PDA

View Full Version : NBA Team Cuts Thread

latinofire21
10-21-2016, 03:58 PM
I haven't really been watching any preseason games other than the Knicks but to me it looks like the Celtics and the Knicks are going to have to make some cuts to players who should be in the league right now. Does the team you follow have a similar situation? If so who do you believe is on the bubble and what distinguishes them to be able to compete at the NBA level.

Knicks Waived Prospects

Chasson Randle - I think he makes the team if he didn't get the orbital bone fracture during the preseason. Whoever takes a flier on him will be pleasantly surprised.

JP TOKOTO - I liked his defensive upside. At times I got him confused with Courtney Lee. I think he could be an end of the bench player for a team just looking for a real good defensive practice player.

MJNetsIsles
10-21-2016, 08:03 PM
I follow the Nets and we just built a D league team in Long Island.
So anyone who they cut so far will be playing there.
Guys like Chase Budinger, Jorge Gutierrez, Beau Beech and Egidijus Mockevicius

Someone on the bubble of being cut is Yogi Ferrell. He is an undrafted player and made bad mistakes against your Knicks late, which show me he still needs some development. He would likely go to Long Island as well.

MJNetsIsles
10-21-2016, 08:24 PM
The Nets have cut Yogi Ferrell

kobe4thewinbang
10-22-2016, 04:32 PM
I rely on hoopsrumors.com, hoopshype.com and rotoworld.com to keep updated. I'm wondering who the Lakers cut, Thomas Robinson or Yi Jianlian. Some people say Yi could be traded with his mysterious contract, but he's struggled since Olympics and Robinson is 'a dime a dozen' as a scrappy athletic big, but I like those kinds of guys on the court but other people say Yi can space the floor and actually shoot unlike Robinson. So I hope Robinson wins out, but most surprising to me is the resurgence of Nick Young. Yes, preseason, but that guy has really turned it around despite all predictions over the summer that he'd be gone first. I think he could flourish under Coach Walton.

So, yeah, lots of cuts still coming. I just redid my 2K roster to update the rosters, haha. Some coaches and front offices loathe the cutting process, but others like Carlisle in Dallas use it to establish and experiment with the rotation.

IndyRealist
10-22-2016, 06:30 PM
I rely on hoopsrumors.com, hoopshype.com and rotoworld.com to keep updated. I'm wondering who the Lakers cut, Thomas Robinson or Yi Jianlian. Some people say Yi could be traded with his mysterious contract, but he's struggled since Olympics and Robinson is 'a dime a dozen' as a scrappy athletic big, but I like those kinds of guys on the court but other people say Yi can space the floor and actually shoot unlike Robinson. So I hope Robinson wins out, but most surprising to me is the resurgence of Nick Young. Yes, preseason, but that guy has really turned it around despite all predictions over the summer that he'd be gone first. I think he could flourish under Coach Walton.

So, yeah, lots of cuts still coming. I just redid my 2K roster to update the rosters, haha. Some coaches and front offices loathe the cutting process, but others like Carlisle in Dallas use it to establish and experiment with the rotation.
I like Robinson even though he doesn't really excel at anything. His evaluation suffers because he was drafted so high and not living up to it. But there are dozens of guys warming benches that he is simply better than.

For the Pacers, I would say Rakeem Christmas is on the bubble. He's got decent rim protection skills and eats up a lot of space rebounding, but there's no chance he can defend PnR, and the Pacers are switching on everything.

Julyan Stone is a lock to get cut, and I'm not sure why they haven't already.

Scoots
10-24-2016, 09:33 AM
JaVale McGee made the Warriors final 15. Doomed.

Thomas Robinson has the ability but seems to be missing the drive. Neither he no Yi should be in the NBA. Nick Young ... lost his woman, found his game.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Yi already asked to be released. He didn't like the situation.

still1ballin
10-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Yi already asked to be released. He didn't like the situation.

Nah, he knew he was gonna get cut, so he was just trying to save face.

HeartOfStarks
10-24-2016, 05:25 PM
RJ Hunter just got cut by Celts, he looked solid in preseason against the Knicks, wonder who will pick him up.

Also I believe Archie Goodwin got waived?

tp13baby
10-24-2016, 10:27 PM
Denver Denver has no D league and released Toupane. He will find a team. Very very good defender and won most improved in the d league last year. Smart player, just flawed offensively.

SupremeNY.
10-24-2016, 10:49 PM
I'll gladly cut somebody to get RJ hunter or Archie Goodwin onto this team. Trade holiday away to make room for them.

kobe4thewinbang
10-25-2016, 12:21 AM
LAKERS CUT YI JIANLIAN

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671575-yi-jianlian-to-be-released-by-lakers-latest-comments-and-reaction?yptr=yahoo

Well, well, well. Looks like Lakers made the smart move here, and I'm surprised.
I thought Yi could do well, but I'd rather have Robinson like I said, so glad with the choice.
Hope LA isn't on the hook for too much of that contract, though. Guess it doesn't matter too much with the cap hike.

kobe4thewinbang
10-25-2016, 12:37 AM
Just in, Lakers shockingly cut Anthony Brown. Surprised by that for sure. Thought he might improve under Walton. Maybe D-League?

BKLYNpigeon
10-25-2016, 01:08 AM
RJ Hunter is a pretty good player, and very good 3 point shooter. He's a poor mans Klay Thompson. Im sure his phone is ringing off the hook.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-25-2016, 08:48 AM
So how is the waiver wire order? Since no games played it cant be based on record. So it goes by draft order till games played? Also how does the league have it set up for when your on the clock? Is it like first hour of that day for first team? Or is it less time per team to decide then they call league office and say pass on each guy?

warfelg
10-25-2016, 09:03 AM
So how is the waiver wire order? Since no games played it cant be based on record. So it goes by draft order till games played? Also how does the league have it set up for when your on the clock? Is it like first hour of that day for first team? Or is it less time per team to decide then they call league office and say pass on each guy?

Last years record. Philly-LA-Brklyn 1-2-3.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-26-2016, 08:33 AM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/10/teams-with-flexibility-for-waiver-claims.html

Article talks about waiver claims. Also mentions TPE's used to claim a player. Mentions teams with TPEs that can land Hunter or Goodwin.