PDA

View Full Version : The and-1

TRIUMPHATOR
11-16-2016, 09:39 PM
After watching several games this year, I'm of the opinion the and 1 should be seriously looked into. It's being thrown around like gravy for stars and nothing for the average Joe. I know there have always been phantom calls, but this year just seems like officials just feel like giving stars a free ride at times. This is not fair to the guys that hustle and grind every night and get penalized for no particular reason and thier team gets penalized for not being the glamour team.

I think by eliminating it, it puts more pressure on the officials (which we can all agree have been far from good this year), to make the correct call immediately. And from a player perspective, there's no need to try and draw a foul on a jump shot....shoot it or don't. Trying to draw contact isn't really a skill deserves an extra point. Get the call great, 2 or 3 shots-depending where on the court. Don't get the call, so be it.

Is there any really good reason for extra points other than a flagrant?

ewing
11-16-2016, 09:52 PM
i've always thought the NBA gave way to many continuation calls. a guy hand checks a 20 feet, the offensive player picks up the ball, takes 3 steps and lays it in and gets an and 1

Scoots
11-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Similar kind of discussion here: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?916209-Defensive-man-in-the-air

The and-1 makes sense, but I agree it's thrown around far to cheaply now. They say you have started your shooting motion when you start bringing the ball to your other hand ... after which you can take 1 and a half steps before you jump to finally shoot the ball. If you foul someone anywhere in that process they can call it a shooting foul. I think the foul should only be an and-1 if it's after the jump.