PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Playoffs: 1st seed versus 9th seed

Shammyguy3
01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
GMs used private auction bids to acquire players and form a roster. There were 12 playoff teams, and each matchup is up to PSD users to vote on for a winner to move onto the next round. All players are healthy, using their multi-year primes to base their production on. Who wins this matchup in a 7-game series?

1st seed
PG: Alvin Robertson | Baron Davis
SG: Michael Jordan | Allan Houston
SF: Glen Rice | Billy Cunningham
PF: Kevin Love | Dave Cowens | Serge Ibaka
C: Hakeem Olajuwon | Dave Cowens

9th seed
PG: Chauncey Billups - Pete Maravich
SG: Kawhi Leonard - JJ Redick - Sam Jones
SF: Rick Barry - Dennis Rodman - Sam Jones
PF: Dennis Rodman - Blake Griffin
C: Bill Walton - Charles Oakley

valade16
01-04-2017, 07:56 PM
First, congratulations to UTB for his upset victory round 1.

A couple of things about the matchup. First I have MJ and Hakeem, perhaps the two greatest two way players ever. Both were excellent offensive players meaning he won't be able to double team both. In fact he won't be able to double team Hakeem with Rodman because Love will force him from the paint and knock down 3's unless a Rodman is on him. Love is also a strong matchup here because he is a strong rebounder to combat Rodman's rebounds there and won't have to worry about getting torched on the defensive end either.

At the end of the day I simply don't think his team has enough offense to keep up with mine. Rodman won't score points. Billups and Walton have never averaged 20 PPG over a season, that's 3/5 starters not being volume scorers, not good for an all-time and definitely not good when facing the best offensive weapon ever along with 3 other players who at one point or another averaged 25 PPG for a season. (4/5 of my starting lineup)

Avenged
01-04-2017, 08:18 PM
How do 2 top 10 players (some even argue Hakeem as high as #6) end up on the same team? They should just hand that team the "championship".

Shammyguy3
01-04-2017, 08:28 PM
How do 2 top 10 players (some even argue Hakeem as high as #6) end up on the same team? They should just hand that team the "championship".

MJ - Hakeem
Duncan - Wilt
Shaq - Magic
Kareem - Oscar

notable duos in this game - GMs sent private bids and sometimes a GM wins two players

Ebbs
01-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Kawhi vs. Jordan is as good as it gets.

Rodman and Walton might be best defensive frontcourt in the game.

Hakeem and MJ got to carry a huge load. MJ has to guard Barry and get guarded by Klaw. While Hakeem has to body Walt and bang with both Walton/Rodman.

UPSET CITY baby!

valade16
01-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Kawhi vs. Jordan is as good as it gets.

Rodman and Walton might be best defensive frontcourt in the game.

Hakeem and MJ got to carry a huge load. MJ has to guard Barry and get guarded by Klaw. While Hakeem has to body Walt and bang with both Walton/Rodman.

UPSET CITY baby!

Not that it matters but:

1: There is no one better in NBA History of carrying a top offensive and defensive load than MJ.

2: He doesn't have to carry a huge load offensively with 3 other 25 PPG scorers in Rice/Love/Hakeem

3: If Rodman is banging down load with Walton on Hakeem is he leaving Love open to shoot 3's?

4: Mostly I'm just angry you spoiled my shutout lol

Chronz
01-05-2017, 08:57 PM
My god, Alvin Robertson (the only guy who could effectively check MJ back in the day) with MJ+Hakeem. Thats like the greatest defensive foundation ever. You're only weakness is a lack of ball movement by comparison and the lack of spacing in the backcourt but when you're that talented does it even matter? Love is the obvious weak link defensively and I know hes your stretch-4 but his stops in Cleveland have made it clear its abit of a misuse of his talents if hes focusing on that, hes not the best shooter but I guess hes better than most in this draft.

9th seed is greater than the sum of its parts because of how they fit. Chauncey is prolly the most efficient facilitator outside of Curry ever(note, not playmaker or distributor) and Walton is the same as a C. He also has Kawhi to slow down MJ and Rick Barry will vastly outplay Glen Rice. Despite all that, its hard to best the 1 seed unless you have perfect matchups clear across the table.