PDA

View Full Version : Lakers, Wolves, 76ers. Which team will win a championship first?

Vee-Rex
11-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Which team do you think will win a championship first and why.

TheDish87
11-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Sixers vs Wolves in the 2020 NBA Finals.

SeoulBeatz
11-23-2016, 02:17 PM
1) Wolves
2)A) Lakers
2)B) Sixers

Vee-Rex
11-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Here's a few arguments I see for all:

Lakers - Lots of young talent on the team and are playing the best of the 3 right now. Luke Walton as coach was the best acquisition of the offseason for them. He's no doubt installing a terrific system for a young group of players and seems to have their respect. If Randle/Russell/Ingram continue to develop well, watch out!

Wolves - The team loaded with young talent. Wiggins and Towns are the top 2 players out of all 3 teams right now, and the addition of Thibs should help solidify them into a playoff team in the near future. The upside here is great especially with the young and productive role-players in Lavine and Dieng.

76ers - Embiid is displaying hall of fame potential, and the same is expected of Ben Simmons. The two of them can go down as potentially the best 2 players of the 3 teams if they can stay healthy. Also, the 76ers are in the East which has less top-heavy talent, making it easier to compete for a championship if they come into their own right when LeBron declines enough.

BKLYNpigeon
11-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Lakers, They have done it many times before.

warfelg
11-23-2016, 02:54 PM
Sixers. More cap and more movable assets outside the core than the other teams.

Hawkeye15
11-23-2016, 02:59 PM
The Wolves have shown me nothing but ineptitude since their inception. I can't possibly have any faith they will get it right. Is it the most exciting time to be a Wolves fan ever? Sure. But Glen Taylor owns this team...

The Lakers are the easy answer. While large market doesn't mean near what it used to, free agents will still flock there once their young talent matures.

DanG
11-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Wolves & Sixers probably have the 4 best prospects, but the Lakers are becoming a very attractive destination for superstars because of Luke & the young core.

Embiid/Simmons are probably going to own the East once LeBron goes through a considerable decline.

cmellofan15
11-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Lakers, They have done it many times before.

this is what i came in here to say.

Avenged
11-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Assuming any of these teams will even win one with their young talent any time soon? Lakers going off their game this year but the Wolves have the best players. I can't imagine a universe where the Wolves are champions in my life time.

The sixers are a tough one to predict. They can be great if all their pieces pan out in due time. If you're running that team and even the fan base is going to have to be really patient.

Chronz
11-23-2016, 03:58 PM
As is? Twolves

The rest have to hope to become competitive enough to sway marquee players to go there.

Aust
11-25-2016, 07:34 PM
TWolves

aman_13
11-25-2016, 07:40 PM
My prediction would be the Lakers because of said reason. On paper it's the Wolves tho.

MJNetsIsles
11-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Wolves.

europagnpilgrim
11-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Here's a few arguments I see for all:

Lakers - Lots of young talent on the team and are playing the best of the 3 right now. Luke Walton as coach was the best acquisition of the offseason for them. He's no doubt installing a terrific system for a young group of players and seems to have their respect. If Randle/Russell/Ingram continue to develop well, watch out!

Wolves - The team loaded with young talent. Wiggins and Towns are the top 2 players out of all 3 teams right now, and the addition of Thibs should help solidify them into a playoff team in the near future. The upside here is great especially with the young and productive role-players in Lavine and Dieng.

76ers - Embiid is displaying hall of fame potential, and the same is expected of Ben Simmons. The two of them can go down as potentially the best 2 players of the 3 teams if they can stay healthy. Also, the 76ers are in the East which has less top-heavy talent, making it easier to compete for a championship if they come into their own right when LeBron declines enough.

based on what you said about Embiid/Simmons being potential HOF caliber I would personally have to roll with Philly but the Lakers are always in the free agent mix to land a big name which would push them over the top

with that said its 1 and 1a Lakers(more recent and overall nba success) and Sixers and Wolves are a super long shot at 2 just based on past and current history, I mean could the nba be any more disrespectful to Minny by taking away those 5 titles Mikan won in the early inception of the league, they should have kept that core of Marbury/KG/Gugliiotta together and that could have been something to see

by the time the Wolves/Lakers are title ready all the other top teams in the West will be on the decline as well, in 4 years they will be probably ready and Spurs/Warriors wont be the same in that span nor the Clippers

More-Than-Most
11-25-2016, 09:08 PM
It depends on Embiid health... How good will Russ and Ingram and Simmons be and if Levine will turn into a star... The only sure things about these teams right now is Towns and Wiggins so the answer should be the wolves.... That being said if Embiid remains healthy and Simmons falls into his talent id take the sixers with these 2 guys plus saric over the other 2 teams players.... Towns is a sure fire top player but I said it before and I will say it again Embiid has best player in basketball talent and he has no holes and Saric and Simmons fits perfectly with him... Right now its the wolves but the sixers could jump right over them quickly depending on Simmons and how our next off season goes... We have our top pick and the lakers pick and a ton of money and there wont be many people who wont want to play with embiid in free agency....

To me right now its

Wolves

Sixers
Lakers

Sixers are ahead of the lakers simply because they have nobody close to embiids level or potential... I also feel as though the lakers are going to make a very stupid trade soon and go all in for a cousins whom I love but I wouldnt give up ingram/Russ for cousins which they would have to because now you are a better team but you are stuck in purgatory hell with no chance at a championship and limited young talent outside of cousins/Randle.

More-Than-Most
11-26-2016, 01:17 AM
Should have made the polls public... Easier to see what non bias fans think.

kobe4thewinbang
11-26-2016, 02:52 AM
Easily, the Lakers. Though still a longshot. Walton might recapture lightning like with the Warriors, and the Lakers are fringe-good again, but nothing is certain. The top dogs in the west and Cavs/Raptors in the east aren't slacking anytime soon, either. But the Wolves have really underwhelmed being everybody's pick to improve with Thibodeau. And the 76ers? Really?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-26-2016, 03:38 AM
Way too early to answer this question.

TheDish87
11-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Easily, the Lakers. Though still a longshot. Walton might recapture lightning like with the Warriors, and the Lakers are fringe-good again, but nothing is certain. The top dogs in the west and Cavs/Raptors in the east aren't slacking anytime soon, either. But the Wolves have really underwhelmed being everybody's pick to improve with Thibodeau. And the 76ers? Really?

lol easily the team that plays 0 defense and doesnt have 1 of the 4 best prospects of the 3 teams? There is no easy answer to this one.

Miltstar
11-27-2016, 10:00 AM
I'd say Lakers or the Sixers

Until the league gets a little less rigged the T-Wolves really have no hope being in Minnesota

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-27-2016, 10:30 AM
Should of had the Bucks in the poll as well. Not to be bias. But Bucks are another young team even though Kidd's crazy rotations and benching guys and barely playing some of the young guys then plays his old friend Jet more then Vaughn. Also new owners meddling for win now guys instead of playing young guys.

PurpleLynch
11-27-2016, 02:04 PM
If the evaluation is based on current talent,I'd say Wolves:Towns,Wiggins,Lavine,Dieng and Dunn are a strong and young core.
Sixers and Lakers have the same shot,even if Lakers have the best coach and Sixers the best player(Embiid)

dhopisthename
11-27-2016, 02:31 PM
I would pick the twolves since they have towns who is currently the best player by far. we haven't seen simmons so it could change though. However its very possible that none of them win one anytime soon.

D Blue987
11-27-2016, 03:17 PM
The Wolves have shown me nothing but ineptitude since their inception. I can't possibly have any faith they will get it right. Is it the most exciting time to be a Wolves fan ever? Sure. But Glen Taylor owns this team...

The Lakers are the easy answer. While large market doesn't mean near what it used to, free agents will still flock there once their young talent matures.

This. Lakers are playing much better than many people expected at this juncture. At some point when the kids mature, it will likely become a premier place for FA to sign again. Also, when/if Trump cuts fed taxes to 15% like he says, it will make LA a bit more attractive than it is currently. Much easier to deal with 25-30% taxes fed and state than 50%. lol.

Aust
11-27-2016, 11:52 PM
If the evaluation is based on current talent,I'd say Wolves:Towns,Wiggins,Lavine,Dieng and Dunn are a strong and young core.
Sixers and Lakers have the same shot,even if Lakers have the best coach and Sixers the best player(Embiid)

Towns

Miltstar
11-27-2016, 11:54 PM
Towns

I personally think Wiggins is the best of the bunch

More-Than-Most
11-28-2016, 03:27 AM
Towns

Adorable... Towns and Wiggins are fighting for 2nd... As long as Joel stays healthy this league is his within 1 and a half seasons.

He is a monster at the end of games... he played 8 minutes in the 4th and threw down 12 points 2 rebounds an assist and a steal and was guarding kyrie irving at key stretches... You cant say that about any other big... This dude was on kyrie

Mave1002
11-28-2016, 04:05 AM
Lakers - Best weapon right now is the coaching, the team-play system AND a bench with a mission. The Lakers have a long way to go but the foundation is being built and the team is playing as one unit. Thee most important thing in the game of basketball.

Call it pressure but i'll say motivation.. the Lakers will always be poised to win it all. They could go out for awhile but you know theyll be back sooner than later. Future is bright.

Wolves - Easily have the best team -- ON PAPER? or... easily the best team because of KAT? I think it's the latter. Not being a homer but theyre at the bottom of the standings with KAT playing like beast but yeah the Lakers proved that they can win today without two of their best players while starting third stringers. THIRD STRINGERS.

I'll pick the Wolves if, and only if theyve got the system that the Lakers are running though I will also keep asking the same question again and again, what happens if KAT is out?

Sixers -A lot of question marks.

1.) Besides Joel Embiid managing to stay healthy and showing unlimited potential, what else do they have to go up against, let's say a future final four tournament against the Lakers, Wolves and Bucks?

2.) What is the current value of Nerlens Noel and what can they get in exchange for his soon to be very expensive contract?

3.) What is the ceiling of Jahlil Okafor? How long can a Duke standout, a player who just led his team to a recent championship, a top 3 pick, psychologically survive playing behind Embiid, off the bench? Is this actually good for player development?

4.) Ben Simmons going down on year 1. What's next?

5.) Wolves = Thibs, Lakers = Luke, Sixers = ???

More-Than-Most
11-28-2016, 07:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfHuKU7eFnc

Inside the NBA had this debate.

Mave1002
11-28-2016, 09:26 AM
I must say though... a top 3 pick + either Okafor or Noel would be really tempting for the likes of John Wall.

I'd give up all my picks for Wall and Oubre Jr. if I were Philly. Ends the tanking process, automatically. Okafor becomes the insurance back-up guy for Embiid but if Joel finishes the season strong -- you can also ship big Jah out for other pieces to complete the process.

Embiid/Okafor
Simmons/Saric
Oubre Jr./Covington
Henderson/Stauskas
Wall/Bayless

TheDish87
11-28-2016, 09:44 AM
we talked about Wall before but not sure exactly how he fits with Simmons, prob need to see Simmons on the court first. Plus we could be drafting our pg of the future in this draft in what seems to be pretty deep at the position.

SeoulBeatz
11-28-2016, 11:24 AM
I must say though... a top 3 pick + either Okafor or Noel would be really tempting for the likes of John Wall.

I'd give up all my picks for Wall and Oubre Jr. if I were Philly. Ends the tanking process, automatically. Okafor becomes the insurance back-up guy for Embiid but if Joel finishes the season strong -- you can also ship big Jah out for other pieces to complete the process.

Embiid/Okafor
Simmons/Saric
Oubre Jr./Covington
Henderson/Stauskas
Wall/Bayless

I'm all for moving our assets for a more win-now type player at this stage in the process, but I don't think Wall is the right guy. Our best shooter would still be Embiid. If we could snag Lillard (would never happen) then I would trade the farm for him.

Some package around Okafor for C.J McCollum was being tossed around this offseason but never came to fruition, I would be all for that move as well.

EDIT: And keep in mind that I think Simmons will basically be our PG/primary ballhandler. Combo guards would fit perfectly next to him but I think Simmons passing is elite and too good of an asset to play him off the ball.

SteBO
11-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Lakers by a hair only because of FA. If we're looking at best case scenarios here for all 3 teams (current young talent matures and becomes all they can be), the Wolves have the best young talent of the bunch (Wiggins and KAT at the top amongst all 3 teams, Lavine and Dieng), Philly has Embiid who has HOF potential, and I like what I've seen out of Ingram and Russell this year in LA.

But free agency can make or break teams in the modern day NBA, and the Lakers have the biggest edge.

TheDish87
11-28-2016, 03:07 PM
i dont think there is a big FA edge in todays NBA. Lakers havent signed anyone big in a long time now. Being good in a big market will certainly help but guys want to play with another star/s.

R!kSm!tz
11-28-2016, 03:16 PM
1. Lakers
2. Wolves
3. Sixers

europagnpilgrim
11-28-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm all for moving our assets for a more win-now type player at this stage in the process, but I don't think Wall is the right guy. Our best shooter would still be Embiid. If we could snag Lillard (would never happen) then I would trade the farm for him.

Some package around Okafor for C.J McCollum was being tossed around this offseason but never came to fruition, I would be all for that move as well.

EDIT: And keep in mind that I think Simmons will basically be our PG/primary ballhandler. Combo guards would fit perfectly next to him but I think Simmons passing is elite and too good of an asset to play him off the ball.

Yeah Wall wouldn't be a good fit when Simmons returns since he will be basically Lebron like with him handling the ball/playmaking, Lillard or Klay would be the right fit since both can play off the ball and hit 3's/jumpers

Simmons cant shoot with range unless he improves during his time off but I don't think he will still be a threat so he needs shooters around him since they already have athletic big who can finish/create In the mix

TheDish87
11-28-2016, 04:55 PM
I dont think Lillard is obtainable but McCollum could be eventually. Portland invested too much money into guards and its going to be really hard to move Turner or Crabbe on those deals. Theyre getting better production from Harkelss who makes a good chuck less than both.

Noel, Hollis Thompson and one of the 1st we own would have to be tempting for Portland.

SeoulBeatz
11-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Yeah Wall wouldn't be a good fit when Simmons returns since he will be basically Lebron like with him handling the ball/playmaking, Lillard or Klay would be the right fit since both can play off the ball and hit 3's/jumpers

Simmons cant shoot with range unless he improves during his time off but I don't think he will still be a threat so he needs shooters around him since they already have athletic big who can finish/create In the mix

Yeah, based on what I've seen from Simmons during summer league his shooting is erratic at best. He'll make a smooth midrange jumper but then follow up with an airball and a brick off the backrim.

But damn, I can't wait for him to come back. This team is in dire need of some playmaking/rebounding. Sergio Rodriguez is solid but too turnover prone and T.J Mcconnell just dribbles around in circles until the shot-clock expires. Bayless is playing well but he's more suited in an off-the ball role.

Simmons has unbelievable court vision for a man his size and I can't wait to see how he opens things up for this team. I realize it's only summer league but I haven't seen many 6'10 players who can pass like this kid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnxrBAm9NzI

January can't come soon enough.

Vee-Rex
11-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah, based on what I've seen from Simmons during summer league his shooting is erratic at best. He'll make a smooth midrange jumper but then follow up with an airball and a brick off the backrim.

But damn, I can't wait for him to come back. This team is in dire need of some playmaking/rebounding. Sergio Rodriguez is solid but too turnover prone and T.J Mcconnell just dribbles around in circles until the shot-clock expires. Bayless is playing well but he's more suited in an off-the ball role.

Simmons has unbelievable court vision for a man his size and I can't wait to see how he opens things up for this team. I realize it's only summer league but I haven't seen many 6'10 players who can pass like this kid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnxrBAm9NzI

January can't come soon enough.

Yep, I can't wait for his return either. Timetable is late January/early February, right?

warfelg
11-28-2016, 07:06 PM
To everyone saying the Lakers because of free agency:

If next years cap is $110 mil, they might not make much of an impact because they have $82.5 mil spent alreadu and will have 3 open roster positions. 25% max salary is going to be $27.5 mil. Unless they make some cap clearing cuts they will have to sign sub max players.

PurpleLynch
11-29-2016, 08:39 AM
To everyone saying the Lakers because of free agency:

If next years cap is $110 mil, they might not make much of an impact because they have $82.5 mil spent alreadu and will have 3 open roster positions. 25% max salary is going to be $27.5 mil. Unless they make some cap clearing cuts they will have to sign sub max players.

Yeah,Moz and Deng deals screwed us,but I think that with Luke's system we could just make good use of what we can get.

warfelg
11-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Yeah,Moz and Deng deals screwed us,but I think that with Luke's system we could just make good use of what we can get.

I'm not saying you can't get quality players. It was just funny to me that you guys can barely afford a max player next year and there were a couple of Lakers fans running around saying that the Moz and Deng deals wouldn't hurt you long term.

To me the "issue" with the Lakers cap situation is this:
You just signed Moz, Deng, Clarkson. You got the space to make some moves next year. But then you have to pay Randle, then Russell. Could easily and quickly put yourselves right back into the no cap locked in roster situation really fast. And there's not a ton of tradeable assets without giving up someone of value.

So in terms of these three teams I put the Sixers first, because (a little homer here) we have the 2 best young players (Simmons+Embiid), we have the most tradeable assets (Okafor, Noel, Saric, RoCo, Lakers pick, Sac pick, our own picks), and we have the most cap room each year. Sure we don't have a top to bottom better team, but we have the flexibility to change things faster than the Lakers or the Wolves.

Vinylman
11-29-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm not saying you can't get quality players. It was just funny to me that you guys can barely afford a max player next year and there were a couple of Lakers fans running around saying that the Moz and Deng deals wouldn't hurt you long term.

To me the "issue" with the Lakers cap situation is this:
You just signed Moz, Deng, Clarkson. You got the space to make some moves next year. But then you have to pay Randle, then Russell. Could easily and quickly put yourselves right back into the no cap locked in roster situation really fast. And there's not a ton of tradeable assets without giving up someone of value.

So in terms of these three teams I put the Sixers first, because (a little homer here) we have the 2 best young players (Simmons+Embiid), we have the most tradeable assets (Okafor, Noel, Saric, RoCo, Lakers pick, Sac pick, our own picks), and we have the most cap room each year. Sure we don't have a top to bottom better team, but we have the flexibility to change things faster than the Lakers or the Wolves.

meh... I don't see any of them doing well to be honest. Philly has the most assets and the most cap but Minny isn't far behind in cap flexibility (Rubio and Peck would be easy to move) and have the better young players at this point.

The Lakers situation is funny because Nick Young's good year means he will probably opt out of his player option this offseason (which gives them more for a max but they lose a contributor). The real issue is the length of the Mozgov/Deng's deals which will put the Lakers in Maverick territory (6-10 seed best case scenario) for the foreseeable future. If I am the Lakers I trade Deng to Minny and take on Pek's deal and Aldrich's deal to get out from under Deng.

Anyway, the FA thing is real... no one who is a max type guy will go to Minny and while they might to philly they will have to improve before someone else will.

warfelg
11-29-2016, 10:42 AM
meh... I don't see any of them doing well to be honest. Philly has the most assets and the most cap but Minny isn't far behind in cap flexibility (Rubio and Peck would be easy to move) and have the better young players at this point.

The Lakers situation is funny because Nick Young's good year means he will probably opt out of his player option this offseason (which gives them more for a max but they lose a contributor). The real issue is the length of the Mozgov/Deng's deals which will put the Lakers in Maverick territory (6-10 seed best case scenario) for the foreseeable future. If I am the Lakers I trade Deng to Minny and take on Pek's deal and Aldrich's deal to get out from under Deng.

Anyway, the FA thing is real... no one who is a max type guy will go to Minny and while they might to philly they will have to improve before someone else will.

My only disagreement on the bolded is you never know how fast players will respond to the young guys and buying into them being good.

I think the issue with Minny is that they have "solid" guys at so many positions already. Lavine, Wiggins, Towns, Dieng....all solid and would you really sign a max player that takes from their minutes? That really leaves PG as a go to place for a max, which would mean moving on form a solid PG in Rubio or admitting that Dunn isn't the guy you thought he was. They might be a team better off "overpaying" bench guys.

As for Philly, there;s what I already mentioned...or the fact that if we trade Noel for a cheap contract, don't pick up options on Henderson, Holmes, RoCo, TJ...we have $76 mil in cap space (on the $110 theoretical cap that is projected). So we could feasibly sign 2 or 3 max players, with picks fill out the roster, AND still have good and upcoming players. That's something that other teams to bring in max players haven't had. Depending on opt outs we could throw max offers at Heyward, Gallinari, Jrue Holiday, Lowry, CP3.....it could be interesting for us.

Vee-Rex
11-29-2016, 11:01 AM
My only disagreement on the bolded is you never know how fast players will respond to the young guys and buying into them being good.

I think the issue with Minny is that they have "solid" guys at so many positions already. Lavine, Wiggins, Towns, Dieng....all solid and would you really sign a max player that takes from their minutes? That really leaves PG as a go to place for a max, which would mean moving on form a solid PG in Rubio or admitting that Dunn isn't the guy you thought he was. They might be a team better off "overpaying" bench guys.

As for Philly, there;s what I already mentioned...or the fact that if we trade Noel for a cheap contract, don't pick up options on Henderson, Holmes, RoCo, TJ...we have $76 mil in cap space (on the $110 theoretical cap that is projected). So we could feasibly sign 2 or 3 max players, with picks fill out the roster, AND still have good and upcoming players. That's something that other teams to bring in max players haven't had. Depending on opt outs we could throw max offers at Heyward, Gallinari, Jrue Holiday, Lowry, CP3.....it could be interesting for us.

I chose Philly for precisely these reasons.

I mean, let's face it... not one of these 3 teams will win a championship in the next 3 years with the super Dubs and LeBron out there (not to mention the Spurs and Clips). It's just not gonna happen. However, I think 3 years is long enough to get development out of Embiid and Simmons. Philly has the flexibility to complement their future stars and build their team into a juggernaut over the next several years, and I don't think Minny or LA has the same assets.

LeBron should be hitting a rapid decline in several years which (as of right now anyway) may leave the East wide open for grabs, whereas the West could still have the super Dubs or some variation of it. Philly would have an easier time reaching the finals in 5 years than Minny or LA, IMO.

Of course this brings a TON of speculation since another juggernaut could rise in the East during that time, but I do think Philly has all the tools (talent, draft picks, trade assets, cap space) to reach contender status faster than the others. I don't know if BB is the man for it but that could be changed.

warfelg
11-29-2016, 11:18 AM
I chose Philly for precisely these reasons.

I mean, let's face it... not one of these 3 teams will win a championship in the next 3 years with the super Dubs and LeBron out there (not to mention the Spurs and Clips). It's just not gonna happen. However, I think 3 years is long enough to get development out of Embiid and Simmons. Philly has the flexibility to complement their future stars and build their team into a juggernaut over the next several years, and I don't think Minny or LA has the same assets.

LeBron should be hitting a rapid decline in several years which (as of right now anyway) may leave the East wide open for grabs, whereas the West could still have the super Dubs or some variation of it. Philly would have an easier time reaching the finals in 5 years than Minny or LA, IMO.

Of course this brings a TON of speculation since another juggernaut could rise in the East during that time, but I do think Philly has all the tools (talent, draft picks, trade assets, cap space) to reach contender status faster than the others. I don't know if BB is the man for it but that could be changed.

Well said. The other reason that I think that's it's important to do it this year, it's coming up on time that we will have to extend guys like Embiid, possibly Noel, Hollis, RoCo. So go get these max guys while we have some cap room, then go into the luxury tax using the bird rights to guys to get it done.

And that 3 years....I would hope that if we could at least be in the playoffs and pushing a team like the Cavs as a 6 seed to a 6th game, possibly a 7th. I dunno if they said it in your news reports, but in ours there were quotes from TT, Lebron, Kyrie, Love all praising Embiid and how we played differently because the team had a different attitude and they attributed it to him.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-29-2016, 06:44 PM
I dont think Lillard is obtainable but McCollum could be eventually. Portland invested too much money into guards and its going to be really hard to move Turner or Crabbe on those deals. Theyre getting better production from Harkelss who makes a good chuck less than both.

Noel, Hollis Thompson and one of the 1st we own would have to be tempting for Portland.

No way Portland would do that.

warfelg
11-29-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm still waiting, and think Colangelo is waiting, for someone in GS to become unhappy and then pounce.

R. Johnson#3
11-30-2016, 02:14 AM
The 76ers are a solid veteran PG away from starting their ascent out of the basement. They'll probably get one too with all the cap space they'll have. Like it was said earlier, they could field two max deals. Colangelo is also a guy who likes to make an impact and will soon find himself in an amazing situation. If the 76ers make the right moves in free agency then they could be out of the basement next season and well on their way up. I know 100% BC is going to toss money around like a lunatic. It might not be at the right person(s), but money will be thrown.

mngopher35
11-30-2016, 03:19 AM
Current young talent: Wolves

Potential with all assets included (healthy): 76ers

Wildcard due to FA/history currently with good coach, young talent:LA

I am not sure I predict that any of them win a title but I think they all do have the potential to get there if things go right, each team in a slightly different way. I have been a bit disappointed in the wolves young guys this year but gotta give it times still, they have talent.

MJNetsIsles
11-30-2016, 03:51 AM
The Knicks and they'll 3 peat with Lebron.

PurpleLynch
11-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Bucks fans are right:their young core in the East is fearsome. They belong to the conversation.

Giannis94
11-30-2016, 12:36 PM
y bucks no option. giannis is bae and in 30 years will be the GOAT. mark my words.

KnicksorBust
11-30-2016, 12:47 PM
It is a great question because since it is specific to winning a championship it becomes all about top young talent.

Philly - Embiid and Simmons
Lakers - Russell and Ingram
Wolves - Towns and Wiggins

Now obviously each of those fan bases might try and throw other names in there... "but we also have LaVine!!!!!" to sell their case but really it comes down to those 6 players. Who and how many are going to be all-nba players. My gut says Philly's duo has the highest upside. My gut also tells me that the Lakers have the best chance to swoop in and nab a game-changing free agent. But both of those gut calls are more reliant on risk. Embiid has injury concerns and Simmons is injured now and hasn't played an NBA minute. Plus the Lakers FA mystique can't really live on forever can it? I'm going with the Timberwolves.

Yes the Timberwolves are underachieving right now but they are so young. Let's not forget that in 2008, the Oklahoma City Thunder had a record of 23-59 while featuring 82 games of Westbrook and 74 games of Durant. They were 20 at the time. Towns/Wiggins are 21. It might take another season for it all to click but if I had to bet on a one of those 3 winning the title it's the Timberwolves.

Giannis94
11-30-2016, 01:00 PM
It is a great question because since it is specific to winning a championship it becomes all about top young talent.

Philly - Embiid and Simmons
Lakers - Russell and Ingram
Wolves - Towns and Wiggins
Bucks-Giannis. He just proved a Greek God Trumps an Akron King.

Now obviously each of those fan bases might try and throw other names in there... "but we also have LaVine!!!!!" to sell their case but really it comes down to those 6 players. Who and how many are going to be all-nba players. My gut says Philly's duo has the highest upside. My gut also tells me that the Lakers have the best chance to swoop in and nab a game-changing free agent. But both of those gut calls are more reliant on risk. Embiid has injury concerns and Simmons is injured now and hasn't played an NBA minute. Plus the Lakers FA mystique can't really live on forever can it? I'm going with the Timberwolves.

Yes the Timberwolves are underachieving right now but they are so young. Let's not forget that in 2008, the Oklahoma City Thunder had a record of 23-59 while featuring 82 games of Westbrook and 74 games of Durant. They were 20 at the time. Towns/Wiggins are 21. It might take another season for it all to click but if I had to bet on a one of those 3 winning the title it's the Timberwolves.
fixed.

TheDish87
11-30-2016, 01:11 PM
No way Portland would do that.

i didnt say they would but i think its something they take a 2nd look at if they miss they playoffs. They should have never paid Harkless, ET, and Crabbe all that money. they overpaid for Ezili too whose been hurt. They have no rim protection or paint D at all. I feel like a potential top 5-10 pick and Noel would be tempting plus Hollis is a steady 3pt shooter off the bench. Might need more tweaking but as a starting point its not bad.

PhillyFaninLA
11-30-2016, 01:23 PM

I think we end up with the Brooklyn Pick and one of Boston's guards (maybe not the pick but I think it may be likely).

I don't see the advantage of trading our pick, the pick swap with the Kings or the Lakers pick right now. We have the possibility of seeing what we have, knowing what moves we need to make, and still being able to make a trade on draft day or around it and possibly end up with 2 shooters/scorers on top of Embiid, Simmons, and Saric...but I agree we need to see Simmons at point first.

PhillyFaninLA
11-30-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm still waiting, and think Colangelo is waiting, for someone in GS to become unhappy and then pounce.

I think the biggest issue is Noles. He needs to get back so he can build value and be traded. I think we have a deal in place or close for him but not until he plays in a few games.

Mave1002
12-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Current young talent: Wolves

Potential with all assets included (healthy): 76ers

Wildcard due to FA/history currently with good coach, young talent:LA

I am not sure I predict that any of them win a title but I think they all do have the potential to get there if things go right, each team in a slightly different way. I have been a bit disappointed in the wolves young guys this year but gotta give it times still, they have talent.

Lakers: I'll take wildcard any day. Thanks. I think 2018 could be the biggest year for this team since the glorious reign of Phil, Kobe and Pau. If this young squad lands someone like DMC --without giving up the core then they could be classified as a legit contender.

Wolves: Minny's better on paper every year but... will it be KG/Love all over again for KAT? This monster of a player needs help.

76ers: Can't make a safe comment til I see all those questions marks answered.

1.) Ben Simmons
2.) Do we get to finally see a strong back-court next year or would they go for another pile of bigs?
3.) The state of Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor playing back-up to Embiid.

TheDish87
12-01-2016, 10:02 AM
those arent really major questions lol. We all know Simmons can play, we know that Noel is out the door very soon. We are getting decent vet play in the back court right now and Simmons is the point guard when he plays.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2016, 11:24 AM
those arent really major questions lol. We all know Simmons can play, we know that Noel is out the door very soon. We are getting decent vet play in the back court right now and Simmons is the point guard when he plays.

no we don't.

Giannis94
12-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Bucks fans are right:their young core in the East is fearsome. They belong to the conversation.

Amen brotha. Maker is freak as well. Once we get middleton back I can't wait to see the fearsome-foursome of BAE, Jabari, Middleton, and Maker just own every team in sight. Giannis singlehandedly took down the Akron King by 17 points so can you imagine what he'll do if/when the backups arrive at their full potential?!?!

TheDish87
12-01-2016, 12:15 PM
no we don't.

lol ok then

Hawkeye15
12-01-2016, 12:26 PM
lol ok then

but we don't. He hasn't played a minute of an NBA game. Before banking on a guy for the future, you may want to make sure he looks good when he plays real games...

Giannis94
12-01-2016, 12:28 PM
but we don't. He hasn't played a minute of an NBA game. Before banking on a guy for the future, you may want to make sure he looks good when he plays real games...

Exactly. could be like Brandon Jennings, put up 55 pts in his 7th game and then be all down hill from there.

TheDish87
12-01-2016, 12:39 PM
sure he could be if he resembled BJ in any way, shape, or form. We got a glimpse in summer ball, its really just a matter of how good he can be. But thats not even point, that poster i responded to likes to continuously think our back court is screwed while ignoring that Simmons is literally going to play point guard so in turn we dont have an issue there.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
sure he could be if he resembled BJ in any way, shape, or form. We got a glimpse in summer ball, its really just a matter of how good he can be. But thats not even point, that poster i responded to likes to continuously think our back court is screwed while ignoring that Simmons is literally going to play point guard so in turn we dont have an issue there.

But you don't know if you still have an issue there until he plays is all. I have watched basketball a long time, the one thing to remember is, potential, and glimpse you get from young players, need to be tempered until they get their feet wet in the NBA. Young guys like Simmons have always dominated on pure talent disparity. You will find out soon enough what his real weaknesses are.

I only mean, let the dude prove it. Summer league doesn't show much.

DanG
12-01-2016, 01:33 PM
lol you can't compare Brandon Jennings to Ben Simmons. Simmons is 6'10 250 lbs with LeBron type court vision. On top of that he's quick like a guard. 0% bust potential.

Jennings is an undersized PG with an inconsistent jumper. On top of that, he has immaturity problems.

Giannis94
12-01-2016, 01:44 PM
lol you can't compare Brandon Jennings to Ben Simmons. Simmons is 6'10 250 lbs with LeBron type court vision. On top of that he's quick like a guard. 0% bust potential.

Jennings is an undersized PG with an inconsistent jumper. On top of that, he has immaturity problems.

I didn't make the ****en comparrison. all I said is that he could be a 1 hit wonder after everyone thought BJ was going to be a god after his 55 pt game. We simply don't know if simmons can play at the nba level at this point until he proves it on the court

TheDish87
12-01-2016, 01:46 PM
we do. his game isnt predicated on scoring so his skills translate much easier. im not saying how good he is going to be, that we dont know. but i dont think many would doubt that he will be a good player

Giannis94
12-01-2016, 01:51 PM
we do. his game isnt predicated on scoring so his skills translate much easier. im not saying how good he is going to be, that we dont know. but i dont think many would doubt that he will be a good player

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3907387

DanG
12-01-2016, 02:08 PM
No shieet Simmons can play. Again, 6'10 250lbs, runs like a guard and has amazing passing skills. There's going to be times where he's the biggest guy on the court and plays PG. The todays NBA is built for players like that.

DanG
12-01-2016, 02:10 PM
I'll come back to this thread and laugh when Simmons plays his first games. There's like a 0,00001% chance he's not going to average 15-5-5 at some point in his career. Most likely next season already.

kyubi256
12-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Lakers got the coach to do it IMO. The other two got talent but no system

SeoulBeatz
12-01-2016, 06:08 PM

We don't though :(. It's hard to say exactly how his game will translate to an NBA regular season. Can he get to the cup at will like he did at college? Probably not, teams are gonna give him a ton of space and force him to shoot that iffy jumper of his.

But in summer league he showed that he can still penetrate when a defender sags off and consistently command double teams in the paint. His incredible ballhandling/athleticism allowed him to bully players and go to the hole even though they knew it was coming. I imagine it'll be significantly harder for him to do that against better competition though.

Earlier today, Brett Brown confirmed that Ben will be our starting PG when he comes back. He made it clear "he's not playing point-forward, he'll be running point guard"

Should make for some interesting matchups at the very least.

warfelg
12-01-2016, 06:27 PM
We don't though :(. It's hard to say exactly how his game will translate to an NBA regular season. Can he get to the cup at will like he did at college? Probably not, teams are gonna give him a ton of space and force him to shoot that iffy jumper of his.

But in summer league he showed that he can still penetrate when a defender sags off and consistently command double teams in the paint. His incredible ballhandling/athleticism allowed him to bully players and go to the hole even though they knew it was coming. I imagine it'll be significantly harder for him to do that against better competition though.

Earlier today, Brett Brown confirmed that Ben will be our starting PG when he comes back. He made it clear "he's not playing point-forward, he'll be running point guard"

Should make for some interesting matchups at the very least.

I said it down in the Sixers sub...

I don't think it's going to cause as many matchup problems as fans think.

Instead of looking at Simmons-Henderson-RoCo-Ilyasova-Embiid

They'll just treat it as Henderson-RoCo-Simmons-Ilyasova-Embiid.

And RoCo doesn't have as huge advantage as thought because he doesn't have much of a dribble drive game or a post game.