PDA

View Full Version : Was Greg Oden the biggest bust in NBA history?

mrblisterdundee
11-24-2016, 02:11 PM
ESPN ran a story about Greg Oden moving on from basketball and going back to Ohio State University to get a degree. Oden shared his take on his time in the NBA:

"I'll be remembered as the biggest bust in NBA history. But I can't do nothing about that...
"If you're just comparing it to all the years I've been in the league, or comparing it to what KD has done... I would say comparing our two careers, you have to say that."
- Chris Haynes, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18044283/kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-says-nonsense-greg-oden-feels-bust)
Kevin Durant disagreed:

“Nonsense. That’s nonsense. In order for you to be a bust, you have to actually play and show people that you progressed as a player. He didn’t get a chance to.”
His rookie season, a 21-year-old Oden averaged 14.8 points points, 11.6 rebounds and 1.9 blocks blocks per 36 minutes over 61 games. His second season, Oden improved to nearly 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds, 3.4 blocks and 1.4 assists per 36 minutes, but only played 23 games. He only played 82 games over the five seasons he was under contract with Portland.
Do you think that makes him a bust, or even the biggest bust in NBA history? Was he a worse pick than Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan?

tredigs
11-24-2016, 02:19 PM
He's "N/A", not a bust. KDs take is the correct one here.

Anthony Bennett went #1. He was a masssive "bust" (granted a weak draft). Granted, it sucks for him that KD was the only other one that was considered at #1 and he became a top 20ish player all time.

mrblisterdundee
11-24-2016, 02:24 PM
I think Oden's a bust, but not necessarily the biggest ever. He's worse than Bowie, who had about five alright seasons.
I would argue that Darko Milicic over Dwyane Wade was a worse pick, in retrospect. While often injured, Milicic had a couple healthy seasons, and never showed the talent of Oden. Wade, meanwhile, has arguably been a top-five shooting guard all-time, depending on where people think he falls compared to Clyde Drexler, Allen Iverson and George Gervin.

mrblisterdundee
11-24-2016, 02:27 PM
The closest comparison I can find to early-career Oden right now is Joel Embiid. If he can stay healthy, Embiid has shown he can do damage, even more so than Oden. Let's hope he holds up.

tredigs
11-24-2016, 03:16 PM
I'll put it this way, it's a franchise bust, but disingenuous to call the man himself a bust.

GodsSon
11-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Sucks that he's a local kid, but Anthony Bennett is the biggest bust of all time. Not even his fault, that draft was **** and Cleveland reached big time.

koreancabbage
11-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Sucks that he's a local kid, but Anthony Bennett is the biggest bust of all time. Not even his fault, that draft was **** and Cleveland reached big time.

Pretty much this. Though Oladipo was the other contender. And who thought Giannis would turn into a budding star?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffy25
11-24-2016, 04:00 PM
I don't think it's fair to say someone is a bust because of who went behind them. Sam Bowie isn't a bust just because Jordan turned into the GOAT.

Oden seems like an honest, good guy. I wish we could have seen his career, he could have been KAT for all we know.

I think someone like Bennett is more of a bust simply because he never developed like he should have and there isn't a reason he hasn't like health.

Oden was productive when he had the opportunity to play. Durant may end up a top 10 player ever.

I still thought Durant was the choice over Oden at the time. Rarely am I right in the NBA world. But Oden's injuries couldn't have been expected. I just thought Durant had worlds of upside, and he's exceeded what anyone could have hoped for him.

As a Fresh, Durant posted 25.8 PPG, 11.1 RPG, on .404% 3 shooting, good free throws and overall shooting playing every game at Texas. That's one of the better freshmen years we've seen.

Oden posted 15.7 PPG, 9.6 RPG with poor free throw shooting but great basket attacking and rim protecting in his 32 Ohio State games.

Just on the surface, Durant looked like the choice to me. I know college stats don't tell you every thing and Oden had Mike Conley, Cook, Ron Lewis and Othello Hunter on that team with him and Durant had Abrams and Augustin. Scoring was Durant's job. Oden had the job of helping the team win and go 35-4 (to Durant's 25-10 season).

Clint Olbrock
11-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Anthony Bennett, easily.

KnicksorBust
11-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Injuries are unpredictable. I will never look at him as a bust.

mrblisterdundee
11-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Pretty much this. Though Oladipo was the other contender. And who thought Giannis would turn into a budding star?

How is Victor Oladipo a contender? I understand he can't shoot, which is holding him back, but he's been a decent guard so far. He's got the eighth-most win shares so far out of his draft, even having played on a crappy team like Orlando. Either he or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope are the best guard from that draft (which admittedly isn't saying much.).

Blink
11-24-2016, 09:54 PM
I can't call Oden a bust. Dude showed potential when he played. Injuries are something you can't control.

Yeah Bennet was bad but That whole draft was just bad as far as for franchise players.

Has to be Darko. Pistons fan aside it has to be him.

Kwame Brown?

SoulBrotha
11-24-2016, 11:31 PM
He's not a bust. He was actually good

HandsOnTheWheel
11-25-2016, 12:04 AM
Def Bennett.

IndyRealist
11-25-2016, 12:25 AM
Michael Olowokandi anyone?

Sinattle
11-25-2016, 04:23 AM
Hasheem Thabeet where is he now?

Exactly

Hawkeye15
11-25-2016, 11:00 AM
can't be a bust if injuries is what took you out. Being a "bust", is because you flat out didn't play anywhere near your draft slot.

mudvayne387
11-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Kwame Brown gets my vote

Clint Olbrock
11-25-2016, 02:04 PM
For sure not Oden, the dude was good when he played.. Just couldn't health wise get it together.

Thabeet wasn't a number 1 overall pick so even though he may have some garbage stats I can't consider him biggest bust of all time.

Olowokandi actually had some solid years with the Clips stats wise, can't consider him.

Brown has some decent years in there, not number 1 overall type numbers but not the biggest bust of all time either.

Darko for sure challenges for it but winning a title as a rookie though doesn't mean much is more than a lot of guys can say. Not that it equates to his stats but a couple season here and there may have saved him.

Sam Bowie I don't think was mentioned but because who was drafted after him he gets crap but dude put up some pretty good numbers believe it or not, he is far from it.

Now to my point.. Anthony Bennett the kid has been in the league in 4 seasons and has played on a different team every season.. He hasn't shown anything. He is still 23 so maybe he can find a way to turn it around, I highly doubt it though.. As it currently stands he is the hands down biggest bust.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2016, 02:06 PM
For sure not Oden, the dude was good when he played.. Just couldn't health wise get it together.

Thabeet wasn't a number 1 overall pick so even though he may have some garbage stats I can't consider him biggest bust of all time.

Olowokandi actually had some solid years with the Clips stats wise, can't consider him.

Brown has some decent years in there, not number 1 overall type numbers but not the biggest bust of all time either.

Darko for sure challenges for it but winning a title as a rookie though doesn't mean much is more than a lot of guys can say. Not that it equates to his stats but a couple season here and there may have saved him.

Sam Bowie I don't think was mentioned but because who was drafted after him he gets crap but dude put up some pretty good numbers believe it or not, he is far from it.

Now to my point.. Anthony Bennett the kid has been in the league in 4 seasons and has played on a different team every season.. He hasn't shown anything. He is still 23 so maybe he can find a way to turn it around, I highly doubt it though.. As it currently stands he is the hands down biggest bust.

Wasn't everyone SHOCKED when Bennett was the #1 pick though? Terrible draft, nobody saw that coming. Meaning, nobody ever expected Bennett to be a star coming out of college.

Not to say you are wrong if we are going purely off where they were picked, instead of perceived. Darko was taken over some HOF first ballot players, I still think he is the answer. Taking a few other guys instead of him alters the landscape of some teams history.

Vee-Rex
11-25-2016, 03:29 PM
can't be a bust if injuries is what took you out. Being a "bust", is because you flat out didn't play anywhere near your draft slot.

This x10

R. Johnson#3
11-25-2016, 05:40 PM
To be a bust you have to play. We don't know if Oden sucked or not because he was always hurt. A good example of a bust would be Kwame Brown.

Aust
11-25-2016, 07:38 PM
I made a thread a couple years ago talking about Oden and bust which revolved around considering someone a bust based on poor play and injury both being separate categories. Can a player that shows real ability, but poor health, be considered a bust? It was interesting to see that opinions varied on this. I assumed everyone would say yes, but quite a few were reluctant.

Scoots
11-25-2016, 09:00 PM
We need a different terms for the team's perspective based on the draft pick spent, and another for the player in the context of his demonstrating his ability in the NBA, and another for career value based on players drafted in the same draft.

The draft pick they spent on Oden was a busted pick since that pick didn't pay out.

Oden as a player didn't bust because when he was able to play he was good enough to not be a bust.

Oden's career is a bust compared to his draft mates. His career is maybe top 30 from the 2007 draft which is brutal based on being the #1 pick.

AllBall
11-26-2016, 12:23 PM
If when you play you don't put up the stats hyped about then you're a bust. He did put up those numbers when he played. So not a bust, just injury prone.

AntiG
11-27-2016, 10:44 PM

Most of the time for most sports, when one discusses a bust, its whether they were successful draft picks for a franchise. From a purely technical standpoint, Oden is definitely one of the biggest busts ever because he contributed next to nothing to the franchise. Injury can be one of the reasons for why a player was a bust of course, which is the case for Oden.

BKLYNpigeon
11-27-2016, 10:54 PM
No, Oden was injured and never got the chance to prove himself.

kingsdelez24
12-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Darko had some decent flashes of potential and would then get buried by his coaches. His playoff numbers in 07 were pretty decent for the magic coming off the bench. He would have still been hanging around kinda like Bogut had he been properly developed.

Scoots
12-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Darko had some decent flashes of potential and would then get buried by his coaches. His playoff numbers in 07 were pretty decent for the magic coming off the bench. He would have still been hanging around kinda like Bogut had he been properly developed.

Coaching and system are so hard to define the impact on a players career. I remember an NFL CB who was dominant in bump and run and he kept getting put in zone or non-bump man and his career was significantly shortened because of it.

Draymond Green probably doesn't get to be a starting PF in the NBA for too many coaches in the NFL, let alone get a system tailored to his strengths.

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Busts are guys who weren't good. You get injured, it's not being a bust, it's being unlucky.

He showed the potential to be a elite C if he has time to develop with regular minutes and good coaching.

Bennett... I feel bad for... nobody was expecting him to go top five a month prior... why was he picked first? No clue.

Kwambe Brown is a pretty big bust, but he was also considered a gamble.

Bargnani was picked first in what was considered a weak draft.

I guess I'd go with the Kandi man. He was ****. But Brown, Bargnani, and Bennet are all good picks.

Lesson is: Don't draft a guy who last name start with "B".

zookman65
12-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Busts needed to be taken in context. Any way you slice it the Trailblazers had 2 monumental busts in Bowie and Oden. How does one team do that. The only bigger bust I can think of was the Rams taking Goff when Dak Prescott was sitting there for another 134 picks.