PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson Pisses Off Lebron James

MJNetsIsles
11-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Apparently Phil Jackson was talking about Lebron James and offended Lebron by saying the word "Posse"

Lebron took offense to this, spun it into a spiel and said he has lost all respect for Phil Jackson.

Not good news for Knicks fans.

Lebron can opt out in 2018 and is a FA in 2019.

Will the two be able to patch things up before then, to give the Knicks a fair a chance as any, at signing the King?

Only time will tell.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18055626/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-slams-phil-jackson-referring-business-partners-posse

kdspurman
11-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Phil is being a condescending, this is nothing new from him.

Lebron took it to be a race issue, which I highly disagree with.

Should be a non-story honestly, but w/e

MJNetsIsles
11-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Phil is being a condescending, this is nothing new from him.

Lebron took it to be a race issue, which I highly disagree with.

Should be a non-story honestly, but w/e

For the record, I did not think what Phil said was race related either.

But after all Lebron did support Hillary Clinton, so it's no surprise that he can spin something as racist just for the attention.

R!kSm!tz
11-15-2016, 03:07 PM
Yea, of course it has to be turned into a race issue. This **** is getting so annoying. Not everything is about race and religion but people are so damn soft. You can say posse about any group of people.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2016, 03:09 PM
pos·se.

[ˈpäsē]

NOUN

US

historical

a body of men, typically armed, summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.

BRIT.

historical

the body of men in a county whom the sheriff could summon to enforce the law.

informal

a group of people who have a common characteristic, occupation, or purpose: "he pompously led around a posse of medical students"

synonyms: gang · band · group · crowd · pack · horde · herd ·
[more]

informal

a group of people who socialize together, especially to go to clubs or raves.

seems to fit fine. Chill LeBron...

SteBO
11-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Yeah as a black guy, I have little to no issue with PJ's use of the word "posse" in a racial sense. He was being condescending though....these guys (MC, Rich Paul) worked hard to get to where they got to, LBJ coattail riding or not.

LeBron is off base here imo.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-15-2016, 03:14 PM
...making something out of nothing.

GiantsSwaGG
11-15-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm black and the word is nowhere near offensive, LeBron is acting like a ***** as usual

KnicksorBust
11-15-2016, 03:32 PM

Yeah the LeBron was like "if you look it up..." I actually found the same definitions as you. A group of people who socialize together... sooo basically he was using slang for "friends." I'm surprised LeBron even made this an issue. LeBron talking about it added some fuel to the fire. It will be interesting to see if they go back and now tell Phil what he said and they continue to go back. My guess is Phil will just try and squash it by saying he didn't it to be offensive. Even the best basketball player in the world is too PC. He's got his antennas up right now that's for sure. You dip your foot in the political world for a hot minute and now he feels drenched.

DarkKnight
11-15-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm black and the word is nowhere near offensive, LeBron is acting like a ***** as usual

Ha ha I'm actually shocked at LBJs comments 😂

lakerfan85
11-15-2016, 03:43 PM
People are so sensitive nowadays..

MJNetsIsles
11-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Phil Jackson is right that's why Lebron is so mad. It has nothing to do with race.

Lebron jumped to the Heat, Wade and Bosh.

Then Lebron "returned home" only because they had Irving and a trade lined up for Kevin Love.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Lebron jumps to the Knicks after all of this drama is said and done.

Rose 🌹Melo, Porzingis.
Phil Jackson.

That's a dream scenario for him.

NYY 26 to 7
11-15-2016, 04:22 PM
This is one of the more bizarre stories that is blowing up. I echo the sentiment of most here that don't understand the racial connection. He may have been trying to be condescending as the tone of the discussion was about how Lebron needs special treatment, however, he was not identifying who (other than his mother) might have been with him. Frankly, he was talking about him staying back around his hometown presumably with his friends and family. It seems like he is just saying his entourage, posse, crew, or whatever term. If anything I would say the term is dated lol but not racist and yes I think he would say the same thing about a white player's collection of family/agents/friends. Seems like everything is offensive these days, but I don't understand this one and can't find any examples of this being a racist term.

Nycbball08
11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
People are so sensitive nowadays..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Qb-f_xpkI

DoMeFavors
11-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Im black, posse is not offensive. This entire thing is just stupid.

But the moment Phil leaves the Knicks he is going to lay loose on Carmelo.

nycericanguy
11-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Yea, of course it has to be turned into a race issue. This **** is getting so annoying. Not everything is about race and religion but people are so damn soft. You can say posse about any group of people.

part of the reason Trump is president...

You know I read about ivy league students who were excused from taking tests because they were too "upset" that Hillary lost...and the teachers OK'ed this! that's how crazy and soft this world is getting.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2016, 05:01 PM
part of the reason Trump is president...

You know I read about ivy league students who were excused from taking tests because they were too "upset" that Hillary lost...and the teachers OK'ed this! that's how crazy and soft this world is getting.

soon enough, our youth sports will have little "cry zones" where kids can go shed tears after they do something bad, like get called for double dribble.

NYY 26 to 7
11-15-2016, 05:22 PM
soon enough, our youth sports will have little "cry zones" where kids can go shed tears after they do something bad, like get called for double dribble.

You joke but it is basically already the case...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/10/07/volunteer-middle-school-football-coach-dismissed-for-making-boy-run-laps-after-he-bullied-teammate/

HandsOnTheWheel
11-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Lol.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2016, 05:44 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/10/07/volunteer-middle-school-football-coach-dismissed-for-making-boy-run-laps-after-he-bullied-teammate/

oh it's absolutely the case. We are raising a generation of youth that will need counseling when they don't get a promotion at work for example.

Many criticize the term "pussification", but it's as real as the sky.

nycericanguy
11-15-2016, 05:54 PM
oh it's absolutely the case. We are raising a generation of youth that will need counseling when they don't get a promotion at work for example.

agreed, i grew up in the hood, took my lumps, took my bruises... grew up and manned up.

Now kids get bullied and they go commit suicide... never heard of such a thing growing up.

No one even knows what racist really means anymore... racist has become anything that might possibly offend someone. Hey if I say black people like watermelon is that racist? Because I dont find it racist if someone says I like rice and beans because i'm hispanic!

No one is really offended by these things, it's just everyone feels like they are so important, they think we all need to see their meals on IG, and they think they need to stand up for something. This generation has it easy, they dont know what it really means to have to stand up and protest for something. What the Clinton supporters are doing is not protesting, what exactly are they protesting and to whom? What they are doing is throwing tantrums on the street because they didn't get their way.

and yet Trump was DESTROYED by the media for his comments about possibly not accepting the outcome, yet look who it is that is not accepting the outcome and the media is oh so quiet about that!

Why not protest about the media? They are the ones that IMO turned over the election to Trump with their oh so obvious bias toward Clinton. They proved Trump right all along.

anyway i went way OT there...lol

Hawkeye15
11-15-2016, 05:59 PM
agreed, i grew up in the hood, took my lumps, took my bruises... grew up and manned up.

Now kids get bullied and they go commit suicide... never heard of such a thing growing up.

No one even knows what racist really means anymore... racist has become anything that might possibly offend someone. Hey if I say black people like watermelon is that racist? Because I dont find it racist if someone says I like rice and beans because i'm hispanic!

No one is really offended by these things, it's just everyone feels like they are so important, they think we all need to see their meals on IG, and they think they need to stand up for something. This generation has it easy, they dont know what it really means to have to stand up and protest for something. What the Clinton supporters are doing is not protesting, what exactly are they protesting and to whom? What they are doing is throwing tantrums on the street because they didn't get their way.

and yet Trump was DESTROYED by the media for his comments about possibly not accepting the outcome, yet look who it is that is not accepting the outcome and the media is oh so quiet about that!

Why not protest about the media? They are the ones that IMO turned over the election to Trump with their oh so obvious bias toward Clinton. They proved Trump right all along.

anyway i went way OT there...lol

well, people have lost touch what what "racism" actually means. It's lost its meaning entirely in the modern world, simply being used as a card to pull when anything doesn't go a persons way and they want to through a tantrum about it.

NYKnickFanatic
11-15-2016, 06:45 PM
"Not good news for Knicks fans."

Lol, like LeBron was planning to come here.

NYKnickFanatic
11-15-2016, 06:48 PM

At my friends university, they are holding counseling for "anyone grieving the election."

Not even kidding.

Phantom Dreamer
11-15-2016, 06:53 PM

But after all Lebron did support Hillary Clinton, so it's no surprise that he can spin something as racist just for the attention.Hillary "super predators" Clinton. The Clintons are responsible as anyone for the United State's Prison Industrial Complex. LeBron is way off base here with the implication that Phil Jackson's racist.

mrblisterdundee
11-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Apparently Phil Jackson was talking about Lebron James and offended Lebron by saying the word "Posse"

Lebron took offense to this, spun it into a spiel and said he has lost all respect for Phil Jackson.

Will the two be able to patch things up before then, to give the Knicks a fair a chance as any, at signing the King?

Only time will tell.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18055626/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-slams-phil-jackson-referring-business-partners-posse

Unless Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony are all in already, the Knicks have no chance of signing LeBron James. That organization still has the stench of a trash fire, even if Kristaps Porzingis makes it a little rosier.

hugepatsfan
11-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Phil should take the time to consider why Lebron finds the word offensive and Lebron should take the time to consider the intent behind the word and really evaluate if he's projecting something that isn't there.

Vee-Rex
11-15-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm black. The term 'posse' doesn't offend me one bit. But it can if I notice it being used a lot when describing a group of black people.

Just like the term 'thug'. In and of itself it's not offensive at all. But when a bunch of white people use it while only referring to black people then it becomes offensive.

I disagree with LeBron's notion and think if he was offended he should've just kept the race out of it. However, it does make me wonder if Phil would've used the same word if LeBron was lily white and his entire crew were white businessmen. I doubt it, and perhaps that's what set LeBron off.

Crackadalic
11-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm black. The term 'posse' doesn't offend me one bit. But it can if I notice it being used a lot when describing a group of black people.

Just like the term 'thug'. In and of itself it's not offensive at all. But when a bunch of white people use it while only referring to black people then it becomes offensive.

I disagree with LeBron's notion and think if he was offended he should've just kept the race out of it. However, it does make me wonder if Phil would've used the same word if LeBron was lily white and his entire crew were white businessmen. I doubt it, and perhaps that's what set LeBron off.

The term thug I understand because experiencing it and seeing that term I can see how thug has racial undertones

Posse? Nope. I think lebron is upset for being called out as a diva by phil. Phil does have a habit of talking down on people in a certain way but no way is the word posse in anyway disrespectful in my books.

Lebron James hash tag is #lebrongang knowing gang is realted to a lot of things but posse is racist or disrespectful?

ewing
11-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Phil should take the time to consider why Lebron finds the word offensive and Lebron should take the time to consider the intent behind the word and really evaluate if he's projecting something that isn't there.

if im here and your here doesn't that it our time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7feIO2UF8HE

DaBear
11-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Phil is right, and LeBron is just being a softy as usual.

sep11ie
11-15-2016, 09:10 PM
LeBrona and Carmella are such *******

shep33
11-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Phil needs to choose better words. He's smarter than that. Or else he's high. Regardless, choose your words better.

mightybosstone
11-15-2016, 09:21 PM

Only time will tell.

Sorry, chief, but if you're insinuating that the Knicks have a chance in hell at Lebron James ever joining, I think you may be out of touch with reality. It's not happening. Ever. The guy will retire a Cavalier. And in the unlikely scenario that he were to ever jump ship, my guess is it would be to play for a title very late in his career, and I think the likelihood that the Knicks will be anywhere close to sniffing a championship in the next 5-10 years is pretty slim.

But after all Lebron did support Hillary Clinton, so it's no surprise that he can spin something as racist just for the attention.

What the hell does his support of Clinton have to do with anything? And why are you going out of your way to take unnecessary shots at Clinton? It's ignorant, completely off point and has absolutely nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

DaBear
11-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Phil needs to choose better words. He's smarter than that. Or else he's high. Regardless, choose your words better.

Seriously? What's offensive about posse? This PC **** is getting out of hand.

mightybosstone
11-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I didn't get it at first, but I was listening to sports talk radio in Houston on my way home from work. A well known black columnist in Houston explained that there is kind of a negative connotation with the word "posse" in relation to black athletes and said that it's demeaning because of all that those guys have accomplished as businessmen. And he made the point that if Tom Brady had a group of five or six guys traveling around with him, nobody would call them his "posse."

I do think that maybe Lebron and Melo are making a slightly bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. But maybe Phil just needs to be a little more careful with his phrasing moving forward if there's any kind of racial insensitivity that could be assumed from this words, intended or unintended.

NYKNYGNYY
11-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Man tryna make a mountain out a mole hill!

long ball
11-15-2016, 10:03 PM
I like lebron. I'm indifferent toward Phil.

I have no idea how the word posse had anything to do with lebron being black. I looked up the definition in several online dictionaries and urban dictionary and still have no idea what he's talking about.

GiantsSwaGG
11-15-2016, 10:12 PM

Phil didn't say anything wrong, LeBron is just a sensitive *****

shep33
11-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Phil didn't say anything wrong, LeBron is just a sensitive *****

First of all, Phil didn't need to say anything. Why does what LeBron does a priority to him? Fix your team Phil, Jesus.

I'm just saying, there are some people that will take that term to mean something else, and yes, it has some derogatory meanings when stated certain way (although I don't think Phil meant it). My point is, given the current situation of the country, with everyone on edge, just use better terms.

Vee-Rex
11-15-2016, 10:53 PM
I didn't get it at first, but I was listening to sports talk radio in Houston on my way home from work. A well known black columnist in Houston explained that there is kind of a negative connotation with the word "posse" in relation to black athletes and said that it's demeaning because of all that those guys have accomplished as businessmen. And he made the point that if Tom Brady had a group of five or six guys traveling around with him, nobody would call them his "posse."

I do think that maybe Lebron and Melo are making a slightly bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. But maybe Phil just needs to be a little more careful with his phrasing moving forward if there's any kind of racial insensitivity that could be assumed from this words, intended or unintended.

This guy gets it!

Posse, henchmen, hanger-ons, sidekicks, etc...

All have negative connotations especially if the 'posse' in question consider themselves as independent and successful businessmen.

Now, like you said - would Phil have ever used posse if referring to Tom Brady and his close crew? If not, then there's obviously racial undertones there.

HOWEVER, Bron and Melo are definitely making a bigger deal out of it than necessary. (i know I basically c/p what you said MBT, I just wanted to reiterate it)

nycericanguy
11-15-2016, 10:53 PM

I think we all should walk on eggshells just a little bit more...

*Silver&Black*
11-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Phil should apologize for grabbing Lebron by his posse.

MJNetsIsles
11-16-2016, 02:04 AM
It is not unlikely that Lebron would consider going to the Knicks and reviving that franchise. It is the ultimate challenge, to bring a title to Madison Square Garden? Forget about it. He would be a New York Legend.

MJNetsIsles
11-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Phil Jackson has had Kobe and Jordan.

It only makes sense he attempts to make it up to Lebron with a big contract with his name on it.

Eventually they'll kiss and make up.

ewing
11-16-2016, 07:45 AM
i think it is racist of LeBron to think white people cant have a posse.

GiantsSwaGG
11-16-2016, 08:54 AM
First of all, Phil didn't need to say anything. Why does what LeBron does a priority to him? Fix your team Phil, Jesus.

I'm just saying, there are some people that will take that term to mean something else, and yes, it has some derogatory meanings when stated certain way (although I don't think Phil meant it). My point is, given the current situation of the country, with everyone on edge, just use better terms.

The funny thing is the term "Posse" was used NUMEROUS of times referring to LeBron and his entourage even he days with the Heat but yet you take offense when Phil uses it? Lol plz I'm black and posse is NOWHERE near offensive not one bit. If he would of said "Homeboy" or "Gang" "Thugs" etc, then you have a point, but posse? Come one man lol.

As far as Phil even talking about LeBron, I agree but he was asked a question and he answered it. You out of all ppl should know how Phil is, he doesn't give a **** and will say whatever he wants!

LeBron is mad Phil exposed him for the type of person/player he is, the fact he had to go the race route is pathetic and a ***** move

IndyRealist
11-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Hillary "super predators" Clinton. The Clintons are responsible as anyone for the United State's Prison Industrial Complex. LeBron is way off base here with the implication that Phil Jackson's racist.

No, the Regeans are from the "war on drugs". The effects of the two policies on the prison system are not remotely comparable.

D-Leethal
11-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Phil should have never talked about this issue to begin with. That said, crying race here is so pathetic and just add to the PC culture that everyone is fed up with and just got Trump elected. I've probably heard of LeBron's crew referred to as a "posse" by dozens if not hundreds of analysts, reporters, sauces, players, GMs over the years. Nobody in their right mind would ever confuse Phil Jackson with a racist.

mightybosstone
11-16-2016, 09:34 AM
The funny thing is the term "Posse" was used NUMEROUS of times referring to LeBron and his entourage even he days with the Heat but yet you take offense when Phil uses it? Lol plz I'm black and posse is NOWHERE near offensive not one bit. If he would of said "Homeboy" or "Gang" "Thugs" etc, then you have a point, but posse? Come one man lol.

As far as Phil even talking about LeBron, I agree but he was asked a question and he answered it. You out of all ppl should know how Phil is, he doesn't give a **** and will say whatever he wants!

LeBron is mad Phil exposed him for the type of person/player he is, the fact he had to go the race route is pathetic and a ***** move

Jesus. Why does everything have to be so black and white on PSD? It's either the worst thing ever or doesn't mean anything whatsoever. Can't we all just agree that when it comes to race relations, there are some gray areas where some people might take offense and others might not? And why does Lebron taking offense to something like this necessarily have to condemn him as "pathetic?"

It's the ****ing United States of Amercia, dude. Phil has the right to say whatever he wants, and Lebron can get offended if there's any kind of negative interpretation that could be implied from what Phil said. Does either person deserve a ton of negative backlash for this? No. But leave it to PSD to turn this into another anti-Lebron **** show.

mightybosstone
11-16-2016, 09:42 AM
This guy gets it!

Posse, henchmen, hanger-ons, sidekicks, etc...

All have negative connotations especially if the 'posse' in question consider themselves as independent and successful businessmen.

Now, like you said - would Phil have ever used posse if referring to Tom Brady and his close crew? If not, then there's obviously racial undertones there.

HOWEVER, Bron and Melo are definitely making a bigger deal out of it than necessary. (i know I basically c/p what you said MBT, I just wanted to reiterate it)
Yeah, I mean, I never would have expected there to be any negative connotation to the word, but when I heard the guy explain it yesterday, it made total sense. I can get why Lebron and his friends could take some offense to it.

I think we all should walk on eggshells just a little bit more...
I'm not saying we should all walk around on eggshells, man. But if you're in front of the media all the time and you're talking about arguably the most popular superstar in all of professional sports, you either need to watch your words carefully or expect to receive a little negative backlash for little things like this. Sports media are looking for little molehills like this to turn into mountains, and this isn't Phil's first rodeo. The guy should be used to it by know.

ewing
11-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Jesus. Why does everything have to be so black and white on PSD? It's either the worst thing ever or doesn't mean anything whatsoever. Can't we all just agree that when it comes to race relations, there are some gray areas where some people might take offense and others might not? And why does Lebron taking offense to something like this necessarily have to condemn him as "pathetic?"

It's the ****ing United States of Amercia, dude. Phil has the right to say whatever he wants, and Lebron can get offended if there's any kind of negative interpretation that could be implied from what Phil said. Does either person deserve a ton of negative backlash for this? No. But leave it to PSD to turn this into another anti-Lebron **** show.

It's my right to think lebron is a *****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
11-16-2016, 10:06 AM
[emoji631]

mightybosstone
11-16-2016, 10:07 AM
It's my right to think lebron is a *****

You certainly can. I don't understand why, and I think that if this is your justification for doing so, that you're totally misguided and really just looking for an excuse to dislike the guy. But hey, it's your prerogative to hate someone if you want to, whether it's justifiable or not. :hi5:

D-Leethal
11-16-2016, 10:09 AM
You certainly can. I don't understand why, and I think that if this is your justification for doing so, that you're totally misguided and really just looking for an excuse to dislike the guy. But hey, it's your prerogative to hate someone if you want to, whether it's justifiable or not. :hi5:

You can think someone is a ***** without hating them.

cmellofan15
11-16-2016, 10:23 AM
lmao quick everyone tell lebron how to feel!

mightybosstone
11-16-2016, 10:25 AM
You can think someone is a ***** without hating them.
Mmm... I think you're just arguing semantics here, chief. To think someone is a ***** is a pretty derogatory thing to think about someone. I can't think of a lot of people who I think are *****es who I don't dislike.

ewing
11-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Why's it got to be so black and white with you?

ewing
11-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Seriously I think being butthurt over the word posse is a good reason to think he is a *****

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Nothing to see here.

Chronz
11-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Funny, always thought the word posse had more to do (origins wise)with mobsters or those who fight the mob or something.

LeBron can cry about whatever he wants but when he defends it by feigning racism or literal logic, maybe he should read the definition. Wat Carter posted on his twit didn't come off as professional if that's the worry he has

Chronz
11-16-2016, 11:24 AM
i think it is racist of LeBron to think white people cant have a posse.

Lol

Love when people reverse racism

Vee-Rex
11-16-2016, 11:31 AM
I get if people simply disagree with how LeBron received it and overreacted. I do too. The possible and perhaps unlikely racial undertones aren't worth mentioning at all since they require a hypothetical situation in which Phil would not call a white superstar's associates a posse. LeBron should've just shrugged it off.

But I do find it a little disturbing that people aren't able to comprehend how the word 'posse' can have a negative connotation to it. Like, there's an invisible wall there that blocks any possible understanding on how 'LeBron's posse' could be insulting to guys who consider themselves individualized businessmen (and to LeBron who respects those guys as such).

Giving literal definitions of posse is pretty meaningless in this situation.

bofakop
11-16-2016, 12:08 PM
I get if people simply disagree with how LeBron received it and overreacted. I do too. The possible and perhaps unlikely racial undertones aren't worth mentioning at all since they require a hypothetical situation in which Phil would not call a white superstar's associates a posse. LeBron should've just shrugged it off.

But I do find it a little disturbing that people aren't able to comprehend how the word 'posse' can have a negative connotation to it. Like, there's an invisible wall there that blocks any possible understanding on how 'LeBron's posse' could be insulting to guys who consider themselves individualized businessmen (and to LeBron who respects those guys as such).

Then Lebron should of said that.. But instead decided to jump right to the Race Card... that is on Him.

Personally, I am glad he is starting to get some backlash from it(not in Media of course) - at some point people need to start realizing everything is Not about Race... sometimes there are other issues and reasons for things going one way or the other.

ewing
11-16-2016, 12:14 PM

Successful or not when you are with a bunch of guys that are with LeBron you are in LeBron's crew. He is the Sun and you are part of his crew.

GiantsSwaGG
11-16-2016, 12:15 PM
So should we stop using the word "Gang" too?

ewing
11-16-2016, 12:18 PM
So should stop using the word "Gang" too?

we should say "look at those individual business men"

Vee-Rex
11-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Then Lebron should of said that.. But instead decided to jump right to the Race Card... that is on Him.

Personally, I am glad he is starting to get some backlash from it(not in Media of course) - at some point people need to start realizing everything is Not about Race... sometimes there are other issues and reasons for things going one way or the other.

I'm with you on that.

Also I get the feeling Melo piped in only to take a shot at Phil. He seems to be pretty discontent with the way Phil is running things in New York.

bofakop
11-16-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm with you on that.

Also I get the feeling Melo piped in only to take a shot at Phil. He seems to be pretty discontent with the way Phil is running things in New York.

as usual nobody seems to know whats going on in NY lol

I also think people would understand if Lebron had just stopped at I think Phil was condescending using the word "Posse" and I have lost respect for him.

GiantsSwaGG
11-16-2016, 12:31 PM
I wonder if LeBron has a problem with Clarence Gaines foundation

https://www.possefoundation.org

Vee-Rex
11-16-2016, 12:48 PM
as usual nobody seems to know whats going on in NY lol

I also think people would understand if Lebron had just stopped at I think Phil was condescending using the word "Posse" and I have lost respect for him.

So you don't think Melo is unhappy with Phil's direction? Feel free to explain.

L8kers4life
11-16-2016, 12:49 PM
I try not to get to annoyed with LeBron, but he has said and done so many things over his career, that it is hard not to think he is a big time tool. There is nothing about the word posse that is racist.

LeBron really wants to be recognized as a smart person, but 70% of the things he says or Does are pretty stupid.

A few examples

Not 1, not 2, not 3
Take my talents to Miami
Alienating K Love every chance he gets.
Stupid fake camera pics with his team
Dumb handshakes
Throwing Chalk in the Air
This Phil Jackson thing

LeBron gets a pass for everything, not only has LeBron got a pass for his ignorance on this matter, stupid Espn is siding with him and ripping Phil, what a joke.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Phil probably should of use the word "entourage" instead of "posse".

L8kers4life
11-16-2016, 12:55 PM
LeBron would been offended by "entourage" as well.

ewing
11-16-2016, 01:04 PM
They're individual business men!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kdspurman
11-16-2016, 01:06 PM

bofakop
11-16-2016, 01:08 PM
So you don't think Melo is unhappy with Phil's direction? Feel free to explain.

Lol no not directed at you or anyone I was saying nobody as in none of us... Knicks as usual are a Mess.

Myself, Melo is a big part of the problem with the Knicks.. he either can no longer play the 3 on D or is too lazy to do it..immediately switches which causes problems for entire D. He needs to play Power forward.

Chronz
11-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Not only that, couldn't the context have been that he was summarizing what he overheard from or about Pat Riley? Either way, it's such a small slight that bron looks overly sensitive here. Doubt he cares but how these guys defend their emotions are lol worthy. Dudes have literally posted definitions or told us to look it up. If you want to be offended by something so subjective to any ethnicity then just stick to your own personal feelings.

Chronz
11-16-2016, 01:25 PM
But he DID apologize. I don't think Phil has to.

Or is the point that you shouldn't lose respect so easily?

kdspurman
11-16-2016, 01:28 PM
But he DID apologize. I don't think Phil has to.

Or is the point that you shouldn't lose respect so easily?

The 2nd one, about losing respect so easily..

I don't think Phil has to apologize either. I think it's just something that's been overblown big time.

R. Johnson#3
11-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Melo put it best when he asked why Phil is even talking about Lebron.

kdspurman
11-16-2016, 01:40 PM

It was the flow of the interview, I personally don't see the big deal about it. The interviewer brought up Lebron anyway

Chronz
11-16-2016, 01:43 PM
LeBron would been offended by "entourage" as well.
Yeah but at least he wouldn't have brought race into it. He would've had to decide if he should share such an insecurity without the security blanket that is racism.

I really don't know when posse became a racial slur of some kind but they need to stop telling people to look it up, its not even on urban dictionary or the real dictionary, what exactly am i looking up? Why does melo say you don't have to be educated to understand. Why are they projecting their own subjective beliefs?

Chronz
11-16-2016, 01:44 PM
That's just as dumb imo.

MJNetsIsles
11-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Lebron James is a b****

That's why he supported Hillary Clinton.
That's why he joined Wade and Irving's team.

kdspurman
11-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Lebron James is a b****

That's why he supported Hillary Clinton.
That's why he joined Wade and Irving's team.

Let's chill with bringing politics in here man. It can derail a discussion quickly

aman_13
11-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Definitely condescending but not racial in the slightest. Perfect example of political correctness going too far.

Nycbball08
11-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Lebron and his posse owes Phil an apology for over reacting,,

uprightciti
11-17-2016, 03:55 AM
This was a way to get an emotional charge for Melo to request a trade to the only team that would consider taking him so that he can finally win a ring. As a die hard Knicks fan I am ok with this 100% let Melo go get his Ring with Shump, JR and Lebron. and let's rebuild with who ever we get in return get a high lottery pick, let Rose walk or resign him super cheap and build around KP and co

GoferKing_
11-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Definitely condescending but not racial in the slightest. Perfect example of political correctness going too far.
:clap:

t_money25
11-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Once again another unwarranted Lebron hate thread on PSD. Why am I not surprised.

The problem with today's society is everyone has to voice their opinion. Sometimes it's smart to just keep it to yourself to avoid offending people whom you may not understand why they are offended.

Phil should focus more on the Knicks than sharing his personal Lebron information with the media.

Shawn2timer
11-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Johnson said “Phil Jackson made one small mistake by using the word posse.” He later added: “I know Phil Jackson, he’s a good man. I don’t think he meant to disrespect LeBron James and his team.”

This is what upsets me, and I think it makes people even more defensive. Like he 100% was being disrespectful. Why hide that? So what? This is the sports entertainment business is it not? He was calling him immature and a prima donna and falling just short of calling him a little b****. I think Lebron was much more disrespectful in his overbloated reaction basically painting him PJ as a racist in the whole media almost immediately.

You know what I didn't hear? Anyone saying it was untrue, they just deaded the whole thing by deflecting to the racism card. This is not news to anyone, Phil just put it out there. This guys wants to create his highschool atmosphere wherever he goes. He wants to play with his buddies, and feel good, and he wants Kevin Love to take group pictures with the team. Such a far cry from previous league top dogs. Even Curry is such a herb. Westbrook is a descendant of Kobe & Jordan.

Last thing, Mav Carter needs to relax and sit down. Its like E from entourage complaining about being called a pizza boy. Sure, you've proven yourself smart and capable along the way. I get it hurts your feelings, but its true dawg. Dude got his start at Nike in '03... Definition of tagging along for the ride

Shawn2timer
11-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Once again another unwarranted Lebron hate thread on PSD. Why am I not surprised.

The problem with today's society is everyone has to voice their opinion. Sometimes it's smart to just keep it to yourself to avoid offending people whom you may not understand why they are offended.

Phil should focus more on the Knicks than sharing his personal Lebron information with the media.

I know right. He should've just answered every question that way during the interview. "Can't answer that, I'm focusing on the Knicks. This is not a game or anything, this is serious business, must focus on not offending anyone. Did I mention I can't stay long, focusing on the Knicks sorry. Focus police is out in full force, bye."

FlashBolt
11-17-2016, 08:41 PM
I think you guys should refer to the 2004 article as to what Phil really thinks of those around James. When you consider that Phil is as blunt as can be, you'll see a pattern of clear disrespect from him at many cases. I don't think anyone called Phil a racist but what I do think is he shouldn't have said anything at all. Not to mention his scenario with LeBron wanting to stay in Akron was uncalled for considering they said he wanted to have Thanksgiving at his place instead of a hotel dining hall but the fact that he never said anything when Jordan went gambling and all that stuff. Phil needs to worry about the Knicks. The only good thing they have going for them is Porzingis.. and that's really it.

FlashBolt
11-17-2016, 08:43 PM

Is that when he used it to refer to a question? Idk, that has more to do with the idea of something rather than labeling someone ********. He's said some questionable things but his track record of public service far outweighs any of that. Plus, Phil never apologized.

C-ross12
11-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Soft. This is coming from someone who overall respects LeBrons character as well. Giving scholarships to Cleveland area kids and telling college recruiters to piss off on recruiting his kids were both noble actions. All you need to do is look up the definition of the word "posse" to see it has zero relation to race. The poster who said that Racism doesn't mean what it use to is spot on. Overly sensitive.

t_money25
11-17-2016, 10:48 PM
I know right. He should've just answered every question that way during the interview. "Can't answer that, I'm focusing on the Knicks. This is not a game or anything, this is serious business, must focus on not offending anyone. Did I mention I can't stay long, focusing on the Knicks sorry. Focus police is out in full force, bye."

Yup your absolutely correct. Maybe if he did focus more on the Knicks instead of other teams and players things would be much better in New York. Thanks for using horrible sarcasm to make my point for me :hi5:

t_money25
11-17-2016, 10:52 PM
I think you guys should refer to the 2004 article as to what Phil really thinks of those around James. When you consider that Phil is as blunt as can be, you'll see a pattern of clear disrespect from him at many cases. I don't think anyone called Phil a racist but what I do think is he shouldn't have said anything at all. Not to mention his scenario was ith LeBron wanting to stay in Akron was uncalled for considering they said he wanted to have Thanksgiving at his place instead of a hotel dining hall but the fact that he never said anything when Jordan went gambling and all that stuff. Phil needs to worry about the Knicks. The only good thing they have going for them is Porzingis.. and that's really it.

They don't wanna hear those facts. This isn't the first time Phil has said this about Lebron

Chronz
11-17-2016, 11:19 PM
I get the possible negative connotation but what if the context was that it should have been? His story was that they were holding up the TEAM and whatnot. Thats not very professional so why should he respect it? I honestly wouldn't care but its his right to an opinion.

FlashBolt
11-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Soft. This is coming from someone who overall respects LeBrons character as well. Giving scholarships to Cleveland area kids and telling college recruiters to piss off on recruiting his kids were both noble actions. All you need to do is look up the definition of the word "posse" to see it has zero relation to race. The poster who said that Racism doesn't mean what it use to is spot on. Overly sensitive.

Okay but you need to also consider the perspective and context of that word. Posse isn't a word you use in a professional setting and when you consider that in 2004, Phil used that same word to refer to as LeBron's group of people who are "not capable of being mature and self-sufficient", it becomes painfully obvious that Phil is at wrong here. And this has nothing to do with race but moreso disrespect. And there is a totally different set of language than what you see in a dictionary. Do you think Phil calls James Dolan and MSG executives a posse?

Raps18-19 Champ
11-17-2016, 11:32 PM
I think trying to make it a big race issue is kinda dumb. But I will say that if you had a bunch of white people, I don't believe for a second Phil would call them a "posse".

D-Leethal
11-18-2016, 12:25 AM
I don't think anyone has had their crew referred to as a posse by press, pundits, talking heads more than good ol' southern white boy Johnny Manziell. There is no race connotation to posse. If you roll around with a large crew all the time you are going to have them referred to as a posse.

D-Leethal
11-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Now, if you want to say that LeBron's crew are distinguished businessmen I get that. Manziell's posse are druggies and party animals. But race has nothing to do with it.

t_money25
11-18-2016, 02:00 AM
I agree this isn't about race it's more about Phil being condescending. But I understand why someone of color would take it as a racial issue.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-18-2016, 02:19 AM
This thread is still open?

There's really nothing to see here, it's getting childish/primitive at this point.

Sadds The Gr8
11-18-2016, 05:33 AM
not a race issue imo, but he was definitely firing a shot and trying to be disrespectful

More-Than-Most
11-18-2016, 05:53 AM
Jackson meant nothing by it just stop. Lebron just being a ***** really... The everything is racism card gets ****ing old.

Kyben36
11-19-2016, 01:28 AM
Am I the only one confused by LeBron distain for the word posse. I mean. I never thought of it at all as derogatory. I get that Phil was being condecending with his remarks but am I missing something.

Kyben36
11-19-2016, 01:36 AM
I think trying to make it a big race issue is kinda dumb. But I will say that if you had a bunch of white people, I don't believe for a second Phil would call them a "posse".

I know this is a little off topic but posse is used very often in music genre to refer to people who hang out and follow around the band. So your it doesn't happen in white culture is not true. In fact. I can't think of a better word to describe guys like Chris Anderson and James Jones. Both who have followed LeBron from one team to another.???? Much like a posse for a band would follow them on tour

Im not arguing Phil's statement was not derogatory. But I'm questioning the race card being played

SiteWolf
11-21-2016, 09:32 AM
When a group of good guys got together to go after bad guys in the old west there was nothing disrespectful about calling them a posse then...and there isn't now.

kdspurman
11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Is that when he used it to refer to a question? Idk, that has more to do with the idea of something rather than labeling someone ********. He's said some questionable things but his track record of public service far outweighs any of that. Plus, Phil never apologized.

The term ******** is often deemed derogatory, so the context doesn't really matter.

Phil was being condescending, but nothing to do with race. I don't think he owes an apology. I think LeBron needs thicker skin

Captain Moroni
11-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Entourage

Jeffy25
11-22-2016, 01:50 AM

Exactly

And of all the people to play the race card on in the NBA.....Phil Jackson? Come on

Jeffy25
11-22-2016, 01:59 AM

They are so twisted that they don't even know which direction is up any longer.

Bullying is bad.....but not worse than making a kid run for an athletic purpose.

Jeffy25
11-22-2016, 02:35 AM
well, people have lost touch what what "racism" actually means. It's lost its meaning entirely in the modern world, simply being used as a card to pull when anything doesn't go a persons way and they want to through a tantrum about it.

And there are never any repercussions for such slander, or needed accountability for saying something is racist, even if it isn't.

Jeffy25
11-22-2016, 10:37 AM

I would

But the word I would more likely use for both LeBron and Brady's group of friends would be entourage.

I don't see any racial undertone to either word....at all. I think a posse can be a group of any race of people who travel and hang together on a regular basis.

It literally reminds me of the show 'Entourage' from HBO. Where the celebrity is basically useless without his group of friends. That's Vincent's posse.

I'm also white....so it could be lost on me. But I don't think of the word as racially charged. I would use it to describe a group of white guys.

BDawk4Prez
11-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Lebron is such a toolbag.