PDA

View Full Version : Will Kawhi end up as the greatest perimeter defender?

FlashBolt
01-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Most people have the Pips as the GOAT perimeter defender. Discuss.

mrblisterdundee
01-05-2017, 02:24 AM
He's off to a better start than Scottie Pippen, but Kawhi Leonard needs a longer resume to become the greatest, which I think he can do.

ewing
01-05-2017, 10:10 AM
No. Bowen was actually a better lock down defender then both. Pip was a better helper/roamer. KL is a combo of the two.

Scoots
01-05-2017, 10:25 AM
No.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2017, 11:10 AM
nope.

valade16
01-05-2017, 11:35 AM
How many guys are realistically ahead of him at this point?

He's already tied for the most DPOY from a non-C in NBA History. To say he doesn't have a chance when he's like 25 seems ridiculous to me. He has the best chance of anyone I can ever recall to do it.

kdspurman
01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
No. Bowen was actually a better lock down defender then both. Pip was a better helper/roamer. KL is a combo of the two.

I've watched Bowen, and he was not a better lock down defender. He was more pesky and physical, etc... But Kawhi makes guys go ghost at times. Bowen did it sometimes sure. But Kawhi does it better

kdspurman
01-05-2017, 12:46 PM

He's already tied for the most DPOY from a non-C in NBA History. To say he doesn't have a chance when he's like 25 seems ridiculous to me. He has the best chance of anyone I can ever recall to do it.

Agreed.

He def has a chance. His motor is unbelievable

Heediot
01-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Pippen played in an era where he was allowed more leeway as a perimeter defender so it's hard to say. I don't know how well Pippen would do in this era, but I think Kawhi based on his skills and attributes could do just as well in the hand-checking era.

BrutallyHonest
01-06-2017, 02:20 AM

Accolades are deceiving. Guys like Pippen and Bowen played in eras where they had to share the defensive spotlight with some of the all-time greatest paint defenders. Pippen had Olajuwon, David Robinson, Mutombo, Mourning, etc in his era. Bowen was competing against his own teammate in Prime Tim Duncan, Garnett, Mourning, Ben Wallace, etc. Kawhi's DPOY competition is extremely weak in comparison and I can see him stacking those accolades over the years where he sticks out as the premier defender.

valade16
01-06-2017, 02:31 AM
Accolades are deceiving. Guys like Pippen and Bowen played in eras where they had to share the defensive spotlight with some of the all-time greatest paint defenders. Pippen had Olajuwon, David Robinson, Mutombo, Mourning, etc in his era. Bowen was competing against his own teammate in Prime Tim Duncan, Garnett, Mourning, Ben Wallace, etc. Kawhi's DPOY competition is extremely weak in comparison and I can see him stacking those accolades over the years where he sticks out as the premier defender.

They can be deceiving yes just focusing on one but it's not like Pippen and Bowen don't have accolades, both have among the most All-Defensive teams of all-time. Bottom line if you are elite you will be recognized by one or the other (or both). Realistically how many guys are ahead of him? I vividly remember Bowen and IMO Kawhi is a better defender.

Chronz
01-06-2017, 04:00 AM
Pippen played in an era where he was allowed more leeway as a perimeter defender so it's hard to say. I don't know how well Pippen would do in this era, but I think Kawhi based on his skills and attributes could do just as well in the hand-checking era.
I think pippen would do better in the zone era tbh. He has the tools and pride to thrive under any set of rules. Some have said being light of foot is better than physicality today. Post play is harder today and when You look back at the guys i remember giving Pippen problems it was the bigger wings who posted you up. The Jamaal Mashburns, the Big Dawgs and of course Penny that one year. My memory is hazy but i remember pip more for his pressure and versatility. He would be Like Bron back in the day.

Capital G
01-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Assuming he keeps this up i think he will. he will pile on DPOY awards and All-D teams.

ewing
01-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I think pippen would do better in the zone era tbh. He has the tools and pride to thrive under any set of rules. Some have said being light of foot is better than physicality today. Post play is harder today and when You look back at the guys i remember giving Pippen problems it was the bigger wings who posted you up. The Jamaal Mashburns, the Big Dawgs and of course Penny that one year. My memory is hazy but i remember pip more for his pressure and versatility. He would be Like Bron back in the day.

X-Man made him his *****

HouRealCoach
01-09-2017, 02:25 AM
He definitely has a great chance

KnicksorBust
01-09-2017, 12:53 PM

PSD had to wait over 3 years for this 1st post. Not a bad start.

KnicksorBust
01-09-2017, 12:55 PM
With the transformation of the game going to more small-ball lineups, less post-play, more stretch big men, and a huge emphasis on pick and roll switching Kawhi could keep getting DPOY awards. Does Kawhi really have a weakness defensively? I'm completely comfortable putting him in the top 5 already. Longevity helps but that is more for career comparisons. A label like "greatest perimeter defender" you don't need 15 years of it imo to prove you are in the conversation.