PDA

View Full Version : ELI5: What does Austin Rivers do to warrant minutes?

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2016, 01:43 AM
ELI5: What does Austin Rivers do to warrant minutes?

He can't shoot. He can't rebound. Not much of a passer of defender,

WTF???

Miltstar
11-17-2016, 01:48 AM
You ever play with the coach's son in little league?

More-Than-Most
11-17-2016, 01:59 AM

pretty much this and its sad.... This **** stopped when I got to highschool though so its shocking to me that it is happening in the NBA.

Miltstar
11-17-2016, 02:03 AM
pretty much this and its sad.... This **** stopped when I got to highschool though so its shocking to me that it is happening in the NBA.

Ya, he really shouldn't be allowed to have his son on his team in the NBA... if he gets waived no one else is picking him up!

Vampirate
11-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Ya, he really shouldn't be allowed to have his son on his team in the NBA... if he gets waived no one else is picking him up!

Dion Waiters is still playing.

More-Than-Most
11-17-2016, 02:12 AM

and he is better than rivers... If that doesnt tell you something i am at a loss... Waiters brings something to the table... The worst part is as a man how can his son be alright with this... Id have tried to go a luke walton route and get into coaching or something.

Miltstar
11-17-2016, 02:14 AM

Waiters >>>>>>> Rivers

IndyRealist
11-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Comparing two dumpster fires doesn't change the fact that they're both trash.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-17-2016, 09:30 AM
ELI5: What does Austin Rivers do to warrant minutes?

He can't shoot. He can't rebound. Not much of a passer of defender,

WTF???

His old man is the reason.

Scoots
11-17-2016, 10:06 AM
I think the biggest part is Pops ... but what's frustrating about players like Rivers is he's not ALWAYS trash. He shows flashes of good defense, good shooting, good decision making. The problem is that like Waiters or Stephenson or many many other players, the bad outweighs the good over a season. If you're a dad maybe you see the good and just keep hoping that becomes more common and the bad less so.

If you've ever been a fan of a truly bad team you clutch on to the bright spots and think they can be fanned to make whatever player it is into a star ... and of course you are usually disappointed.

That said I can't really think of any player who was still so inconsistent in their 5th season ever turning it around and even a solid role player.

GiantsSwaGG
11-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Daddy

MJNetsIsles
11-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Austin Rivers is my least favorite player in the NBA.

I hate his father too. An overrated coach who only won a ring b/c 3 HOFers.

Green_Monster
11-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Waiters >>>>>>> Rivers

The gap is way closer than that. They're both bad though.

Chronz
11-17-2016, 11:55 AM
The team desperately wants him to do well. Alan Anderson should be getting his minutes with jc and felton handling the rock. I refused to go to the nets game cuz i knew I'd end up watching rivers foul up for 20minutes. Right now Wesley is hurt so they kind of need him but not as a key reserve.

What's hilarious is that he allegedly took a pay cut to stay here lol who would've been dumb enough for that? Idk but i wish he would've just left.

Last night dude wouldn't stop *****ing and threw up some of the ugliest shots.

It's really hard to have a negative +/- when your team is so good but he continues to find a way to suck the life out of a run. Really sucks to know your contending team could be better without him. At least give other guys a chance, how hard could it be to top his negative production?

KnicksorBust
11-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Yeah life must be so tough having the best record in the NBA. :laugh:

Scoots
11-17-2016, 12:27 PM

They know it's not going to last ... and Austin is going to be part of the problem.

KnicksorBust
11-17-2016, 12:35 PM
They know it's not going to last ... and Austin is going to be part of the problem.

Chris Paul is running a master class of PG play right now. Their entire starting 5 is fully healthy. But their 7th man isn't good. The Pelicans 3rd best player is some guy I hadn't even heard of until a week ago.

Hawkeye15
11-17-2016, 12:46 PM

bingo..

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Austin Rivers is my least favorite player in the NBA.

I hate his father too. An overrated coach who only won a ring b/c 3 HOFers.

4 HOFers.

Don't worry... Rondo will get in there. ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks all. I just felt like I was missing something here. I mean... the 'Daddy is the coach' is so transparent. I figured there must be some part of his game that I am just missing But guess not.

Chronz
11-17-2016, 03:12 PM
You're not getting it

Lemme put it this way. If we were the worst team in the league I would LOVE Austin

Chronz
11-17-2016, 03:13 PM
4 HOFers.

Don't worry... Rondo will get in there. ;-)
Doubt it

JAZZNC
11-17-2016, 05:28 PM
There are plenty of players that aren't good in the NBA. Pretty sure Trey Burke is still playing and that guy is hot garbage. Rivers isn't the only bad player that gets burn but his is the only one getting signed/coached by his dad.

IndyRealist
11-17-2016, 06:51 PM
There are plenty of players that aren't good in the NBA. Pretty sure Trey Burke is still playing and that guy is hot garbage. Rivers isn't the only bad player that gets burn but his is the only one getting signed/coached by his dad.

Trey Burke isn't on a 3yr, $35M guaranteed contract though.

FlashBolt
11-17-2016, 08:49 PM
It's probably a fact that Rivers only has a job here because of his father. What he has to do is very simple... start learning how to shoot threes. That's the only way to keep your job in the league today when you can't do anything else.

Scoots
11-17-2016, 11:17 PM
It's probably a fact that Rivers only has a job here because of his father. What he has to do is very simple... start learning how to shoot threes. That's the only way to keep your job in the league today when you can't do anything else.

It's funny that he can't learn to do anything with consistency ... he can make some 3s, make some good passes, defend decently ... he just can't do it often enough to be a decent player. I doubt he will find it "very simple" to suddenly find consistency where it has eluded him for years.