PDA

View Full Version : 50-50 contact goes to the actor

Scoots
11-24-2016, 12:31 PM
I think the refs are better than they have been in falling for blatant flops, but I've noticed that on 50-50 balls the refs make the call for the player who flails more, who head-snaps more.

How should 50-50 balls be officiated? I think that if neither player reaches or grabs just go with a no call and if someone flops they are giving up on the ball, and if they are no-calls then they will stop flopping soon enough.

Once that's taken care of we can work on the flops 25 feet from the basket by players going around screens.

The flop is alive and well.

warfelg
11-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Not really breaking news TBH.

tredigs
11-24-2016, 12:50 PM

Ilyasova's flopping last night was disturbing and it worked. Then Memphis started doing it in what looked like a blatant "well if these *** holes are pulling it off on us...). Hoping he gets 5-10k in fines. That was tough to watch.

warfelg
11-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Ilyasova's flopping last night was disturbing and it worked. Then Memphis started doing it in what looked like a blatant "well if these *** holes are pulling it off on us...). Hoping he gets 5-10k in fines. That was tough to watch.

Agreed. It's about the only thing I done like about Illy.

tredigs
11-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Ya he's a solid addition and when he's on he's a game changer. He goes on looong swings though (good and bad) as you'll prob find out this year. Overall that was a fun game, but the flopping started to taint it. Would've been rootin for the Sixers if Indisnt have the other side.

warfelg
11-24-2016, 01:22 PM
I think part of Illy's thing is he does take so many hard charges and contact that he can really sell those flops because he does the real thing often enough.

But I hate it. They need to come up with a better way to monitor. I mean a few thousand fine to a guy making $9 mil a year is nothing.

I hope Saric and Embiid don't pick up bad habits.

Also:
You should have been rooting against us anyways. Okafor was a total **** show last night. Double OT: 2 points, 1 rebound. From a supposed "offensive post savant".

Scoots
11-24-2016, 03:44 PM

They don't fine on flops. They warn, they warn, they warn. There were 2 TOTAL fines for flopping last year and they were on teammates on the same day and totalled $10k. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjCWcrtH_M

Scoots
11-24-2016, 03:46 PM

True, but this year it seems worse. The crash and pass isn't be called as much as it was, but the flopping seems to be going up a lot this year after a down year last year.

tredigs
11-24-2016, 04:12 PM
They don't fine on flops. They warn, they warn, they warn. There were 2 TOTAL fines for flopping last year and they were on teammates on the same day and totalled $10k. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjCWcrtH_M
Trying not to ruffle feathers before the CBA.

warfelg
11-24-2016, 05:29 PM
True, but this year it seems worse. The crash and pass isn't be called as much as it was, but the flopping seems to be going up a lot this year after a down year last year.

To me it's honestly the "offensive" flops that kill me. The guys who end up missing shots to get a foul called.

Like defensively (since offensive fouls are more rare) you have to sell the contact.

But this goes hand in hand with unusual motions while shooting (i.e. The leg kick) getting calls and the vertical jumper so I'll jump up into them (Harden does this the most) getting calls. When that happens and those get calls along with overplaying the contact....[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

tp13baby
11-24-2016, 06:02 PM
To me it's honestly the "offensive" flops that kill me. The guys who end up missing shots to get a foul called.

Like defensively (since offensive fouls are more rare) you have to sell the contact.

But this goes hand in hand with unusual motions while shooting (i.e. The leg kick) getting calls and the vertical jumper so I'll jump up into them (Harden does this the most) getting calls. When that happens and those get calls along with overplaying the contact....[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Lol Gallo may be the biggest flipper in the league. He is notoriously bad for exaggerating every time he gets touched. I can't stand it. I think refs need to control the flopping. Give warnings about excessive flailing then the second time t them up. Cause to be honest it's hard to like a player like Gallonari.

warfelg
11-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Lol Gallo may be the biggest flipper in the league. He is notoriously bad for exaggerating every time he gets touched. I can't stand it. I think refs need to control the flopping. Give warnings about excessive flailing then the second time t them up. Cause to be honest it's hard to like a player like Gallonari.

I say just don't call it. I know easier said than done.

Scoots
11-24-2016, 06:34 PM
I say just don't call it. I know easier said than done.

Indeed. Both ways.

I'd also like to get the refs to NEVER call a foul when an offensive player yells "AND ONE!"

Vee-Rex
11-24-2016, 08:03 PM
The problem is that these 50/50 calls APPEAR to be 75/25 (or more) calls when a person flops.

I'm not sure what more they can do about it.

I honestly wish they'd call loose games all the time instead of just the playoffs.

Scoots
11-24-2016, 08:49 PM
The problem is that these 50/50 calls APPEAR to be 75/25 (or more) calls when a person flops.

I'm not sure what more they can do about it.

I honestly wish they'd call loose games all the time instead of just the playoffs.

I agree. But the MOST important thing is that they call them consistently ... disregarding acting is just part of it.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-24-2016, 09:46 PM
I 100% agree that 50-50 calls should go to the one who can subtly shift the call to his way.

tredigs
11-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Just like to add.. NBA officiating is EXTREMELY difficult, specifically flashpoint charge/block fouls. We would ALL look like complete incompetent tools in their place, please understand that. And if you disagree? You are a ****ing idiot who needs to take a course in remedial refereeing.

warfelg
11-24-2016, 11:13 PM
Just like to add.. NBA officiating is EXTREMELY difficult, specifically flashpoint charge/block fouls. We would ALL look like complete incompetent tools in their place, please understand that. And if you disagree? You are a ****ing idiot who needs to take a course in remedial refereeing.

Coach high school basketball and ref college lacrosse.

Yes it's faster than what I ref and coach.

What's Burns me is the lack of communication. I make a touchy call and the first thing I do is go to the next closest and we confer about what happened. Do we miss some? Sure. But it's not hard to get it right.

Scoots
11-25-2016, 01:47 AM
Sure it's hard ... but those 50-50 calls are often out in the open and easy to see.

The NBA needs to add a ref to every game.

warfelg
11-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Sure it's hard ... but those 50-50 calls are often out in the open and easy to see.

The NBA needs to add a ref to every game.

Nah. I think part of the issue is they need crews that do a long stretch of games together.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2016, 12:29 PM

correct. Yes, stars get calls, but at the end of the day, no matter how many times you think the refs jobbed your team, 2 things:

1- it was probably 50/50, meaning you got some calls too
2- they are the best available, get over it

Ariza's Better
11-26-2016, 07:22 AM
Sadly refs are humans and humans limited by being you know, human. So until we get our robot refs that will turn on us all and take over the world, the league need to properly punish players.