PDA

View Full Version : Nerlens Noel removed from 76ers rotation

spreadeagle
12-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I see a trade coming down the pipeline
Nerlens Noel will be out of the Philadelphia 76ers' rotation for the foreseeable future.

The 76ers have a logjam at center in Noel, Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor.

Brett Brown mentioned that Noel “missed everything,” being away from the team in the preseason and the start of the regular season to rehabilitate inflammation in his left knee.

“Twenty minutes before the game [Friday], I learned he was going to play,” Brown said. “He hasn’t been a part of us. I think this conversation goes to a higher level, a more real level in a few weeks when he actually had some practices.

“Richaun has been here since Day 1. I feel that is something that’s on my mind as much as Nerlens.”

Noel missed the first 23 games with the knee injury. He spent some of that time rehabilitating in Alabama.

Noel played eight minutes on Friday and not at all on Sunday.

Brown said “trying to force-feed three bigs in a game is unfair.”

Giannis94
12-19-2016, 02:41 PM
another 76ers thread? Dear lord. Who the **** cares.

Giannis94
12-19-2016, 02:49 PM
If the Bucks put Monroe back in their starting line up I am definitley starting a thread.

Scoots
12-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Brown just pushed Noel's trade value down a little more

warfelg
12-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Brown just pushed Noel's trade value down a little more

Colangelo did.

I'm 98.89% in the camp that Colangelo wants all of this (Okafor starting, Noel benched) and Brown is doing whatever it takes to keep his job because he knows it would be hard to get another job unless things start turning around.

ewing
12-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Colangelo did.

I'm 98.89% in the camp that Colangelo wants all of this (Okafor starting, Noel benched) and Brown is doing whatever it takes to keep his job because he knows it would be hard to get another job unless things start turning around.

Sam Hinkie put all these people in a bad spot. If Noel is the only one that revolts i'd be happy

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 03:48 PM
i imagine its a short term thing. Plenty of time to regroup and get him 15-20 mins a night to re-build his value some. the sooner he can play, the sooner his ***** *** can be traded. But Brown is right, the dude distanced himself from the team and hasnt been around for like 3 months, he aint that damn good to just come back and command playing time like that.

Giannis94
12-19-2016, 03:54 PM
i imagine its a short term thing. Plenty of time to regroup and get him 15-20 mins a night to re-build his value some. the sooner he can play, the sooner his ***** *** can be traded. But Brown is right, the dude distanced himself from the team and hasnt been around for like 3 months, he aint that damn good to just come back and command playing time like that.

You do realize that we are discussing the 76ers, and not the Warriors here, right?

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 03:55 PM
um?

warfelg
12-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Sam Hinkie put all these people in a bad spot. If Noel is the only one that revolts i'd be happy

:shrug: I wouldn't disagree with that. I'm one of the few Sixers fans that would say that.

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 04:28 PM
thats a cop out and you know it. War you have been going all in backing Noel and ripping BC lately while ignoring that you told us BC had a done deal for Noel and the sissy didnt like it so he opted for elective surgery and hid from the team for 3 months. But yea blame everyone but Noel

twellner9
12-19-2016, 04:41 PM
I would not want Noel on my team. Guy thinks he's the ****, hasn't proven anything but to be a locker room problem. Can't stay healthy, cries when others beat him out, thinks he's AD when he's close to Oden. I feel sorry for whichever teams trades away a pick for this scrub.

warfelg
12-19-2016, 04:53 PM
I don't really care that he had the surgery to push off a trade. There's a chance that the trade could have been nullified if the other team didn't like the results. Heck it might not have been as close as I think it was.

Either way I stand by Noel. He's been with the process as long as Hollis Thompson. He sat out a year despite being able to start to play by the ASB his rookie year. He saw his closest friend traded away while they were productive together. He put up with no point guards for 2 years. He changes positions to accommodate Okafor.

Frankly Noel has done more for this team though the process era than any other player, so yea, he'll pretty much always have my backing as a guy who doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Alayla
12-19-2016, 04:53 PM
I would not want Noel on my team. Guy thinks he's the ****, hasn't proven anything but to be a locker room problem. Can't stay healthy, cries when others beat him out, thinks he's AD when he's close to Oden. I feel sorry for whichever teams trades away a pick for this scrub.

Noel is a starting quaility center there is no reason he should be getting dnp-cds. Also people need to chill with this locker room problem stuff he was forced to play out of postion all of last season and kept cool about it.

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't really care that he had the surgery to push off a trade. There's a chance that the trade could have been nullified if the other team didn't like the results. Heck it might not have been as close as I think it was.

Either way I stand by Noel. He's been with the process as long as Hollis Thompson. He sat out a year despite being able to start to play by the ASB his rookie year. He saw his closest friend traded away while they were productive together. He put up with no point guards for 2 years. He changes positions to accommodate Okafor.

Frankly Noel has done more for this team though the process era than any other player, so yea, he'll pretty much always have my backing as a guy who doesn't get the respect he deserves

thats ridiculous and you know had Okafor did it you would be ripping a new one (rightfully so). Noel is a ***** plain and simple and has dont jack **** for this team. Seriously trying to use the sympathy route over MCW being traded when he took shots at him right after ahahahahah.

SeoulBeatz
12-19-2016, 04:59 PM

Funny thing is I think he'd be great fit on the Bucks. What a nightmare that team would be on defense with Noel playing safety in the paint. You could have two players in the top 10 in blocks and steals per game.

SeoulBeatz
12-19-2016, 05:00 PM
As for this thread, #wearebenchingthewrongbig

Would much rather see Okafor go than Noel, even with his ****** attitude and impending contract issues.

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 05:03 PM
they both need to go but Noel dug his own grave first. See how Okafor and Embiid work til Simmons gets back and work on a Okafor trade in the off-season

SeoulBeatz
12-19-2016, 05:08 PM
they both need to go but Noel dug his own grave first. See how Okafor and Embiid work til Simmons gets back and work on a Okafor trade in the off-season

Lol, I've seen 2 games of them together and that's more than enough to know it's never gonna work.

Jah forces Jojo to the three point line and, while he's effective as a spot up shooter, you're taking away the best aspect of his game. I'd argue that Joel is more effective in the paint than Jahlil, who went 0-9 in last night's game if I'm not mistaken.

Our team plays so much better when it's JoJo at the 5 accompanied by a stretch four like Ilyasova or Saric. I want this experiment to end ASAP.

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 05:14 PM
he forced him out in one game, literally the next game it was Oak tossing him the ball in the paint, wasnt an issue last night either. I have no issue riding it out for another month, theres nothing to lose and all involved have been making adjustments by the game. noel isnt worth the contract hes gonna get and isnt what we need starting next to JE either, like you said the stretch 4 is perfect with him and i agree. Its not like they even play big mins together anyway.

Scoots
12-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Colangelo did.

But it was Brown who talked about it to the media.

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 05:16 PM
dude was shooting aboout 55% before last night from the field, i love how he gets singled out for a rare poor offensive game in which he was solid on the other end

warfelg
12-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Lol, I've seen 2 games of them together and that's more than enough to know it's never gonna work.

Jah forces Jojo to the three point line and, while he's effective as a spot up shooter, you're taking away the best aspect of his game. I'd argue that Joel is more effective in the paint than Jahlil, who went 0-9 in last night's game if I'm not mistaken.

Our team plays so much better when it's JoJo at the 5 accompanied by a stretch four like Ilyasova or Saric. I want this experiment to end ASAP.

:hi5:

I don't understand this klinging to Okafor and the fact that he can work with another big on this team. It just ain't happening. I saw it early last year when Noel and Okafor were out there together. Saying it now.

The issue is that Okafor can't add variety to his game while these other big have to because Okafor doesn't have a huge variety to his game. There's show and go from the high post, back to the low post and spin high side, and palm and power.

warfelg
12-19-2016, 05:23 PM
But it was Brown who talked about it to the media.

Only because Colangelo refuses to talk.

EDIT:
Colangelo said this today -
Colangelo on Noel: "He is a young, talented prospect that we are trying to determine whether or not he's a fit for this roster"

Colangelo: "Everyone's trying to poach a big from us"

Colangelo said the Sixers intend to pair Noel and Embiid together at some point and evaluate that duo.

Colangelo on Noel: "This is not a benching."

TheDish87
12-19-2016, 05:27 PM
whats wrong wiht Noel earning minutes and trust back? if im BC im sending him (anyone) this same message, Noel ****ed up and needs to suffer the consequences for it.

warfelg
12-19-2016, 05:32 PM
dude was shooting aboout 55% before last night from the field, i love how he gets singled out for a rare poor offensive game in which he was solid on the other end

52% from the field. 61% from the FT line.

SeoulBeatz
12-19-2016, 05:51 PM
:hi5:

I don't understand this klinging to Okafor and the fact that he can work with another big on this team. It just ain't happening. I saw it early last year when Noel and Okafor were out there together. Saying it now.

The issue is that Okafor can't add variety to his game while these other big have to because Okafor doesn't have a huge variety to his game. There's show and go from the high post, back to the low post and spin high side, and palm and power.

This. I like Oak as a bench big who can get you points against 2nd units, but his defense is what kills me. It's not for a lack of effort, it's a complete and utter lack of awareness and lateral foot-speed. The guy cannot protect the paint to save his life. Sure he'll contest a shot well every now and then, but when he gets switched onto a guard during pnr's, it's a guaranteed bucket for the opposing team. I've never, ever seen him stay with a guard and block a layup in the paint. He gets TORCHED every damn time.

That is why I'd rather hold onto Noel. He is a near elite defender/solid rebounder but has no offensive game, which is more valuable to me than a good offensive player who is a poor rebounder and non-existent defender.

I wish Okafor would prove me wrong, but whenever he's in the game his defense and rebounding are noticeably bad. Teams kill us when JoJo isn't playing and Oak's basically an oversized shooting guard with how little he contributes in big man statistics.

I don't see how he has a future with this team since he can't play with Joel and I don't think he'd be happy coming off the bench. Contrary to popular belief though, he's not a headcase, doesn't clash with coaches, and puts in solid effort, he just doesn't fit this team.

Miltstar
12-19-2016, 05:55 PM
it's funny how all the talk about locker room problems go away when teams are winning

ewing
12-19-2016, 05:57 PM
this guy is being paid to be an asset. If he wants to be on a basketball team well good riddance Sir!

Miltstar
12-19-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm sure the Raps will take him if his value drops enough they've already talked about it twice to my knowledge although I'm not sure of Colangelo's relationship with us anymore

SeoulBeatz
12-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm sure the Raps will take him if his value drops enough they've already talked about it twice to my knowledge although I'm not sure of Colangelo's relationship with us anymore

Yeah there was a rumor about a Nerlens-Terrence Ross swap a while back. Wouldn't be against that considering we are in desperate need of athleticism on the wing.

Miltstar
12-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Yeah there was a rumor about a Nerlens-Terrence Ross swap a while back. Wouldn't be against that considering we are in desperate need of athleticism on the wing.

I don't think we'd give up Ross at this point, he seems to have taken over as the 3rd option. We do have Delon Wright and I know Philly needs a PG. Not saying 1 for 1 but that's where I'd start talking

Quinnsanity
12-20-2016, 02:05 AM
Ok I'll ask it... why the **** aren't the Warriors POUNCING on this? Just give up like Looney, James and McAdoo for cap purposes along with a few first rounders that are gonna be 29th or 30th anyway. Rim protection is their ONE weakness, he costs practically nothing financially and they can overpay with picks because they're the Warriors, who cares if they have picks?

PhillyFaninLA
12-20-2016, 06:31 AM
thats ridiculous and you know had Okafor did it you would be ripping a new one (rightfully so). Noel is a ***** plain and simple and has dont jack **** for this team. Seriously trying to use the sympathy route over MCW being traded when he took shots at him right after ahahahahah.

Here is opinion....I posted the below in the other thread about him

I'm seeing the Sam Bradford situation play out again. He runs his mouth, cries like a 2 year old girl that just had candy ripped out of there hand by a parent, and consistently over a period of months shows to be a weak willed b......

Sam Bradford shut his mouth, disappeared to the background and the Eagles got a best case scenario trade when he shut his mouth. I think Calengelo coming forward with his comments means the same thing is going on. Of course they will trade him, but not until Noel shuts up long enough or risks missing the entire season and losing 10's of millions of dollars. If he doesn't play nice he may lose 20 - 50 million dollars this offseason by destroying his own value. If I'm his new agent I am pointing that out to him. He shuts up, he gets traded and keeps more money then most of us will make in our life times.

Scoots
12-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Ok I'll ask it... why the **** aren't the Warriors POUNCING on this? Just give up like Looney, James and McAdoo for cap purposes along with a few first rounders that are gonna be 29th or 30th anyway. Rim protection is their ONE weakness, he costs practically nothing financially and they can overpay with picks because they're the Warriors, who cares if they have picks?

The first first round pick the Warriors can send is 2019 and it will likely be a late 1st so it has little value. The Warriors really want to keep their picks because they need to develop the young cheap guys to keep it rolling.

I can't remember, but I don't think the Warriors would be able to exceed the cap to sign Noel the year after a trade and there is no way they send multiple players and picks for a player rental.

Scoots
12-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Here is opinion....I posted the below in the other thread about him

I'm seeing the Sam Bradford situation play out again. He runs his mouth, cries like a 2 year old girl that just had candy ripped out of there hand by a parent, and consistently over a period of months shows to be a weak willed b......

Sam Bradford shut his mouth, disappeared to the background and the Eagles got a best case scenario trade when he shut his mouth. I think Calengelo coming forward with his comments means the same thing is going on. Of course they will trade him, but not until Noel shuts up long enough or risks missing the entire season and losing 10's of millions of dollars. If he doesn't play nice he may lose 20 - 50 million dollars this offseason by destroying his own value. If I'm his new agent I am pointing that out to him. He shuts up, he gets traded and keeps more money then most of us will make in our life times.

I think, if we assume Noel keeps asking for a trade and is unhappy with his PT but stays healthy, that some team will offer him a near max deal next off-season ... and that fairly solidly screws Colangelo and the Sixers.

TheDish87
12-20-2016, 02:44 PM
we can just match and do a S/T and get the same value we would now, which isnt much. You would have to be crazy to offer Noel max deal anyway.

PhillyFaninLA
12-20-2016, 04:42 PM
I think, if we assume Noel keeps asking for a trade and is unhappy with his PT but stays healthy, that some team will offer him a near max deal next off-season ... and that fairly solidly screws Colangelo and the Sixers.

Not if he keeps proving that he is bigger than the team. His attitude isn't 15 mil a year its 5 - 7. His new agent needs to say shut up, stay off social media, and show up and do your job. You will get more playing time and get traded by doing that.

Right now he is a guy who has proven nothing, been injured multiple times, regressed in performance since his rookie season, and has proven that he is unwilling to do what it in best interest of the team. That hurts value, so he needs to suck it up so he can be traded. I don't think Brown would hesitate to dnp him every game and completely destroy his value, because right now with his attitude you can't play him.

Scoots
12-20-2016, 04:42 PM
we can just match and do a S/T and get the same value we would now, which isnt much. You would have to be crazy to offer Noel max deal anyway.

Any argument that contains the word "just" is immediately suspect. You can't do a "match" and a S/T at the same time ... once they match the team that offered him the max or near max is out of the picture. They haven't been able to work a trade yet, it will be even harder to get good value for him once he's under contract for 5 more years and teams will know he has to be moved.

And as for Noel not getting some huge offer? See Harrison Barnes, Joakim Noah, Evan Turner, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Bismack Biyombo, Miles Plumlee, and Austin Rivers. There is WAY more than enough "crazy" to go around ... and I'd prefer Noel to any of that lot.

PhillyFaninLA
12-20-2016, 04:43 PM
edit: just fact checked what was here, I was wrong

Scoots
12-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Replied to above error ... removed reply.

TheDish87
12-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Any argument that contains the word "just" is immediately suspect. You can't do a "match" and a S/T at the same time ... once they match the team that offered him the max or near max is out of the picture. They haven't been able to work a trade yet, it will be even harder to get good value for him once he's under contract for 5 more years and teams will know he has to be moved.

And as for Noel not getting some huge offer? See Harrison Barnes, Joakim Noah, Evan Turner, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Bismack Biyombo, Miles Plumlee, and Austin Rivers. There is WAY more than enough "crazy" to go around ... and I'd prefer Noel to any of that lot.

oh dont get me wrong i think he is getting overpaid and no matter what he did/does for us this season we werent going to keep him at the anticipated cost. i just simply dont think he will end up worth the contract he gets. i dont think itll be a max but prob close.

Scoots
12-20-2016, 06:48 PM
oh dont get me wrong i think he is getting overpaid and no matter what he did/does for us this season we werent going to keep him at the anticipated cost. i just simply dont think he will end up worth the contract he gets. i dont think itll be a max but prob close.

Part of the point though is that if the Sixers match an RFA offer it will be large and it will significantly limit their options. They may get a better offer now than after an offer sheet and is matched.

Migueldadon
12-20-2016, 09:23 PM
another 76ers thread? Dear lord. Who the **** cares.

I second that. For a team that's been trash for the better part of 30 years there's too many threads about 'em here

TheDish87
12-21-2016, 10:08 AM
I second that. For a team that's been trash for the better part of 30 years there's too many threads about 'em here

hahahaahahah nice