PDA

View Full Version : ROY Watch

warfelg
10-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Yea it's early, but never too early to start tracking rookie's and ROY candidates.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-30-2016, 06:52 PM
What an appropriate thread 2 games in!

Aust
10-30-2016, 09:32 PM
It's going to be Embiid unless Simmons goes off when he returns. Technically speaking, I think it's a little ridiculous to consider Embiid a rookie. He's not your typical rookie.

warfelg
10-30-2016, 10:02 PM
It's going to be Embiid unless Simmons goes off when he returns. Technically speaking, I think it's a little ridiculous to consider Embiid a rookie. He's not your typical rookie.

He isn't. But that's the NBA rules for you.

A popular ROY pick, Kris Dunn:
Averaging 17.5 MPG.

Per 36 numbers:
12.3 points, 5.1 Ast, 5.1 Reb, 1.0 Steals, 2.1 Tov, 15.4 usage percent

Another popular rookie, Jaylen Brown:
18.5 MPG

Per 36 Numbers:
15.7 points, 1.3 Ast, 2.6 reb, 0.7 Steals, 1.3 TOV, 17.6 usage percent

Forever35
10-31-2016, 09:46 AM
He isn't. But that's the NBA rules for you.

A popular ROY pick, Kris Dunn:
Averaging 17.5 MPG.

Per 36 numbers:
12.3 points, 5.1 Ast, 5.1 Reb, 1.0 Steals, 2.1 Tov, 15.4 usage percent

Another popular rookie, Jaylen Brown:
18.5 MPG

Per 36 Numbers:
15.7 points, 1.3 Ast, 2.6 reb, 0.7 Steals, 1.3 TOV, 17.6 usage percent

I'm surprised Dunn isn't getting more time considering Minny is a young team anyway... Thibs has shown his trust in only starters though giving them heavy minutes...

As for JB, I think his minutes will increase as the year goes on especially if Stevens sticks to keeping starters minutes down to a reasonable level...

As for Embiid, his question mark will be his health...

warfelg
10-31-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm surprised Dunn isn't getting more time considering Minny is a young team anyway... Thibs has shown his trust in only starters though giving them heavy minutes...

As for JB, I think his minutes will increase as the year goes on especially if Stevens sticks to keeping starters minutes down to a reasonable level...

As for Embiid, his question mark will be his health...

If you know Thibs, this is t a shock. He leans on starters. Doesn't play rookies a whole lot.

JB - didn't most his minutes come with that Brooklyn game?

Burkey3472
10-31-2016, 10:08 AM
If Embiid plays 65+ games, he will probably run away with it. There are other rookies that could make a case but will they get the necessary playing time to justify being ROY.

Giannis94
10-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Sticky this thread and make it a season long thread?

hugepatsfan
10-31-2016, 10:57 AM
If you know Thibs, this is t a shock. He leans on starters. Doesn't play rookies a whole lot.

JB - didn't most his minutes come with that Brooklyn game?

No. He played 19 vs. BRK, 20 vs. CHI, 15 vs. CHA

warfelg
10-31-2016, 11:00 AM
No. He played 19 vs. BRK, 20 vs. CHI, 15 vs. CHA

Interesting. Felt like he played more against Brooklyn.

KnicksorBust
10-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Embiid shoots 3's. Towns shoot 3's. Cousin's shoots 3's. What is up with these modern C's?

IndyRealist
10-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Embiid shoots 3's. Towns shoot 3's. Cousin's shoots 3's. What is up with these modern C's?

Because C's on defense will give that to you, so they can stay at the rim. Teams are only putting one shotblocker on the floor, and if he has to come out to 23ft the lane is wide open. If he stays to protect the rim, 7 footers can launch 3s all day.

Pacers ran 3pt shots for Myles Turner twice in game one. Wide open both times.

D-Leethal
10-31-2016, 12:53 PM
I wonder if it would be too early for a ROY watch thread if Embiid wasn't the lead guy.

tredigs
10-31-2016, 01:37 PM
I wonder if it would be too early for a ROY watch thread if Embiid wasn't the lead guy.

Lol well this site has never had a ROY watch thread (because who cares), and with the current participation level we haven't been able to hold an MVP watch thread, so.

But I still like all "watch" threads. My sleeper pick was Buddy Hield, who I have to say I am shocked at his incompetence. This was a 4 year college player and a prolific scorer who looked to be NBA ready as a competent scoring threat (for a scrub team that is desperate for points at least). But, he has been a disaster in the early going. It's tough to choose Embiid as I still can't fully buy into the idea that he will stay on the court for more than 50 games, but damn I sure hope he does. He's clearly far and away the best of the class (well, the best 3rd year player in the class).

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2016, 12:00 AM
What an appropriate thread 2 games in!

Gotta start sometime ;-)

Heediot
11-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Lol well this site has never had a ROY watch thread (because who cares), and with the current participation level we haven't been able to hold an MVP watch thread, so.

But I still like all "watch" threads. My sleeper pick was Buddy Hield, who I have to say I am shocked at his incompetence. This was a 4 year college player and a prolific scorer who looked to be NBA ready as a competent scoring threat (for a scrub team that is desperate for points at least). But, he has been a disaster in the early going. It's tough to choose Embiid as I still can't fully buy into the idea that he will stay on the court for more than 50 games, but damn I sure hope he does. He's clearly far and away the best of the class (well, the best 3rd year player in the class).

Yeah, I thought he was supposed to be a safe pick with a high floor. After watching him in Summer League though, I am not surprised at his struggles now. His lack of being able to beat nba guys off the dribble is catching up. His skill-set is limited besides his shooting.

I think Kris Dunn may have a chance now that Rubio is injured. If he can prove his worth now, Thibs may give him more trust and minutes going forward.

Heediot
11-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Easy on too much Embiid hype. I like the guy but he is a 21-22 YO rookie (relatively old in todays game for a rook). When comparing him to towns, Towns did what he did as a 19-20 YO. He has all the potential in the world but let's keep it cool on the guy. I guess sixers fans are really excited after the cluster**** and tanking years they've been through with all the dleaguers coming in and out.

warfelg
11-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Kris Dunn 1st start:
10 pts (3-7), 6 Ast, 4 Reb.

Oefarmy2005
11-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Kris Dunn 1st start:
10 pts (3-7), 6 Ast, 4 Reb.

5 stls, 2-3 from deep. Wolves played a D-league lineup though, so take that with a grain of salt.

warfelg
11-02-2016, 10:23 AM
5 stls, 2-3 from deep. Wolves played a D-league lineup though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Is it odd to say I was but wasn't impressed?

Giannis94
11-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Brogden!

Hawkeye15
11-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Is it odd to say I was but wasn't impressed?

defensively, Dunn is miles ahead of most rookies. Offensively, he has a long ways to go.

warfelg
11-02-2016, 03:47 PM
defensively, Dunn is miles ahead of most rookies. Offensively, he has a long ways to go.

That's why I was but wasn't impressed. His defense was awesome. Offensively he struggled at times. Would have liked to see him against Conley though. I think steal totals would have been much lower. TOs a little higher.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2016, 04:03 PM
That's why I was but wasn't impressed. His defense was awesome. Offensively he struggled at times. Would have liked to see him against Conley though. I think steal totals would have been much lower. TOs a little higher.

hardest position to learn. While I like Dunn, the dude is older than 3 of our starters, even as a rookie, so of course he is more physically mature. We played a D-League team last night. Love him defensively, but I have concerns offensively. Though, he can handle and finish, and we all know the league caters to those types.

I am just not optimistic he should play over Rubio anytime soon. Even though Rubio looked like hot garbage the first 2 games.

Giannis94
11-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Thon Maker on pace for 300 points per 36. When will he start getting some love.

Gibby23
11-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Thon Maker on pace for 300 points per 36. When will he start getting some love.

No he isn't.

Giannis94
11-04-2016, 04:59 PM
No he isn't.

Woops. My bad. Bad calculation. 6 pts in 1.5 minutes *24= 144 Points Per 36 and a 93.77 PER. I believe he can sustain this pace. You are a fool if you think otherwise.

Gibby23
11-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Woops. My bad. Bad calculation. 6 pts in 1.5 minutes *24= 144 Points Per 36 and a 93.77 PER. I believe he can sustain this pace. You are a fool if you think otherwise.

Wrong again. It is 72 per 36. He got 6 points in 1.5 minutes per game in 2 games combined. 6*12=72

IndyRealist
11-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Nvmd.

More-Than-Most
11-04-2016, 08:58 PM

why? Curious on your stand point... All off season all I heard from people were he sucks and has shown nothing and he is yet to play against anyone at all... This is a guy who has not played basketball in 2 years where is other rookies are coming in playing against collage level athletes. In my opinion he is or should be at a considerable disadvantage no?

Aust
11-04-2016, 11:49 PM
why? Curious on your stand point... All off season all I heard from people were he sucks and has shown nothing and he is yet to play against anyone at all... This is a guy who has not played basketball in 2 years where is other rookies are coming in playing against collage level athletes. In my opinion he is or should be at a considerable disadvantage no?

He gets to work out and be around NBA trainers, coaches, players. I'm not going to explain the massive benefits that has. He isn't gaining that hulk body by playing some more college ball.
Honestly, I'm really just whining/salty how Blake Griffin misses one year, plays the next and gets ROTY. Embiid misses two and will prob get ROTY. Randle plays 14 minutes in the season opener, not a rookie.... Like, really....

Not saying he would have won ROTY last season, he obviously wouldn't or even been close.

Blink
11-05-2016, 03:09 AM
He gets to work out and be around NBA trainers, coaches, players. I'm not going to explain the massive benefits that has. He isn't gaining that hulk body by playing some more college ball.
Honestly, I'm really just whining/salty how Blake Griffin misses one year, plays the next and gets ROTY. Embiid misses two and will prob get ROTY. Randle plays 14 minutes in the season opener, not a rookie.... Like, really....

Not saying he would have won ROTY last season, he obviously wouldn't or even been close.

100% agree.

Like in Randle case..Oh you played sorry...missed your chance.

Blake and Joel ohh it wasn't your fault you are still eligible next year.

Coaches can beef these kids up in a year let alone 2 years.

Can not believe this is a rule. Then again I'm not even a ROY award fan. But it's the beginning to building a brand so from that aspect I understand.

More-Than-Most
11-05-2016, 03:46 AM
100% agree.

Like in Randle case..Oh you played sorry...missed your chance.

Blake and Joel ohh it wasn't your fault you are still eligible next year.

Coaches can beef these kids up in a year let alone 2 years.

Can not believe this is a rule. Then again I'm not even a ROY award fan. But it's the beginning to building a brand so from that aspect I understand.

I just dont get it... Building a guy up does not equate to basketball shape period and we have seen it a million times.. Give me a guy like Simmons/Ingram/Dunn who played in March and then were drafted while practicing and played in summer league in june/july and is in game shape before the season starts over a guy like Embiid who was injured for 2 years.... You are underrating size and shape with actual game shape which is 2 very very different things... You can be the most fit person in the world but once you step on the basketball court and are running up and down the court for 30 plus minutes and banging with other guys as big or bigger and stronger than you and you will quickly look like a 300 pound out of shape person.

Game shape is huge. Hell Embiid didnt even have summer league play and played 12 minutes in preseason lol... You think that is easier to do then what guys that are healthy entering the season are doing?

Giannis94
11-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Wrong again. It is 72 per 36. He got 6 points in 1.5 minutes per game in 2 games combined. 6*12=72

still. Who else is on that pace? ROTY and MVP in the making. This year.

LoveCaliFan
11-05-2016, 12:06 PM
B.I. will be...Mark it down!!!! 12-14ppg/ 4rpg/ 3apg/ 1spg/ 1bpg/ 44%fg/ 35% 3's...by the end of the year people will be riding his you know what....

TheDish87
11-05-2016, 04:55 PM
lol why cant you accept this is a development year for Ingram? Do you really care if he wins ROY? He has very little chance at winning it and already waaaaay behind Embiid who is playing about the same mins

LoveCaliFan
11-06-2016, 04:14 PM
lol why cant you accept this is a development year for Ingram? Do you really care if he wins ROY? He has very little chance at winning it and already waaaaay behind Embiid who is playing about the same mins

Yea, okay. 6 games & you saying he way behind...lmao..

TheDish87
11-06-2016, 04:41 PM
do i really need to do a stat comparison? lol we both know you dont want that. When your boy scores double digits in a game come back and try again.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 12:07 PM
do i really need to do a stat comparison? lol we both know you dont want that. When your boy scores double digits in a game come back and try again.

But Ingram is stepping up his aggressiveness. It's only a matter of time before those shots start falling. Ingram has scored double digits, i believe twice if i remember correctly. When your team get 3 wins, the you can holla at me homie...lmao.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 12:28 PM
what does team wins have to do with ROY lol and sorry Ingram playing more aggressive means jack **** in this dicsussion. I love the kid, im a big fan and think he will be a star but youre just clueless. Would you care to sig bet he doesnt finish top 3 in ROY voting?

ManRam
11-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Embiid will run away with it, barring another injury (noooo!!!). Don't really invision this getting interesting or competitive at all.

KnicksorBust
11-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Is winning ROY really a big deal? More than 90% of hall of famers didn't win ROY.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 12:38 PM
what does team wins have to do with ROY lol and sorry Ingram playing more aggressive means jack **** in this dicsussion. I love the kid, im a big fan and think he will be a star but youre just clueless. Would you care to sig bet he doesnt finish top 3 in ROY voting?

Yep, deal! I also bet he'll finish the year as a 12-14ppg scorer.

SeoulBeatz
11-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Is winning ROY really a big deal? More than 90% of hall of famers didn't win ROY.

It is kind of meaningless. MCW won it so.... yeah.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 12:41 PM

We can bet Russell as a 20ppg scorer too.

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Yep, deal! I also bet he'll finish the year as a 12-14ppg scorer.

lol deal. too easy. i imagine you go into hide by the end of the season anyway when everything you claimed ends up wrong

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 12:46 PM

nah bcuz 20 is meaningless when you shoot below 40% to reach it. no one cares about an inefficient gunner scoring 20 a night on 18 shots

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 02:37 PM
nah bcuz 20 is meaningless when you shoot below 40% to reach it. no one cares about an inefficient gunner scoring 20 a night on 18 shots

That's what i thought. Runnin like a.....You're all talk as i expected. At least 85-90% of my opinions will play out to be right. You all just hoping cuz some already hiding about when i said we'll win 43-45 games and be a 5th-8th seed. It's 7 games in, but i def see us going to playoffs if healthy. You wanna bet that or you runnin from that too? Since you all know so much..

TheDish87
11-07-2016, 02:39 PM
lol are you gonna be impressed if he gets to 20 on 35-40% shooting? you'e also not making the playoffs, the homerism is unreal. Im gonna take a break from you for a while bcuz you cant handle being wrong or someone disagreeing with you.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 02:57 PM
lol are you gonna be impressed if he gets to 20 on 35-40% shooting? you'e also not making the playoffs, the homerism is unreal. Im gonna take a break from you for a while bcuz you cant handle being wrong or someone disagreeing with you.

I'm not wrong and will not be wrong. You all just talk out your arse and have no knowledge of what you talk about. I don't talk unless i know for a fact. You can say i'm being quick to judge, but i've always been instinctive through observing and doing that, i just know. I'm no prophet or psychic, but i always make sure i know before speaking. Predictions are from observing and that's what i do. Then comes people like you who set out to attack observations and opinions. So i attack back. I can handle being wrong, but i'm going to be right.

tredigs
11-07-2016, 03:02 PM
I'm not wrong and will not be wrong. You all just talk out your arse and have no knowledge of what you talk about. I don't talk unless i know for a fact. You can say i'm being quick to judge, but i've always been instinctive through observing and doing that, i just know. I'm no prophet or psychic, but i always make sure i know before speaking. Predictions are from observing and that's what i do. Then comes people like you who set out to attack observations and opinions. So i attack back. I can handle being wrong, but i'm going to be right.
No, you are just wrong. The Lakers will not win 45 games or be a 5th seed, that is for damn sure. I see now why the other Lakers posters disassociate with you.

IndyRealist
11-07-2016, 03:13 PM

You don't know for a fact. Heaven forbid, he could tear an ACL tomorrow. You may have a strong opinion based on your observations but that doesn't make it fact.

tp13baby
11-07-2016, 03:30 PM

He is shooting at an Emmanuel Mudiay pace right now. He stays on that tract, he will be very expendable by the deadline.

Gibby23
11-07-2016, 03:33 PM
He is shooting at an Emmanuel Mudiay pace right now. He stays on that tract, he will be very expendable by the deadline.

Probably not. He is doing other things well and still feeling out a new system and findinag a balance of when to be aggressive or when to facilitate. He can shoot, I don't think anybody is worried about that 7 games in. Even last year, it took him a while to figure it out and adjust, he should start knocking down some shots at a more consistent clip.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 03:37 PM
You don't know for a fact. Heaven forbid, he could tear an ACL tomorrow. You may have a strong opinion based on your observations but that doesn't make it fact.

Yea, okay. Seems you need acts, cuz heaven isn't real. So you were saying?

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 03:41 PM
No, you are just wrong. The Lakers will not win 45 games or be a 5th seed, that is for damn sure. I see now why the other Lakers posters disassociate with you.

Yea, cuz i know facts through observations. You all just talk. But it's your opinion and there's my opinion, i could care less who i talk too. Snoopy!

tp13baby
11-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Probably not. He is doing other things well and still feeling out a new system and findinag a balance of when to be aggressive or when to facilitate. He can shoot, I don't think anybody is worried about that 7 games in. Even last year, it took him a while to figure it out and adjust, he should start knocking down some shots at a more consistent clip.

I agree probably not, and I doubt he stays at the clip he is now.

Personally believe ROY in this order.
Embiid
Simmons
Kris Dunn

andy2518
11-07-2016, 05:29 PM
A meaningless award really.

tredigs
11-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Yea, cuz i know facts through observations. You all just talk. But it's your opinion and there's my opinion, i could care less who i talk too. Snoopy!

Lol well I'd wager that I back up my opinions (with cash) at a larger and more frequent rate than virtually every poster on this site, especially you. Of course that is in reality. What else are you supposed to do on this site than "just talk". It's a forum. But bear in mind, all your opinions are on record.

More-Than-Most
11-07-2016, 08:46 PM
I wouldnt say the award is meaningless... I would say it depends on the year really... Last year you had several top tier talents going at it but Towns was just flat out the run away... MCW won the award when the draft was sad... It depends on the draft really

Aust
11-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Embiid will run away with it, barring another injury (noooo!!!). Don't really invision this getting interesting or competitive at all.

I think his injured teammate could give him a run for his money whenever he comes back, but yeah, he'll prob run away with it.

Not a huge deal. I didn't have to include that ROY stuff, what I was mainly talking about is the 14 minutes meaning you aren't considered a rookie anymore. So when people would bring up last season him being in year 2, it didn't feel completely accurate.

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Lol well I'd wager that I back up my opinions (with cash) at a larger and more frequent rate than virtually every poster on this site, especially you. Of course that is in reality. What else are you supposed to do on this site than "just talk". It's a forum. But bear in mind, all your opinions are on record.

My opinions on record does not matter to me. I own up to anything i'm wrong with. But i'm no prophet. I'm just great at observing real and unreal. Meaning, i know fools gold when i see it.

tredigs
11-07-2016, 09:09 PM
My opinions on record does not matter to me. I own up to anything i'm wrong with. But i'm no prophet. I'm just great at observing real and unreal. Meaning, i know fools gold when i see it.

You should use your sig down there to list your top-5 proclamations of the season. Keep it on record.

More-Than-Most
11-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Last years draft pool was actually good its just Towns blew past everyone else... OKA/Russ/Porz are all going to be around for a long time... How they evolve is to be determined but that isnt a weak draft by any means its just towns was ridiculous... This year It is a bit unfair because in terms of potential I dont think anyone from this draft is close to Embiid... Simmons is hurt and ingram isnt getting the minutes and is really raw.... Dunn who was my 3rd favorite from this draft might be the only challenge really.... So winning ROY this year will likely be a run away.

tredigs
11-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Buddy Hield was my ROY choice so shows what I know.

That said, I only didn't side with Embiid because he was the favorite and I still couldn't buy into him staying healthy (happily enjoying that I might be wrong there).

LoveCaliFan
11-07-2016, 10:26 PM
You should use your sig down there to list your top-5 proclamations of the season. Keep it on record.

Nah.

tredigs
11-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Nah.

Yeah, why bother holding yourself accountable when you can just be a random/new nobody poster and espouse prophecy amirite?

LoveCaliFan
11-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Yeah, why bother holding yourself accountable when you can just be a random/new nobody poster and espouse prophecy amirite?

Nah, i'll just repost them when time comes..I never run or hide. I have no fear being wrong whenever i am and i always own up to my wrongs, if i'm ever wrong. I'm not the one to renig.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Bucks Brogdon #5 so far. Shocked he's ranked that high for a second round pick. But he has a high basketball iq. Plays like Andre Miller as well. Kinda looks like him as well.

Heediot
11-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Jamal Murray has been coming on strong. I don't think he'll win ROY, but he may make the all rookie first team, if he continues his progress, even though he is playing limited minutes off the bench.

TheDish87
11-23-2016, 09:36 AM
ROY is already over. everyone else i just competing for the first and 2nd teams