PDA

View Full Version : How many games do you watch in which your favorite team is not playing?

Giannis94
12-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Thought this could be an interesting discussion. And I'll get it started.

Since Giannis has entered the league I have not watched a single non-Bucks (FTFD) game start to finish.

Why? Because Lebron and crew began making the NBA pointless to watch until game 6 or 7 of the NBA finals. Other teams have taken similar approaches in the off-season and while the NBA has experienced great revenue and financial growth, it elimainated the middle-man/mid-market teams. Why does that seem to ring a bell? 2008. Thats why.

I actually watch a lot of quaters of games if they are on but even then that only probably amounts to 10-20 quaters on the year.

I will ocassionally watch quarters of games, or parts- specifically on Christmass- but this year with the NFL being on I have no reason.

My question for you guys is- how many games do you watch?

Scoots
12-19-2016, 10:53 PM
I watch any game that's on.

Giannis94
12-19-2016, 11:40 PM
I watch any game that's on.

Over the NFL? Or say a top 10 NCAA matchup?

HandsOnTheWheel
12-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Oh.

mrblisterdundee
12-20-2016, 03:30 AM
I scan the box scores for the closest games in the third and fourth quarter. If it's a blowout, why waste time watching? That includes my favorite team, the Trailblazers. I also have an affinity for the upstarts.

Jeffy25
12-20-2016, 03:52 AM
I don't have a favorite team, and probably catch 20ish games that I just see parts of. Another 20ish games a year that I watch start to finish, but they are in the background in the first place.

DanG
12-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Probably my most watched teams right now:

1. Lakers (every game)

Other teams I've only watched a couple of 76ers games, OKC and GSW.

I live in Europe so I have to wake up to watch games or watch them later on league pass, but I don't have much time to watch any other team than the Lakers. Once Simmons comes back I'll definitely watch more Sixers.

Giannis94
12-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Probably my most watched teams right now:

1. Lakers (every game)

Other teams I've only watched a couple of 76ers games, OKC and GSW.

I live in Europe so I have to wake up to watch games or watch them later on league pass, but I don't have much time to watch any other team than the Lakers. Once Simmons comes back I'll definitely watch more Sixers.

Few questions if you have time: What country do you live in? How big is American Sports where you are (Basketball, Baseball, NFL).

I have direct cousins (grandparents were immigrants).
I was in Italy during the draft of Bargnani or Gallanaris (think it was Bargnani) in a small town about 2 hours south of Rome. Went to Roke yhe day of or before the draft and kept asking people about him and they knew nothing. Said basketball was played up North (makes sense). Went to the Puma outlet, they had jerseys of him, and a small poster or two and still, no one knew who he was .

When the Packers played they got that game and watched a bit of it they said, which was cool

ClutchTime
12-20-2016, 12:15 PM
If the Rockets are not playing, I really don't turn on any other NBA action unless there is nothing else to watch. Come playoff time, if my favorite team is not in it, yea then I watch. With Houston off last night I'm not interested in watching the Suns Wolves. I'm more of an NFL fan, then MLB followed by the NBA.

dhopisthename
12-20-2016, 12:57 PM
like 20ish?

Hawkeye15
12-20-2016, 01:16 PM
I used to get the NBA package (for 8-9 years) when I was in Houston. Probably watched 70 Wolves games a year.

I would guess I watch roughly the same now, even being local

Scoots
12-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Over the NFL? Or say a top 10 NCAA matchup?

Yep. I'm a 49ers fan, and the concussion stuff has turned me off a little bit of the NFL in general ... need I say more about the NFL? NCAA ball is not good ... I used to watch games all the time, but they are becoming unwatchable.

ewing
12-20-2016, 05:26 PM
i start the season watching just about every knick game. I would guess i have seen about 90% of the mins they played this season so far

warfelg
12-20-2016, 05:46 PM
I got LP. Watch every Sixers game. I have the other games as a flip or for breaks in my tv shows. Only stay if it's interesting.

Chronz
12-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Haven't watched so little in years. It's almost like i dont need to tbh.

Have seen mostly games outside of la since watching the Clips usually disturbs me these days. Come to think of it, I've been watching more games outside of Cali in general. Dubs and kings bore me, Lakers were fun for abit

LoveCaliFan
12-20-2016, 06:00 PM
These rules have men playing like girls. No one wants to break a nail or mess up thir hair. Too many men booty smacking or groping each other. I used to watch sports all the time. Now it's just becomng too dramatic like the soaps. But that's what happens in feminine leagues. I only watch my favorite teams and thats hard to do.

rhino17
12-20-2016, 06:05 PM
I watch almost every rockets game every season. I attend about 15-20 Nuggets games a season and catch them if they are on at the bar or something. I watch quite a bit of OKC and San Antonio as well. And I watch national games if they are a good matchup. I liked when league pass used to have a 5 team option. I always went with Houston, San Antonio, OKC, LA Clippers, and Cleveland during lebron years/Golden State during non lebron years.

ManRam
12-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Sadly, at this point...Christmas Day and the playoffs are the only sure thing. I've watched a couple big Cavs games and went to a Sixers game. Used to watch NBA basically every night regardless.

:hide:

Dade County
12-20-2016, 09:24 PM
any good game thats on.

Sly Guy
12-20-2016, 11:07 PM
I watch marquee matchups or games where it's one really hot team vs a powerhouse or whatever. Read the stories, pick and choose the best ones that don't involve my squad. Probably about 30% more from just my team's games.

IKnowHoops
12-21-2016, 02:18 AM
I got the ticket so I watch 90% of all Cavs and Wolves games. If they are on at the same time which happens, I'll go back and forth unless one game is a blowout and then I will stay with the good game.

If neither of those teams are on I like to jump around to games.

I used to watch Spurs religiously more than any team ever from Drob as a rookie to about Lebron going to the Heat. I actually was going for the Spurs against Cleveland in the finals back in the day. But once Lebron was hated on so bad, I found myself going hard for him to win and shut mouths up.

Teams I like to pop in on and watch for a few minutes

Spurs
Dubs
Clips
76ers
Bulls
Knicks
Bucks

If you are a top 20 player, or a very fast and up and coming player, chances are I will try to tune in and see for myself.

Lavine is probably my 2nd favorite player after Lebron.

Scoots
12-21-2016, 03:06 AM
Lavine is probably my 2nd favorite player after Lebron.

He's not a superstar, but I REALLY don't understand why people are down on him. He was misused a ton and on a team in need of a PG and other talent, and it's not like his game hasn't grown by a huge amount. And that's on top of his obvious physical talents.

His D is still bad, but so is the defense of the team he's on. They have a lot to learn about D on that team, but they have a good coach to learn about it.

It seems if a player hasn't proven to be the next MJ by the end of their rookie year people start talking trash about them.

The Wolves, Jazz, Nuggets, and Lakers are all fun to watch for the talent ... not always for the results :)

IKnowHoops
12-21-2016, 03:25 AM
He's not a superstar, but I REALLY don't understand why people are down on him. He was misused a ton and on a team in need of a PG and other talent, and it's not like his game hasn't grown by a huge amount. And that's on top of his obvious physical talents.

His D is still bad, but so is the defense of the team he's on. They have a lot to learn about D on that team, but they have a good coach to learn about it.

It seems if a player hasn't proven to be the next MJ by the end of their rookie year people start talking trash about them.

The Wolves, Jazz, Nuggets, and Lakers are all fun to watch for the talent ... not always for the results :)

I think this thread illustrates why. People for the most part watch only there teams and they just don't know what they are talking about when referencing players that are not on their team.

Statistically, offensively Zach Lavine has mirrored Klay Thompson this year. They are statistically the same player and they both play with two other guys who get to shoot more than they do, so its a pretty good comparison.

Scoots
12-21-2016, 09:20 AM
any good game thats on.

:hi5:

Scoots
12-21-2016, 09:24 AM
I think this thread illustrates why. People for the most part watch only there teams and they just don't know what they are talking about when referencing players that are not on their team.

Statistically, offensively Zach Lavine has mirrored Klay Thompson this year. They are statistically the same player and they both play with two other guys who get to shoot more than they do, so its a pretty good comparison.

As a Warriors and Klay Thompson fan ... Levine is WAY more athletic, faster, quicker, has a better handle, and is a better passer. Klay is more consistent, a better shooter, a better offensive player in movement and using possession in the team scheme, and is a far better defender. BUT Levine can and will close the game to Klay over the next couple years ... he'll likely never be the defender or shooter Klay is, but he could become a better player with his other skills eventually.

IndyRealist
12-21-2016, 09:30 AM
I watch 2-4 non-pacers games a week, depending on how many the Pacers have that week.

Scoots
12-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Being a fan of a west coast team and not living on the west coast ... it's such a long wait for the game to start I end up watching the early games fairly often. That said, it's hard to make it to the end of the late game and get up at 6 every morning. :)

Vee-Rex
12-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Being a fan of a west coast team and not living on the west coast ... it's such a long wait for the game to start I end up watching the early games fairly often. That said, it's hard to make it to the end of the late game and get up at 6 every morning. :)

That's the problem I have. I wanna watch more west coast games but they're on too late since I live on the east coast. The only other East team I care about watching is the Raps, but unless they're playing the Cavs or a tough west team I won't bother.

I watch about 70 Cavs games a year in the regular season and every playoff game. Fortunately, my job is mainly just sitting at a desk with a computer, so I usually watch the highlights of every game, box scores, and browse through different NBA forums (and their team forums) so that I somewhat know what's going on with other teams.

FlashBolt
12-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Haven't watched more than 20 games thus far this season (with OKC about being at least 13 or so of them). Maybe some guys enjoy the Warriors and Cavs inevitable Finals matchup and want to watch the Warriors blow out a helpless team but not me. I'll come back when the playoffs begin.

IKnowHoops
12-21-2016, 03:52 PM
As a Warriors and Klay Thompson fan ... Levine is WAY more athletic, faster, quicker, has a better handle, and is a better passer. Klay is more consistent, a better shooter, a better offensive player in movement and using possession in the team scheme, and is a far better defender. BUT Levine can and will close the game to Klay over the next couple years ... he'll likely never be the defender or shooter Klay is, but he could become a better player with his other skills eventually.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I was only referring to there production. Both have a 16.3 Per and 2.1 WS. There 3pt % is very close to equal, points/reb/asst all within like .5 of each other. From a productivity standpoint they are equals. How they produce is the diff.

tredigs
12-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I agree with all of that. I was only referring to there production. Both have a 16.3 Per and 2.1 WS. There 3pt % is very close to equal, points/reb/asst all within like .5 of each other. From a productivity standpoint they are equals. How they produce is the diff.

Klay hasn't been good this year. His outside shooting is down tremendously (hence Lavine being at his level from 3). Ditto Curry's outside shot (45% the past two years to 40% this year). They're still figuring out the new offensive flow.

As for this thread, it depends on how many games I bet that week (don't always watch the bets, but the big ones I will). But on average ~3 quarters of every Warriors game (less if it's a blowout by halftime, more if it's close), and at least a quarter of 3-4 different teams a night (some days none obviously, some days I'll watch 3-4 full games on multiple screens). Makes it easy living on the West Coast and having games start right when I'm getting off work, with the last game ending by 10.

Scoots
12-21-2016, 05:00 PM

Yeah, wasn't disagreeing, just adding a bit more depth.

The fact that Klay is on a team that knows what they are doing and they are doing it well helps him a lot just as Lavine's past situation hurts him. So much youth on the Wolves, learning a new system with new teammates. It seems to me they need a veteran glue guy playing 25 minutes a night or so to help them pull it together ... like a 30 year old Shane Battier would be perfect :)

IndyRealist
12-21-2016, 07:03 PM
I'm surprised how many people only watch one or two teams, given how opinionated PSD is on virtually every player, coach, and system in the league.