about winning and is extremely competitive, just overly emotional.

Meh...I don't think it could be stated enough how mentally unstable Cousins is. He's a grown child. Is he competitive? Sure...as is every player. But the most competitive in the league? Get real. Furthemore, if you're going to give him that contract, you need to have a plan in place on how to build around him. Will it be through free agency? Doubtful as no one wants to play in Sacramento. Will it be via trade? They don't really have the pieces. Or will they continue to try to build through the draft which hasn't worked out in Cousins 7 year NBA career. I just don't see the point giving a player that much money when you haven't been able to win with him and aren't an organization that can draw big name talent. A trade makes sense for both parties.

tredigs
01-08-2017, 11:03 PM
But with him they likely won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick so where do they get the talent to surround him?

Most NBA teams are about making a profitable product, not winning a ship. Sad but true. That said, they are clearly bad enough with him for top draft choices. They just always swing/miss and/or don't develop correctly.

tp13baby
01-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Meh...I don't think it could be stated enough how mentally unstable Cousins is. He's a grown child. Is he competitive? Sure...as is every player. But the most competitive in the league? Get real. Furthemore, if you're going to give him that contract, you need to have a plan in place on how to build around him. Will it be through free agency? Doubtful as no one wants to play in Sacramento. Will it be via trade? They don't really have the pieces. Or will they continue to try to build through the draft which hasn't worked out in Cousins 7 year NBA career. I just don't see the point giving a player that much money when you haven't been able to win with him and aren't an organization that can draw big name talent. A trade makes sense for both parties.

He loses his cool no doubt but Mike Malone and Caron Butler both say people just misunderstand him and he is super competitive. I'll take insiders opinions here.

aman_13
01-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Keep dreaming people. Cousins is staying with the kings for his whole career. Well deserved for the best big man in the game

But why make him suffer?

europagnpilgrim
01-09-2017, 12:28 AM
They should offer him this after putting him through such average roster talent and he is regarded by most or a nice fair share as the best big in the game with a healthy AD right there, so the Kings should compensate him for torturing him for past several years as bottom feeders, we all got to eat so Cousins may as well take the dough and tank/sit half the year each season after if they don't put a roster around him, especially since the money is guaranteed

KingPosey
01-09-2017, 12:41 AM
Ya because that Organization isn't a disgusting mess as well or anything. One good draft pick doesn't negate every other thing going on there.

Jamiecballer
01-09-2017, 01:29 AM
Cousins is this generations Derrick Coleman. 200 mill should get you a professional basketball player imo

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

tredigs
01-09-2017, 02:19 AM
My question with these deals is why won't teams offer 20 mil under the max? Zero competition.

ewing
01-09-2017, 08:23 AM
You guys are right, kings mgt does suck. 200 mil for this clown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinylman
01-09-2017, 12:06 PM
If he turns it down they might as well padlock the doors in Sacto...

Gonna be interesting to see what happens... nothing would surprise me when it comes to the kings and Cousins

nycericanguy
01-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Did that work for Melo?

He is not throwing away dozens of millions of dollars. Essentially whatever team you are drafted on now is your team for 12 years under the new cba. Good news for Sixers fans.

is that including the extra year? I read other teams could offer something like 4/141m compared to 5/200 for SAC.

If that's true the difference isn't really all that huge. I mean we are seeing more and more superstars sign for less years now anyway to keep their options open and to try to cash in on cap increases.

KnicksorBust
01-09-2017, 12:45 PM
I really think this maniac was tailor-made for LA.

Ingram + Deng + 2017 1st round pick should get it done.

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Money is money, so it's a tough choice. But if I was in the NBA, I'd want to be on a winning team and maybe be in the mix for a championship. We'll see what kind of mind Cousins has. Ain't like he needs more money, dude's already rich. I think he should require a convincing pitch because Kings have been floundering for years now. In the NBA there are guys that made a lot of money but never won, and guys that won who got less money. We'll see. If he's a UFA, then Kings have no leverage. And the dude's already loaded, so he could pick a different team and make more money just the same.

tredigs
01-09-2017, 01:36 PM
is that including the extra year? I read other teams could offer something like 4/141m compared to 5/200 for SAC.

If that's true the difference isn't really all that huge. I mean we are seeing more and more superstars sign for less years now anyway to keep their options open and to try to cash in on cap increases.

Not sure on the particulars, but in articles I've read concerning Curry's deal they have his next contract projected as a max of 5 years - $208 million (42 million a year...). The highest another team could go was 4 for ~133. Health is not a guarantee and even if you think they can command a 40 million dollar a year contract as a vet 4 years later, that's still taking a torch to 35 million dollars. I mean, he would really, REALLY have to hate Sacramento to pull the trigger on that (assuming they're applicable for the same deal).

Going back to my previous question though, with the chasm between what the incumbent team can offer and what an outside team can offer being so large, are their teams incentivized to actually offer a full max? I'm thinking about this selfishly for my Warriors and maintaining cap space for role players (they have enough for the core 4), and I realize it's playing with fire, but why not ask Curry to take 5 for 193 and save 15 million? It's still FAR better than any other team can offer and with him having FU money as is with all the endorsements, why not?

Granted, I'm talking about a guy who turns down million dollar advertising deals weekly, so it may not be smart to push it, especially with the contract he has been on.

FlashBolt
01-09-2017, 01:57 PM
There are definitely owners out there who are just in the long-term business knowing that all NBA franchises will benefit from the increase of value regardless of how bad their team is. If Cousins can at least draw seats to chairs, he'll get all the money he wants. It's a matter of winning or money at this point for Cousins. He's 26 years old. Next contract has him at the end of age 32. He would probably still put up 20/10 up to age 35 but his window of opportunity is slim.

nycericanguy
01-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Not sure on the particulars, but in articles I've read concerning Curry's deal they have his next contract projected as a max of 5 years - $208 million (42 million a year...). The highest another team could go was 4 for ~133. Health is not a guarantee and even if you think they can command a 40 million dollar a year contract as a vet 4 years later, that's still taking a torch to 35 million dollars. I mean, he would really, REALLY have to hate Sacramento to pull the trigger on that (assuming they're applicable for the same deal).

Going back to my previous question though, with the chasm between what the incumbent team can offer and what an outside team can offer being so large, are their teams incentivized to actually offer a full max? I'm thinking about this selfishly for my Warriors and maintaining cap space for role players (they have enough for the core 4), and I realize it's playing with fire, but why not ask Curry to take 5 for 193 and save 15 million? It's still FAR better than any other team can offer and with him having FU money as is with all the endorsements, why not?

Granted, I'm talking about a guy who turns down million dollar advertising deals weekly, so it may not be smart to push it, especially with the contract he has been on.

I thought I read that Curry qualified for an extra large contract due to his achievements, not sure if DMC qualifies. But I definitely think it was 5/200 vs 4/141m

We don't know what the cap will be in 4 years, some of these guys may end up making more taking the shorter deals. All these guys that end up locked up longer seem to end up looking like steals and waiting for their next deals. Granted this was an unusual boom in cap, but I dont know if it's necessarily going to go down either.

For a guy like DMC that figures to have another contract in 4 years anyway, I don't think it's a huge deal.

Forever35
01-09-2017, 05:36 PM
The Kings have to make this offer... IMO, Divac knows Cousins is gonna turn down any offer they make, so why not just throw it out for the fans to see... The fans will complain, but in the end Cousins said no... Divac will take the best possible trade offer come draft night...

FlashBolt
01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
The Kings have to make this offer... IMO, Divac knows Cousins is gonna turn down any offer they make, so why not just throw it out for the fans to see... The fans will complain, but in the end Cousins said no... Divac will take the best possible trade offer come draft night...

Sad that Kings best move is to make an offer they know their star player won't accept.. Man, the leadership for this franchise is Minny level bad in the KG era.

CityofTreez
01-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Just imagine a franchise jumping out of a plane, and the parachutes catch on fire, and you're already charred before you bounce off the ground. Dead. That's our organization

KnicksorBust
01-09-2017, 10:29 PM
It is always crazy to me when a team has a player this talented and consistently ****s up building around them. That is why I didn't get mad at Lebron for leaving Cleveland. 7 straight years of ****ing up. Dude has a right to leave. I am still convinced he should be traded but looks like they are all in.

Forever35
01-10-2017, 08:55 AM
It is always crazy to me when a team has a player this talented and consistently ****s up building around them. That is why I didn't get mad at Lebron for leaving Cleveland. 7 straight years of ****ing up. Dude has a right to leave. I am still convinced he should be traded but looks like they are all in.

Nothing against Mike Brown, but he had no business coaching the Cavs during LeBrons first time there...

tredigs
01-10-2017, 05:55 PM

Turn down? Cousins is NOT turning down a max offer and taking a torch to that much money. I guarantee that.

kobe4thewinbang
01-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Turn down? Cousins is NOT turning down a max offer and taking a torch to that much money. I guarantee that.Why, though? Dude is already rich like I said. Unless he's blown all his money, he's losing a few million, sure, but dude's still going to draw multi-year multi-million offers from better teams with the new salary cap.

tredigs
01-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Why, though? Dude is already rich like I said. Unless he's blown all his money, he's losing a few million, sure, but dude's still going to draw multi-year multi-million offers from better teams with the new salary cap.

It's a hell of a lot more than a few million. And who knows how big his entourage is or how big his spending habits are.

Also, I haven't seen much to convince me that Cousins is actively seeking another team.

kobe4thewinbang
01-10-2017, 09:41 PM
It's a hell of a lot more than a few million. And who knows how big his entourage is or how big his spending habits are.

Also, I haven't seen much to convince me that Cousins is actively seeking another team.I don't see how. I guess the Kings are a large market, not sure, but Cousins could get endorsements all over the place to compensate for a lesser deal. Again, the dude would still make multiple millions of dollars. It's a moot point, unless he's another dumb athlete that wastes it. Depends on what he wants for his career. He can stay with the team for his whole career, but unless the world stops turning Kings are not going to win anything of worth unless serious turnover occurs within the organization.

Ty22Mitchell
01-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Cousins is taking that money. The CBA effectively kills free agency (which I dislike because that's one of the reasons I like the NBA; big names new faces, players joining forces).
I won't find any fault with a player who takes money with a losing team instead of leaving and taking less money with a contending team.

Vinylman
01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
I haven't really seen anything in depth on the new CBA but this exception that they have to sign guys to massive deals seems like it will become a huge problem in the long run if the team makes a mistake...

How do you unload a guy making $40 million a year? Don't trades have to match salaries still?

Just wondering what others think about this situation

Ty22Mitchell
01-11-2017, 09:57 AM
I haven't really seen anything in depth on the new CBA but this exception that they have to sign guys to massive deals seems like it will become a huge problem in the long run if the team makes a mistake...

How do you unload a guy making $40 million a year? Don't trades have to match salaries still?

Here's two links. One on the CBA and the other on teams going over the cap to sign its own players.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/12/15/a-deeper-look-inside-the-nbas-new-collective-bargaining-agreement/?utm_term=.2e824ae9bf39

https://m.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5n6gfm/please_help_me_be_less_stupid/

warfelg
01-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Cousins is taking that money. The CBA effectively kills free agency (which I dislike because that's one of the reasons I like the NBA; big names new faces, players joining forces).
I won't find any fault with a player who takes money with a losing team instead of leaving and taking less money with a contending team.

I think the new CBA kills bit name stars from moving, but its going to increase that next level of free agency.

The idea was to make the max a true 'penalty' to the team so they can't afford a lot of them. So now the middle class of the NBA should grow, but likely won't.

warfelg
01-11-2017, 10:06 AM

I think this big deal the player has to be with the team for a while and can't just jump from team to team with it.

BKLYNpigeon
01-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Smart Move. Lock him up, you can always trade him later.

Wrigheyes4MVP
01-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Say what you want about Cousins, but he is loyal. $207M might also have something to do with it.

BKLYNpigeon
01-11-2017, 11:43 AM
He's worth it.

you're going to have guys like Lowery, Gordon Hayward, Otto Porter, Milsap that will probably get a max deal. lol.