PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler quietly having his best rebounding year at 34 years of age

JasonJohnHorn
12-25-2016, 06:15 PM
The Suns are 9-21 as of Christmas morning, so not a lot of people outside of Phoenix are watching their games. Consequently, I don't expect many people to care to much about this, but.... Tyson Chandler is posting just almost 15 rebounds per36 (14.9) right now; 2 more than his career high (12.9). He is getting fewer minutes, but that still puts him at 11.5 boards a game in under 30 minutes. Pretty impressive for a guy in his 15th season at the age of 34. And he's just shy of shooting .700

Gotta respect the fact he's still busting his @$$ off, even in what has quickly turned into a losing season for Phoenix. And the fact he's still posting studly rebounding numbers is insane.

Model of consistency.

I hope this guy gets used as trade bait to pick up some draft picks from a contender so we can see him contribute to a winning effort. I hate to see a guy this late in career playing so well in a losing effort.

Thoughts on Chandler? I feel like he's not getting enough love.

lol, please
12-25-2016, 06:42 PM
I resent the fact that you add his age to the thread title as if it's a factor. Unless you have an injury riddled history 34 is prime and I won't hear otherwise.

Clint Olbrock
12-25-2016, 06:46 PM
I resent the fact that you add his age to the thread title as if it's a factor. Unless you have an injury riddled history 34 is prime and I won't hear otherwise.

Lol, please.

Prime is not 34, you wish.

slaker619
12-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Wild

JasonJohnHorn
12-25-2016, 09:47 PM

I agree that, especially with big men, 34 can still constitute part of the 'prime years', though it usually isn't a peak year.

With guards, especially point guards who rely on speed, or wing players who rely on athleticism, 34 isn't usually part of their 'prime'. They are usually fighting for roster spots by that time. Even guys who had relatively healthy careers see a steep drop in production by 34.

Now, if they have a great shooting game, or high BBIQ, or change their game around, they can usually stick around a while.

There are exceptions. Guys who maintain their athleticism longer, or reinvent their game.

With front court players, though, because they rely on strength and knowing how to position themselves, they can afford to lose a little athleticism and still be effective into their mid-30's. But still... they are seldom peak years for them.

Thanks for your thoughts though. It is certain a valid point and worthy of consideration.

Giannis94
12-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Wrong thread.

IndyRealist
12-25-2016, 11:49 PM

34 is "any year now he's going to drop off a cliff, if it hasn't happened already". Peak is 28-29, and it's downhill from there.

KnickNyKnick
12-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Chandler is stat padding on that team. like David Lee in those bum knick teams.

ManningToTyree
12-26-2016, 01:15 PM
To play devils advocate, it's not like he's competing with anyone on his own team for rebounds. Len is solid I guess but with a legit front court around him those numbers would t be so gaudy.

hugepatsfan
12-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Yeah, they're starting PF is Jared Dudley, a natural SF who averages 3.6 rebound/game. So there's definitely some inflation from that. But the larger overall point that Chandler is playing well still stands of course.