PDA

View Full Version : Sixers: Still tanking after all these years

JasonJohnHorn
11-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Sixers management claims they are 'not tanking' this year. Their 0-5 record suggests otherwise.

Tanking doesn't work. The Warriors and Thunder were the most stacked teams over the last few seasons, and while each had losing seasons, both were constantly trying to improve and relied on scouting to get the best possible players in the draft. Their players grew, and saw wins increase each year, and the Warriors built the most stacked team in the league without even getting top-five pick, while the Thunder only had a couple of season with picks that high.

The Sixers, on the other hand, have built a losing culture. Their players have not seen improvement, and consequently don't even want to play in Philly. They've handled the Nerlens trade situation about as badly as a team could when putting a player on the block, and despite having a boat load of picks, there seem to be no light at the end of this tunnel, because their scouting has proven mediocre at best, and injuries have plagued them.

Are the Sixers the argument against tanking? Are they still tanking? Or has this losing culture simply become a monster they can't control?

More-Than-Most
11-06-2016, 09:58 PM
no we arent. This isnt me being a homer either. We have our 2 best players in Embiid and OKA on minute restrictions because of injuries... So our 2 best players are playing 24 minutes a night after starting out at 12 minutes a night... We have no simmons... Saric is trying to get use to things and we just made a trade for Illya... We also have been flat out **** on by the refs this year and should have beat both the cavs and the thunder.

dhopisthename
11-06-2016, 10:06 PM
just because you are bad doesn't mean you are tanking. it was/is going to take a while to fix this team. Rookies don't help teams win games and they have a ton of those.

warfelg
11-06-2016, 11:57 PM
just because you are bad doesn't mean you are tanking. it was/is going to take a while to fix this team. Rookies don't help teams win games and they have a ton of those.

That and minutes restrictions to centers, injuries to key players, terrible players still on the team...it all plays a part.

As a Sixers fan there is a vast vast difference between the last three years and this year.

In the past we were avoiding talent, bad players were given free reign. This year, the good players are getting the ball, the quality players are getting big minutes.

Now...we're just a bad team without the talent to close out.

And with three or four different calls...we could be 2-3 as opposed to 0-5. The Sixers under Hinkie would have never come that close. Other than the Hawks blowout, and the horribly officiated Charlotte game we are right there. And the teams we're playing are noticing.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-07-2016, 12:13 AM
Tanking doesn't work.

Do you think getting franchise altering players is a good way to turn our franchise around?

Because that's what tanking is designed for. It's clearly not a guarantee but it doesn't take a genius to realize your chances of getting a top player improves the higher you pick in the draft.

The 76ers aren't a contending team not because they "built" a losing culture, but for the simple reason they haven't gotten a franchise altering player all those years. Now they have Embiid and Simmons but they still are limited (restrictions/injuries).

Gibby23
11-07-2016, 01:17 AM
They are not tanking. They just are not ready yet. Once they get Simmons back, they should get some wins. Still too young to get a bunch of wins, but you can see they compete

NYKnickFanatic
11-07-2016, 01:41 AM
Definitely wouldn't say they are tanking. They are out there competing. A lot of close games. They are going to be fun to watch when Simmons gets back.

JasonJohnHorn
11-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Do you think getting franchise altering players is a good way to turn our franchise around?

Because that's what tanking is designed for. It's clearly not a guarantee but it doesn't take a genius to realize your chances of getting a top player improves the higher you pick in the draft.

The 76ers aren't a contending team not because they "built" a losing culture, but for the simple reason they haven't gotten a franchise altering player all those years. Now they have Embiid and Simmons but they still are limited (restrictions/injuries).

They have Embiid and Simmons. Sure. As to Simmons, we don't know how his game will translate, and frankly, we don't know that about Embiid yet either.

Would getting a franchise player help? Sure. Did it help the Magic when they drafted Shaq or Dwight? It is hard enough for a team to keep a first overall pick, but you throw in a losing culture, and there is no way to keep them. They've had the worst stretch in the history of the league over the last three seasons, and all they've gotten is MCW (gone), Nerlens (pretty much gone), Okafor (on the trading block) an injured forward who reportedly doesn't even want to play with them (Simons) and an injury prone C on minutes restriction who refers to himself as the Process in reference to his team taking every year (Embiid).

There is no sense of consistency with the roster and the direction they have, there is no sense of progress, and while some of that is because of bad luck (Nerlens, Embiid, and Simmons getting injured as rookies), this team has made it clear they are content losing, and when that happens, players force trades and leave in free agency.

So, no, tanking doesn't 'work'. Drafting well, playing to win, doing extensive scouting in college and Europe, and creating consistency works. #Spurs #Warriors

Ariza's Better
11-07-2016, 03:40 AM
Unless the 76ers are purposely hurting players their not tanking. Once Embiid, Oka are off mins restriction and Simmons is up and running they will start winning again. Also tanking is a way overused word in sport these days.

GoferKing_
11-07-2016, 06:25 AM
They do not even have to tank to be the worst dude.

Clint Olbrock
11-07-2016, 08:12 AM
I watched 2 of their games and would say I'm not of the opinion they're tanking.. They had very close games with the Cavs, Magic and Thunder.

omdigga
11-07-2016, 09:32 AM
tanking means losing on purpose.. they aren't doing that.

LanceUpperCut
11-07-2016, 09:37 AM
This is a product of tanking for years. The players are so use to losing they don't know how to win games and probably don't care as much as a team that has constantly preached a winning mentality.

To me tanking is and always will be a disgraceful thing to do. Sure come mid season if your team is going no where you sell off pieces and play the future or if your a bottom end team you don't try to fix it all by overpaid FA but to flat out try to lose like Philly had done shouldn't be an option for a pro sports team.

LanceUpperCut
11-07-2016, 09:38 AM
And no I don't think they are tanking at all just not good, even if healthy.

warfelg
11-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I watched 2 of their games and would say I'm not of the opinion they're tanking.. They had very close games with the Cavs, Magic and Thunder.

And RoCo was 1-9 from three against the Cavs. No points against the Magic. :facepalm:

That's not tanking that's just pure sucking.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 09:44 AM

/thread

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 09:46 AM
also if you have seen Embiid play then you know tanking was 1000000% worth it

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 09:47 AM

You can get franchise altering players through the draft, free agency, or trade. By focusing solely on the draft, you eliminate the possibility of gaining a superstar through the other two. Houston never tanked, and they landed Harden through trade, then Howard through free agency. They built assets and a competitve team while managing their cap space, and took opportunities that came up.

If you tank all your current assets look like D-leaguers so no one will give you much for them, and your record is so poor no free agent worth having will come there.

I give Hinkie all the credit in the world for sticking to his plan, but it wasn't a good plan.

warfelg
11-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Star players don't say things like this about tanking teams:

“They play hard,” said Irving. “They’ve never lost their ability to compete. They always go out there and play hard, especially against a good team like us.

“They were able to get their crowd into it. Years past, that’s kind of been lacking, but you saw they were really into it.”

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 09:53 AM
This is a product of tanking for years. The players are so use to losing they don't know how to win games and probably don't care as much as a team that has constantly preached a winning mentality.

To me tanking is and always will be a disgraceful thing to do. Sure come mid season if your team is going no where you sell off pieces and play the future or if your a bottom end team you don't try to fix it all by overpaid FA but to flat out try to lose like Philly had done shouldn't be an option for a pro sports team.

The players are used to losing?

Noel, Thompson and Covington are basically the only players (starting caliber players) that have been on this team during the 'tank.' So how are Saric, Embiid, Rodriguez, Henderson, Ilyasova, TWC used to losing in their first year with the team under NEW FO personel?

I love how the Sixers did something different and everyone is stoning them for it. This is a league, especially lately, that being a mid tier team is the absolute worst place to be in. That was the Sixers. The sixers have more to be excited about now than they have since Iverson was here. They also most likely have more to excited about now than they did with IVerson too.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 09:58 AM
You can get franchise altering players through the draft, free agency, or trade. By focusing solely on the draft, you eliminate the possibility of gaining a superstar through the other two. Houston never tanked, and they landed Harden through trade, then Howard through free agency. They built assets and a competitve team while managing their cap space, and took opportunities that came up.

If you tank all your current assets look like D-leaguers so no one will give you much for them, and your record is so poor no free agent worth having will come there.

I give Hinkie all the credit in the world for sticking to his plan, but it wasn't a good plan.

So you gave one example of a team that didn't need to get their franchise player through the draft and that lucked out on a team giving up a franchise player because they didn't know how to manage their cap/were afraid of what their cap might be. How often does a franchise player become available like Harden? I'm going to say more teams 'suck to get a better pick' than a franchise type player becomes available via trade or FA.

It's funny you say their assets look like d-leaguers... would a d-leaguer fetch a valuable pick like the Lakers pick? or how about the Sac pick/swap? Pretty sure d-leaguers wouldn't even fetch a tip for the hotdog vendors.

When Saric, Simmons, Embiid, Okafor/Noel get the sixers to winning games and they still have the Lakers high pick and the Sac pick swap, another tune is going to be sung.

Clint Olbrock
11-07-2016, 10:38 AM
And RoCo was 1-9 from three against the Cavs. No points against the Magic. :facepalm:

That's not tanking that's just pure sucking.

He couldn't buy a bucket in the Cavs game, got some decent looks too.

warfelg
11-07-2016, 10:40 AM
He couldn't buy a bucket in the Cavs game, got some decent looks too.

It's was terrible. I just don't understand. He only takes 19% of his shots at the rim too. His defense is the only thing saving him.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 10:50 AM
They aren't tanking at all. They have players new to the NBA, and new to playing time, and that takes a lot of time to win with. They just aren't even remotely ready to compete night in, night out. This season is all about finding chemistry, staying healthy, and really identifying what the core pieces are going forward. If they stumble into 20-25 wins, great building season...

Alayla
11-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Sixers management claims they are 'not tanking' this year. Their 0-5 record suggests otherwise.

Tanking doesn't work. The Warriors and Thunder were the most stacked teams over the last few seasons, and while each had losing seasons, both were constantly trying to improve and relied on scouting to get the best possible players in the draft. Their players grew, and saw wins increase each year, and the Warriors built the most stacked team in the league without even getting top-five pick, while the Thunder only had a couple of season with picks that high.

The Sixers, on the other hand, have built a losing culture. Their players have not seen improvement, and consequently don't even want to play in Philly. They've handled the Nerlens trade situation about as badly as a team could when putting a player on the block, and despite having a boat load of picks, there seem to be no light at the end of this tunnel, because their scouting has proven mediocre at best, and injuries have plagued them.

Are the Sixers the argument against tanking? Are they still tanking? Or has this losing culture simply become a monster they can't control?

Simmons Noel and Bayless are all hurt.
Embiid and Okafor on min restrictions and convginton has taken about 10 steps back.
Yet we have still been in close games lately.
Not sure what you expect from a young team with a 3rd of it's roster injured (and all happening to be it's best players).

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 10:57 AM
So you gave one example of a team that didn't need to get their franchise player through the draft and that lucked out on a team giving up a franchise player because they didn't know how to manage their cap/were afraid of what their cap might be. How often does a franchise player become available like Harden? I'm going to say more teams 'suck to get a better pick' than a franchise type player becomes available via trade or FA.

It's funny you say their assets look like d-leaguers... would a d-leaguer fetch a valuable pick like the Lakers pick? or how about the Sac pick/swap? Pretty sure d-leaguers wouldn't even fetch a tip for the hotdog vendors.

When Saric, Simmons, Embiid, Okafor/Noel get the sixers to winning games and they still have the Lakers high pick and the Sac pick swap, another tune is going to be sung.
How often does a top 3 pick take the team that drafted him to a championship? Never, unless you're the Spurs or the Cavs.

I very clearly stated that I was talking about during the tank. They are no longer tanking.

Alayla
11-07-2016, 10:57 AM
They have Embiid and Simmons. Sure. As to Simmons, we don't know how his game will translate, and frankly, we don't know that about Embiid yet either.

Would getting a franchise player help? Sure. Did it help the Magic when they drafted Shaq or Dwight? It is hard enough for a team to keep a first overall pick, but you throw in a losing culture, and there is no way to keep them. They've had the worst stretch in the history of the league over the last three seasons, and all they've gotten is MCW (gone), Nerlens (pretty much gone), Okafor (on the trading block) an injured forward who reportedly doesn't even want to play with them (Simons) and an injury prone C on minutes restriction who refers to himself as the Process in reference to his team taking every year (Embiid).

There is no sense of consistency with the roster and the direction they have, there is no sense of progress, and while some of that is because of bad luck (Nerlens, Embiid, and Simmons getting injured as rookies), this team has made it clear they are content losing, and when that happens, players force trades and leave in free agency.

So, no, tanking doesn't 'work'. Drafting well, playing to win, doing extensive scouting in college and Europe, and creating consistency works. #Spurs #Warriors

??? What xD

theducksmuggler
11-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Add Noel Bayless and Simmons to this team and its A LOT different...and we just made a trade for Ersan Ilyasova which was a trade to improve the team this season unlike moves in the past...not sure if you just made this thread looking at their record on ESPN or if you actually watched a sinlge game

SeoulBeatz
11-07-2016, 11:02 AM
It's was terrible. I just don't understand. He only takes 19% of his shots at the rim too. His defense is the only thing saving him.

Yeah RoCo has been hot garbage this season.

As for the OP, no, the team is not tanking. I've liked what I've seen from them this season and they've hung in there with some good teams. Losing to the Cavs by 1, though heartbreaking, was a step in the right direction.

We finally have two assets to build around. Embiid has given me hope this season to the point where I almost forget about Simmons while watching him play.

JoJo's gotta work on his turnovers (they proved costly at the end of the Cavs game) but I also understand that he is also the only reason we are competitive in games to begin with. When he's off the court the team goes to ****.

Alayla
11-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Also if JasonJohnHorn can overreact to our record this early i can overreact to Embiid this early he ALONE is worth all of the years of sucking this guy is a no questions asked bonified Allstar center in the making looks to even be a HOF Center in the making. If Simmons is half of what he was touted as this team is going to dominate for a long time espically with all these assets to grab another key guy when they hit the market.
With Embiid the Sixers have already won.

Scoots
11-07-2016, 11:09 AM
No, the Sixers are not tanking. I don't think they had the best off-season either (their backcourt is, and has been, so bad and somehow it didn't get better) and that contributes, but no, not tanking.

Luwawu and Korkmaz I understand ... they are hoping at least one of them develops into the SG of the future, and picking 24th and 26th it's hard to find a player who can contribute right away ... but trading up would be a possibility, or going for a more experienced US guard prospect who is more ready to play with either of those picks would have made sense.

In free agency or trades ... I don't know what they could have done and not sacrificed their flexibility, but all that front court talent and all that money and all those "assets" they could have made something happen had they been willing to lower their price.

So, no, not tanking, but absolutely not in win-now or even win-next-year mode. Still in "The Process" which I assume makes the hardcore Sixers fans happy.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 11:13 AM
How often does a top 3 pick take the team that drafted him to a championship? Never, unless you're the Spurs or the Cavs.

I very clearly stated that I was talking about during the tank. They are no longer tanking.

So you're saying it's more likely to acquire a franchise player by trading for them or signing them via FA?

Iverson did it, Magic and Hakeem did it. Isaih Thomas. Kevin Durant. Jordan. All won or at least got to a championship series with the team that drafted them. There are probably some more. That's also excluding Robinson, Duncan, Irving, and Lebron (I know you already counted them).

And so am I talking about the tank...

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 11:16 AM
lol Rockets got Harden but they had ONE successful season since and this season is prob going to be their worst. Who cares which way you choose to target your star? Its a matter of reading the draft and knowing the quality of player you can get. the Sixers might have drafted 2 of the most talented players to come out since Durant, maybe even LeBron.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 11:30 AM
I read recently, that Embiid has played like 650 minutes of 5-5 basketball since high school.

As much potential as he is showing, how can anyone expect someone with that amount of experience since high school, to contribute to 5-5 in the NBA right now?

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 11:41 AM
So you're saying it's more likely to acquire a franchise player by trading for them or signing them via FA?

Iverson did it, Magic and Hakeem did it. Isaih Thomas. Kevin Durant. Jordan. All won or at least got to a championship series with the team that drafted them. There are probably some more. That's also excluding Robinson, Duncan, Irving, and Lebron (I know you already counted them).

And so am I talking about the tank...

I have no idea how I got that so wrong. Gonna have to go back and look at it, but I suspect i meant in the lottery era. Prior to the lottery there was good reason to tank.

Iverson and Durant got to the Finals, they didn't win.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 11:48 AM
I have no idea how I got that so wrong. Gonna have to go back and look at it, but I suspect i meant in the lottery era. Prior to the lottery there was good reason to tank.

Iverson and Durant got to the Finals, they didn't win.

But you didn't say 'win' you said get to the Championship. The whole point was you were saying it never happened and you said there are other avenues to obtain a franchise player which you only listed one and that franchise player hasn't lead his team to a championship.

The likelihood of getting a franchise player solely rides on the draft. There really is no better way. The Sixers 'could' try and trade for one with their assets, but honestly, who is available to get? In today's age, anytime a franchise player becomes available via FA they don't go to a team devoid of a franchise player, they go to a team that already has a franchise player.

When is the last time a franchise player that was a FA went to a team that didn't have a franchise player already?

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 11:55 AM
But you didn't say 'win' you said get to the Championship. The whole point was you were saying it never happened and you said there are other avenues to obtain a franchise player which you only listed one and that franchise player hasn't lead his team to a championship.

The likelihood of getting a franchise player solely rides on the draft. There really is no better way. The Sixers 'could' try and trade for one with their assets, but honestly, who is available to get? In today's age, anytime a franchise player becomes available via FA they don't go to a team devoid of a franchise player, they go to a team that already has a franchise player.

When is the last time a franchise player that was a FA went to a team that didn't have a franchise player already?

yeah, to get a franchise player, you need to draft one, or trade for one. They won't just come in FA, no matter what market you are. Last time a mega star went to a team in FA, that didn't already have a star, was maybe Shaq to LA? Even then, they were a 50+ win team, with a bunch of good players.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 12:01 PM
I read recently, that Embiid has played like 650 minutes of 5-5 basketball since high school.

As much potential as he is showing, how can anyone expect someone with that amount of experience since high school, to contribute to 5-5 in the NBA right now?

what do you mean? The team is so much better when he is on the court. He still has some things to work on but his potential is just downright scary

SeoulBeatz
11-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Also if JasonJohnHorn can overreact to our record this early i can overreact to Embiid this early he ALONE is worth all of the years of sucking this guy is a no questions asked bonified Allstar center in the making looks to even be a HOF Center in the making. If Simmons is half of what he was touted as this team is going to dominate for a long time espically with all these assets to grab another key guy when they hit the market.
With Embiid the Sixers have already won.

Is it weird that I want to trade Noel BACK for Jrue?

SeoulBeatz
11-07-2016, 12:25 PM
So, no, not tanking, but absolutely not in win-now or even win-next-year mode. Still in "The Process" which I assume makes the hardcore Sixers fans happy.

The process never dies...
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/791461045349052416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Vee-Rex
11-07-2016, 12:40 PM

I absolutely love that so much. So freaking awesome.

KnicksorBust
11-07-2016, 12:42 PM

Yeah I agree the Sixers needed to bottom out. They played it right. If Embiid has a healthy NBA career then everyone will eat crow. The fact is the old GM Hinkie gave that franchise the most possible chances to get a franchise changing player. The question is whether or not he did a good job with those opportunities. Okafor was not worth his draft pick and Embiid and Simmons have health concerns. Whether or not you want to put that on the GM is your own prerogative but they don't seem like a team that is tanking now. Just had bad luck.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 12:52 PM
what do you mean? The team is so much better when he is on the court. He still has some things to work on but his potential is just downright scary

It means, he isn't going to contribute much to the win column this year. Yes his potential is sky high, but it won't translate to wins this year at a good rate.

JAZZNC
11-07-2016, 12:58 PM
also if you have seen Embiid play then you know tanking was 1000000% worth it

Even though he's putting up some stats at this point, can he stay healthy and if he does is he the kind of dominant big that wins you games or is he Demarcus Cousins? I wouldn't say it's worth the 3yr **** show just because of 5 games.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 01:13 PM
It means, he isn't going to contribute much to the win column this year. Yes his potential is sky high, but it won't translate to wins this year at a good rate.

but again he makes the team better when he is on the floor, he is the reason we took the Cavs to the wire (we were robbed in that game), hes the reason we are able to get big elads in some of these games. The problem is when he comes out. If he could play 10 more mins a night we would have 2-3 wins right now

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Even though he's putting up some stats at this point, can he stay healthy and if he does is he the kind of dominant big that wins you games or is he Demarcus Cousins? I wouldn't say it's worth the 3yr **** show just because of 5 games.

there is no reason to think he ant stay healthy and hes had some hard and awkward falls to ground and bounces up, dude is 100% healthy and im worry free. He is absolutely worth it and you will get to see it first hand tonight when he takes a **** on Gobert.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 01:18 PM
yeah, to get a franchise player, you need to draft one, or trade for one. They won't just come in FA, no matter what market you are. Last time a mega star went to a team in FA, that didn't already have a star, was maybe Shaq to LA? Even then, they were a 50+ win team, with a bunch of good players.

I'd say that's about it. He was just drafted and I doubt Kobe being drafted made Shaq's decision to join since, unless he's a psychic, Shaq didn't know who Kobe was to become.

Yeah I agree the Sixers needed to bottom out. They played it right. If Embiid has a healthy NBA career then everyone will eat crow. The fact is the old GM Hinkie gave that franchise the most possible chances to get a franchise changing player. The question is whether or not he did a good job with those opportunities. Okafor was not worth his draft pick and Embiid and Simmons have health concerns. Whether or not you want to put that on the GM is your own prerogative but they don't seem like a team that is tanking now. Just had bad luck.

And that's it. The team isn't tanking now. I'm not even a huge basketball fan or even a Sixers fan for that matter. (just a philly sports fan in general with the Sixers being the 4th I follow) but I loved what Hinkie did. It was something different, new, exciting, and unique. I watched the Sixers sit in mediocrity towards the end of AI's reign trying to get old hasbeens to pair with him too late. Then start with a new AI who is nothing more than a role players; case in point his role on the GSW. They were a team sitting on the bubble for nearly 2 decades with two different AI's. It was something that needed to change. It changed and the Sixers sucked to epic proportions but they are finally looking up. They don't even have their star pick in Simmons yet they are competing and showing promise with guys like Embiid and Saric. Even the vets they brought in in Sergio and Henderson are helping out.

This is the year that the tank stopped but the cohesion is to start. It's been bad luck, that's the whole problem. Being bad but not getting the top pick, getting injured top picks (all had either been injured before or injured their first season).

I can't guarantee it's going to work but when you are stock piled with premium prospects (can't deny Embiid and Simmons aren't premium, maybe even Okafor) and high draft picks it's definitely something to be excited for.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 01:22 PM
but again he makes the team better when he is on the floor, he is the reason we took the Cavs to the wire (we were robbed in that game), hes the reason we are able to get big elads in some of these games. The problem is when he comes out. If he could play 10 more mins a night we would have 2-3 wins right now

KAT made us better last year. We still sucked.

You don't get the fact that young teams, even when they compete and have talent, don't win. Why? Because vet teams don't play the first 43 minutes like they do the last 5.

Young teams lose. Just how it is.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 01:24 PM
I'd say that's about it. He was just drafted and I doubt Kobe being drafted made Shaq's decision to join since, unless he's a psychic, Shaq didn't know who Kobe was to become.

they offered the extra money, and it's LA. That is why Shaq went. FA was different than, it was still very new to the game.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 01:41 PM
KAT made us better last year. We still sucked.

You don't get the fact that young teams, even when they compete and have talent, don't win. Why? Because vet teams don't play the first 43 minutes like they do the last 5.

Young teams lose. Just how it is.

i never disagreed with that. You said Embiid isnt going to attribute to many wins bcuz hes young but he is going to be the main reason in the games we win, similar to how KAT was last year. I understand a young team as a whole is going to have growing pains. That said, if everyone remains healthy to open next season i will be expecting to compete for the division.

hugepatsfan
11-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Lol not every bad team is tanking...

The 76ers absolutely were tanking in previous years. Now they're just a bad team because their young guys are developing and their vets just aren't very good.

Scoots
11-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Is it weird that I want to trade Noel BACK for Jrue?

If Jrue was playing and healthy that would be a no-brainer :)

sep11ie
11-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Just another JJH thread about a team he knows nothing about.

Scoots
11-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Year-Title winning team-How top player acquired
2016-Cavs-FA
2015-Warriors-Draft #7
2014-Spurs-Trade
2013-Heat-FA
2012-Heat-FA
2011-Mavs-Draft #9
2010-Lakers-Trade
2009-Lakers-Trade
2008-Celtics-FA

Yeah, the only way to win in the NBA is to pick players in the top 3 :)

I have no problem with tanking, and tanking absolutely works to improve your chances of getting better talent. But it is far from the only way to win in the NBA.

Scoots
11-07-2016, 02:31 PM

That's awesome. Philly sports fans are ... unique. I lived in PA for 4 years and there are no more passionate fans anywhere. They are not the "best" fans because they are not easy on their teams ... but they are absolutely passionate about sports.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 02:43 PM
no one said its the only way to get a star. but how are you supposed to trade for one when you have no assets? Do you not remember we struck out on the Bynum trade? We swung for the fences and missed, as a result tanking and starting over was necessary.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2016, 02:51 PM
i never disagreed with that. You said Embiid isnt going to attribute to many wins bcuz hes young but he is going to be the main reason in the games we win, similar to how KAT was last year. I understand a young team as a whole is going to have growing pains. That said, if everyone remains healthy to open next season i will be expecting to compete for the division.

Embiid hasn't even been game planned for. It's coming.

This year is all about identifying your real players going forward. But, there is finally an end at the light of the tunnel for Philly.

PurpleLynch
11-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Sixers are not tanking,not in this year at least. I watched them and they are playing to win. They just need to develop their young talents and do some trades to add valuable veterans.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Year-Title winning team-How top player acquired
2016-Cavs-FA
2015-Warriors-Draft #7
2014-Spurs-Trade
2013-Heat-FA
2012-Heat-FA
2011-Mavs-Draft #9
2010-Lakers-Trade
2009-Lakers-Trade
2008-Celtics-FA

Yeah, the only way to win in the NBA is to pick players in the top 3 :)

I have no problem with tanking, and tanking absolutely works to improve your chances of getting better talent. But it is far from the only way to win in the NBA.

2016 - Cavs got 2 #1 picks once Lebron left. Lebron going back to Cleveland was a no brainer
2015 - Warriors were terrible for years as well, didn't tank but still got all their players via draft
2014 - sustained success with a #1 overall pick in Duncan and one of the best coaches ever still had a foundation of a great team
2012 - 2013 - my point of a FA going to a team with franchise players
2011 - agreed
2010 - 2009 - Kobe? but yeah he wasn't a top pick
2008 - who was their FA best player? Garnett, Pierce, or Allen?

Besides the Celtics because of the trade (pprobably what the Sixers could do even though they dont/didnt have anyone as good as Pierce to build around) and the MAvs, which one of those teams didn't have a Franchise player already?

Drafting to get that franchise player is the way to build a contender. The likelihood of getting a franchise player via the draft is higher when it's a top 3 pick.

Heediot
11-07-2016, 03:01 PM
I don't think they are tanking. Most have stated the reasons I agreed with why they are not.

76ers have a really bright future if health permits. If they could add one of Markell Fultz/Josh Jackson/Dennis Smith the team would loaded with stud youths. Add in a FA PG/Wing, and trade some of their bigs for better fits and watch out.

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 03:04 PM

Actually no I said get "to a championship" not "get to the Finals" which is what you're implying. Those are very different statements.

Maimi won with free agents and a non top-3 pick. Dallas won with free agents and a non top-3 pick.

Pre lottery there was incentive to tank, because you were guaranteed the top pick if you were the worst team. Tanking is a fool's errand now. Being worst for a 25% shot? Building a losing team, losing culture that free agents won't touch, with little to no tradeable assets, and you don't even have a coin flip at #1.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Actually no I said get "to a championship" not "get to the Finals" which is what you're implying. Those are very different statements.

Maimi won with free agents and a non top-3 pick. Dallas won with free agents and a non top-3 pick.

Pre lottery there was incentive to tank, because you were guaranteed the top pick if you were the worst team. Tanking is a fool's errand now. Being worst for a 25% shot? Building a losing team, losing culture that free agents won't touch, with little to no tradeable assets, and you don't even have a coin flip at #1.

i mean Miami signed James and Bosh because they had Wade who was the 4th pick in a loaded draft. Dallas struck gold with Dirk which is also why they weer able to sign quality FAs. You are just proving the point that you need a star to sign a star.

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 03:16 PM
i mean Miami signed James and Bosh because they had Wade who was the 4th pick in a loaded draft. Dallas struck gold with Dirk which is also why they weer able to sign quality FAs. You are just proving the point that you need a star to sign a star.

I never said you didn't. I said you don't need to tank. Dallas didn't strike gold, they scouted well and developed Dirk.

tp13baby
11-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Not losing on purpose, but the team needs veterans to help groom these players. They don't need to necessarily start or have valuable minutes but they need to be shown how to act/play like a professional winner. Denver has it with Mike Miller and even Jameer Nelson.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Very different, agreed, but getting to the championship series is an accomplishment as well.

As TheDish said, you're proving the point that I said about needing a star to attract other stars. Do you think Bosh and Lebron would've went to Miami without Wade? Dallas, I already said is an exception.

And getting the best odds, no matter the difference, is ensuring you have the best chance of getting the best pick.

And why do you keep spewing the garbage of no assets? The Lakers pick, Okafor, Noel, Saric, Embiid, Simmons (not that the last 2 are getting traded), the Sac pick/swap, plus their own pick aren't assets? And why is everyone talking about a losing culture? It's not like the Sixers were keeping anything they were doing a secret. Everyone knew what was going on, a losing culture wouldn't have Embiid embracing the name 'the process' wouldn't have Saric opt out of more money to come over an play have a kid in Simmons by all accounts wants to be here (I don't know where people are hearing he doesn't want to play here).

FA don't want to come here, agreed, but they didn't want to come here when they were mediocre either. The Sixers had to overpay for an injury ridden Brand, they had to overpay to keep Iggy because they thought he was a franchise guy, and again as per the GSW, he's obviously a role player. They gutted their team to trade for a bust in Bynum. The old regime tried to be more than mediocre and it didn't work.

Trying anything you can to bring reality to light, that the team and franchise was mediocre at best, and make drastic moves to change and improve is what this team did.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I never said you didn't. I said you don't need to tank. Dallas didn't strike gold, they scouted well and developed Dirk.

In the last 9 seasons there have been 7 different champions and out of the possible 18 teams that could have been to the finals there were only 9 different teams.

The odds of getting the number 1 pick for the Sixers was a hll of a lot more attainable than winning the championship.

Also, you're again giving one example out of 30 different teams.

The Sixers had that in AI but were unable to get over the hump yet they did make it to the finals. If the Heat didn't have one of the biggest choke jobs in finals history, Dirk and the Mavs would have been sitting exactly like AI and the sixers.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Not losing on purpose, but the team needs veterans to help groom these players. They don't need to necessarily start or have valuable minutes but they need to be shown how to act/play like a professional winner. Denver has it with Mike Miller and even Jameer Nelson.

but they are starting that with guys like Sergio and Henderson. Even Elysova was just brought in.

SeoulBeatz
11-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Yeah Sam Hinkie intentionally didn't sign vets in order to help the tank and hopefully strike gold on d league talent/2nd rounders.

The Colangelo's brought in some vets this year with Sergio Rodriguez (who has been playing pretty well so far), Gerald Henderson (thinks he's Kobe, already starting to irk me), Jerryd Bayless (Injured, but is the type of combo guard we sorely need), and trading for Ilyasova (solid Euro vet, already put up a couple good performances thus far).

I'd say we're set in the vet department.

Our biggest issue is our top 4 players: Embiid, Simmons, Okafor, and Noel.

JoJo and Ok are still on a minutes restriction, Noel is being a baby and voluntarily opted for minor knee surgery, and Simmons is out until January.

Without the impact of those 4 players the rest of our roster is pretty weak. We were bound to struggle. I'm happy that the team is competing against good teams, but with so many new faces and young players there had to be a feeling out process/lot's of L's for the first month at least.

tp13baby
11-07-2016, 03:44 PM
but they are starting that with guys like Sergio and Henderson. Even Elysova was just brought in.

Did you you just compare those 3 guys combining longevity, league accomplishments, winning to Nelson and Miller. Combining all 3 of them they have played in 32 playoff games not playing a prominent role for their team. Nelson has 39 playoff starts for a very good Orlando team.

Mike Miller has a reputation for being a gold star teammate. Maybe not a more respected individual in the league.

Just because they have years on them doesn't make them valuable veterans for young guys.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 03:48 PM

but its a much smaller chance you draft an HOF caliber player at the end of outside of the lotto. The situation here called for a tank and think thats what most dont understand. Go look at the roster that Hinkie took over and tell me if that team was ever getting out of the first round (let alone make playoffs) or where it would be today.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 03:49 PM

we have Gerald Henderson, Jared Bayless (injured), and now Illyasova plus Rodriguez spent i think 5 years in the league before leaving. Not to mention the whole nedeing vets thing is so overstated its not even funny. Nelson and Miller arent helping **** in Denver.

koldjerky
11-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Did you you just compare those 3 guys combining longevity, league accomplishments, winning to Nelson and Miller. Combining all 3 of them they have played in 32 playoff games not playing a prominent role for their team. Nelson has 39 playoff starts for a very good Orlando team.

Mike Miller has a reputation for being a gold star teammate. Maybe not a more respected individual in the league.

Just because they have years on them doesn't make them valuable veterans for young guys.

I didn't compare them the way you're thinking. I'm just saying this isn't a team full of 1st-3rd year NBA youngins. They have vets who've been around the block. They may not be championship/playoff vets, but they at least know the NBA and have the ability to teach.

So no reason to get all bent out of shape.

SeoulBeatz
11-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Sure they are more accomplished when it comes to playoff wins, but I wouldn't say that Sergio Rodriguez doesn't have any wisdom to pass down to the young fellas.

He was Euroleague MVP and multiple time Euro champion with Real Madrid. When it comes to winning I'm sure he could add a little something to the conversation. Elton Brand still acts as a mentor for the team as well with 40 playoff appearances. That doesn't mean I value his wisdom over Jameer or Mike Miller.

I think it's a positive to have high-character vets on a team regardless.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Since you all tanking, be looking out by 2019 for Tajmaal Toney. My cousin will hopefully be in the draft as a Combo guard. He's 6'4 at 16yrs old and will more than likely be 6'6- 6'7 by the time he graduates high school. He's transferred from Garfield Heights(Cleveland, OH) and will be going to Julian Charter i believe with Billy Preston and other Top recruits.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 04:02 PM
lol did you not read the thread?

tp13baby
11-07-2016, 04:12 PM
I didn't compare them the way you're thinking. I'm just saying this isn't a team full of 1st-3rd year NBA youngins. They have vets who've been around the block. They may not be championship/playoff vets, but they at least know the NBA and have the ability to teach.

So no reason to get all bent out of shape.

I wasn't trying to seem bent out of shape. Merely saying the young talent there should serve as the platform of whats to come. There are veterans that go to bad teams to play and there are veterans who serve as a great role model for younger players. Now I don't necessarily know how those veterans like Hendersen, Rodriguez and the rest influence that locker room. But they are not exactly house hold names for that department.

we have Gerald Henderson, Jared Bayless (injured), and now Illyasova plus Rodriguez spent i think 5 years in the league before leaving. Not to mention the whole nedeing vets thing is so overstated its not even funny. Nelson and Miller arent helping **** in Denver.

Yeah continue that losing pedigree. Miller and Nelson provide a ton, maybe not statistically, but our young guys continue to grow. Its not all about stats, to me young teams revolve around leadership. Why take minutes away from young players if you don't have to, especially when you are rebuilding?

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 04:16 PM
our vetsa arent taking mins from anyone important. Muddiay seems to be really taking off with that vet leadership though

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 04:17 PM
In the last 9 seasons there have been 7 different champions and out of the possible 18 teams that could have been to the finals there were only 9 different teams.

The odds of getting the number 1 pick for the Sixers was a hll of a lot more attainable than winning the championship.

Also, you're again giving one example out of 30 different teams.

The Sixers had that in AI but were unable to get over the hump yet they did make it to the finals. If the Heat didn't have one of the biggest choke jobs in finals history, Dirk and the Mavs would have been sitting exactly like AI and the sixers.

Go back and reread what I was responding to.

If I'm giving one example, again, doesn't that mean I've given at least two examples?

Both of you are using circular logic. "Getting a top pick is the best way to get a franchise player because you need a franchise player to attract top players, so you need a top pick." All that does is restate your opinion without proving it.

akagiredsuns
11-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Yes, they are tanking. Have been for a few years already. Spare the at least they're competing garbage. A loss is a loss. You don't get points for a loss in which you competed unlike hockey, which gives you 1 point for an overtime loss which is stupid. There should never be a reward for losing and futility. Management is a joke and how a coach who nearly broke the NBA record for losses in a season is still coaching is beyond me. They suck even healthy. People act like at full strength they could win 25-30 games. They haven't even won 20 games since the 2012-13 season. Since 2013, their records were 19-63, 18-64, & 10-72. Yea that's progress, towards 0-82.

Vee-Rex
11-07-2016, 04:31 PM
No, they're not tanking.

All I know is that I got December 16th circled on my calendar. Lakers in Philly. They should put that game on ESPN. I'll be looking forward to the March game too since Simmons should be playing at that time.

tp13baby
11-07-2016, 05:14 PM
our vetsa arent taking mins from anyone important. Muddiay seems to be really taking off with that vet leadership though

Nurkic credits Hess and Miller for the improvement this year. Losing 35 lbs and physically dominates games this year after being considered Jokic's backup.

Mudiays second half numbers were actually really solid. He worked with Miller. Post allstar break shot 36.4 % from 3, 77 % ft, while his points increased from 11 ppg to 15 ppg, TO's decreased about 1 less per game. He has struggled and talked about moving to the bench he comes out and puts up 30 on 66 percent shooting. Character, learning from players who have been through rough times.

Malone has raved about Miller, and he is even an advisor for him. Wow.

Miller also must mean something because even Wade listened to Denver and had a meeting with him before choosing Chicago.

6ers fan getting mad because quality veteran leadership helps speed up the rate of a rebuild. Philly has been rebuilding for years, its a losing culture, and winning doesn't just come. Like I said, I have no clue what your veterans bring. Time will tell. Because if the 6ers are still a bottom 3 team again, based off talent its a fail. Accumulate all the draft picks you want but after year 5 it should begin to turn into wins. It just hasn't yet. Boston did it in 3, Utah did it in 3, teams like LA, Orlando, Denver, Milwaukee who are producing more than Philly is but are fewer years into their rebuild.

You take it too personal, I frankly just believe they should be better than what they are and veterans tend to provide leadership that smooth out the highs and lows better.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Yes, they are tanking. Have been for a few years already. Spare the at least they're competing garbage. A loss is a loss. You don't get points for a loss in which you competed unlike hockey, which gives you 1 point for an overtime loss which is stupid. There should never be a reward for losing and futility. Management is a joke and how a coach who nearly broke the NBA record for losses in a season is still coaching is beyond me. They suck even healthy. People act like at full strength they could win 25-30 games. They haven't even won 20 games since the 2012-13 season. Since 2013, their records were 19-63, 18-64, & 10-72. Yea that's progress, towards 0-82.

lol how do you know we suck when healthy if we havent been healthy? youre cluelss bro, losing doesnt mean taking otherwise half the league has been tanking for a long time

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 05:16 PM
No, they're not tanking.

All I know is that I got December 16th circled on my calendar. Lakers in Philly. They should put that game on ESPN. I'll be looking forward to the March game too since Simmons should be playing at that time.

im pretty sure it is going to be televised. i know one of the LAL games is just not sure which one

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Nurkic credits Hess and Miller for the improvement this year. Losing 35 lbs and physically dominates games this year after being considered Jokic's backup.

Mudiays second half numbers were actually really solid. He worked with Miller. Post allstar break shot 36.4 % from 3, 77 % ft, while his points increased from 11 ppg to 15 ppg, TO's decreased about 1 less per game. He has struggled and talked about moving to the bench he comes out and puts up 30 on 66 percent shooting. Character, learning from players who have been through rough times.

Malone has raved about Miller, and he is even an advisor for him. Wow.

Miller also must mean something because even Wade listened to Denver and had a meeting with him before choosing Chicago.

6ers fan getting mad because quality veteran leadership helps speed up the rate of a rebuild. Philly has been rebuilding for years, its a losing culture, and winning doesn't just come. Like I said, I have no clue what your veterans bring. Time will tell. Because if the 6ers are still a bottom 3 team again, based off talent its a fail. Accumulate all the draft picks you want but after year 5 it should begin to turn into wins. It just hasn't yet. Boston did it in 3, Utah did it in 3, teams like LA, Orlando, Denver, Milwaukee who are producing more than Philly is but are fewer years into their rebuild.

You take it too personal, I frankly just believe they should be better than what they are and veterans tend to provide leadership that smooth out the highs and lows better.

in what world is Gerald Henderson not a respected vet or Elton Brand? Vets are vets dude there is no tiering system, they either help or they dont.

mike_noodles
11-07-2016, 06:26 PM
I don't believe they're tanking anymore, they just suck. It's gonna take some more time.

Rocco007
11-07-2016, 07:14 PM
The NBA salary Cap is $94.143 million for the 2016-17 season.
The floor is 90% of that at $84,728,700.
Sixer's are at $76,348,462.
Still 8 mil under the requiremnt...
If Phillyfan is happy with losing and collecting picks that don't fit...Then they deserve what they're getting...
This franchise is still purposely tanking...They don't know how to scout...They don't know what kind of team they're building...There's no vision...
They don't spend money to improve...and they stockpile a bunch of picks with no exact purpose...
Ben Simmons can't carry this team...he's not a scorer...and who the hell is he going to pass it to?...
It's really a shame that fans are buying into this non sense...
Ben Simmons breaks his foot after gaining 30lbs...why?...
Who is watching this kid?...
Just a very poorly ran franchise...
They had a great opporunity to build on the summer momentum and they added nobody worth a mention...
Covington is a starter? They added Jared Bayless and Gerald Henderson...
They can barely shoot 3s and can't defend...
They traded away one of their best defenders in Jerami Grant for another Power forward???...
How was Grant on the bench for the 76ers?...
They are a hot mess..
phillyfan that defends this franchise deserves what they've been getting...
Trust the Process...
Players drafted by the 76ers that could help today...
Mo Speights
Evan Turner
Jrue Holiday
Nikola Vucevic
Mo Harkless
KJ McDaniels
Willy Hermagomez

And as a Lakerfan, your frontoffice got r*ped by the Lakers and Magic in the Dwight Howard/ Andrew Bynum trade...
He's been out of the NBA for 2 years...
So let's draft more big men with injuries...
Norlens
Embiid
Let's wreck the lives of potentially very good players becuase we don't have the right people around them...
Okafor is a recovering drunk...on the bench...
Ben Simmons breaks his foot after gaining 30 lbs...
Bunch of dummies...

PurpleLynch
11-07-2016, 07:47 PM
If Phillyfan is happy with losing and collecting picks that don't fit...Then they deserve what they're getting...
This franchise is still purposely tanking...They don't know how to scout...They don't know what kind of team they're building...There's no vision...
They don't spend money to improve...and they stockpile a bunch of picks with no exact purpose...
Ben Simmons can't carry this team...he's not a scorer...and who the hell is he going to pass it to?...
They had a great opporunity to build on the summer momentum and they added nobody worth a mention...
They traded away one of their best defenders in Jerami Grant for another Power forward???...
They are a hot mess..
Trust the Process...
Mo Speights
Evan Turner
Jrue Holiday
Nikola Vucevic
Mo Harkless
KJ McDaniels
Willy Hermagomez

And as a Lakerfan, your frontoffice got r*ped by the Lakers and Magic in the Dwight Howard/ Andrew Bynum trade...
Norlens
Embiid
Let's wreck the lives of potentially very good players becuase we don't have the right people around them...
Bunch of dummies...

Oh my goodness,Rocco,stick to the Lakers forum,really.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 08:02 PM
They are a hot mess..
Trust the Process...
Mo Speights
Evan Turner
Jrue Holiday
Nikola Vucevic
Mo Harkless
KJ McDaniels
Willy Hermagomez

Norlens
Embiid
Bunch of dummies...

You forgot Iggs, Lou, MCW, etc. Yea, philly should be stacked with talent.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-08-2016, 09:56 PM

If only scouting and drafting the best player at the position you have is soooo easy. :rolleyes:

If I asked all 30 GMs what pick they want in a draft if they were a lottery team, 100% would say the 1st pick.

sjbirds
11-09-2016, 01:26 AM
They are a hot mess..
Trust the Process...
Mo Speights
Evan Turner
Jrue Holiday
Nikola Vucevic
Mo Harkless
KJ McDaniels
Willy Hermagomez

Norlens
Embiid
Bunch of dummies...
How did that trade work for the Lakers? You're a joke and pretty much don't know what you're talking about

Mave1002
11-09-2016, 06:00 AM
Joel Embiid ‏@JoelEmbiid 2h2 hours ago
Well America is tanking!!! All we can do is Trust The Process...

Just made a mockery of practically everything. Feel sorry for the player, the team and the current state of the nation.

More-Than-Most
11-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Joel Embiid ‏@JoelEmbiid 2h2 hours ago
Well America is tanking!!! All we can do is Trust The Process...

Just made a mockery of practically everything. Feel sorry for the player, the team and the current state of the nation.

:laugh:

This right here is why I pray Embiid reaches his potential... He will be comedy gold forever

Scoots
11-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Such a bizarre night.

PhillyFaninLA
11-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Yeah Sam Hinkie intentionally didn't sign vets in order to help the tank and hopefully strike gold on d league talent/2nd rounders.

The Colangelo's brought in some vets this year with Sergio Rodriguez (who has been playing pretty well so far), Gerald Henderson (thinks he's Kobe, already starting to irk me), Jerryd Bayless (Injured, but is the type of combo guard we sorely need), and trading for Ilyasova (solid Euro vet, already put up a couple good performances thus far).

I'd say we're set in the vet department.

Our biggest issue is our top 4 players: Embiid, Simmons, Okafor, and Noel.

JoJo and Ok are still on a minutes restriction, Noel is being a baby and voluntarily opted for minor knee surgery, and Simmons is out until January.

Without the impact of those 4 players the rest of our roster is pretty weak. We were bound to struggle. I'm happy that the team is competing against good teams, but with so many new faces and young players there had to be a feeling out process/lot's of L's for the first month at least.

and Bayless is out, that is a decent piece