PDA

View Full Version : So, what's wrong with the Lakers?

kobe4thewinbang
12-15-2016, 01:45 AM
Okay, D'Angelo got hurt...Young got hurt...but how many losses is this now? People were thinking 8th seed after this surprising decent start, but holy crap, now they are 10-18 and have lost 8 in a row! To teams they shouldn't be losing to. The Nets? The Kings?

What's going on, losing at home, on the road, not even losing closely anymore?

Walton's being exposed if he lets this go on for much longer. Lou Williams had a hot streak there, Young's still pretty consistent, but Ingram's yet to thrive. Where is Randle?! Deng's been by majority opinion garbage since he's gotten to LA. Mosgov's been decent but you gotta shake it up somehow, change the lineups, cuz something ain't firing anymore upstairs with this team.

There's no way you lose eight straight games because it just wasn't your night. At this rate, they'll be fighting for the last seed in the conference.

They have no leader it seems. D'Angelo be like "This is my s--t!" then he ain't doing jack since. They need to make a trade or something for a player that can keep them in games. They just fall apart, and before they know it, they're down 15 after it being dead even.

JAZZNC
12-15-2016, 01:50 AM
They just aren't very talented to go along with being really young. When Nick Young and Lou Williams are your best players you will have stretches like this. Throw in a first time head coach and what did you really expect? Anybody that really thought they'd compete for the 8 seed was just being overly optimistic/delusional.

tp13baby
12-15-2016, 01:53 AM
The lakers just arent that good honestly.

europagnpilgrim
12-15-2016, 02:05 AM
They are very young and most times those tend to be the bottom teams until they get it together, they also should have taken that future Dirk style player over Russell since they already had Clarkson/Young/Lou in the fold

and I guess I should agree with SAS and say its because of that Buss guy, the current son version that is

Deng/Mosgov were good veteran additions but I would have went after 1 year vets with a high salary over those multi year deals they gave those two guys

Lakers should have ran the young guys into the ground last year to get a better feel but they had that Kobe farewell tour so you couldn't really see who was who and what was what, a year really makes a difference for growth/confidence in sports and life in general

GodsSon
12-15-2016, 02:06 AM
Aren't they already over-achieving?

Randle is a stud, Ingram is alright...Russell is meh.

Lou Will has been killing it, but he's not in the long-term plans. Lakers just need to hit on the next draft.

Lakers + Giants
12-15-2016, 02:57 AM
They overachieved, expectations rose. New expectations weren't realistic, the hot start wasn't sustainable and now their improvement is looking like regression when its still improvement from last year.

More-Than-Most
12-15-2016, 03:42 AM
Not sure who i am more down on this year between russ and oka... OKA is finally showing signs the past few games but both guys play some of the worst defense i have ever seen 2 players play... i expected this to a point from oka but i expected russ to be the best player from this draft.... I thought he would be a 22/10 type of guy with a deadly 3 point shot.... he doesnt even pass anymore... he just shoots.

The lakers need to figure out what to do quickly because right now they wont get much value for any of their guys in Randle/russ/ingram.... clarkson still have value because of that contract but even he has fallen off a cliff.

IndyRealist
12-15-2016, 05:21 AM
They overachieved, expectations rose. New expectations weren't realistic, the hot start wasn't sustainable and now their improvement is looking like regression when its still improvement from last year.

Basically this.

Aust
12-15-2016, 05:49 AM

Yeah. It stinks because we're going to give Philly an amazing pick. We actually aren't that far back from a bottom 3 record though. I still think we'll heat up during the second half of the season and get close to doubling our 17 wins from last season.

Worth noting we've also had the 2nd most difficult schedule in the league so far. Combine that with injuries to a young team lacking high end talent and you get raining L's.

Iron24th
12-15-2016, 09:22 AM
They showed some heart and some promise in november, they're showing absolutely nothing in december.

Scoots
12-15-2016, 09:23 AM
They remembered that they need to finish with a bottom 3 record to keep their pick.

koreancabbage
12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
nothing is wrong. they're losing like they're supposed to lol

Hawkeye15
12-15-2016, 10:39 AM
they are super young. Their hot start simply regressed to the mean. I pegged them for 30 wins max, so they are still on pace to finish at 30 wins.

You don't win in the NBA with young players, and your vets are Nick Young, Mosgov,, Deng, and Lou Williams, who just aren't good.

IndyRealist
12-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Small sample size, and scouting. Now there's tape of how they play so you're not going to surprise anyone.

warfelg
12-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Nothing's wrong. They're just regressing to the norm after a hot start.

They also played some of the teams with weaker defenses early.

Alayla
12-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Even during the hot start the Lakers have had one of the NBA's worst defenses all season long when you don't play defense you don't win.

DanG
12-15-2016, 11:47 AM
The Lakers play no defense at all. That's the problem.

TheDish87
12-15-2016, 11:55 AM
they are simply not good. they are young and inexperienced, they are where they should be.

latinofire21
12-15-2016, 01:20 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Lakers. They are young and will have growing pains. I don't think you should change the roster because of this losing streak. The west has always been strong and with the Warriors, Clippers, and Spurs all pretty impressive at the current moment is it even worth trading away some of the young core for a proven veteran?

I think you stick with the core and keep building through the offseason and draft. You wont get a trade worth pulling the trigger because it will mortgage the future.

I do believe that Clarkson should start in the backcourt with Russel and let Young and Williams be the spurt off the bench. Its time to start grooming the new core. I don't believe Williams or Young are in the plans for the future Lakers.

That's the only shakeup I would make.

TheDish87
12-15-2016, 01:32 PM
i dont think being in the West is hurting them. The 12th place team in the east has a better win % than the 9th in the west while being only 3 games out form dead last in the league.

GoferKing_
12-15-2016, 09:01 PM
They were overachieving, and everyone knew that (well, almost everyone).

Teeboy1487
12-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Youth, overpaid mediocre vets sans Lou Williams, lack of a superstar, ill-time injuries and no defense.

Miltstar
12-15-2016, 11:26 PM
they need more time, it's better for them to keep losing IMO. Keep building through the draft. I think Russell/Ingram/Randle is a really nice core but that's all they are like 5 years away from competing

Shlumpledink
12-16-2016, 03:57 AM
They were hot then got injured.

Russel, Randle, Nance, Black, Calderon, Young were all injured.

Their bench was the secret to their success, then everybody started getting hurt so the bench was starting. Then you had Huertas starting at point guard for a few games, basically the 4th string point guard on this team.

Russell and Young are back and getting back into it. Their back up center is Larry Nance, who is also their back-up power-forward. Thomas Robinson actually gets playing time now due to injuries.

For a young team without a star player, injuries are a hard thing to deal with.

theducksmuggler
12-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Im just praying they dont go into full tank mode because I really want a second top 10 pick in this years draft as a 76ers fan but I think that early hot start may have secured that the pick will land outside the top 3 but we shall see....

Aust
12-17-2016, 05:44 AM
they are super young. Their hot start simply regressed to the mean. I pegged them for 30 wins max, so they are still on pace to finish at 30 wins.

You don't win in the NBA with young players, and your vets are Nick Young, Mosgov,, Deng, and Lou Williams, who just aren't good.

Young and Williams have actually(surprisingly) played well for us.

Deng has been poo though. Playing him at the 3 when he should be playing the 4, but we don't have room for him there.

Im just praying they dont go into full tank mode because I really want a second top 10 pick in this years draft as a 76ers fan but I think that early hot start may have secured that the pick will land outside the top 3 but we shall see....

dw, you'll get your pick somewhere in the 4-9 range.