PDA

View Full Version : Would K-Love for Korver + Millsap have been a better trade for both teams?

JasonJohnHorn
01-07-2017, 03:00 PM
When I heard about the Korver trade, I thought it was a great deal for Cleveland, especially in the short term. I mean.... he's got a couple of years left.

But given that Millsap is on the block to... and that he makes considerably less than Love, I thought that a trade involving Love and Millsap would have been better for both teams.

K-Love is three years younger, so he gives ATL a larger window, and he gives Dwight space because Love can hit 3's.

On Cleveland's side... they are paying less for Millsap than they would for Love, and though he has a smaller window, he's the same age as LBJ, so he should be good to go along with James until the James' window closes. He can't hit 3's like Love, but he's decent: you don't want to leave him open at any rate, and he has a mid-range jumper and is better defensively than Love. So with Korver spreading the floor, and Millsap able to open the lane with his midrange jumper or post up and pass out, the two players do everything that Love would do and a little bit more (depth and defense). Plus... he's cheaper.

Problem is, Love is finally doing what Cleveland wanted him to do all along, and keeping Love may extend the championship window longer than they'd have with Millsap, because Cleveland would have two players (Love and Kyrie) to pick up the slack as LBJ's game declines. But chemistry wise... I feel like Kyrie/Korver/James/Millsap/Thompson would just kill it for the next couple of years.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

kobe4thewinbang
01-07-2017, 03:07 PM
My guess is that Cavaliers would want more than Millsap for Love. I'm kind of flabbergasted like others as to how Cavaliers got Korver for not much at all. Millsap is a solid player, and you're right about his defense, but I think like you said the Cavaliers are happy with Love's production this season and he's probably more reliable than Millsap.

Giannis94
01-07-2017, 03:21 PM
If Embiid and Love were on the same contract (locked up long term) I would take Milsap over Love

PhillyFaninLA
01-07-2017, 03:58 PM
No it wouldn't....you have to understand why a team makes a trade, the Hawks are looking to unload players so they can rebuild, and Korver was going to be a free agent and had no reason to resign with them.

Adding Love would have made no sense for the Hawks given the fact they started a fire sale

europagnpilgrim
01-07-2017, 04:22 PM
No it wouldn't....you have to understand why a team makes a trade, the Hawks are looking to unload players so they can rebuild, and Korver was going to be a free agent and had no reason to resign with them.

Adding Love would have made no sense for the Hawks given the fact they started a fire sale

pretty much this, well said

Blink
01-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Not toonly many clubs giving up a future 1st for soon to be 36 year old Korver.

Likely to be a 2020 1st i believe. The later the better. LeBron will be LeBron until he is retired.

Giannis94
01-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Not toonly many clubs giving up a future 1st for soon to be 36 year old Korver.

Likely to be a 2020 1st i believe. The later the better. LeBron will be LeBron until he is retired.

Probably one of those deals where it will turn into future 2'ds anyway.

hugepatsfan
01-07-2017, 05:19 PM
I feel like Milsap might work better in a matchup vs. GS than Love will. BUT that's a huge shakeup and those can go either way.

ewing
01-07-2017, 08:13 PM
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
01-09-2017, 02:44 PM
For Cavs--

No. Love has finally become the player Cavs were hoping he would become. If they wanted to trade Love, they should have done it last season when he was just borderline average by his standards. Love has found his game. He's been dealing with a sickness the past few weeks but he's an easy 20/10 any night. Besides, Cavs are giving up relatively nothing for Korver. This would have been a Milsap for Love trade and that's terrible. We still have to wait for Korver to arrive and then J.R. Smith as well before we can actually see how good this thing becomes. Not to mention Milsap would be a FA by the end of this season and that would meant you traded Love for nothing if Milsap decided to jet.

For Hawks--

They win on this trade.. Yes, they would be rebuilding but Love is a great asset to have. He's an easy 20/10 and we'd probably see Minny-type Love numbers if he was back to being the first option. Hawks are rebuilding right now because they have no choice. Love gives them an alternate option of being 1-2 pieces away from being a solid contender. Love+Dwight+Schroder. All you're missing are a few shooters and defenders.

Chronz
01-09-2017, 05:22 PM
I think we may look back on this thread after the Finals and realize they should have done this trade. Certainly helps them matchup better defensively but with Love have a reconnaissance it was never an option.

FlashBolt
01-09-2017, 05:25 PM
I think we may look back on this thread after the Finals and realize they should have done this trade. Certainly helps them matchup better defensively but with Love have a reconnaissance it was never an option.

You might have a point here. No doubt Milsap makes the Cavs a better team specifically against the Warriors. At the same time, we can't ignore K.Love's production this season. Time will tell.

flea
01-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Lebron needs shooters. Love is a shooter, Millsap isn't - defense be damned. Millsap is also overrated defensively because of his time on the Hawks - does nobody forget that he was a tweener that lacked physicality on the glass for most of his NBA career? Playing next to Horford (which is who the Hawk designed their D around) has turned his rep totally around somehow.

Vee-Rex
01-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Well I'm hoping your Clips do their job in the 2nd round and finish the Dubs off or wear them down for the Spurs to finish them off in the WCF.

phantasyyy
01-09-2017, 06:56 PM
With the Cavs high payroll as it is, Love's old max contract paying him ~22.6m a year is much more attractive than a 1 year rental of Millsap then paying the dude >30m to retain him. They've got Love locked in under now a below-market contract and with him taking a huge step forward this year there really was no need to disrupt the chemistry they have going. 22/11 with a 60%TS and 39.5% from 3.

Cavs offense is predicated on spacing and Millsap has only shot 31% from 3 the past two seasons. Sure he would be a better fit defensively against the likes of the Warriors, but its just too much of a gamble financially and chemistry wise.

The Hawks on the other hand would have been delighted if they could have flipped Millsap for Love. Gives them a much younger franchise cornerstone and quite frankly the ultimate fit next to someone like Howard.

Chronz
01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Well I'm hoping your Clips do their job in the 2nd round and finish the Dubs off or wear them down for the Spurs to finish them off in the WCF.

I actually want to sacrifice my Clips in the first round, to give them a ****ing gauntlet for once.

Chronz
01-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Lebron needs shooters. Love is a shooter, Millsap isn't - defense be damned. Millsap is also overrated defensively because of his time on the Hawks - does nobody forget that he was a tweener that lacked physicality on the glass for most of his NBA career? Playing next to Horford (which is who the Hawk designed their D around) has turned his rep totally around somehow.

Are you assuming Love plays a bigger role this year? I guess Im coming from the standpoint that Love's shooting wasnt enough to prevent RJ of all people from being more important than him at times. I look at Milsap as an ultra rich version of him, capable of defending switches and punishing the Dubs with his post game if they switch.
He does space the floor, albeit not with as much efficiency as Love is now but hes had better shooting years in the past. Its certainly worth the look but if this were Horford, I guess they would play TT at the 4 but prolly less footspeed out there. I never came away with a decision on who was the leader of that team between Horford and Milsap, just very similar roles/players IMO, just a size difference. Its almost like you forgot that people back then were ALSO clamoring for Horford to be moved to his natural position at the 4, it was a bigger league back then.

And tbf, Milsap was the better defensive rebounder, shotblocker+steals guy and this year thus far, has been paramount to Atlanta's defensive success whereas Horford has been on a bad defensive team (yes, I know, injuries).

flea
01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Horford's career before Milsap was even around speaks for itself defensively - it's why he was playable from day 1 in the league and Milsap scrounged around trying to get minutes. But I was talking about when they played together, they ran these 1-1-3 or box-and-one hybrid zones that utilized Horford's footspeed and intelligence as a C. Milsap got box score stats and so the box score stats said they were close to equal but the scheme was built around Horford's ability, not Milsap's, even though the team played very well together on both ends.

I was one of the few people who went to Philips to see them on occasion and they were a fun team to watch, it was just too bad they didn't have more time together or more depth or a better scorer because Milsap just can't cut it as a primary option when defenses are better. I don't watch the Howard-era Hawks because I dislike him as a player and now they're a rebuilding team, but Howard has always been a fine defensive player if nothing else.

flea
01-09-2017, 07:51 PM
And I don't see Milsap as anything near the shooter RJ has been in his role player days. A lot of the 3s Milsap was connecting on were dead wide-open, and he was much more a pump-fake and drive forward. That's not the type of guy Lebron teams want because you need to feature that earlier in shot clocks, which is often when Lebron is doing that.

Chronz
01-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Dude you're making RJ sound like a sniper, his old man legs need time to get that set shot off too you know and I find it hard to believe Millsap wouldn't can more than 1 of 6 from 3 in 7 Finals games. RJ wasn't valuable so much for his floor spacing, he was just nimble and smart enough to play D, Millsap may be overrated (not IMO tho) on that end but hes undoubtedly superior on that end and I think Millsap would command just the same attention from out there. Like you said, you cant leave him open for too long.

COOLbeans
01-10-2017, 06:01 PM

:laugh2:

FlashBolt
01-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Only reason RJ took over instead of Love for the Finals was because Love was getting exposed defensively. He didn't have it in him to guard the Warriors when they went small. It's sad to say but RJ at 36 is more athletic than Love at 28. With that being said, Love has improved his defense and has been a much better fit this season. I'd rather have Milsap if they're playing against the Warriors because they can't guard Milsap at all.

Vee-Rex
01-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Only reason RJ took over instead of Love for the Finals was because Love was getting exposed defensively. He didn't have it in him to guard the Warriors when they went small. It's sad to say but RJ at 36 is more athletic than Love at 28. With that being said, Love has improved his defense and has been a much better fit this season. I'd rather have Milsap if they're playing against the Warriors because they can't guard Milsap at all.

To be fair, RJ is more athletic than a lot of guys in the league. He was posterizing the entire Warriors team on Christmas day.

Quinnsanity
01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Honestly I'd take it a step further. Love, Frye, Mo Williams and Dunleavy for Millsap, Korver and Bazemore. The Cavs don't really have a defense-first guard, and playing in Cleveland could really revive Baze's shooting. He's kind of perfect as a LeBron point guard. Doesn't need the ball, three-and-D type of guy, he can play next to Kyrie or without him. If we're judging Cleveland players based solely on their ability to stay on the court against Golden State, I'd much rather have Baze than Korver. Korver is going to get run off of the floor against the Warriors.

Quinnsanity
01-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Horford's career before Milsap was even around speaks for itself defensively - it's why he was playable from day 1 in the league and Milsap scrounged around trying to get minutes. But I was talking about when they played together, they ran these 1-1-3 or box-and-one hybrid zones that utilized Horford's footspeed and intelligence as a C. Milsap got box score stats and so the box score stats said they were close to equal but the scheme was built around Horford's ability, not Milsap's, even though the team played very well together on both ends.

I was one of the few people who went to Philips to see them on occasion and they were a fun team to watch, it was just too bad they didn't have more time together or more depth or a better scorer because Milsap just can't cut it as a primary option when defenses are better. I don't watch the Howard-era Hawks because I dislike him as a player and now they're a rebuilding team, but Howard has always been a fine defensive player if nothing else.

Well... no... that's not really what happened. On a very basic level, Horford played from Day 1 because he was the No. 3 pick and Millsap didn't play from Day 1 because he was the No. 47 pick. There are any number of reasons why that happened, but most notably: Millsap was old (three years in college), undersized (6'8'' power forwards weren't yet in vogue) and played at a small school (Louisiana Tech). He played his way onto the floor in Utah mainly as a rebounder at first, but at that point in league history his size was still a detriment defensively rather than the asset is now. There were more low-post power forwards at that point. He was just as mobile at that point and displayed above-average court IQ to say that least. Those just weren't as important traits at that point. If you plopped a 22-year-old Paul Millsap into the 2017 NBA he would probably develop just as any other young guy would and hit his prime after three or four years. There were just outside circumstances that kept Millsap from peaking until his 30's. If Draymond Green had been drafted in 2006 instead of 2012 the same thing would've happened to him. The league wasn't ready for the things Paul Millsap did well defensively in 2006. It is now.

krazylegz
01-10-2017, 08:28 PM
i like the korver trade the way it ended up....its not like cleveland is close to wheeling and dealing IMO...they are still looking for that defensive first PG someone stated above