PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker?

shep33
11-22-2016, 12:04 AM
At one point this comparison was thought by many to be heavily in favor of Wiggins. This year however, Parker has stepped up his game, and is getting minutes with the Middleton injury. Plus he's healthy.

Wiggins is playing great right now. So is Jabari.

Who would you have going forward?

More-Than-Most
11-22-2016, 12:25 AM
I dont see how anyone can say Parker and come with an argument... I just dont see it.

europagnpilgrim
11-22-2016, 01:46 AM
Wiggins, that injury Parker got is serious for his long term career regardless how young he is, availability is the most important asset to have and Wiggins seems to be the more durable early on so I have to base it off of right now and that guy would be Wiggins

you can make a argument/case for Parker regardless how weak or strong it may be because its not like they are both sure fire all star/nba type caliber at this very moment, good players going forward though

Sadds The Gr8
11-22-2016, 02:03 AM
Wiggins for the defensive upside

hugepatsfan
11-22-2016, 08:19 AM
I don't understand how anyone in any circumstance could say Parker. Wiggins is just clearly better. Parker would be an awesome add to any franchise but Wiggins is just point blank better with no contest.

I've said this before... 1,000,001 is greater than 1,000,000. It's very close but there's no debate which is greater. Players can be the same way. I'm not saying Wiggins is a 10/10 player and Parker is a 2/10 but there really just isn't debate who's better.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Have Kidd as Wolves coach then comeback to me. Tons of games Parker gets hot early then is taken out of the game and freezed out for long stretches then put back in the game with a long sitting time. Parker has more rebounds and steals in less playing time. Only thing Wiggins really has is 3 ball and maybe little bit better defense. Parker's D been improving also 3 ball coming around.

Went 5 for 7 from down town last night over Magic. Give Parker a couple 40 minute games and he leap frogs Wiggins 25 point average easily. 1 down fall with Wiggins beyond his 47 point game against Lakers is he's inconsistent scoring wise. Look up and down his game log scoring wise then look at Parkers. Wiggins had a few stinker scoring games this season already.

Wiggins had 3 single digit scoring games. Parker scored in double digits all season with less minutes. Also Wiggins turns the ball over a bit more. Not much but Parker slightly edges out in assists as well. Not by much. But still with less minutes. But like you all said both great players. Wiggins has the edge now scoring wise. But once Kidd shortens the rotations in January Parkers scoring average should be on par with Wiggins easily.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3059319/andrew-wiggins

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3056600/jabari-parker

warfelg
11-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Parker strikes me as a "burst" player. Great in small stretches, can't/shouldn't play long periods.

But the biggest issue is he's most effective on ball, and Milwaukee has a bunch of on ball players already. Just can't go it. He also looks out of shape.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Parker strikes me as a "burst" player. Great in small stretches, can't/shouldn't play long periods.

But the biggest issue is he's most effective on ball, and Milwaukee has a bunch of on ball players already. Just can't go it. He also looks out of shape.

Last year he was out of shape. He's more thinned down this season. His high flying dunks show it.

koreancabbage
11-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Wiggins. Thibs going to make him a two way player.

Wiggins, however, will be overshadowed by Towns. His J is beautiful and pretty much automatic when open. Jabari, at this point and time, is playing catch up.

lets talk in 2 years time.

colinskik
11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
i haven't watched either closely this year, but Wiggins always struck me as a better overall talent, while Parker was essentially a scorer. But now that I'm looking at their numbers this season, Parker looks like the better player on paper. To be fair, I should really watch them both in action before I make a judgement—which I plan on doing. Thanks, this thread!

Giannis94
11-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Wiggins is like Glenn Rice and Parker is exactly like Danny Granger.

IKnowHoops
11-22-2016, 11:47 AM

Lol...I don't see it.

TheDish87
11-22-2016, 11:52 AM

sure about that?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Not even close.

mrblisterdundee
11-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Wiggins has proven himself better than Parker offensively this season, and has always been better defensively. He's more athletic and — so far — less injury prone.

GiantsSwaGG
11-22-2016, 03:25 PM

:facepalm: no.

Rain City
11-22-2016, 03:43 PM
wiggins.

i really like the strides both have made. if you look at wiggins numbers and defensive ability, the only thing that keeps him from being elite right now is playing on a losing team.

parker has closed the gap a lot.

neither is close to their ceiling. give em a couple years they will be making all nba teams.

shep33
11-22-2016, 04:30 PM
wiggins.

i really like the strides both have made. if you look at wiggins numbers and defensive ability, the only thing that keeps him from being elite right now is playing on a losing team.

parker has closed the gap a lot.

neither is close to their ceiling. give em a couple years they will be making all nba teams.

Yeah, as of now I'd take Wiggins, but the gap is definitely closing. Parker is so much more athletic than I ever thought. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if my opinion switched either in a couple years.

Miltstar
11-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Wiggins vs Giannis would be a better argument, Wiggins wins this one by a landslide

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Wiggins vs Giannis would be a better argument, Wiggins wins this one by a landslide

Not even close. Watch some Bucks games. Giannis just broke another NBA record with that triple double vs Magic couple days ago. Only two other players beside Giannis had triple double and 5 steals and 3 blocks. Which were Jordan and Hakeem. Only thing Wiggins has over Giannis is 3 ball and less turnovers %. But Giannis is dishing the ball way more. Nothing else. Only thing Wiggins has over Parker is 3% and blocks. All Wiggins has is ppg and 3% and minutes played. Also I'm sure Wiggins PPG dips since this is a small sample size for games. That 47 point game gave him a nice lead for a while. I know Giannis had a few 30 point games and was hovering around 25ppg for a while. Also for Wiggins being a beast for a defender where's his steals? I had to double check. Giannis and Parker top him in that category as well.

Player minutes fg% 3p% ft% reb ast blk stl to ppg
Giannis 35.1 .493 .167 .786 8.5 5.8 2.2 2.0 3.3 21.8
Wiggins 36.3 .461 .442 .740 4.4 2.2 0.6 0.4 2.8 24.8
Parker 33.0 .463 .385 .811 6.2 2.3 0.3 1.2 1.6 19.7

All in all, all great players though.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3032977/giannis-antetokounmpo

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3059319/andrew-wiggins

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3056600/jabari-parker

Giannis94
11-23-2016, 09:49 AM
:facepalm: no.

I mean I wasn't so sure on Wiggy but I thought Parker and granger was close? I don't really watch basketball outside of Giannis dominating the league until the Finals so....

Vampirate
11-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Wiggins needs to learn to pass more, like Derozan. Yes I just went there lol.

shep33
11-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Gimme Giannis over Wiggins any day

Giannis94
11-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Gimme Giannis over Wiggins any day

This hommie gets it.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Parker with his first single digit stinker game. But he did pass a lot once he got it. Did hit a 3 though.

Hawkeye15
11-28-2016, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't take one over the other as of now. Potential wise, it's Wiggins all day, every day. But he goes ghost at times, still hasn't realized any of his defensive "potential", still pulls out 0 rebound games, and right now, neither is set up for 2nd banana on a great team.

Yanks All Day
11-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Right now? The answer is Jabari Parker. But if you're asking which 21 year old I'd choose going forward based on potential (assuming they both realize full potential)? It's Andrew Wiggins.

As of now, Wiggins still hasn't scratched his NBA defensive surface, which is what most people argued would separate him from Parker. Coming out of the draft, Jabari was seen as the more polished pro prospect, while Wiggins was the hyper-athletic prospect that GMs drool over. Parker was the safer pick. Wiggins was the upside. Most GMs would take the player with the higher ceiling over the player with the higher floor.

So far, Parker is showing he's polished. He missed basically a year due to ACL problems, but has come back to post 18/6/2 on 45% from the field and 37% from 3. He's doing that as the clear-cut #2 option on his team behind Giannis, and realistically in a system where he's not the focus on most nights. Wiggins is the 1A or 1B option on Minnesota every night with KAT. He started the year shooting well from 3, but has come back down to Earth recently. Still, he's putting up 22/4/2 on 43% from the field and 39% from 3. But he is prone to more turnovers than Parker and has never been as efficient a scorer. The problem for me is that he hasn't really shown that defensive potential yet, which was supposed to separate them.

For now, I'd take Parker. You're getting roughly the same scoring (Wiggins scores 4 more points per game on 2.5 more shots), better rebounding, better assist-turnover numbers, better shooting, and (at this point) pretty much the same defense. Wiggins might well catch up offensively, and his defensive potential hasn't shown yet, so that could be a game changer. But as of now, Parker is the better player.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Parker was never known for defense. But actually been holding his own this season. Other then a couple lapses here and there. Also like ya said Parker missed a season and playing catch up and still going toe to toe with Wiggins.

LakerPride
12-02-2016, 03:15 AM
parker has a more reliable perimeter game..wiggins is more athletic... potential wise, wiggins has a much bigger upside... but, IMO, right now, id take parker.

Scoots
12-02-2016, 09:08 AM
I prefer Parker's mentality, Wiggins potential.

warfelg
12-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Why isn't the #3 pick from this draft included?

Wiggins and Parker are at the kids table, Embiid when out killed the Turkey, feathered it, stuffed it, cooked it, and carved it.

Giannis94
12-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Why isn't the #3 pick from this draft included?

Wiggins and Parker are at the kids table, Embiid when out killed the Turkey, feathered it, stuffed it, cooked it, and carved it.

because at the time of the draft it was never "Big 3" it was always "big 2" draft and both Wiggy and Parker play wing/sg/sf spots.

warfelg
12-02-2016, 01:00 PM
because at the time of the draft it was never "Big 3" it was always "big 2" draft and both Wiggy and Parker play wing/sg/sf spots.

You mis-remember history then. Before the foot, Embiid was 100% going #1. It was a 3 man draft.

Giannis94
12-02-2016, 01:02 PM
You mis-remember history then. Before the foot, Embiid was 100% going #1. It was a 3 man draft.

the months leading up to the draft it was down to the 2 players. Lets also keep in mind that the experts who had concerns were right about Embiid in the sense that he's already missed a 2 full years.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-02-2016, 10:51 PM
A little surprised LaVine and Wiggins are putting up close numbers. Makes you wonder if Wolves should prioritize LaVine over Wiggins.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2016, 12:37 PM

actually, it was stated at the time, if Embiid was healthy, he was the runaway #1 pick. Injury concerns are literally the only reason he fell.

warfelg
12-05-2016, 12:52 PM
actually, it was stated at the time, if Embiid was healthy, he was the runaway #1 pick. Injury concerns are literally the only reason he fell.

Exactly. If Embiid never got hurt the whole complexion of the league would be different. Maybe LeBron still goes back, but they might not trade for Love, Wiggins is in Philly, we might not draft Okafor, don't have Simmons. The ramifications of that injury altered the NBA.

tp13baby
12-05-2016, 01:11 PM

At the time meaning a week before the draft when it was known Embiid had to have surgery, yes you are right. But prior to that even with a bad back Embiid was still discussed going 1 and the draft was most certainly a big 3.

Yanks All Day
12-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Jabari Parker has played significantly better than the other two of late. It's crazy how athletic he actually is, which almost no one expected. He's starting to blossom.

Giannis94
12-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Jabari Parker has played significantly better than the other two of late. It's crazy how athletic he actually is, which almost no one expected. He's starting to blossom.

I think the better question is Kristapas or Jabari. Very comparable based on stats and roles on their respective teams. Also feel that both have yet to reach their true potentials.

warfelg
12-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Embiid is laughing at y'all. More than double the 20 point game of any other rookie.

Giannis94
12-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Embiid is laughing at y'all. More than double the 20 point game of any other rookie.

Going into the draft he was viewed as a massive lottery ticket because of injuries ajd those concerns have been proven right. Lets not kid ourselves here, he is good but I want to see a few seasons of productivity and full health.

If I am the Bucks I don't regret taking Jabari and wouldn't think about it if I had to do it again.

I get Embiid is special and the reason he was not taken earlier is because the teams oicking 1 and 2 couldn't afford to take the risks the 76ers could and because Jabari and Wiggy were widely viewed as the best 1/2 combo to come out in years.