PDA

View Full Version : Two Foul Calls and a Miss

tolumba21
12-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Sunday's Christmas Day rematch between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors again showed just how blessed NBA fans are to have this rivalry between champions.

LeBron James and his Cavs again triumphed over the Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, this time in a 109-108 victory at Quicken Loans Arena that ended with the Warriors' prized offseason acquisition, Kevin Durant, heaving a desperation three-pointer from a seated position after being knocked to the ground by Cleveland's Richard Jefferson.

Cavs, Warriors again prove that another Finals rematch is the best thing for the NBA [ Now, the NBA says it agrees with Durant - and that it also missed another call in the final two minutes.

NBA admits it missed two foul calls on Cleveland at end of Warriors-Cavs https://www.washingtonpost.com/pwa/#https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/12/26/nba-admits-it-missed-two-foul-calls-on-cleveland-at-end-of-warriors-cavs/

NBA says refs missed two calls at end of Cavs-Warriors game http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-nba-warriors-cavaliers-missed-calls-spt-20161226-story.html

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Clint Olbrock
12-26-2016, 11:27 PM
Who cares, the last 2 minute report is flawed. You're missing 46 minutes of the game. Only admitting your flaws in 4% of the game doesn't do much good.

Scoots
12-26-2016, 11:37 PM
The NBA is instituting changes to the system used to review officials. They are going to grade them more often and are putting a system together to allow the coaches, execs, and players to complain or comment on the officials whenever they want which unbelievably has not been the case before.

That said, the Warriors lost a good game.

tredigs
12-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Yes, the blew a blatant foul that they call at any other moment, but who cares. Calls are missed both ways. It's a reg season game and the Warriors looked like the better team on the opponents floor, that's all I'm worried about.

BKLYNpigeon
12-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Who cares, It's just a regular season game. I would be more pissed if it was the playoffs.

hugepatsfan
12-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Who cares, the last 2 minute report is flawed. You're missing 46 minutes of the game. Only admitting your flaws in 4% of the game doesn't do much good.

The other missed calls don't make as big a difference to the game flow. If they miss a call when it's 42-34 in the 2nd quarter it makes no impact. It being 44-32 or 40-36 makes no real difference. When they make it a 4 point game instead of a 2 point game with 1:23 left it makes a huuuuuuuuuge difference in how the game is played. It's just a lot more important because of time.

Vee-Rex
12-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Yes, the blew a blatant foul that they call at any other moment, but who cares. Calls are missed both ways. It's a reg season game and the Warriors looked like the better team on the opponents floor, that's all I'm worried about.

I think the Cavs looked better. The Warriors led for most of the game but they've got some glaring and exploitable issues that they haven't fixed yet.

I watched the game for a 2nd time.

I saw a team barely maintaining a lead despite very poor shooting from every Cavalier except Bron while KD was having an incredible game, even for his own high standards. Curry was his normal injured self against us and if the Dubs need Draymond to have another finals game 7 type of game then they're very beatable.

GiantsSwaGG
12-27-2016, 12:38 AM
The refs missed 2 calls. OMG It's the end of the world

Clint Olbrock
12-27-2016, 01:04 AM
The other missed calls don't make as big a difference to the game flow. If they miss a call when it's 42-34 in the 2nd quarter it makes no impact. It being 44-32 or 40-36 makes no real difference. When they make it a 4 point game instead of a 2 point game with 1:23 left it makes a huuuuuuuuuge difference in how the game is played. It's just a lot more important because of time.

It adds up bro. You can't just ignore all the missed calls throughout the game and say the entire game hinges on this 4% of calls. Give me a 48 minute report or give me nothing.

The same look RJ gave KD after putting him on a poster is the EXACT thing KD did when he dunked on Love. The key difference is Love threw the ball the length of the court for a LBJ slam, where the Warriors took forever to inbound after KD was put on a poster.

Miltstar
12-27-2016, 01:38 AM

"Who cares if the refs give every important advantage to Cleveland!?! I'm a Cleveland fan!!"

Clint Olbrock
12-27-2016, 01:53 AM
"Who cares if the refs give every important advantage to Cleveland!?! I'm a Cleveland fan!!"

Minus the other 96% of the calls are missing from this report... lol

Scoots
12-27-2016, 10:50 AM
It adds up bro. You can't just ignore all the missed calls throughout the game and say the entire game hinges on this 4% of calls. Give me a 48 minute report or give me nothing.

Well, the NBA's new system will allow the players to report on the full 48. And if you think the first foul or missed foul call in a game has the same effect on the outcome as the last then you sir are not much of an NBA fan.

Giannis94
12-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Stars get the calls and Lebron runs the league. Wouldn't expect anything less.

bklynny67
12-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Surprise Lebron James team gets the calls in their favor

Vee-Rex
12-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Well, the NBA's new system will allow the players to report on the full 48. And if you think the first foul or missed foul call in a game has the same effect on the outcome as the last then you sir are not much of an NBA fan.

No, but they do have SOME kind of effect and shouldn't be completely ignored.

The Warriors have 2 top 3 players in the NBA, and 4 top 15'ish (certainly 4 top 20 players) in the NBA yet still were a bad call or two away from losing the game. This isn't directed at you, Scoots, but there's absolutely no excuses and when a poster gives zero input/analysis on the game and instead elects to complain about a bad call at the end, then it's whining.

The Warriors did not lose because of a missed call, they lost because they didn't play as well (due to a variety of reasons) as expected.

Scoots
12-27-2016, 12:48 PM
No, but they do have SOME kind of effect and shouldn't be completely ignored.

The Warriors have 2 top 3 players in the NBA, and 4 top 15'ish (certainly 4 top 20 players) in the NBA yet still were a bad call or two away from losing the game. This isn't directed at you, Scoots, but there's absolutely no excuses and when a poster gives zero input/analysis on the game and instead elects to complain about a bad call at the end, then it's whining.

The Warriors did not lose because of a missed call, they lost because they didn't play as well (due to a variety of reasons) as expected.

True enough. Though there is some major inconsistency in NBA officiating.

hugepatsfan
12-27-2016, 01:38 PM

The same look RJ gave KD after putting him on a poster is the EXACT thing KD did when he dunked on Love. The key difference is Love threw the ball the length of the court for a LBJ slam, where the Warriors took forever to inbound after KD was put on a poster.

Yeah 2 points is 2 points at the end of the game but it doesn't make any impact on the flow of the game if they miss a call in the 2nd quarter. Everything goes on just the same really. When they miss a call in the final 2 minutes the game drastically changes from that point on. It completely changes the course of the whole game and it's easily identifiable. It's more important because there's no time to "bury" the impact in. The missed call just stands on its own.

Clint Olbrock
12-27-2016, 02:03 PM
I 100% do not think they hold the same impact BUT I am also not as dense as some of these people who think the NBA admitting this means the Warriors were supposed to win... How are you going to blame your best player going 2/9 in the 4th and 0/5 in the final 9 minutes on officiating? How are you going to blame your 2nd best player being locked down by DeANDRE LIGGINS for the entire game on the refs?

Half these people stirring this pot of "Oh a LBJ team gets the benefit again" have no clue what the final 2 minute report even is.. They think the refs just came out and said these things, lol :facepalm:

To my greater point there are missed calls during the entire 48 minutes, tell me where ALL the missed calls are, not just this little 4% window. No ref, I mean zero is going to call LBJ for hanging on the rim at that point of the game and the circumstances, absolutely zero. The final 2 minute report can go ahead and show it should've been called but you can put any combination of 3 officials out there and not a single ref on a single crew is going to T LBJ up for that just given when it happened, during the game.

The game played out how it did, the NBA released it's final 2 minute report, like it always does and I'm saying give me a 48 minute report, if you are going for accuracy, that is what makes sense; it has nothing to do with fandom.

FlashBolt
12-27-2016, 04:56 PM
LeBron got whipped the entire game.. Idk what some of you guys were watching but the game tends to even out. I don't think refs are knowingly screwing a team over but RJ getting called for the tech made zero sense. And LeBron hanging onto the rim doesn't affect the game at all.. just a bunch of salty fans wanting every little point because their team lost. The Durant play may have been a foul but I cannot recall a ref making a call. Durant was just in a terrible position and RJ played tough D. Should have ran a better play. Looks like Warriors are trying to make KD fit as comfortable as possible and are wasting away Curry's more potent offense.

Vee-Rex
12-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Even KD is tired of all the *****ing about the Last 2 Minute Reports:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/27/kevin-durant-defends-referees-blasts-nba-for-throwing-them-under-the-bus-with-officiating-reports/

ďThe refs didnít lose us that game,Ē Durant said. ďWe lost that game. I think itís ******** the NBA throws the refs under the bus like that. This happened to be in our favor, not even in our favor. We donít get the win. But to say I got fouled and the technical (on Lebron)? Just move on. Donít throw the refs under the bus like that. Now the next game, that group of refs, whoever it is, theyíre going to come out intentionally ref the game, try to get everything right and perfect without just going out there relaxing and trying to make the right call. You canít fine us for when we go out there and criticize them and then throw them under the bus for the two-minute report. What about the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter? I think its ********. They should get rid of them. Refs donít deserve that. Theyíre trying their hardest to get the play right, then you look at the play in slo-mo and say itís wrong. I think itís ******** that they do that. Full of **** that you throw the refs under the bus like that after the game. Like it matters. The gameís over. We move on.Ē

Clint Olbrock
12-27-2016, 09:54 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/27/kevin-durant-defends-referees-blasts-nba-for-throwing-them-under-the-bus-with-officiating-reports/

ďThe refs didnít lose us that game,Ē Durant said. ďWe lost that game. I think itís ******** the NBA throws the refs under the bus like that. This happened to be in our favor, not even in our favor. We donít get the win. But to say I got fouled and the technical (on Lebron)? Just move on. Donít throw the refs under the bus like that. Now the next game, that group of refs, whoever it is, theyíre going to come out intentionally ref the game, try to get everything right and perfect without just going out there relaxing and trying to make the right call. You canít fine us for when we go out there and criticize them and then throw them under the bus for the two-minute report. What about the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter? I think its ********. They should get rid of them. Refs donít deserve that. Theyíre trying their hardest to get the play right, then you look at the play in slo-mo and say itís wrong. I think itís ******** that they do that. Full of **** that you throw the refs under the bus like that after the game. Like it matters. The gameís over. We move on.Ē

:win: /end thread

Bostonjorge
12-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Kyrie is the Warriors worst nightmare. When James was on the court the Warriors blew the game wide open. Then when James went out, Kyrie put the team on his back. Kyrie's 4th quarter play is what beat the Warriors.

hugepatsfan
12-28-2016, 01:00 PM

It just takes a little common sense to understand why they do the 2 minute thing. The NBA has a bad rep as far as influencing games. The perception is just out there. It is what it is. And when people talk about calls they always focus on the end because you can clearly draw the fact patterns - "if the ref corrected this then the game would have went like this instead of that". So people discuss it. In the 1st/2nd/3rd quarter no one can really pinpoint that. No one can trace the impact it made because in the moment they all mean nothing at the time. At the end of the game you can look back and say that 2 ponts would have made a difference but real-time it doesn't affect how anyone plays or looks at the game. So in order to combat that negative perception about influencing games, the NBA wants to be open and forthcoming about the calls that people will base those opinions off of. It's designed to get rid of the stigma that the NBA is hiding something or that something shady is going on.

Unfortunately, what KD is saying is true where it kind of throws the refs under the bus. It gives people more ammo to attack them personally. The NBA just took the target off its own back (as an entity) and put it on the individual refs. It's good business but you gotta feel bad for the refs. It's a tough sport to officiate.