PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best fit for Rudy Gay?

Jeffy25
12-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Likely to be traded, who fits the best?

Any trade suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
12-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Are they still looking to kove him? I thought he was playing well.

Chronz
12-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Are they still looking to kove him? I thought he was playing well.
He's not coming back and He's playing his *** off for that contact or to be shipped

Cracka2HI!
12-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Clipps are always linked to him cause of the need for a SF. Not sure he would help though. I do think he'd help when Blake is hurt but not sure their games would mesh. Not sure how the Clipps could get him either. I actually think Austin Rivers might be a good fit there and might be even be the best deal they could get for Gay. I doubt Doc would trade his son.

sep11ie
12-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Houston for KJ McDaniels, Corey Brewer, Tyler Ennis and a 2nd round pick.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2016, 01:44 PM

if you trade Brewer, you trade away literally the only reason I can stomach watching Houston

tredigs
12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Clipps are always linked to him cause of the need for a SF. Not sure he would help though. I do think he'd help when Blake is hurt but not sure their games would mesh. Not sure how the Clipps could get him either. I actually think Austin Rivers might be a good fit there and might be even be the best deal they could get for Gay. I doubt Doc would trade his son.

LOL how is Austin Rivers the best they can get? He's arguably the worst rotation player in the NBA. Seems like wishful thinking my dude.

sep11ie
12-29-2016, 02:31 PM
if you trade Brewer, you trade away literally the only reason I can stomach watching Houston

Really? Cause he is one of the few that is hard for me to stomach watching.

Hawkeye15
12-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Really? Cause he is one of the few that is hard for me to stomach watching.

well I lived in Houston for a long time, and watched them way too much (though I liked the TMac/Yao teams). I just despise all that is James Harden, and the way he plays. Probably better this year, with Dwight, and Terry gone, but I just can't watch them.

Brewer is hilarious. He can either make a monster play, or just be so out of control it's like watching a 7 year old, all in the same play.

5ass
12-29-2016, 03:22 PM
He's been rumoured to come to the Magic. I dont really like Gay, but he's not a bad player. I just dont really want him around for the next 4 years. So if the Magic get him, I'd hope its a rental and he leaves in FA. He'd be a nice upgrade over Jeff Green for this season though and help the Magic make the play offs. Hopefully the Magic don't give up much to get him. Gay isn't worth Vucevic IMO. Vucevic is locked into a 12 mill/yr contract.

warfelg
12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
He's been rumoured to come to the Magic. I dont really like Gay, but he's not a bad player. I just dont really want him around for the next 4 years. So if the Magic get him, I'd hope its a rental and he leaves in FA. He'd be a nice upgrade over Jeff Green for this season though and help the Magic make the play offs. Hopefully the Magic don't give up much to get him. Gay isn't worth Vucevic IMO. Vucevic is locked into a 12 mill/yr contract.

Woof. Gay on a team that already struggles to shoot? That's tough.

Jeffy25
12-29-2016, 03:48 PM

That trade would work, but Sacramento is going to want more I would think, even if it's just half a year of Gay.

Sacramento is trying to make the playoffs while needing to trade him away.

5ass
12-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Woof. Gay on a team that already struggles to shoot? That's tough.

He's a decent scorer and shooter. His 3 Pt% is almost average. Have you seen Jeff Green play this season? Gay is a huge upgrade.

Cracka2HI!
12-29-2016, 07:56 PM
LOL how is Austin Rivers the best they can get? He's arguably the worst rotation player in the NBA. Seems like wishful thinking my dude.

I don't think there is any kind of market for Gay. That's basically what I'm saying. I think the PSD notion that Austin is "arguably the worst rotation player in the NBA" is ridiculous. I obviously can't win that argument here against the PSD consensus but it really is silly in my mind. For example Sep brought up a trade with Houston. It seems like better value but if you look at the stats Austin is easily having better year than Brewer and McDaniels combined. Ennis and a 2nd is obviously next to nothing. On PSD Sep's Houston idea is probably considered viable while mine is considered trash. In real life Austin is a 24 year old player who's shown major improvement who may fit the Kings need at PG or SG. So anyhow, saying Rivers may be the best they can get is more of a comment on the market for Gay and not so much an evaluation of whether that is "fair" value. What I really think is that the Kings will lose him for nothing.

tredigs
12-29-2016, 09:32 PM
I don't think there is any kind of market for Gay. That's basically what I'm saying. I think the PSD notion that Austin is "arguably the worst rotation player in the NBA" is ridiculous. I obviously can't win that argument here against the PSD consensus but it really is silly in my mind. For example Sep brought up a trade with Houston. It seems like better value but if you look at the stats Austin is easily having better year than Brewer and McDaniels combined. Ennis and a 2nd is obviously next to nothing. On PSD Sep's Houston idea is probably considered viable while mine is considered trash. In real life Austin is a 24 year old player who's shown major improvement who may fit the Kings need at PG or SG. So anyhow, saying Rivers may be the best they can get is more of a comment on the market for Gay and not so much an evaluation of whether that is "fair" value. What I really think is that the Kings will lose him for nothing.

Rudy Gay is a highly skilled (albeit flawed) player on a good contract. Austin Rivers is just a trash player who would no longer be seeing regular NBA minutes if his dad was not his coach.

Giannis94
12-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Cleveland.

Gotta get that gay-love connectiom going, if it isn't already.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Cracka2HI!
12-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Rudy Gay is a highly skilled (albeit flawed) player on a good contract. Austin Rivers is just a trash player who would no longer be seeing regular NBA minutes if his dad was not his coach.

I agree about Gay and I agree that PSD thinks what you say about Austin is true. I watch him play a lot and that's not even close to true imo. I'm not saying he's the greatest but I would imagine there are stats out there that show he's a league average player or at least close to it. Plays 25 mpg, 10 ppg on 44% and 40% from 3. His biggest strength is his defense. PER isn't good at 11.4 but there are certainly players in the league with worse. Probably well over 100 of them. I don't think Austin Rivers is a "good" player but if all I have to do is prove he's not the worst player in the league I'd have no problem doing it.

GodsSon
12-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Oddly enough, if he was to accept a more limited role on offence, he could be a pretty solid stretch 4 for the Raps.

IndyRealist
12-29-2016, 11:07 PM

Austin Rivers, Corey Brewer, and KJ McDaniels are all equally crappy players. But Austin has 167 more minutes than Corey and KJ combined. Being a crappy player who gets more minutes hurts your team more than being a crappy player who gets less minutes.

Cracka2HI!
12-29-2016, 11:30 PM
tbh saying Austin is equally as crappy as Brewer and McDaniels is the best thing I've seen someone say about him on this site. I would use mediocre instead of crappy but I don't really have a problem with that assessment.

ewing
12-29-2016, 11:55 PM
tbh saying Austin is equally as crappy as Brewer and McDaniels is the best thing I've seen someone say about him on this site. I would use mediocre instead of crappy but I don't really have a problem with that assessment.

Agreed. I actually don't mind Austin or Brewer as bit mins guys. Brewer is my favorite player of the bunch but it comes down to what you need with there guys

tredigs
12-29-2016, 11:57 PM

He is not mediocre lol. I was going to post his RPM for reference but it's so low that it's outside of the top 40 at his position and I can't search the next page(s) for some reason. Just a selfish/inefficient player (granted his 3 has been solid this year, but I'd be surprised if it did not dip shortly) who rates terribly in every advanced/standard metric you can find.

If Doc pulled off Gay for him, it would be the steal of this decade.

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2016, 01:13 AM
Gay's a tough fit anywhere, considering how average he is across the board. Sure, he's scoring. But it's slim pickings in Sacramento, which is trying to pump up his value and get someone to bite.
Sacramento still a pile of gas-soaked rags in need of a light. Cousins can still get them the big haul, if they stop being foolish and trying to hang on. Gay, meanwhile, could probably get them an expiring contract and a young asset.
If I could get Tyreke Evans' expiring $10 million contract and Tim Frazier, I would take that. Then get that big haul for Cousins, and buy a consultant to teach their front office how basketball works.

Giannis94
12-30-2016, 01:20 AM
He is not mediocre lol. I was going to post his RPM for reference but it's so low that it's outside of the top 40 at his position and I can't search the next page(s) for some reason. Just a selfish/inefficient player (granted his 3 has been solid this year, but I'd be surprised if it did not dip shortly) who rates terribly in every advanced/standard metric you can find.

If Doc pulled off Gay for him, it would be the steal of this decade.

You are really giving the Kings too much credit here. Thats a move I expect them to make for the reasons you hsve provided.

ewing
12-30-2016, 03:15 AM
Gay's a tough fit anywhere, considering how average he is across the board. Sure, he's scoring. But it's slim pickings in Sacramento, which is trying to pump up his value and get someone to bite.
Sacramento still a pile of gas-soaked rags in need of a light. Cousins can still get them the big haul, if they stop being foolish and trying to hang on. Gay, meanwhile, could probably get them an expiring contract and a young asset.
If I could get Tyreke Evans' expiring $10 million contract and Tim Frazier, I would take that. Then get that big haul for Cousins, and buy a consultant to teach their front office how basketball works.

i agree with your assessment but also think that even though Sac sucks getting the ball there is slim pickings for everyone b/c cousins has it in his hands all the time.

KingPosey
12-30-2016, 05:59 AM

Lol Austin Rivers?

R. Johnson#3
12-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Oddly enough, if he was to accept a more limited role on offence, he could be a pretty solid stretch 4 for the Raps.

No, not in a million billion years. Imagine Gay and JV on defence together. Also I find it hard to believe that Gay would accept a limited role.

Chronz
12-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Lol Austin Rivers?
Doc would never do it even if it was doable

Heediot
12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Doc would never do it even if it was doable

Doc is the main reason I am slowly getting turned off by the Clippers. Paul will always one of my favs but this guy plays pure favoritism with his rotations. He is manipulating his role in the organization in favor of nepotism. In his role wins should be favored over family and buddies (see Pierce and other former Celts). He is a ****** gm in general so there is an outside chance it may be incompetence and not nepotism. How many first round picks did he throw away for the Clips??

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2016, 12:33 PM
i agree with your assessment but also think that even though Sac sucks getting the ball there is slim pickings for everyone b/c cousins has it in his hands all the time.

Cousins does have a 37 percent usage rate. Maybe Sacramento is trying to keep his value as high as possible before trading him one can only hope.

ewing
12-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Cousins does have a 37 percent usage rate. Maybe Sacramento is trying to keep his value as high as possible before trading him one can only hope.

it not just usage. If how long he holds the ball when he has it. In the couple games i've seen DC has the ball in this hands all the time. People talk trash about Melo on here but DC is the biggest ball stopper in the league.

Chronz
12-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Doc is the main reason I am slowly getting turned off by the Clippers. Paul will always one of my favs but this guy plays pure favoritism with his rotations. He is manipulating his role in the organization in favor of nepotism. In his role wins should be favored over family and buddies (see Pierce and other former Celts). He is a ****** gm in general so there is an outside chance it may be incompetence and not nepotism. How many first round picks did he throw away for the Clips??
What's a first round pick. Aren't those what you have to give up anytime you make a trade. Compensation rule or something?

Heediot
12-30-2016, 12:55 PM
What's a first round pick. Aren't those what you have to give up anytime you make a trade. Compensation rule or something?

I think he threw it one away for Jeff Green. He traded away one to get rid of Dudley to the Bucks. I am sure he would throw away more picks if he was allowed to. Not too sure if you can trade away first round picks in consecutive years lol.

He has a few good moments as Gm but the bad outweigh the good by at least 2-1 or maybe even 3-1.

A bright spot with him as GM is he attracts buy out players or cheap veteran help. The down side is, more don't pan out under his tutelage vs. ones that do. This is even going back to his days in Boston (coach only).

Cracka2HI!
12-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Doc has been trash as the GM. However I do like the team on paper this year. Things have gone about as poorly as possible since the incredible start but I think they will turn it back around. I HATE that he just threw away so many picks for nothing. It was really only the 2 you mention but they had to give up another pick to bring Doc in. So it was 3 in total. Ironically the only good trade I think he made was for Austin. Lawrence Frank is the GM now so I'm hoping some order will be restored. After the 2017 draft the team will only be down 1 pick, the 2019 pick that was wasted on 20 games of Jeff Green in a season with zero chance to win a title.

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2016, 01:54 PM
it not just usage. If how long he holds the ball when he has it. In the couple games i've seen DC has the ball in this hands all the time. People talk trash about Melo on here but DC is the biggest ball stopper in the league.

DeMarcus Cousins is also way more effective than Carmelo Anthony, who's barely playing better than Rudy Gay right now.

ewing
12-30-2016, 02:19 PM
DeMarcus Cousins is also way more effective than Carmelo Anthony, who's barely playing better than Rudy Gay right now.

He effectively sucks. He limits everyone around him and is a constant distraction. Melo is a flawed player as well and i only brought him up bc some posters kill Mello for flaws that DC also has but worship D.C. bc of his perceived efficiency

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2016, 02:25 PM
He effectively sucks. He limits everyone around him and is a constant distraction. Melo is a flawed player as well and i only brought him up bc some posters kill Mello for flaws that DC also has but worship D.C. bc of his perceived efficiency

Cousins' stats are definitely a product of high usage and ball-stopping, but he's a tier up from Anthony at this point. I'm serious about my previous comparison. Anthony is a slightly better version of Gay at this point.

ewing
12-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Cousins' stats are definitely a product of high usage and ball-stopping, but he's a tier up from Anthony at this point. I'm serious about my previous comparison. Anthony is a slightly better version of Gay at this point.

I don't think we disagree much. To a degree but that's all. Hopefully melo can have a strong finish. I do think his habits have improved even though his game has declined

mrblisterdundee
12-30-2016, 05:43 PM
I don't think we disagree much. To a degree but that's all. Hopefully melo can have a strong finish. I do think his habits have improved even though his game has declined

He, Kristaps and the rest of the Knicks would probably also benefit from a more pass-first point guard like John Wall.

Chronz
12-30-2016, 08:16 PM
He, Kristaps and the rest of the Knicks would probably also benefit from a more pass-first point guard like John Wall.
Wall scores alot tho

ewing
12-30-2016, 10:33 PM

Melo needs catch and shoot opportunities. I don't know if wall gets him that. He certainly is a better passer then Rose but he can't shoot a jump shot himself. Melo is at his best when he is at the four with other shooters on the floor. He can still be a good one on one player at times but it shouldn't be where his bread is buttered. Right now he isn't getting many of those opportunities.

Cracka2HI!
12-30-2016, 10:47 PM
I think the Knicks should Melo......

For Austin Rivers :hide:

IKnowHoops
12-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Back to Gay... The easy/obvious/scariest/homer answer is the Cavs. Playing with Lebron means playing off of him to your strength, and in your most efficient and comfortable lane. As Tre said, dude has flaws and Skills and a pretty good NBA body. He would add another way for the Cavs to take advantage of a team. Rudy would probably ball on the Cavs and show his intelligence as an NBA player. Just another tool to the Swiss Army knife that are the Cavs. But this matchup between the Warriors and Cavs is so tight that that one extra blade, or lack there of, could be what inches this game one way or the other.

europagnpilgrim
12-31-2016, 12:19 AM
Back to Gay... The easy/obvious/scariest/homer answer is the Cavs. Playing with Lebron means playing off of him to your strength, and in your most efficient and comfortable lane. As Tre said, dude has flaws and Skills and a pretty good NBA body. He would add another way for the Cavs to take advantage of a team. Rudy would probably ball on the Cavs and show his intelligence as an NBA player. Just another tool to the Swiss Army knife that are the Cavs. But this matchup between the Warriors and Cavs is so tight that that one extra blade, or lack there of, could be what inches this game one way or the other.

He would be a upgrade over RJ and could take over his minutes and thrive nicely I feel, especially being a vet and going from a losing to winning org. over night

what would the Cavs have to offer to make that happen?

Wade n Fade
12-31-2016, 01:28 PM
I think Rudy Gay is an inherently flawed player to be a "good fit" anywhere. When Toronto traded him, they got a lot better. Memphis played better team basketball without Rudy. Rudy is a high volume scorer first and foremost. As a long time vet, you would think he could acclimate his game to play for a TEAM. Sacramento is a dumpster fire and they should seek out whoever presents the best offer. If the best offer comes from an OKC, a Houston, or another squad, then trade him immediately. Sacramento better be prepared to take back a trash player, preferably on an expiring contract. Pieces will come with the expiring obviously.

IKnowHoops
12-31-2016, 03:37 PM
He would be a upgrade over RJ and could take over his minutes and thrive nicely I feel, especially being a vet and going from a losing to winning org. over night

what would the Cavs have to offer to make that happen?

I have no idea. I think the Cavs still have a $10m player exception. I don't know what Sac would make a team pay for him...maybe they just want to get rid of him.

The JR injury especially makes him a necessity. I'd probably move James to the two and start Rudy at the 3.

Once JR comes back, he and Shump will come off the bench together for the rest of the season and playoffs.

I mean, that would be my dream scenario for this year at this point. I like the dimension that Rudy would bring to this team. I think he could be a 30 min player averaging about 14/8 on good efficiency.

IKnowHoops
12-31-2016, 03:43 PM
I think Rudy Gay is an inherently flawed player to be a "good fit" anywhere. When Toronto traded him, they got a lot better. Memphis played better team basketball without Rudy. Rudy is a high volume scorer first and foremost. As a long time vet, you would think he could acclimate his game to play for a TEAM. Sacramento is a dumpster fire and they should seek out whoever presents the best offer. If the best offer comes from an OKC, a Houston, or another squad, then trade him immediately. Sacramento better be prepared to take back a trash player, preferably on an expiring contract. Pieces will come with the expiring obviously.

If your asking Gay to carry a team offensively, yeah he's gonna have glaring flaws. But if you ask him to play off Lebron and move smart without the ball and simply make the smart play because he can trust that all of his teammates are gonna do the same as well as finish and score when they are the beneficiaries of the right play he just made, he's going to be perfect.

Couple that with knowing Bron makes the rules and this is how they play. Gay would easily flourish on the Cavs. And the Cavs would benefit.

Wade n Fade
12-31-2016, 03:56 PM
If your asking Gay to carry a team offensively, yeah he's gonna have glaring flaws. But if you ask him to play off Lebron and move smart without the ball and simply make the smart play because he can trust that all of his teammates are gonna do the same as well as finish and score when they are the beneficiaries of the right play he just made, he's going to be perfect.

Couple that with knowing Bron makes the rules and this is how they play. Gay would easily flourish on the Cavs. And the Cavs would benefit.

That's assuming Gay can learn how to play with stars and being a role player. I don't think he is that type of guy. It takes a lot to sacrifice going from being a 2nd option on a bad squad to being a role player on a title contender. That's one of the reasons why Bosh warned Love about readjusting his game big time to be a third wheel. It's not as drastic as Gay's potential adjustment, but it's still a big ask.

IKnowHoops
12-31-2016, 04:38 PM
That's assuming Gay can learn how to play with stars and being a role player. I don't think he is that type of guy. It takes a lot to sacrifice going from being a 2nd option on a bad squad to being a role player on a title contender. That's one of the reasons why Bosh warned Love about readjusting his game big time to be a third wheel. It's not as drastic as Gay's potential adjustment, but it's still a big ask.

I think it will be easy just because he will be reinvigorated by winning

Vee-Rex
12-31-2016, 06:20 PM
I have no idea. I think the Cavs still have a $10m player exception. I don't know what Sac would make a team pay for him...maybe they just want to get rid of him.

The JR injury especially makes him a necessity. I'd probably move James to the two and start Rudy at the 3.

Once JR comes back, he and Shump will come off the bench together for the rest of the season and playoffs.

I mean, that would be my dream scenario for this year at this point. I like the dimension that Rudy would bring to this team. I think he could be a 30 min player averaging about 14/8 on good efficiency.

Yep, we got a 10m player exception still from the Andy deal last year.

I wouldn't be opposed to Rudy but I feel like we need a big man badly. Having only Love/Thompson/Frye on our entire team makes me feel really uneasy. I would love to acquire someone like Tyson Chandler or Kosta Koufos or Cole Aldrich. Someone like Dewayne Dedmon would be so perfect for us - I'm so jealous of the Spurs for having him.

We need to dump the dead weight at the end of our bench somehow too (Mo, Birdman).

Wade n Fade
12-31-2016, 11:51 PM
I think it will be easy just because he will be reinvigorated by winning

Since LeBron has a huge say in player personnel decisions, he probably wouldn't want the headache of dealing with Rudy Gay. He played with a solid Memphis team and did nothing. He seems to be a money and major option guy.

europagnpilgrim
01-01-2017, 05:29 AM

If the Cavs have that exception then I could see him being moved there at the deadline, didn't know they had that house money, that could work also moving James to SG and placing Gay in the starting lineup, that would be scary in transition since both play above the rim and Gay is a underrated spot up shooter, if Cavs make this move it would put them in even stronger position since Gay could guard KD/Klay and even Green in spot moments I imagine

your dream may come true since we all know the top contending teams usually get a key player around the deadline or if a player is bought out, I could also see Gay going to a Toronto or Clippers if it don't happen with the Cavs

europagnpilgrim
01-01-2017, 05:37 AM

Gay is a veteran at this stage in his career and he would be doing jumping jacks to go play with a title contender rather than rot on a barely 8th seed/easy 1st rd exit/dysfunctional squad

its not like he is going from 2nd option on a contender to a 4th option on a contender then he may cause a rift, Bosh and Love had to do it because they were in worse situations being 1st options but where younger and they wanted to win big since Bosh couldn't get out of 1st rd and Love didn't even sniff the playoffs and now finds himself going for 3 finals in 3 years with the Cavs as Bosh went to 4 in 4 years with Lebron

Gay is smart enough to figure that out, if not let him stay in Sac town and test the market this offseason

Gay will have a easier role to fill in Cleveland playing off the big 3 rather than playing with a big 1 in Cousins and his options will be to defend his position and finish on the break/half court and shoot wide open 3's and be a spot creator when James/Irving are resting, that's a easy role to fill when you have proven to do that for 10yrs

IKnowHoops
01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Since LeBron has a huge say in player personnel decisions, he probably wouldn't want the headache of dealing with Rudy Gay. He played with a solid Memphis team and did nothing. He seems to be a money and major option guy.

I doubt Rudy is a headache. Coaches and players on the Olympic team love him and he's been a solid player for them...better tha Draymond in the Olympics. He just needs a roll that caters to his skillset. He could easily find that roll on the Cavs.

Giannis94
01-02-2017, 11:57 PM
I doubt Rudy is a headache. Coaches and players on the Olympic team love him and he's been a solid player for them...better tha Draymond in the Olympics. He just needs a roll that caters to his skillset. He could easily find that roll on the Cavs.

Would love to see that defense, or lack there of, on that team. Can you imagine a Gay and love playing defense?

Oh dear god. Not the direction I had planned for the post to go, but I am strictly talking basketball. Anyone that thinks otherwise is perverted.

Jamiecballer
01-03-2017, 01:06 AM
Rudy Gay was the most selfish, least aware player I've ever seen in a raps uniform. It's not hard to tell which posters haven't experienced the Gay up close.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Giannis94
01-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Maybe Brooklyn so that they don't end up giving the top pick to Boston? I mean he can really score but not on a winning team.

IKnowHoops
01-17-2017, 02:53 AM
Any movement with Rudy?

Vinylman
01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Yep, we got a 10m player exception still from the Andy deal last year.

I wouldn't be opposed to Rudy but I feel like we need a big man badly. Having only Love/Thompson/Frye on our entire team makes me feel really uneasy. I would love to acquire someone like Tyson Chandler or Kosta Koufos or Cole Aldrich. Someone like Dewayne Dedmon would be so perfect for us - I'm so jealous of the Spurs for having him.

We need to dump the dead weight at the end of our bench somehow too (Mo, Birdman).

He doesn't fit into That exception so it really doesn't matter unless they can get a third team involved and do the normal NBA shenanigans to prop up the top teams