PDA

View Full Version : Betts Wins Gold Glove

RedSoxtober
11-09-2016, 01:01 PM
The Gold Glove honors the best defenders at each position in each league. Major League managers and coaches, voting only within their league and unable to vote for players on their own teams, account for 75 percent of the selection process; the sabermetrics community accounts for the other 25 percent.

This marks the first career Gold Glove Award for Betts, who led American League outfielders with a .997 fielding percentage, committing only one error in 361 total chances. At only 24 years old, he is the youngest Red Sox player to win a Gold Glove Award at any position since Fred Lynn earned the honor in 1975 as a 23-year-old outfielder.

According to FanGraphs, Betts’ 32 defensive runs saved in 2016 were 10 more than any other player at any position. He was a part of four double plays—tied for most among major league outfielders—and recorded 14 assists, second-most among right fielders behind only Adam Eaton (15). The only other Red Sox player since 1960 to record as many as 14 assists as a right fielder is Dwight Evans, who reached that total four times.

Voted the starting right fielder in the 2016 MLB All-Star Game, Betts made each of his 157 regular-season starts at the position, more than any other major leaguer this season. He also led all right fielders in innings (1,381.2) and putouts (346) in 2016.

This is the 44th Gold Glove Award in Red Sox history—earned by 21 different players—since the award’s inception in 1957. Betts is the 10th Red Sox player to win a Gold Glove Award as an outfielder, joining Shane Victorino, Jacoby Ellsbury, Ellis Burks, Dwight Evans, Fred Lynn, Carl Yastrzemski, Reggie Smith, Jackie Jensen, and Jimmy Piersall.weei.com

Green_Monster
11-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Well deserved.

RedSoxtober
11-11-2016, 02:06 PM
His season was all the more remarkable knowing that this was coming...

Mookie Betts had a tremendous 2016 season and he did it while not being 100 percent healthy.

The team announced Friday morning Betts underwent successful right knee arthroscopy, chondroplasty, and a loose body removal yesterday. The procedure was performed by Head Team Orthopedist Dr. Peter Asnis at Massachusetts General Hospital.

He is expected to make a full recovery and be ready for spring training.weei.com

RedSoxtober
01-10-2017, 09:38 PM
A case can be made that Mookie Betts was the best all-around player in baseball last year. He’s certainly the game’s best right fielder.

That is the conclusion of ESPN’s Buster Olney in his latest positional roundup, conducted via a poll of industry evaluators, which places Betts ahead of even former NL MVP Bryce Harper among all right fielders in baseball.

Olney cites Betts’ emergence as a WAR monster (9.6) last year, when he hit 31 homers, stole 26 bases in 30 chances, won a Gold Glove with an astounding 32 runs saved, and stepped forward as one of the best young players in the game’s history.

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider this:

From Sarah Langs of ESPN Stats & Information: Betts had 9.6 WAR in 2016 in his age-23 season. The only Red Sox player with more WAR in an age-23 season or younger was Ted Williams, who had 10.6 in 1941 in his age-22 season and 10.6 in 1942 at age 23. The only position players overall with higher WAR in age-23 or younger seasons were Williams, Trout, Harper, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Cal Ripken and Rogers Hornsby.

Those are all Hall of Famers or future ones. Betts is off to one heck of a start.weei.com

bagwell368
01-11-2017, 10:22 PM
I know the fielding folks in the two SABR WAR camps had worked on the oddments of Fenway. I have a hard time looking at what I saw (about 30% of his home games and extrapolating 32 runs saved from that.

His FanGraphs defensive UZR/150 is 17.2, that's not a 1 to 1 comparison with BR's stat. I looked up some of the great RF seasons I've seen and I'm not sure about the ratio from runs saved to dWAR for Betts compared to some of the others. Two of Dwight Evans seasons were better when looked at by games played and inning. That makes sense because Betts is damn good, but not as good as Dwight (at his best) in my memory.

No big deal. I hope he has a 12.0 this year!