PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Free Agency: Who's Going Where?

Quinnsanity
12-20-2016, 01:55 AM
2018 Has SEVERAL stars available, none of which are currently playing for championship contending teams. At the very least I think they'll all take meetings and consider their options. So, who's going where:

Boogie?

Paul George?

Russ?

Carmelo?

He's a Spur, so he's probably staying put, but just for conversation's sake, LaMarcus?

I think the Lakers will have their pick of the top guys. They'll have to finagle a bit with Randle's extension (i.e what the Spurs did with Kawhi) and they'll pay insane luxury tax bills once their young guys are all on second contracts, but if you're a star getting to play with that young core, in LA, for a beloved coach like Walton, that seems like the best all around opportunity. You'll eventually compete for titles and have the best overall quality of life. Paul George is from LA and they need a center so Boogie is in play, so I imagine it'll be one of those two.

I have this weird feeling about Russ going to the Spurs. Seems like his best chance at challenging Durant, which I imagine is a priority. Russ-Kawhi-LMA-Danny Green is a nasty core.

If they really want to be, the Rockets could be in play for one of these guys. They only have Harden, Anderson and Eric Gordon on the books for 2018-19 and Patrick Beverley has an insanely friendly team option. If they wanted to go the guard-center route again they could go for Boogie, or if they want to stay small Paul George is another good fit. I imagine they'll be in play for whoever the Lakers don't get.

Minnesota is worth noting as well. Obviously it's not a glamorous market but if you want to win long term they obviously have that insane young core. George is the obvious basketball fit as he slides into playing more 4 as he ages (and they need a stretchy 4).

Then there are the attractive market teams with one younger star who will be fighting for another one: the Knicks (KP), Bulls (Jimmy), Miami (Whiteside I guess? They're just always involved) and New Orleans (AD).

There are also some capped out teams that could jump into the fray with a few moves, like the Bucks or Blazers who have the talent to attract a star but need to find the money (it'd be extremely tough in both cases, but hey, worth noting, the Clippers just got a KD meeting with no cap space).

And of course, some of these guys will probably end up staying put just because of the new CBA and the money involved.

So who's going where? Which dumb team will blow all of their cap space this summer?

Jeffy25
12-20-2016, 02:16 AM
Could the Lakers fit Boogie and George on max deals?

HandsOnTheWheel
12-20-2016, 03:06 AM
2018?

Quinnsanity
12-20-2016, 04:22 AM
Could the Lakers fit Boogie and George on max deals?

I don't think so off the top of my head. They'd have to move Mozzy or Deng. If they could...

TheDish87
12-20-2016, 11:08 AM
no one wants to play for the Lakers unless Ingram turns into a star which seems doubtful by the start of 2018.

Giannis94
12-20-2016, 11:53 AM
no one wants to play for the Lakers unless Ingram turns into a star which seems doubtful by the start of 2018.
Or they get a top 3 pick this year. I would bench everyone but Russell and Ingram (including clarkson) so that those 2 develop anf they get a top 3 pick .

TheNumber37
12-20-2016, 12:27 PM
After the new CBA deal. Paul and Boogie aren't going anywhere. they could get 6 years 200+ mil plus if they stay at home.

Giannis94
12-20-2016, 12:49 PM
After the new CBA deal. Paul and Boogie aren't going anywhere. they could get 6 years 200+ mil plus if they stay at home.

But when you already have made so much $$, at what point do you prioritize winning later in your career? If I am a star like those two and can pick my team slightly less than max (well not exactly the case for Cousins), and I have never played a meaningful game in June- I would definitley be inclined to settle for less $$.

Their grand kids kids kids are set for life the way it is.

DanG
12-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Lakers will go after PG, that's the plan. I'm not so high on Boogie.

If we get atleast 40 wins next year I think we have a great shot. We have a great coach and we're just going to get better.

By then Ingram is 21, Clarkson 26, Russell 22, Randle 24, Nance 25 and PG is 28. We'll see what we are going to get from Zubac.

TheDish87
12-20-2016, 02:43 PM
being young doesnt mean you will get better, just look at the wolves.

IndyRealist
12-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Bird stated they are not entertaining offers for Paul George or Myles Turner.

DanG
12-20-2016, 05:42 PM

20 year olds never win in this league. They'll be just fine.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Shouldn't we get through this off-season first before we worry about 2018 lol?

Jeffy25
12-21-2016, 06:45 AM

Magic Johnson

TheDish87
12-21-2016, 10:04 AM

maybe but i hate the notion that young players automatically will improve, its not likely all of them will. some players plateau and some regress.

IKnowHoops
12-21-2016, 04:02 PM
But when you already have made so much $$, at what point do you prioritize winning later in your career? If I am a star like those two and can pick my team slightly less than max (well not exactly the case for Cousins), and I have never played a meaningful game in June- I would definitley be inclined to settle for less $$.

Their grand kids kids kids are set for life the way it is.

C.R.E.A.M always

IKnowHoops
12-21-2016, 04:03 PM

No comprendo

IKnowHoops
12-21-2016, 04:08 PM
maybe but i hate the notion that young players automatically will improve, its not likely all of them will. some players plateau and some regress.

True, Embiid could turn out to be Michael Olawakandi. He had success early like Embiid then just fell off.

It's a good sign that Wiggins, Lavine and Kat have improved every year. Also helps that Kat is a very gifted athlete and Lavine and Wiggins are GOAT athletes

TheDish87
12-21-2016, 04:47 PM
the first post wasnt to knock the Minny players but the team as a whole, i think everyone can agree young team or not they should be better at the moment by a decent amount. It seems like they have improved offensively but not on D and if they cant by the start of next year under Thibs i would be concerned.