PDA

View Full Version : Nowitzki's out indefinitely what now?

mrblisterdundee
12-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Dirk Nowitzki is out indefinitely with a strained right achilles. The Mavericks are dead last in the NBA.

"I talked to Casey (Smith, athletic trainer) about it (on Friday) and I think he's going to be out for a while," Carlisle said. "I think indefinitely is an accurate word until we tell you something. We're not trying to hide anything here. But taking daily questions about it gets exhausting for him. If it's not going to happen real soon, then what's the point. Progress has been made, it's just not there yet."
- Eddie Sefko, The Dallas Morning News (http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2016/12/03/indefinitely-best-word-describe-long-dirk-nowitzki-will)
What does Dallas do now? Does it stand pat, tank and go for a lottery pick? Does it seek a trade for its veterans? Who might want any of them?

warfelg
12-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Trade out some guys, try to get as much as possible, and move onto tankcity.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Tank.

JordansBulls
12-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Retire the same as Lebron.

Saddletramp
12-04-2016, 01:58 AM

We've already had this convo in the other Mavs thread. Not much there.

Retire the same as Lebron.

You're silly.*

*I almost said something else. Learnin'.

europagnpilgrim
12-04-2016, 01:58 AM
It is time for Dirk to go ahead and call it a career after this season and join Pierce/Kobe/Duncan/KG/Kidd/Nash/The Answer/TMac and the rest of that star studded mid to late 90's group of players

Dallas doesn't have to tank because they are already in that mode right now, tank = very avg or just flat out garbage especially according to the standard that they set in years past

warfelg
12-04-2016, 08:39 AM
We've already had this convo in the other Mavs thread. Not much there.

You're silly.*

*I almost said something else. Learnin'.

I'm sure you could get something for a bunch of those guys, especially later on. Late January get a late 1st for guys like Williams, JJ, Matthews, Harris. Maybe a bench player not getting burn from a decent team that has a need due to injury. Bogut, if he stays healthy, could be an interesting part to get.

If they can get some young players and a bunch of picks, you could group the picks to move up. Time to also be smart about FA, and sign a bunch of decent players to good contracts, then when they outplay that contract you are either in a Boston position or you can trade them for more.

mightybosstone
12-04-2016, 10:16 AM
What now? For starters, all the posters who predicted the Mavs would finish with a better record than the Rockets need to form a line to prepare themselves to eat a big plate of crow.

After that, yeah, obviously the team should go in full tank mode. I wonder how long Carlisle will sit around waiting for this team to get better before he wants to jump ship. He's too good of a coach to want to play for a cellar dweller.

IndyRealist
12-04-2016, 10:50 AM
It is time for Dirk to go ahead and call it a career after this season and join Pierce/Kobe/Duncan/KG/Kidd/Nash/The Answer/TMac and the rest of that star studded mid to late 90's group of players

Dallas doesn't have to tank because they are already in that mode right now, tank = very avg or just flat out garbage especially according to the standard that they set in years past

Tanking is not the same as being bad.

smith&wesson
12-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Trade jj dirk and bogus.. get some picks if you can .. keep the young guys.

Vampirate
12-04-2016, 02:34 PM
Keep going as is and get a top 3 pick. The Mavs are getting a high pick regardless.

Honestly Dirk could play the Obi Wan Kenobi role for the player who is drafted.

Saddletramp
12-04-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm sure you could get something for a bunch of those guys, especially later on. Late January get a late 1st for guys like Williams, JJ, Matthews, Harris. Maybe a bench player not getting burn from a decent team that has a need due to injury. Bogut, if he stays healthy, could be an interesting part to get.

If they can get some young players and a bunch of picks, you could group the picks to move up. Time to also be smart about FA, and sign a bunch of decent players to good contracts, then when they outplay that contract you are either in a Boston position or you can trade them for more.

Didn't say nothing was there to trade, just not much.
Dirk makes $25M and can't stay healthy. He ain't going anywhere.
Matthews might net something if he turns it on real quick. If not, he has negative value until he's an expiring in a few more years. And expiring contracts don't mean what they used to.
Bogut can get them something (and he won't re-sign so anything is better than nothing). Not sure how much, though.
Barnes is the future, I guess. Would be silly to trade him unless it's for something crazy.
What would Devin Harris net them? DWill? JJ?
Justin Anderson will be a nice piece to keep so I doubt he gets dealt. Same thing with Dwight Powell (I just looked his name up and see he just signed about a 4 year $36M deal. WOAH).

Cuban better feel lucky he got that title when he did because things look pretty ****ing bleak going forward. If they trade Bogut and DWill for whatever they can get (which won't be much) and draft well while getting one nice free agent that they don't have to over pay for (they're at $88 million I think already next year assuming they use Dirk and Harris' team options) then they'll start to get better. But if I'm a Mavs fan, I don't think I have much faith in what Cuban can do post-Dirk (and honestly, we're already post-Dirk, even if he's still there).

Jeffy25
12-04-2016, 06:17 PM

Yup, starting with Bogut

warfelg
12-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Didn't say nothing was there to trade, just not much.
Dirk makes $25M and can't stay healthy. He ain't going anywhere.
Matthews might net something if he turns it on real quick. If not, he has negative value until he's an expiring in a few more years. And expiring contracts don't mean what they used to.
Bogut can get them something (and he won't re-sign so anything is better than nothing). Not sure how much, though.
Barnes is the future, I guess. Would be silly to trade him unless it's for something crazy.
What would Devin Harris net them? DWill? JJ?
Justin Anderson will be a nice piece to keep so I doubt he gets dealt. Same thing with Dwight Powell (I just looked his name up and see he just signed about a 4 year $36M deal. WOAH).

Cuban better feel lucky he got that title when he did because things look pretty ****ing bleak going forward. If they trade Bogut and DWill for whatever they can get (which won't be much) and draft well while getting one nice free agent that they don't have to over pay for (they're at $88 million I think already next year assuming they use Dirk and Harris' team options) then they'll start to get better. But if I'm a Mavs fan, I don't think I have much faith in what Cuban can do post-Dirk (and honestly, we're already post-Dirk, even if he's still there).

Well I mean, this is one area I like what Hinkie did:
He just cut bait with guys he was going to let walk anyways. Harris, DWill, JJ, Bogut....the aren't going to be all that for the future of the Mavs. So what if you get seconds for DWill and Harris...that's better than letting them walk out the door for nothing. So what if JJ nets you a low first. Again it's something. Bogut, he could go to a contender that's looking for some size up front. Take on a guy like Crabbe from Portland for Bogut, and get a pick along with it.

It's all about getting whatever you can before letting guys walk. Then at that point you take on a few salary dumps for late firsts. All the sudden you build up an asset war chest.

Not saying you completely tank like Hinkie took the Sixers, but there are certain aspect to what he did in his time here that should be repeated.

IndyRealist
12-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Andrew Bogut: $11,027,027 expiring
Deron Williams: $9,000,000 expiring
Devin Harris: $4,227,996, $4,402,546 team option
JJ Barea: $4,096,950, $3,903,900, $3,710,850
Wes Matthews $17,145,838, $17,884,175, $18,622,513

JJ might be tradeable for an expiring, and Bogut might get moved for a pick if they are willing to take back a bad contract, but otherwise I don't see how any of that is movable.

da ThRONe
12-04-2016, 07:14 PM
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/b8/b86774e3add261f7f99907a14b00d5a662dc981ce0f2199ef4 2e8abab6aa76b3.jpg

Saddletramp
12-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Well I mean, this is one area I like what Hinkie did:
He just cut bait with guys he was going to let walk anyways. Harris, DWill, JJ, Bogut....the aren't going to be all that for the future of the Mavs. So what if you get seconds for DWill and Harris...that's better than letting them walk out the door for nothing. So what if JJ nets you a low first. Again it's something. Bogut, he could go to a contender that's looking for some size up front. Take on a guy like Crabbe from Portland for Bogut, and get a pick along with it.

It's all about getting whatever you can before letting guys walk. Then at that point you take on a few salary dumps for late firsts. All the sudden you build up an asset war chest.

Not saying you completely tank like Hinkie took the Sixers, but there are certain aspect to what he did in his time here that should be repeated.

A low First for JJ? A seven month rental of Bogut for Portlands big offseason re-sign and a pick? Not to mention Crabbe wouldn't fit anywhere with Matthews and Barnes there? So an $18M Sixth Man?

Yeah, if you can get a second rounder for Harris, you do it. But remember, Harris isn't what he was the first time when he was in Dallas and he's sucked everywhere since then. Teams buy second round picks for way less then he's going to make next year. JJ and Harris are Cuban Talent (they're ok in Dallas but way overpriced elsewhere). I doubt they go anywhere. And Williams at $9M and you have to give up a pick for him? Bogut will net something, assuming he gets traded before he gets a season ending injury.

warfelg
12-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Honestly I would start Barnes at the 4 and Crabbe at the 3 in that setup. I think your really underselling what some of these guys could do with the right teams needing help.

ewing
12-04-2016, 08:55 PM
i think they should cut everyone on the team and sign a bunch of d league talent.

YAALREADYKNO
12-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Sucks to see Dirk injured. Hopefully he comes back and gets to 30,000 career points then call it a career

mightybosstone
12-06-2016, 01:58 PM
I wonder if Bogut is regretting his decision yet. Supposedly a lot of media reported that he was deciding between Houston and Dallas in the offseaosn before picking the Mavs.

muelly
12-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Andrew Bogut: $11,027,027 expiring
Deron Williams: $9,000,000 expiring
Devin Harris: $4,227,996, $4,402,546 team option
JJ Barea: $4,096,950, $3,903,900, $3,710,850
Wes Matthews $17,145,838, $17,884,175, $18,622,513

JJ might be tradeable for an expiring, and Bogut might get moved for a pick if they are willing to take back a bad contract, but otherwise I don't see how any of that is movable.

Well if they'd like to save a bit of money I'd have no issue the Bucks flipping Plumlee for Matthews further guaranteeing they tank. Plumlee has 1 extra year on his contract but is about 5 million cheaper per. I might even be inclined to offer Vaughn in the deal if needed.

Garbage for garbage, don't see that happening but it's a great idea.

da ThRONe
12-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Matthews contract isn't as bad as it may have been after this recent cap jump and there's still one more. The only person that's tough to move is Nowitzki 25million and that's likely doable if he can be talked into a trade.

IndyRealist
12-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Matthews contract isn't as bad as it may have been after this recent cap jump and there's still one more. The only person that's tough to move is Nowitzki 25million and that's likely doable if he can be talked into a trade.

The contract itself is not insane, but his production is as low as it's ever been. Not worth trading for in the slightest.

da ThRONe
12-06-2016, 05:29 PM
The contract itself is not insane, but his production is as low as it's ever been. Not worth trading for in the slightest.

Matthews play has improved over the last few games. If that trend continues he will could be considered an asset after Dec 15 when newly signed FA's can be traded.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Will Cuban surrender and tank though?

da ThRONe
12-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Will Cuban surrender and tank though?

From everything I've read nope. They'll be bad for years to come because of it also.

kobe4thewinbang
12-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Well, that's sad news. Not surprising, given how much trouble Dirk's had with the injury. The Mavs whiffed after their championship, and it's time for curtains. Trade whoever they can and go from there. No point in waiting to do it in the summer, start now. It's over.

Lakers + Giants
12-08-2016, 03:52 AM
sucks, he's gonna go out just like kobe. The end of his career is gonna be sad.

YAALREADYKNO
12-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Dirk, come back shoot 30 shots a game get to 30,000 points then retire at the end of the year

Lakers + Giants
12-09-2016, 05:54 AM
Dirk, come back shoot 30 shots a game get to 30,000 points then retire at the end of the year

as a laker fan who saw kobe do that, I would have no problem with dirk doing that. In fact, they should let him him lmao.

Sssmush
12-09-2016, 06:18 PM
*ssssshhhhhh* Don't tell anyone, but Dallas is tanking.