PDA

View Full Version : Curry breaks NBA record for 3s in one game with 13

hughest4
11-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Golden State Warriors superstar Stephen Curry experienced a rare terrible shooting night on Friday when he missed all 10 of his three-pointers against the Los Angeles Lakers, ended an NBA record streak of 157 straight games with at least one three. Faced with an opportunity to bounce back at home Monday against the New Orleans Pelicans, Curry did not just take advantage of his fresh start. He literally made more three-pointers than an NBA player ever had in a single game.

Curry shot 13-of-17 from beyond the arc to set a new NBA record for three-pointers in a game, claiming sole possession of a record he had previously shared with Kobe Bryant and Donyell Marshall. Curry tied that mark with 12 three-pointers — the last on a 35-foot buzzer-beater — in a dramatic overtime win against the Oklahoma City Thunder in February. Monday night’s record-breaker did not come under quite such incredible circumstances, but watching Curry remains one of the most thrilling experiences in sports.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stephen-curry-breaks-nba-record-for-3s-in-one-game-with-13-061520767.html

I love Ray Allen, and I love Reggie Miller but I think Steph Curry is the best shooter of all time. The fact that he loses his streak for consecutive games with a 3 two days ago and then comes out and does this just speaks to the type of player he is.

Scoots
11-08-2016, 09:26 AM
I saw a poll last year on when Curry would break this record, one of the choices was never, and in 80k votes not a single person voted never. This must have been the most anti-climactic record breaking ever :)

da ThRONe
11-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately I was in the building to witness it. :(

LoveCaliFan
11-08-2016, 10:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stephen-curry-breaks-nba-record-for-3s-in-one-game-with-13-061520767.html

I love Ray Allen, and I love Reggie Miller but I think Steph Curry is the best shooter of all time. The fact that he loses his streak for consecutive games with a 3 two days ago and then comes out and does this just speaks to the type of player he is.

I feel whst you're saying, but do you think Curry would get that record with the 90's type defenses like Miller, Allen had to deal with. It was harder for them, which is why it's hard for me to say he's best shooter all time. Curry is a great shooter no doubt, but it would be tough for him if he was dealing with same defenses they had to deal with. But Curry is def in my Top 5.

da ThRONe
11-08-2016, 10:04 AM
I feel whst you're saying, but do you think Curry would get that record with the 90's type defenses like Miller, Allen had to deal with. It was harder for them, which is why it's hard for me to say he's best shooter all time. Curry is a great shooter no doubt, but it would be tough for him if he was dealing with same defenses they had to deal with. But Curry is def in my Top 5.

Yes he's hitting 3's. Some of them several steps beyond the 3pt line. Hand checking wouldn't effect that.

LoveCaliFan
11-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Yes he's hitting 3's. Some of them several steps beyond the 3pt line. Hand checking wouldn't effect that.

I wish i had a time machine. I'd grab all greats at the age of 26. That would be some great basketball. Oh, they'd all have modern day training, because alot of those greats(60's- 80's) didn't have a great off hand..lol..Can you imagine Oscar Robertson with a left. He averaged nearly a triple double as a one hand bandit..lol..

Scoots
11-08-2016, 10:44 AM

He's got 3 guys around him when he's hot and he's getting hit regularly with the NBA saying several times that fouls should have been called on his made 3s late in games. I've been an NBA fan since the early 80s and I'm certain the hand checking would not have had a significant impact on Curry's shooting. He would have shot less and probably worn down more (like Reggie and all the other great shooters did), but he would still be an elite shooter and his ability to hit those absurd 3s would still work because he's usually shooting those against air.

LoveCaliFan
11-08-2016, 10:51 AM
He's got 3 guys around him when he's hot and he's getting hit regularly with the NBA saying several times that fouls should have been called on his made 3s late in games. I've been an NBA fan since the early 80s and I'm certain the hand checking would not have had a significant impact on Curry's shooting. He would have shot less and probably worn down more (like Reggie and all the other great shooters did), but he would still be an elite shooter and his ability to hit those absurd 3s would still work because he's usually shooting those against air.

You right. He'd still be elite. I just think he'd be on their level. It would be Nasty to see Curry, Miller and Allen all in the NBA together. They'd bring the 4 pointer if that was to happen..lol.

Scoots
11-08-2016, 12:05 PM
You right. He'd still be elite. I just think he'd be on their level. It would be Nasty to see Curry, Miller and Allen all in the NBA together. They'd bring the 4 pointer if that was to happen..lol.

You know Ray Allen didn't play in the bad old days of hand checking either right? The rule was changed IIRC after the 1994 season and Ray didn't come into the league until 1996.

Actually, most people don't know this, but Magic came into the league the year after an anti-hand-checking rule was added to the rulebooks ... from the nba rules history page:

Clarification added to prohibit hand-checking through “rigid enforcement” of rule allowing a defensive player to retain contact with his opponent so long as he does not impede his opponent’s progress.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html

What they changed in 1995 was that you couldn't put your hand on a guy outside facing at all, but you hadn't been "allowed" to control an offensive player with your hands since 1978 ... but they've slacked up on that no-contact thing now too.

So, by that measure Jordan didn't play with hand checking either ... the only players who really did were before 1978. What happened in 1995 was a re-emphasis of the rule because Pat Riley is a sneaky bastard and had essentially single handedly changed the game by relying on the gullibility of officials. But Riley didn't really start doing that until the 1992-93 season. So while Jordan dealt with the worst of the hand-checking of the last 38 years, he only dealt with it for a few years. Now, I can see people shaking their heads and thinking of the Pistons ... but Chuck Daly wasn't a big proponent of hand checking, what he did was play very aggressive position D outside and you were NOT going inside without a serious bruise. Daly, like Riley, didn't mind his guys getting fouls if they stopped the basket, but Daly was more interesting in beating you down inside and keeping you outside while Riley more wanted to lower your shooting percentage outside AND beat you down inside.

LoveCaliFan
11-08-2016, 12:27 PM
You know Ray Allen didn't play in the bad old days of hand checking either right? The rule was changed IIRC after the 1994 season and Ray didn't come into the league until 1996.

Actually, most people don't know this, but Magic came into the league the year after an anti-hand-checking rule was added to the rulebooks ... from the nba rules history page:

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html

What they changed in 1995 was that you couldn't put your hand on a guy outside facing at all, but you hadn't been "allowed" to control an offensive player with your hands since 1978 ... but they've slacked up on that no-contact thing now too.

So, by that measure Jordan didn't play with hand checking either ... the only players who really did were before 1978. What happened in 1995 was a re-emphasis of the rule because Pat Riley is a sneaky bastard and had essentially single handedly changed the game by relying on the gullibility of officials. But Riley didn't really start doing that until the 1992-93 season. So while Jordan dealt with the worst of the hand-checking of the last 38 years, he only dealt with it for a few years. Now, I can see people shaking their heads and thinking of the Pistons ... but Chuck Daly wasn't a big proponent of hand checking, what he did was play very aggressive position D outside and you were NOT going inside without a serious bruise. Daly, like Riley, didn't mind his guys getting fouls if they stopped the basket, but Daly was more interesting in beating you down inside and keeping you outside while Riley more wanted to lower your shooting percentage outside AND beat you down inside.

Didn't know that. But i was referring to bodying up on players. It was a tough, tough league. Curry is tough, bbut them dude's were getting elbows to neck and chest. Those were regular fouls then and most weren't called either. I also believe they let the players hand check even if it was against rules. He'd be a 20-22ppg imo, but that's still great. I just don't think he'd be as efficient. But who knows. Unless someone has that time machine..lol

tredigs
11-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Didn't know that. But i was referring to bodying up on players. It was a tough, tough league. Curry is tough, bbut them dude's were getting elbows to neck and chest. Those were regular fouls then and most weren't called either. I also believe they let the players hand check even if it was against rules. He'd be a 20-22ppg imo, but that's still great. I just don't think he'd be as efficient. But who knows. Unless someone has that time machine..lol
I'd argue that perimeter defense is far more advanced and far tighter on Curry than it ever was on players in the past. There's no league that is holding prime Curry to under 25 (if he's taking the requisite shot attempts) or a poor FG%. You're talking about this player here... there's no "system" or era that can stop the following type of play when Curry is on one (see: most nights), his handle is too good and his release is too fast. He's a cheat code: 795865723226591232

Pretty funny seeing KD's reaction to getting to be on the Curry-side of his shows for a change.

Vee-Rex
11-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Stephen Curry is the best shooter of all time. ENJOY IT. There's no defense in the history of the game that could stop him. You can try to limit him, you can try to get in his head and frustrate him, you can try to tire him out. Sure, you may be able to affect him here and there and it'll take a combination of things to do that, but ultimately your fate is in his hands.

Hawkeye15
11-08-2016, 12:49 PM
I'd argue that perimeter defense is far more advanced and far tighter on Curry than it ever was on players in the past. There's no league that is holding prime Curry to under 25 (if he's taking the requisite shot attempts) or a poor FG%. You're talking about this player here... there's no "system" or era that can stop the following type of play when Curry is on one (see: most nights), his handle is too good and his release is too fast. He's a cheat code: 795865723226591232

Pretty funny seeing KD's reaction to getting to be on the Curry-side of his shows for a change.

in the older days, Curry's front office just gets him replica's of Dale Davis, Rik Smit's, Charles Oakley, etc. Just run his guy through pick destruction like they did the old timers.

Curry's range is also unseen, outside an occasional Thunder Dan outburst, but he couldn't do it off the dribble. Curry would shred the older players up just as easily.

europagnpilgrim
11-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Curry's dad for some reason gets overlooked as one of the best purest shooters to ever live, he was the original cheat code(for video games also), he just couldn't shoot off the bounce like his son but he could shoot just as lethal, as we all see where the son Curry got it from naturally, Dell could outshoot(better pure shooter) Allen/Miller/Price/Bird/Hodges/Legler/Kerr/Person etc. but it would be close and box office had it had went down

Blink
11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
13 3's.

13 backwards is 31.

Warriors blew a 3-1 lead.

Lol sorry had too. See too much of this on ESPN Facebook comments.

Chewbacca
11-08-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm honestly surprised he didn't break this record last year with the way his was playing. I also wouldn't be shocked at all if he broke this record again this season.

tredigs
11-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm honestly surprised he didn't break this record last year with the way his was playing. I also wouldn't be shocked at all if he broke this record again this season.

Well to be fair he was already tied for 1st at 12 (1x), 2nd at 11 (2x) and 3rd at 10 (3x).

Last year he could have done it a few times but they always had too big of leads going into the 4th quarter so he would get benched. This was the rare case where he had a chance to beat it and the Pels were still keeping it competitive thanks to AD

Hawkeye15
11-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Curry's dad for some reason gets overlooked as one of the best purest shooters to ever live, he was the original cheat code(for video games also), he just couldn't shoot off the bounce like his son but he could shoot just as lethal, as we all see where the son Curry got it from naturally, Dell could outshoot(better pure shooter) Allen/Miller/Price/Bird/Hodges/Legler/Kerr/Person etc. but it would be close and box office had it had went down

Del was a sniper. He never took shots with any degree of difficulty like Steph does.

Hodges, Armstrong, Kerr, etc, they are snipers. They didn't get the crazy attention many of the other guys you listed did..

lol, please
11-10-2016, 07:56 PM

I agree about him being the best shooter of all time. Just an incredible talent and gifted player.