PDA

View Full Version : NBA Officiating at its worst already this season?

latinofire21
11-12-2016, 11:30 AM
PSD community,

I know we all complain here and there about officiating it comes with the territory of being a fan but does anyone else see the lack of good officiating to start the season? Do you think its time to get rid of these old guys and get some fresh eyes in the game?

I am not a 76ers fan but I admit they are a fun team to watch and I see them get shafted repeatedly on calls down the stretch. The Knicks game last night vs the Celtics. 48 free throws to 17. Melo ejected in the 2nd quarter because Toni Brothers didn't have his daily dose of prune juice before the game alarms me.

I think its time the NBA force retirement on some of these refs. They aren't keeping up with the game and in turn they are going to start hurting ratings when fans begin to think their teams aren't worth watching because of referee vendettas.

The biggest problem with the league in my opinion is officiating. When fans know the names of the referees and are hoping they aren't calling the game against their own team its a problem. I don't see that issue in other sports worlds outside of baseball where the referees have name recognition. Referees shouldn't have name recognition if they are doing a fair balanced job across the board.

Pfeifer
11-12-2016, 12:35 PM
This is old news.

AI
11-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Last nights Knicks vs Celtics game was easily the worst and most one-sided officiated game I've ever seen.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
The Knicks got outplayed and the Celtics were without two top 4 players. Of course you'll point to the refs even though the Celtics attacked the basket a lot more while the Knicks settled for jump shots all day.

The Celtics won by 28... that's not on the refs.

GiantsSwaGG
11-12-2016, 01:24 PM
The Knicks got outplayed and the Celtics were without two top 4 players. Of course you'll point to the refs even though the Celtics attacked the basket a lot more while the Knicks settled for jump shots all day.

I usually don't blame the refs and the Knicks would lost anyway but that was one of the worst officiated games I've watched

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 01:33 PM
I usually don't blame the refs and the Knicks would lost anyway but that was one of the worst officiated games I've watched

Maybe I wasn't watching close enough. Missed the first quarter but caught most of the rest of the game.

The Knicks had 10 more turnovers, shot 26% from three compared to the Celtics shooting 40% from three.

There were bad calls all around. More for the Knicks? Sure. I'm actually shocked that so many people are saying it's one of the worst officiated games they've seen though. The Knicks shot a lot of jump shots, you can't expect to get to the line that way.

AI
11-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Maybe I wasn't watching close enough. Missed the first quarter but caught most of the rest of the game.

The Knicks had 10 more turnovers, shot 26% from three compared to the Celtics shooting 40% from three.

There were bad calls all around. More for the Knicks? Sure. I'm actually shocked that so many people are saying it's one of the worst officiated games they've seen though. The Knicks shot a lot of jump shots, you can't expect to get to the line that way.

I never blamed the refs for the Knicks losing. I simply made a comment based on an observation that anybody who actually saw the complete game can agree with. Knicks struggled offensively, cool, but the Celtics had already surpassed their season average of FTA's by the end of the first half. Don't care how "aggressive" you think they were, the officiating was horrible and if their is a chance that they replay the game, I encourage you to watch it without bias. I don't mind bad officiating, as long as it's consistent for both sides. Seemed like yesterday, the game was being called a certain way for Boston and a completely different way for the Knicks.

I'm a Knicks fan and I can assure you that I'm being unbiased when making this claim... The refs were absolute crap. It was quite easily the worst game I have ever watched and I've seen a few before.

dhopisthename
11-12-2016, 01:52 PM
I think reffing is the same as its ever been, but with Youtube, online streaming services, HD tv's, and twitter people just perceive reffing to be worse.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 01:58 PM
I never blamed the refs for the Knicks losing. I simply made a comment based on an observation that anybody who actually saw the complete game can agree with. Knicks struggled offensively, cool, but the Celtics had already surpassed their season average of FTA's by the end of the first half. Don't care how "aggressive" you think they were, the officiating was horrible and if their is a chance that they replay the game, I encourage you to watch it without bias. I don't mind bad officiating, as long as it's consistent for both sides. Seemed like yesterday, the game was being called a certain way for Boston and a completely different way for the Knicks.

I'm a Knicks fan and I can assure you that I'm being unbiased when making this claim... The refs were absolute crap. It was quite easily the worst game I have ever watched and I've seen a few before.

1. I didn't even see your post before I posted.

2. Brad Stevens basically called the Celtics soft recently. It's not surprising that they were much more aggressive when attacking and got to the line a lot more than they had this year. Anyone who's watched all of their games this year could see the difference last night.

3. The Knicks shot a lot of jump shots. How are you expecting them to get to the line?

4. You can't call me biased and then say you aren't.

GiantsSwaGG
11-12-2016, 02:23 PM

The knicks would of lost anyway imo but the officiating was beyond bad. They missed calls both ways (more on the Knicks) but both ways. Either way the refs weren't the reason we lost but it was still bad officiating

latinofire21
11-12-2016, 02:34 PM
1. I didn't even see your post before I posted.

2. Brad Stevens basically called the Celtics soft recently. It's not surprising that they were much more aggressive when attacking and got to the line a lot more than they had this year. Anyone who's watched all of their games this year could see the difference last night.

3. The Knicks shot a lot of jump shots. How are you expecting them to get to the line?

4. You can't call me biased and then say you aren't.

I don't think the Knicks played well at all last night but its really hard to judge that when your star player is tossed with 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. I really like Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley but if the strict ticky tack fouls that were called on the knicks were evenly called on Boston both of them would have been in foul trouble like KP by the end of the first quarter.

The steal at halfcourt that lead to an easy basket for Isiah Thomas who was basket hanging was a perfect example. If you don't give the player a step to land before you make your play on the ball whether it be taking position to draw a foul or to go for a steal its a blocking foul. The replay showed Bradley literally clipping Rose at half court getting the steal with Rose falling down and awarding them a transition basket instead of the foul. There was more contact in all those plays then Hernangomez Brandon Jennings and KPs fouls combined. Again a no call for the "aggressive" Celtics but an automatic foul for the Knicks. Anyway you slice it Melo should have kept quiet after the first tech but the Refs got T happy and tossed him anyway. You cant justify a win like that with jump shots when all the calls are going in one direction. Why drive if you don't get the call at the rim? How can you play defense on a team that is getting every call at the rim? Turnovers were high but how many of those plays were a turnover based on a foul like the one said above that was a simple no call. Does a lot mentally to you when you feel the referees are wearing the opposing jersey. If it was just an observation by Knicks fans and we are making this overblown then why is there an article with this referee defending his actions against Carmelo and the whole team afraid to say anything about the officiating? These refs got to go and its time for some new college refs to join the NBA ranks.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 02:46 PM
The knicks would of lost anyway imo but the officiating was beyond bad. They missed calls both ways (more on the Knicks) but both ways. Either way the refs weren't the reason we lost but it was still bad officiating

I agree with this.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 02:53 PM
I don't think the Knicks played well at all last night but its really hard to judge that when your star player is tossed with 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. I really like Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley but if the strict ticky tack fouls that were called on the knicks were evenly called on Boston both of them would have been in foul trouble like KP by the end of the first quarter.

The steal at halfcourt that lead to an easy basket for Isiah Thomas who was basket hanging was a perfect example. If you don't give the player a step to land before you make your play on the ball whether it be taking position to draw a foul or to go for a steal its a blocking foul. The replay showed Bradley literally clipping Rose at half court getting the steal with Rose falling down and awarding them a transition basket instead of the foul. There was more contact in all those plays then Hernangomez Brandon Jennings and KPs fouls combined. Again a no call for the "aggressive" Celtics but an automatic foul for the Knicks. Anyway you slice it Melo should have kept quiet after the first tech but the Refs got T happy and tossed him anyway. You cant justify a win like that with jump shots when all the calls are going in one direction. Why drive if you don't get the call at the rim? How can you play defense on a team that is getting every call at the rim? Turnovers were high but how many of those plays were a turnover based on a foul like the one said above that was a simple no call. Does a lot mentally to you when you feel the referees are wearing the opposing jersey. If it was just an observation by Knicks fans and we are making this overblown then why is there an article with this referee defending his actions against Carmelo and the whole team afraid to say anything about the officiating? These refs got to go and its time for some new college refs to join the NBA ranks.

I know the exact play you're talking about. It's at about 1:45 in the following video. If you think it's a foul than it's easy to see why you're so upset with this game. https://youtu.be/OTh8KQ6T-EA

Crackadalic
11-12-2016, 03:03 PM
No one is saying we lost because of the refs. I'm tired of people saying that. We would have lost anyway because this team is still trying to figure what they want to be.

My beef is tony brothers and that horrible officiating last night. As someone who watch 70 games a year of knick basketball and a hell of a lot of NBA games he and his crew should be ashamed of themselves for that game. Never felt so angry about a Knicks game in all my years of watching these primdonna Knicks.

When you allow Marcus smarts to get away with four loose ball fouls and not call any of them I knew last night we had no shot in making this a game.

latinofire21
11-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks for putting the video in there. Definitely clean with the hands but the body clip is the problem I have with it. It's a foul. The Knicks had many calls with a lot less contact that the Celtics were awarded free throw shots. I just hope the next time around it's not the same crew.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 03:07 PM
No one is saying we lost because of the refs. I'm tired of people saying that. We would have lost anyway because this team is still trying to figure what they want to be.

My beef is tony brothers and that horrible officiating last night. As someone who watch 70 games a year of knick basketball and a hell of a lot of NBA games he and his crew should be ashamed of themselves for that game. Never felt so angry about a Knicks game in all my years of watching these primdonna Knicks.

When you allow Marcus smarts to get away with four loose ball fouls and not call any of them I knew last night we had no shot in making this a game.

You know exactly what you're trying to say.

Thanks for putting the video in there. Definitely clean with the hands but the body clip is the problem I have with it. It's a foul. The Knicks had many calls with a lot less contact that the Celtics were awarded free throw shots. I just hope the next time around it's not the same crew.

It's just not a foul man. Never gets called and never will. It's a clean play on a ball off of a bad pass.

Crackadalic
11-12-2016, 03:14 PM
You know exactly what you're trying to say.

It's just not a foul man. Never gets called and never will. It's a clean play on a ball off of a bad pass.

Every time we got close or gain momentum you guys we get some really petty calls. I know the Knicks foul a lot and I bash them in that Utah game but you can't be a real NBA fan and not see that I'm sorry. The fact I'm upset at game 8 of a regular season game should mean something and stop being a homer just because you guys won. Hell the with it smoking rose I knew it be a long night anyway but last night wasn't a fun night to watch a basketball game and if you say other wise your a homer.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Every time we got close or gain momentum you guys we get some really petty calls. I know the Knicks foul a lot and I bash them in that Utah game but you can't be a real NBA fan and not see that I'm sorry. The fact I'm upset at game 8 of a regular season game should mean something and stop being a homer just because you guys won. Hell the with it smoking rose I knew it be a long night anyway but last night wasn't a fun night to watch a basketball game and if you say other wise your a homer.

Why would my team winning not be fun for me? The refs could've called a perfect game and the Celtics would've won. I had fun.

More-Than-Most
11-12-2016, 06:54 PM
PSD community,

I know we all complain here and there about officiating it comes with the territory of being a fan but does anyone else see the lack of good officiating to start the season? Do you think its time to get rid of these old guys and get some fresh eyes in the game?

I am not a 76ers fan but I admit they are a fun team to watch and I see them get shafted repeatedly on calls down the stretch. The Knicks game last night vs the Celtics. 48 free throws to 17. Melo ejected in the 2nd quarter because Toni Brothers didn't have his daily dose of prune juice before the game alarms me.

I think its time the NBA force retirement on some of these refs. They aren't keeping up with the game and in turn they are going to start hurting ratings when fans begin to think their teams aren't worth watching because of referee vendettas.

The biggest problem with the league in my opinion is officiating. When fans know the names of the referees and are hoping they aren't calling the game against their own team its a problem. I don't see that issue in other sports worlds outside of baseball where the referees have name recognition. Referees shouldn't have name recognition if they are doing a fair balanced job across the board.

No lie... In 5 of our losses we were up with 3 minutes or so remaining in the 4th... That is where the phantom calls started for OKC/Cavs/Pacers/Hawks and so on... And it was flat out some of the easiest **** you will ever see just being missed or not called... I dont care if they want to let them play or call every foul in the world as long as its done all game start to finish... The stupid ****ing notion that a foul is only a foul up until the final few minutes of a game is ********... Kyrie fell over his own 2 ****ing feet and we got called for a foul when it was a travel... we were up 6.

More-Than-Most
11-12-2016, 06:56 PM

this is just bogus... Yes the Knicks played like **** but the officiating was ****ing horrid against the knicks yesterday period... You cant say the celtics winning by 28 makes it irrelevant.. the calls started early and often when the game was close. That matters man. The knicks played like ****... Esp Rose and Porz... But the knicks were forced into a corner early and often and got no help.

More-Than-Most
11-12-2016, 06:58 PM
My *****ing above isnt for the sixers or against the celtics and for the knicks... My *****ing is how ****ing bad the NBA officiating is from week to week... And at times it goes against and for all teams with some teams because of their status and their star power getting the benefit of the doubt more often then not and that is not how a league should be ran. I dont give a **** if the game takes 6 hours **** needs to be reviewed on the spot because these phantom calls are terrible.

Henderson for the sixers has driven like 6 times late in games and had everything done to him except being hit with a ****ing bat and not once has a foul been called... Literally the dude has been punched/grabbed/hit/bodied while driving and shooting and NOTHING... This is not me over exaggerating either

ewing
11-12-2016, 07:06 PM
this is just bogus... Yes the Knicks played like **** but the officiating was ****ing horrid against the knicks yesterday period... You cant say the celtics winning by 28 makes it irrelevant.. the calls started early and often when the game was close. That matters man. The knicks played like ****... Esp Rose and Porz... But the knicks were forced into a corner early and often and got no help.

the team best player also got tossed and it didn't look like he did much. With no Melo and Rose having tragically bad game the Knicks were going to lose. that said the refs were pretty bad last last. IT was also excellent.

tp13baby
11-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Interestingly Denver a few days ago played Memphis. A late call with .3 seconds went Memphis way. Denver protested the game. NBA admits to getting the call won.

Green_Monster
11-12-2016, 10:28 PM

Nope, it was pretty irrelevant. The Celtics outplayed them, by a lot.

Just another fan who thinks the refs hate their team.

Scoots
11-13-2016, 12:59 AM
We need a 4th ref ... 2 refs play base line to 3 point line extended one way, the other 2 the same. Cuts the running down by 25% or so.

Refs should not be making calls they can't SEE ever. If you see a guy swipe down but don't see illegal contact don't make the call. The 4th ref means there are fewer places to hide but a ref guessing on a foul is the terribly frustrating.

The block/charge/pick/screen rules need to be simplified so they are called more consistently. A defensive player should be allowed their space, if an offensive player is the one who takes up the space it should either be a charge or preferably most of the time a no call. It does NOT have to be a defensive foul the vast majority of the time. Very few people are fans of free throws, so let's call the game the way the rules are actually written.

The game should be officiated the same for every team every time. EVERY time. The pre-season, the first week of the regular season, the all-star game, the playoffs, and the finals. If the enforcement changes from game to game, week to week, month to month then the players will test them every game and see what they can get away with. If you want better games and a better show the officiating has to be consistent.

Vee-Rex
11-13-2016, 01:44 AM
Everyone thinks the refs are screwing over their team. Same ole **** different toilet paper.

Scoots
11-13-2016, 02:58 AM
The thing is, the refs are screwing over all of the teams. You just don't always notice when they screw the other team.