PDA

View Full Version : Pettiest superstar

mrblisterdundee
12-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Shea Serrano, one of my favorite NBA writers, declared LeBron James the pettiest basketball superstar, narrowly edging out Russell Westbrook. His scoring was based on James' petty jabs at the Warriors after defeating them, and Westbrook's passive-aggressive barrage against Kevin Durant since he left Oklahoma City.

The best version of petty, though, is ... where the petty barb is supposed to make the target a little bit upset while making everyone else laugh.
- Shea Serrano, The Ringer (https://theringer.com/lebron-james-russell-westbrook-2016-nba-pettyweight-champion-6649fd77d828#.xjv0udj6m)
There are some pretty choice examples:
• Playing in Cleveland for the first time since beating the Cavaliers in the 2015 finals, Stephen Curry comments about the visitors' locker room, "Hopefully it still smells a little bit like champagne." Hosting the Warriors for the first time since beating them in the 2016 finals, James hangs a poster of him blocking Andre Iguoudala's shot — complete with a photoshopped championship ring — just down the hall from the Warriors' locker room.
• On the Fourth of July, Westbrook posts a picture of a three-tiered platter of red, white and blue cupcakes, a term used by some Thunder players to describe someone as soft. The top tier has eight cupcakes, the number of years Durant and Westbrook played together. The bottom and middle tier add up to 35, Durant's number.

Westbrook is like the Nicolas Cage–in–National Treasure of petty acts, and I love him so much for it.
Anytime anyone has asked Westbrook about these episodes, he’s denied any connection to Durant. He has, for the most part, ignored Durant’s entire existence, which is an effective mental warfare tactic.
- Serrano
I personally thought Westbrook's pettiness surpasses James', but it was a very entertaining feature nonetheless.

Rivera
12-29-2016, 06:35 PM
whoever called TNT that asked to never appear on Shaqtin a fool, thats the pettiest nba superstar

FlashBolt
12-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Whoever wrote that article needs to find a legitimate career. What the hell is this? Someone is employing a worker to write this crap?

Vee-Rex
12-29-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm cool with the jabs at Curry and the Warriors because they happened after the Warriors were arrogant themselves.

There are other petty things about Bron that could be mentioned instead.

Also, I really suspect Durant might have been the one to have his agent try to keep him off Shaqtin.

One Nut Kruk
12-29-2016, 08:37 PM
The reason you're cool with it wouldn't have anything to do with you being a Cavs fan.

tredigs
12-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Whoever wrote that article needs to find a legitimate career. What the hell is this? Someone is employing a worker to write this crap?

He's ****ing hilarious, and worth every penny.

tredigs
12-29-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm cool with the jabs at Curry and the Warriors because they happened after the Warriors were arrogant themselves.

There are other petty things about Bron that could be mentioned instead.

Also, I really suspect Durant might have been the one to have his agent try to keep him off Shaqtin.

I suspect it was 'Bron. Goes along with him and his team trying to erase all videos of a college Jordan Crawford smashing on him at his skills academy from existence. Has KD ever been on Shaqtin' A Fool period? With his game I sort of doubt it.

mrblisterdundee
12-29-2016, 09:33 PM

Do you have no sense of humor? Serrano does more serious analysis, but this was meant to be a funny look into the light jabs between NBA players. Westbrook has such an intense and sometimes fragile personality. He makes great fodder.

Scoots
12-29-2016, 11:51 PM
I think KD has been on Shaqtin before.

I vote LeBron just for ALL the passive aggressive BS he's done over the years.

tredigs
12-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Serrano loves Westbrook/Bron and their pettiness (if that wasn't clear in the piece).

tredigs
12-30-2016, 12:00 AM
I think KD has been on Shaqtin before.

I vote LeBron just for ALL the passive aggressive BS he's done over the years.

I'd honestly be curious to see for what. I mean I've watched this guys entire career since he came to OKC and he just doesn't make "Shaqtin' mistakes". Lebron will overshoot on some of his crazy passes here and there and it will look silly as ****, but KD doesn't try those so it's sort of a moot point for him.

Giannis94
12-30-2016, 01:04 AM

Jamiecballer
12-30-2016, 01:13 AM
I question whether the guy actually knows what petty is. And I'm not being petty. Reminds me of Alanis Morrisettes "ironic" where none of the examples in the song were actually irony lmao

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

AI
12-30-2016, 02:34 AM
When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of LeBron.

IKnowHoops
12-30-2016, 02:52 AM
Lebron is definitely the most petty NBA player...
...but...
...its because he has the most to loose...because he has by far the biggest brand, and he's worked awfully hard to get it there. Its him and then the rest of the NBA. To get as big as he is, its something you don't want to let go of or jeopardize in anyway, and if there is something out there that can harm it, then he is going to get worried. And being petty will happen.

But his ratio of pettiness to brand size is not the near the top.
His Brand is much bigger than anyones, but there are players that are close to if not more petty.

I mean, in some situations some guys are more petty.

DURANT is petty as hell. Remember when he tried to act hard that one year. He's jumped down some reporters throats. He's damn near demoralized some reporters for them just doing there jobs. I've seen Lebron roll his eyes at a reporter before, but he has never gone in on a reporter the way I have seen KD numerous times. And then getting into it with Stephen A? LOL. That is some petty a-- s---.

Durant comes off as the guy who acts mad and tough, even though he's not mad, but just wants to take an opportunity to flex.

Hebron maybe petty, but there are a lot of super stars who are much bigger b-------, and Durant is one of them.

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2016, 02:01 PM
I'd honestly be curious to see for what. I mean I've watched this guys entire career since he came to OKC and he just doesn't make "Shaqtin' mistakes". Lebron will overshoot on some of his crazy passes here and there and it will look silly as ****, but KD doesn't try those so it's sort of a moot point for him.

He was just on Shaqtin' a Fool for tripping up after a possible trip by Richard Jefferson against the Cavaliers on Christmas. Honestly, it shouldn't have been on the program, even if it did help decide the game. Any NBA player can trip up a bit sometimes. There must have been a shortage of truly ignominious moments that week.

tredigs
12-30-2016, 02:08 PM
He was just on Shaqtin' a Fool for tripping up after a possible trip by Richard Jefferson against the Cavaliers on Christmas. Honestly, it shouldn't have been on the program, even if it did help decide the game. Any NBA player can trip up a bit sometimes. There must have been a shortage of truly ignominious moments that week.

When RJ stepped on his foot and pushed him? Lol that was just a savvy cheap-shot by the vet, not a mistake by KD. Surprised that made it on too.

valade16
12-30-2016, 02:27 PM
When RJ stepped on his foot and pushed him? Lol that was just a savvy cheap-shot by the vet, not a mistake by KD. Surprised that made it on too.

Clearly unbiased analysis of that play lol

Vee-Rex
12-30-2016, 03:01 PM
The reason you're cool with it wouldn't have anything to do with you being a Cavs fan.

Right.

I suspect it was 'Bron. Goes along with him and his team trying to erase all videos of a college Jordan Crawford smashing on him at his skills academy from existence. Has KD ever been on Shaqtin' A Fool period? With his game I sort of doubt it.

It's a consensus top 5 player though... you'd think they'd say consensus top 3 player if referring to LeBron (unless they were intentionally trying to be more vague about it). I guess a consensus top 5 would cut our Durant too.

Either way, it does fit Bron's personality to have his agent make that request.

PowerHouse
12-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Reminds me of Alanis Morrisettes "ironic" where none of the examples in the song were actually irony lmao

Exactly.

The only thing ironic about the song was that nothing was actually ironic.

PowerHouse
12-30-2016, 04:00 PM
whoever called TNT that asked to never appear on Shaqtin a fool, thats the pettiest nba superstar

Wouldnt that just make Shaq put him in 'Shaqtin' way more often though? I mean Shaq does like fcuckin' with people a lot. And then whats the guy gonna do later when he's mad about it? Beat Shaq up?

IKnowHoops
12-30-2016, 04:47 PM
I question whether the guy actually knows what petty is. And I'm not being petty. Reminds me of Alanis Morrisettes "ironic" where none of the examples in the song were actually irony lmao

Exactly.

The only thing ironic about the song was that nothing was actually ironic.

OK, I guess I don't know what ironic means. Wouldn't "good advice, that you just can't take" be ironic. Since irony is...
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

PowerHouse
12-30-2016, 05:20 PM
That might be the one example where she got it right.

Everything else is either bad luck or coincidence.

Giannis94
12-30-2016, 06:17 PM
When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of LeBron.

And curry. SPAK is more of a teachers pet while Curry is the kid that gets ID'd at bars until he's mid-60's

Jamiecballer
12-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Rain on my wedding day, how ironic!

tredigs
01-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Clearly unbiased analysis of that play lol

Lol. Is there another version of that play? The NBA admitted as much after the fact. Unless they're in on it too? I don't think it was "bad" by any means when I say cheap, but I know RJ's game from when he was a Warrior recently. He's cheap, some call it "crafty vet moves".