PDA

View Full Version : Predict the East and the West

Tg11
10-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Well here are my predictions for who ends up where in the East and the West for this season

East

1- Cleveland Cavaliers (*conference winners)
2- Indiana Pacers
3- Toronto Raptors
4- Boston Celtics
5- Detroit Pistons
6- Chicago Bulls
7- Atlanta Hawks
8- New York Knicks
9- Orlando Magic
10- Washington Wizards
11- Charlotte Hornets
12- Miami Heat
13- Philadelphia 76ers
14- Milwaukee Bucks
15- Brooklyn Nets

West

1- Golden State Warriors (*conference winners)
2- San Antonio Spurs
3- Los Angeles Clippers
4- Memphis Grizzlies
5- Oklahoma City Thunder
6- Portland Trail Blazers
7- Houston Rockets
8- Dallas Mavericks
9- New Orleans Pelicans
10- Minnesota Timberwolves
11- Utah Jazz
12- Denver Nuggets
13- Los Angeles Lakers
14- Phoenix Suns
15- Sacramento Kings

Captain Moroni
10-22-2016, 08:29 AM
East

1. Cleveland
2. Toronto
3. Boston
4. Atlanta
5. Detroit
6. New York
7. Washington
8. Indiana

Bulls will not make the playoffs

R!kSm!tz
10-22-2016, 10:36 AM
East:

1. Cleveland
2. Raptors
3. Bulls
4. Celtics
5. Pacers
6. Hawks
7. Hornets
8. Detroit

Knicks will not make the playoffs

West:

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Grizzlies
5. Thunder
6. Blazers
7. Jazz
8. Rockets

Timberwolves and Pelicans just miss it

CousinsEvansDUO
10-22-2016, 10:47 AM
West.

Warriors
Clippers
Spurs
Rockets
Kings
Timberwolves
Jazz
Mavericks

East.

Cavs
Bulls
Knicks
Pacers
Raptors
Pistons
Magic
Wizards

R!kSm!tz
10-22-2016, 11:13 AM
West.

Warriors
Clippers
Spurs
Rockets
Kings
Timberwolves
Jazz
Mavericks

East.

Cavs
Bulls
Knicks
Pacers
Raptors
Pistons
Magic
Wizards

I hope your East rankings are right because that means the Bulls are about to blow past the Magic and Knicks to get the the ECF but, no Celtics or Hawks? I would say the Celtics are easily a lock for the playoffs.

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2016, 01:09 PM
East:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Boston Celtics
3. Toronto Raptors
4. Atlanta Hawks
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Detroit Pistons
7. Chicago Bulls
8. Charlotte Hornets
9. New York Knicks
10. Milwaukee Bucks
11. Washington Wizards
12. Orlando Magic
13. Miami Heat
14. Philadelphia 76ers
15. Brooklyn Nets

West:
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Memphis Grizzlies
5. Portland Trail Blazers
6. Utah Jazz
7. Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Dallas Mavericks
9. Houston Rockets
10. Minnesota Timberwolves
11. New Orleans Pelicans
12. Denver Nuggets
13. Phoenix Suns
14. Los Angeles Lakers
15. Sacramento Kings

Lucky.
10-22-2016, 01:32 PM
East:

Cleveland
Boston
Indiana
Toronto
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Detroit

West:

Golden State
Los Angeles (C)
San Antonio
Memphis
Portland
Utah
Dallas
Minnesota

mightybosstone
10-22-2016, 01:43 PM
East:

Cleveland
Boston
Indiana
Toronto
Charlotte
Atlanta
New York
Detroit

West:

Golden State
Los Angeles (C)
San Antonio
Memphis
Portland
Utah
Dallas
Minnesota
Lucky, if Utah, Dallas and Minnesota get into the postseason over the Rockets, I'll quit PSD forever.

mightybosstone
10-22-2016, 01:48 PM
EAST
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Detroit
6. Atlanta
7. Milwaukee
8. Washington
Just outside:
9. Chicago
10. New York
11. Orlando

WEST
1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. LA Clippers
4. Portland
5. Houston
6. Utah
7. OKC
8. Memphis
Just outside:
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. New Orleans

Sadds The Gr8
10-22-2016, 01:56 PM
1 cle
2 bos
3 tor
4 det
5 ind
6 atl
7 was
8 cha

1 gsw
2 lac
3 sas
4 uta
5 por
6 hou
7 mem
8 min

Lucky.
10-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Lucky, if Utah, Dallas and Minnesota get into the postseason over the Rockets, I'll quit PSD forever.

Haha.

I've been high on Utah for a while. I think they'll definitely get in.

Dallas will be there. They're not the popular pick, but they'll get in. Not saying they'll be anymore than a 7th/8th seed, or that they'll do anything once they get there, but they'll be there. They have enough talent to go along with their coach to sneak in, as they usually do.

I have to admit, I put Minnesota there mostly because that's what I want to see. If I'm being honest I would probably have them as a 9th/10th seed. That 8th seed will go to OKC/HOU more than likely.

R!kSm!tz
10-22-2016, 02:53 PM
If Chicago doesn't make the playoffs I'll delete my account.

Pfeifer
10-22-2016, 03:20 PM
The east is such a toss up. After the Cavs there are a few teams that are very close. Toronto, Boston, Indiana amd possibly Detroit, Atlanta and even Washingto could have a big year. New York and Chicago are major wild cards IMO so they could be great or they could stink. Just a real intrigue to this season for me in the east.

Tg11
10-22-2016, 03:37 PM
The East will be as close probably as it has ever been in a while because of how competitive it is this year

nycericanguy
10-22-2016, 03:38 PM
The east is such a toss up. After the Cavs there are a few teams that are very close. Toronto, Boston, Indiana amd possibly Detroit, Atlanta and even Washingto could have a big year. New York and Chicago are major wild cards IMO so they could be great or they could stink. Just a real intrigue to this season for me in the east.

agreed... after CLE, there is very little talent level difference between TOR and the #9 or 10 seed like MIL. Talent wise very little difference. TOR will be good though because they have great chemistry and a stable, veteran team and their main players are not injury prone.

After that, it really all comes down to who stays healthy and clicks, because outside of PHI, BOS and maybe MIA, the rest of the teams have the talent & pieces.

Wouldn't be surprised if CLE was the only 50 win team in the east. everyone else is going to beat up on each other all season long.

Tg11
10-22-2016, 03:41 PM
The East I am much more hyped about but also the West will obviously see the Warriors taking over like is that even a question

R!kSm!tz
10-22-2016, 03:53 PM
agreed... after CLE, there is very little talent level difference between TOR and the #9 or 10 seed like MIL. Talent wise very little difference. TOR will be good though because they have great chemistry and a stable, veteran team and their main players are not injury prone.

After that, it really all comes down to who stays healthy and clicks, because outside of PHI, BOS and maybe MIA, the rest of the teams have the talent & pieces.

Wouldn't be surprised if CLE was the only 50 win team in the east. everyone else is going to beat up on each other all season long.

The east will be better than the west again. Why do you have Boston in the Sixers and Heat conversation lol?

Tg11
10-22-2016, 03:57 PM
I know right my Celtics we have the talent and not to mention we have made the playoffs back to back years and we continue to get better under Stevens

nycericanguy
10-22-2016, 03:58 PM
The east will be better than the west again. Why do you have Boston in the Sixers and Heat conversation lol?

lol, oh i meant BK

HeartOfStarks
10-22-2016, 04:35 PM
East:

1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Atlanta
5. Indiana
6. Knicks
7. Chicago
8. Detroit

9. Orlando
10. Washington
11. Charlotte
12. Milwaukee
13. Sixers
14. Miami
15. Brooklyn

West:

1. Golden State
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Memphis
5. OKC
6. Portland
7. Houston
8. Dallas

9. Utah
10. Wolves
11. Denver
12. Lakers
13. New Orleans
14. Kings
15. Suns

HeartOfStarks
10-22-2016, 04:37 PM
^^^ in both conferences though I wouldn't be surprised at all to see any of my 9/10/11 seeds to knock out 1 or more of the 6/7/8 seeds.

mightybosstone
10-22-2016, 06:19 PM

You've been here for all of one month. Not exactly some huge loss for you or for PSD.

R!kSm!tz
10-22-2016, 06:51 PM
You've been here for all of one month. Not exactly some huge loss for you or for PSD.

You're nothing special yourself though.

xxplayerxx23
10-23-2016, 01:19 AM
EAST
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Detroit
6. Atlanta
7. Milwaukee
8. Washington
Just outside:
9. Chicago
10. New York
11. Orlando

WEST
1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. LA Clippers
4. Portland
5. Houston
6. Utah
7. OKC
8. Memphis
Just outside:
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. New Orleans

If Bucks make it over the Knicks I'll quit psd forever

R!kSm!tz
10-23-2016, 10:26 AM

People are so high on the Bucks for some reason. They were a fringe playoff team until the lost their best scorer.

Tg11
10-23-2016, 10:36 AM
3 more days until the NBA season starts...so happy so excited and if anything the more exciting conference out of the 2 will be the East for sure

mightybosstone
10-23-2016, 05:17 PM

They did last season, and Milwaukee has a ton of young talent. Zach Lowe at least seems to think Milwaukee will finish ahead of the Knicks. :shrug:

More-Than-Most
10-23-2016, 07:06 PM

If the Bulls end up higher than a 4 seed I will delete my account.

PhillyFaninLA
10-23-2016, 07:22 PM
East:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Boston Celtics
3. Toronto Raptors
4. Atlanta Hawks
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Detroit Pistons
7. Chicago Bulls
8. Charlotte Hornets
9. New York Knicks
10. Milwaukee Bucks
11. Washington Wizards
12. Orlando Magic
13. Miami Heat
14. Philadelphia 76ers
15. Brooklyn Nets

West:
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Memphis Grizzlies
5. Portland Trail Blazers
6. Utah Jazz
7. Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Dallas Mavericks
9. Houston Rockets
10. Minnesota Timberwolves
11. New Orleans Pelicans
12. Denver Nuggets
13. Phoenix Suns
14. Los Angeles Lakers
15. Sacramento Kings

I think this is pretty closer to what ultimately happens but with 7 - 11 in the east being in any random order of them and with OKC up a little higher and Minnesota either in the playoffs or just missing

Mr. Baller
10-23-2016, 10:26 PM

Go Bucks!

5ass
10-23-2016, 11:12 PM
East:

1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Atlanta
5. Charlotte
6. Detroit
7. Pacers
8. Magic

9. Washington
10. Knicks
11. Bulls
12. Milwaukee
13. Miami
14. Sixers
15. Brooklyn

West:

1. Golden State
2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Memphis
5. OKC
6. Portland
7. Houston
8. Utah

9. Nuggets
10. Mavs
11. Wolves
12. Pelicans
13. Kings
14. Lakers
15. Suns

mrblisterdundee
10-24-2016, 02:38 AM

Utah and Dallas are both better than the Rockets. So are the Thunder. Westbrook will ensure he gets that eighth seed and a shot at Durant.
Sure, Harden is an offensive savant. But you underestimate how bad Houston is defensively, and how new and weak their front court is. They're going to get murdered on the defensive end.

mightybosstone
10-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Utah and Dallas are both better than the Rockets. So are the Thunder. Westbrook will ensure he gets that eighth seed and a shot at Durant.
Sure, Harden is an offensive savant. But you underestimate how bad Houston is defensively, and how new and weak their front court is. They're going to get murdered on the defensive end.

Barring a couple of major injuries, the Rockets will almost certainly finish with a better record than Dallas. And you think I'm unaware of how poor the defense is on paper? I assure you I'm not. But the Rockets played pretty solid defense in the preseason, and I honestly don't think they'll finish in the bottom 10 in points given up per possession.

As far as their front court goes, you're just wrong. More minutes of Capela and 20 minutes of Nene are an upgrade over what Dwight provided last season. They're going to fit this offense far better, and they finally have the stretch 4 that Morey has coveted for years.

Mark my words, chief. This Rockets team will turn some heads this season.

Hawkeye15
10-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Barring a couple of major injuries, the Rockets will almost certainly finish with a better record than Dallas. And you think I'm unaware of how poor the defense is on paper? I assure you I'm not. But the Rockets played pretty solid defense in the preseason, and I honestly don't think they'll finish in the bottom 10 in points given up per possession.

As far as their front court goes, you're just wrong. More minutes of Capela and 20 minutes of Nene are an upgrade over what Dwight provided last season. They're going to fit this offense far better, and they finally have the stretch 4 that Morey has coveted for years.

Mark my words, chief. This Rockets team will turn some heads this season.

Minnesota was #2 in defensive efficiency in the preseason. Do you think that means anything?

I have Utah as a top 4 seed. I don't think the Rox are at their level at all, when you look at defense, depth, etc. The Rockets defense is going to be bad imo. Bottom 8. Offense, probably top 2-3. That lands you around 40-44 wins.

I do get, that Rockets fans have some odd obsession with hating Utah, which I seriously never got in my 19 years living in Houston. The Mavs, who ****ing knows dude, they might surprise us and win 45 games, or fade into oblivion.

Vee-Rex
10-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Minnesota was #2 in defensive efficiency in the preseason. Do you think that means anything?

I have Utah as a top 4 seed. I don't think the Rox are at their level at all, when you look at defense, depth, etc. The Rockets defense is going to be bad imo. Bottom 8. Offense, probably top 2-3. That lands you around 40-44 wins.

I do get, that Rockets fans have some odd obsession with hating Utah, which I seriously never got in my 19 years living in Houston. The Mavs, who ****ing knows dude, they might surprise us and win 45 games, or fade into oblivion.

It makes sense considering what happened in the '90s after the Rox won 2 titles. Utah owned them 2 straight years.

Hawkeye15
10-25-2016, 10:50 AM
It makes sense considering what happened in the '90s after the Rox won 2 titles. Utah owned them 2 straight years.

and they have 0 titles. I just never got it man. Utah was kind of relevant for a while, but never won ****. And you don't get it, so many Rockets fans HATE Utah, like they stole their Mom's lunch money. Over 2 years? Meh

Vee-Rex
10-25-2016, 10:58 AM
and they have 0 titles. I just never got it man. Utah was kind of relevant for a while, but never won ****. And you don't get it, so many Rockets fans HATE Utah, like they stole their Mom's lunch money. Over 2 years? Meh

Heh, I know what you mean. I do remember watching game 6 in '97... man that was such a heart-breaker. I was rooting for the Rockets because I was a big Charles Barkley fan. That game-winner by Stockton was brutal. If it had gone 7 anything could've happened and I felt Houston had a better chance at beating Chicago in the finals than Utah.

But still, you're right, they do hate Utah with such a strong passion lol.

Hawkeye15
10-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Heh, I know what you mean. I do remember watching game 6 in '97... man that was such a heart-breaker. I was rooting for the Rockets because I was a big Charles Barkley fan. That game-winner by Stockton was brutal. If it had gone 7 anything could've happened and I felt Houston had a better chance at beating Chicago in the finals than Utah.

But still, you're right, they do hate Utah with such a strong passion lol.

my roommate refused to watch Jazz games under any circumstance. He would visibly get livid haha

mightybosstone
10-25-2016, 11:20 AM

I never said that I thought the Rockets were necessarily a better team than Utah. Right now, on paper, I'd give the slight edge to the Jazz. What I said was that it's highly unlikely that Utah, Minnesota AND Dallas all finish ahead of the Rockets to make the postseason this year. However, I do still think Utah leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side of the ball, and missing their best offensive player for the first few weeks of the season won't do them any favors.

Also, offensively, this Rockets team is going to be leaps and bounds better than they were the last few seasons. People who don't watch a ton of Rockets games don't understand how poor their offense really was. Harden was the duct tape of that offense and fixed a lot of things that were just fundamentally broken. But with an actual offense in place with guys who can actually hit open 3-pointers, this team is going to be much better than last year's. I think 40-44 wins is a pretty big underestimation. They'll win 48+.

As for the Utah hate, that's kind of irrelevant in this conversation, and I'm kind of confused where it came from. But for a guy who lived in Houston for that long, how do you not get it? The Stockton 3-pointer in '97 killed arguably the most talented Rockets team in the franchise's history. Then Utah followed it up by knocking them out in the first round the next season. To make matters worse, Yao and Tracy's Rockets were eliminated in the playoffs in 2007 AND 2008 by those D-Will/Boozer Jazz teams. Basically for the past 20 years, the Jazz have been the Rockets postseason kryptonite. You lose to any team four times in an 11-year span, and you'd grow to hate them pretty fast.

Hawkeye15
10-25-2016, 12:09 PM
I never said that I thought the Rockets were necessarily a better team than Utah. Right now, on paper, I'd give the slight edge to the Jazz. What I said was that it's highly unlikely that Utah, Minnesota AND Dallas all finish ahead of the Rockets to make the postseason this year. However, I do still think Utah leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side of the ball, and missing their best offensive player for the first few weeks of the season won't do them any favors.

Also, offensively, this Rockets team is going to be leaps and bounds better than they were the last few seasons. People who don't watch a ton of Rockets games don't understand how poor their offense really was. Harden was the duct tape of that offense and fixed a lot of things that were just fundamentally broken. But with an actual offense in place with guys who can actually hit open 3-pointers, this team is going to be much better than last year's. I think 40-44 wins is a pretty big underestimation. They'll win 48+.

As for the Utah hate, that's kind of irrelevant in this conversation, and I'm kind of confused where it came from. But for a guy who lived in Houston for that long, how do you not get it? The Stockton 3-pointer in '97 killed arguably the most talented Rockets team in the franchise's history. Then Utah followed it up by knocking them out in the first round the next season. To make matters worse, Yao and Tracy's Rockets were eliminated in the playoffs in 2007 AND 2008 by those D-Will/Boozer Jazz teams. Basically for the past 20 years, the Jazz have been the Rockets postseason kryptonite. You lose to any team four times in an 11-year span, and you'd grow to hate them pretty fast.

I think the Rox will be a top 3 offensive team. I also think they will be a bottom 8 defensive team. That just spells slightly above .500, outside the oddity of winning or losing a lot of close games.

I never got the Utah hate, because they haven't won squat. You guys did. 2 chips in a row, my first 2 years there. I get not liking them, but Rockets fans never let it go, it was hilarious to me is all. I seriously had friends who would get all worked up over Utah. I will say, as a Wolves fan, ie, NEVER had success, I haven't been able to really build a team I hate due to the postseason. Might as well be every team that has eliminated us haha

No, the Wolves/Mavs/Jazz will not all finish above the Rockets, I agree with you on that dude. Jazz, I think for sure. Wolves/Mavs, eh. While I think the Wolves will leapfrog the Rockets (and plenty of other teams) soon enough, it might be too early to be predicting that for sure right now.

mightybosstone
10-25-2016, 02:44 PM
I think the Rox will be a top 3 offensive team. I also think they will be a bottom 8 defensive team. That just spells slightly above .500, outside the oddity of winning or losing a lot of close games.
Yeah. I'm curious to see how this season pans out. I'm high on them right now because everything coming out of camp this off-season has been so positive and they looked so good in the preseason. But I could easily see them struggling to crack the playoffs, mainly due to injuries.

I do think the defense is being a tad overblown, though. Two years ago, with Dwight missing half a season and fewer quality defenders on the roster than they have now, Houston was arguably a top 10 defensive squad. And they have the personnel to play good defense. If Harden plays at the level he did on that end two years ago, then essentially the only two holes defensively are Gordon and Anderson. But look at the rest of the roster, and there are plenty of quality defenders: Capela, Ariza, Nene, Beverley, Harrell, McDaniels and Dekker.

I never got the Utah hate, because they haven't won squat. You guys did. 2 chips in a row, my first 2 years there. I get not liking them, but Rockets fans never let it go, it was hilarious to me is all. I seriously had friends who would get all worked up over Utah. I will say, as a Wolves fan, ie, NEVER had success, I haven't been able to really build a team I hate due to the postseason. Might as well be every team that has eliminated us haha
If the 2000s Jazz teams hadn't knocked out the Rockets two years in a row, I think we would have let the 90s losses go by now. But if you lost to any team that often in the postseason in such as a small period of time, and it's hard to forget. If the Rockets could go the rest of the 2010s without losing to the Jazz in the playoffs, maybe a decade from now, that Jazz hate will dissipate. But that Utah hate runs pretty deep. My all-time most hated athlete ever is Karl Malone. I'm not sure why, but I just loathe that man and will take any opportunity I get to trash the guy's legacy.

No, the Wolves/Mavs/Jazz will not all finish above the Rockets, I agree with you on that dude. Jazz, I think for sure. Wolves/Mavs, eh. While I think the Wolves will leapfrog the Rockets (and plenty of other teams) soon enough, it might be too early to be predicting that for sure right now.
I still think it's too early to say the Jazz will "for sure" get there. Before the season even starts, I'm not "for sure" of pretty much anything. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that Cleveland and Golden State will "for sure" finish the regular season on top of their respective conferences. There's too much uncertainty and too many variables to consider. What if the Jazz get off to a slow start with Hayward and Favors out, or they miss more time than anticipated? What if Gordon and Anderson actually stay healthy and return to the prime versions of themselves? What if Capela makes a leap forward or if Gobert stays stagnant or takes a step back? Houston was one game better than Utah last season despite underachieving in a huge way. Are you THAT confident that Utah's improvement this season will outpace Houston's improvement?

As far as Minnesota and Dallas goes, I just think Minnesota is still a couple of years away from cracking the postseason in the West. And I just don't think Dallas is very good on paper or in reality. That team is just a hodgepodge of players that don't make a ton of sense together and has no real long-term strategy. If Dallas makes the playoffs it will be because Rick Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the league and because he somehow squeezed 42+ wins out of a team with no business winning that many games.

R!kSm!tz
10-25-2016, 02:47 PM
People are claiming Utah is such a great team without them even playing one game.

JAZZNC
10-25-2016, 03:17 PM
People are claiming Utah is such a great team without them even playing one game.

Kinda like you with the Bulls.

IKnowHoops
10-25-2016, 03:51 PM
EAST
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Detroit
6. Atlanta
7. Milwaukee
8. Washington
Just outside:
9. Chicago
10. New York
11. Orlando

WEST
1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. LA Clippers
4. Portland
5. Houston
6. Utah
7. OKC
8. Memphis
Just outside:
9. Minnesota
10. Dallas
11. New Orleans

Sleeping on MN is not wise. They are very talented and now well coached. I expect them to finish ahead of Houston and probably the Jazz as well. By the end of the season, they could be the team that nobody wants to face in the playoffs. They are gonna need a lot of this season to get to that point, but when the time comes, I won't be surprised if they not only make the playoffs as a 7 seed, but if they make a run in the playoffs as well.

Injury is the only way the Cavs won't make the eastern conference finals again.

Golden State, I feel the same way, but the Spurs have a chance to beat them. They have size over them and they have Kawai, so they could possibly beat GS in the playoffs. Then there is also that way outside chance that MN makes an improbable run.

I also see both the Knicks and Bulls making the playoffs. 6/7/8 seed for them but I am excite for them. Don't underrate Wade and Rose to much. Rose may have average stats, but he is still a top 5% athlete that just needs to play the game the right way. Penetration, layups, passing, and pushing the ball up the court hard and fast. No 3's, no long 2's, work on IQ, work on getting others open shots. He can still be a B/B+ player in the NBA in my opinion.

GS is gonna blow some teams off the court this year in ridiculous fashion. They are gonna look like the 1990 Buffalo Bills. They could loose to a team who Strength is there weakness, but most likely they are gonna win it. The only thing that can beat them is POP or Bron.

mightybosstone
10-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Sleeping on MN is not wise. They are very talented and now well coached. I expect them to finish ahead of Houston and probably the Jazz as well. By the end of the season, they could be the team that nobody wants to face in the playoffs. They are gonna need a lot of this season to get to that point, but when the time comes, I won't be surprised if they not only make the playoffs as a 7 seed, but if they make a run in the playoffs as well.
I'm not sleeping on anybody. But if I have to make a prediction, I still think Minnesota is still way too young. Their two best players are 20 and 21 years old, and they won 29 games last season. Assuming the West is at the same level as last year (which it might or might not be), then a team needs to go at least .500 to make the postseason, meaning 41 wins. Is Minnesota going to make a 12-win improvement from last season? Because that's a pretty bold statement for a franchise that hasn't won 41 games since 2005.

I'm certainly not ruling them out, but if I'm playing the percentages, I think it's far likelier that the Wolves come up just shy of the postseason than it is that they make the playoffs.

Injury is the only way the Cavs won't make the eastern conference finals again.

Golden State, I feel the same way, but the Spurs have a chance to beat them. They have size over them and they have Kawai, so they could possibly beat GS in the playoffs. Then there is also that way outside chance that MN makes an improbable run.
Probably, but you never say never in sports. Also, are you suggesting there's an outside shot that a Wolves team that won 29 games last year could knock off this Warriors team in the postseason? Because that seems like way crazier than just "improbable."

I also see both the Knicks and Bulls making the playoffs. 6/7/8 seed for them but I am excite for them. Don't underrate Wade and Rose to much. Rose may have average stats, but he is still a top 5% athlete that just needs to play the game the right way. Penetration, layups, passing, and pushing the ball up the court hard and fast. No 3's, no long 2's, work on IQ, work on getting others open shots. He can still be a B/B+ player in the NBA in my opinion.
Could they make the playoffs as low seeded teams in the East? Sure. But I'm definitely not "underrating" guys like Rose, Wade and Rondo. I'm rating them exactly where they need to be, which is far, far below the level of basketball they played in their primes. Frankly, if those teams make the playoffs, I think it will have far less to do with those guys and far more to do with the young players around them. Frankly, Rose sucks, and he shouldn't be a starting point guard on a playoff team.

GS is gonna blow some teams off the court this year in ridiculous fashion. They are gonna look like the 1990 Buffalo Bills. They could loose to a team who Strength is there weakness, but most likely they are gonna win it. The only thing that can beat them is POP or Bron.
Again, never say never. All it takes is one injury or some disagreement in the locker room for a team to unravel at the wrong time in the playoffs. And matchups always play a big role in the postseason. But to crown them before a single regular season game is played is preposterous. They are deservedly the heavy favorites to win the title this year. But let's not act like playing the games doesn't matter.

Shammyguy3
10-25-2016, 04:15 PM
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Atlanta
6. Detroit
7. Charlotte
8. Washington
12. Orlando
13. Miami
14. Brooklyn
15. Philadelphia

1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Houston
5. Portland
6. Utah
7. Memphis
8. Minnesota
12. Denver
13. Phoenix
14. Sacramento
15. Los Angeles Lakers

R!kSm!tz
10-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Kinda like you with the Bulls.

Probably more realistic for the Bulls.

Hawkeye15
10-25-2016, 04:35 PM
If the 2000s Jazz teams hadn't knocked out the Rockets two years in a row, I think we would have let the 90s losses go by now. But if you lost to any team that often in the postseason in such as a small period of time, and it's hard to forget. If the Rockets could go the rest of the 2010s without losing to the Jazz in the playoffs, maybe a decade from now, that Jazz hate will dissipate. But that Utah hate runs pretty deep. My all-time most hated athlete ever is Karl Malone. I'm not sure why, but I just loathe that man and will take any opportunity I get to trash the guy's legacy.

I still think it's too early to say the Jazz will "for sure" get there. Before the season even starts, I'm not "for sure" of pretty much anything. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that Cleveland and Golden State will "for sure" finish the regular season on top of their respective conferences. There's too much uncertainty and too many variables to consider. What if the Jazz get off to a slow start with Hayward and Favors out, or they miss more time than anticipated? What if Gordon and Anderson actually stay healthy and return to the prime versions of themselves? What if Capela makes a leap forward or if Gobert stays stagnant or takes a step back? Houston was one game better than Utah last season despite underachieving in a huge way. Are you THAT confident that Utah's improvement this season will outpace Houston's improvement?

As far as Minnesota and Dallas goes, I just think Minnesota is still a couple of years away from cracking the postseason in the West. And I just don't think Dallas is very good on paper or in reality. That team is just a hodgepodge of players that don't make a ton of sense together and has no real long-term strategy. If Dallas makes the playoffs it will be because Rick Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the league and because he somehow squeezed 42+ wins out of a team with no business winning that many games.

Fair enough on the Utah hate

Minnesota, isn't in the west of the mid to late 2000's. 42-43 wins gets you in. If they miss this year, it's the last year for a while. I truly believe they will contend within 3-4 years.

Dallas, you nailed it.

IKnowHoops
10-25-2016, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE]I'm not sleeping on anybody. But if I have to make a prediction, I still think Minnesota is still way too young. Their two best players are 20 and 21 years old, and they won 29 games last season. Assuming the West is at the same level as last year (which it might or might not be), then a team needs to go at least .500 to make the postseason, meaning 41 wins. Is Minnesota going to make a 12-win improvement from last season? Because that's a pretty bold statement for a franchise that hasn't won 41 games since 2005.

I don't think 12 plus win for the Wolves is to bold at all. I think Thibs alone could count for 10 wins. Then add in KAT getting a year under his belt. Then Lavine and Wiggins who are top 1% athletes in the league getting another year under the belt. Remember this team beat GSW at the end of the year, when GSW were really trying to win every game to get that record. They were trending up last year.

I'm certainly not ruling them out, but if I'm playing the percentages, I think it's far likelier that the Wolves come up just shy of the postseason than it is that they make the playoffs.

I aint mad at ya...got nothin but love for ya...do ya thing boy...

Probably, but you never say never in sports. Also, are you suggesting there's an outside shot that a Wolves team that won 29 games last year could knock off this Warriors team in the postseason? Because that seems like way crazier than just "improbable."

New coach and just looking at the way they played GSW maybe better than any team in the regular season. Yeah its not likely, but there is a spark there.

Could they make the playoffs as low seeded teams in the East? Sure. But I'm definitely not "underrating" guys like Rose, Wade and Rondo. I'm rating them exactly where they need to be, which is far, far below the level of basketball they played in their primes. Frankly, if those teams make the playoffs, I think it will have far less to do with those guys and far more to do with the young players around them. Frankly, Rose sucks, and he shouldn't be a starting point guard on a playoff team.

If Rose is 90% of what he was, which by age range he surely could be, he would be a B/B+ player. I think Rose was mentally more messed up than anything. He had games where he looked like a beast again. One against the Cavs I remember.

Again, never say never. All it takes is one injury or some disagreement in the locker room for a team to unravel at the wrong time in the playoffs. And matchups always play a big role in the postseason. But to crown them before a single regular season game is played is preposterous. They are deservedly the heavy favorites to win the title this year. But let's not act like playing the games doesn't matter.

Well the 90's Bills were favorites and lost so I am definitely not acting like playing the games don't matter.

ManningToTyree
10-25-2016, 05:16 PM
East:

1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Pacers
5. Atlanta
6. New York
7. Detroit
8. Bulls

9. Washington
10. Charlotte
11. Magic
12. Miami
13. Bucks
14. Sixers
15. Brooklyn

West:

1. Golden State
2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Okc
5. Houston
6. Portland
7. Memphis
8. Utah

9. Wolves
10. Mavs
11. Nuggets
12. Pelicans
13. Lakers
14. Kings
15. Suns

5ass
10-25-2016, 05:37 PM
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Atlanta
6. Detroit
7. Charlotte
8. Atlanta
12. Washington
13. Milwaukee
14. Brooklyn
15. Philadelphia

1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Houston
5. Portland
6. Utah
7. Memphis
8. Minnesota
12. Denver
13. Phoenix
14. Sacramento
15. Los Angeles Lakers

You have Washington and Atlanta twice.

HeartOfStarks
10-25-2016, 06:29 PM
What is Charlotte's starting 5?

Kemba/Batum/MKG/Kaminski/Hibbert?

I know they lost Jefferson/Lee/Lin this offseason. I like Kemba a lot but I definitely do not see this squad as a 5th seed which some people are putting them at. Maybe an 8th seed but even that I have a hard time seeing them beat out Detroit/Chicago/Orlando/Washington/NYK
who I see battling for those last 2-3 spots.

I know they did well last year and like I said I do think Kemba's nice as hell but still, they lost 3 impact guys and added Hibbert? How are they a 5/6 seed?

warfelg
10-25-2016, 06:52 PM
What is Charlotte's starting 5?

Kemba/Batum/MKG/Kaminski/Hibbert?

I know they lost Jefferson/Lee/Lin this offseason. I like Kemba a lot but I definitely do not see this squad as a 5th seed which some people are putting them at. Maybe an 8th seed but even that I have a hard time seeing them beat out Detroit/Chicago/Orlando/Washington/NYK
who I see battling for those last 2-3 spots.

I know they did well last year and like I said I do think Kemba's nice as hell but still, they lost 3 impact guys and added Hibbert? How are they a 5/6 seed?

Wasn't Batum, MKG, and someone else out almost all year last year? If that's the case, and you add Hibbert (possible mistake), then really they didn't lose a whole lot.

*Marvin Williams is the third that missed most to all of last year.

Shammyguy3
10-25-2016, 07:13 PM
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Indiana
5. Atlanta
6. Detroit
7. Charlotte
8. Washington
12. Orlando
13. Miami
14. Brooklyn
15. Philadelphia

1. Golden State
2. San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Houston
5. Portland
6. Utah
7. Memphis
8. Minnesota
12. Denver
13. Phoenix
14. Sacramento
15. Los Angeles Lakers

new list, i listed ATL/WAS twice somehow

Stunner
10-26-2016, 08:53 AM
I'm not scared of the raptors personally

zn23
10-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I'll just give a top 8 from each.

East:

1- Cleveland Cavaliers
2- Boston Celtics
3- Indiana Pacers
4- Toronto Raptors
5- Detroit Pistons
6- Washington Wizards
7- Atlanta Hawks
8- Milwaukee Bucks

The East is a cake walk for the Cavs. It's even weaker than it was last year. The Knicks are an atrocity and I can't see them making the playoffs as bad as the East is.

West:

2- San Antonio Spurs
3- Los Angeles Clippers
4- Oklahoma City Thunder
5- Houston Rocketss
7- Memphis Grizzlies
8- Dallas Mavericks

5ass
10-26-2016, 05:19 PM
I'll just give a top 8 from each.

East:

1- Cleveland Cavaliers
2- Boston Celtics
3- Indiana Pacers
4- Toronto Raptors
5- Detroit Pistons
6- Washington Wizards
7- Atlanta Hawks
8- Milwaukee Bucks

The East is a cake walk for the Cavs. It's even weaker than it was last year. The Knicks are an atrocity and I can't see them making the playoffs as bad as the East is.

West:

2- San Antonio Spurs
3- Los Angeles Clippers
4- Oklahoma City Thunder
5- Houston Rocketss
7- Memphis Grizzlies
8- Dallas Mavericks
The east is better and much deeper than the west.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-26-2016, 05:32 PM
West got old as well.

R!kSm!tz
10-26-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm not scared of the raptors personally

I'm hoping we play them in the 2nd round.

Chronz
10-26-2016, 05:56 PM
The east is better and much deeper than the west.

Deeper but better? Wake me up when they finally win more games than the West.

5ass
10-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Deeper but better? Wake me up when they finally win more games than the West.

Set the alarm to April 12th because they will win more games this season. The young eastern conference teams are only getting better. For the next few years, the east will be better than the aging west.

R!kSm!tz
10-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Set the alarm to April 12th because they will win more games this season. The young eastern conference teams are only getting better. For the next few years, the east will be better than the aging west.

I have to agree with this. Top to bottom the East will be better than the west and they have the champs on their side as well.

Sanjay
01-19-2017, 07:24 PM
West

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Rockets
5. Mavericks
6. Grizzlies
7. Kings
8. Pelicans
9. Nuggets
10. Suns
11. Lakers
12. Jazz
13. Timberwolves
14. Thunder
15. Trailblazers

East

1. Cavaliers
2. Bulls
3. Knicks (always overrate them)
4. Wizards
5. Raptors
6. Pacers
7. Heat
8. Hawks
9. 76ers
10. Celtics
11. Bucks
12. Hornets
13. Pistons
14. Magic
15. Nets

kdspurman
01-19-2017, 07:35 PM
^ Perfect time for this bump considering we're at the halfway mark.

Pfeifer
01-19-2017, 07:54 PM
West

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Rockets
5. Mavericks
6. Grizzlies
7. Kings
8. Pelicans
9. Nuggets
10. Suns
11. Lakers
12. Jazz
13. Timberwolves
14. Thunder
15. Trailblazers

East

1. Cavaliers
2. Bulls
4. Wizards
5. Raptors
6. Pacers
7. Heat
8. Hawks
9. 76ers
10. Celtics
11. Bucks
12. Hornets
13. Pistons
14. Magic
15. Nets

I cant tell if youre being serious. Lol

Sanjay
01-19-2017, 08:49 PM
^ Perfect time for this bump considering we're at the halfway mark.

Haven't been on in like a year lol. Thought I would just share my predictions to compare them to what has happened. Btw my quote notifications aren't working?

Sanjay
01-19-2017, 08:52 PM
I cant tell if youre being serious. Lol

I like to make 'out-there' predictions for some teams and probably don't watch some of the others enough to make an informed prediction.

Shammyguy3
01-19-2017, 10:23 PM
1. Cleveland = Cleveland
2. Boston +1 Toronto
3. Toronto -1 Boston
4. Indiana +1 Atlanta
5. Atlanta +3 Washington
6. Detroit -2 Indiana
7. Charlotte = Charlotte
8. Washington +1 Chicago
12. Orlando = Orlando
13. Miami +2 Philadelphia
14. Brooklyn -1 Miami
15. Philadelphia -1 Brooklyn

1. Golden State = Golden State
2. San Antonio = San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers +1 Houston
4. Houston -1 Los Angeles Clippers
5. Portland +1 Utah
6. Utah +5 Oklahoma City
7. Memphis = Memphis
8. Minnesota +4 Denver
12. Denver -2 Dallas
13. Phoenix -5 Minnesota
14. Sacramento +1 Los Angeles Lakers
15. Los Angeles Lakers -2 Phoenix

Actual in bold
I overestimated Minnesota (-5), Detroit (-4), Portland (-4),
I underestimated Oklahoma City (+5), Denver (+4), Washington (+3), Sacramento (+3)

Dade County
01-19-2017, 10:29 PM
West

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Clippers
4. Rockets
5. Mavericks
6. Grizzlies
7. Kings
8. Pelicans
9. Nuggets
10. Suns
11. Lakers
12. Jazz
13. Timberwolves
14. Thunder
15. Trailblazers

East

1. Cavaliers
2. Bulls
4. Wizards
5. Raptors
6. Pacers
7. Heat
8. Hawks
9. 76ers
10. Celtics
11. Bucks
12. Hornets
13. Pistons
14. Magic
15. Nets

i have no idea whats wrong with you. Miami is low-key tanking lol

dhopisthename
01-19-2017, 11:46 PM
I think the biggest surprise for me has been the trailblazers based on everyone's list. even being only 1 game out of 8th they are 7 games out of 7th and just look terrible.

kdspurman
01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Haven't been on in like a year lol. Thought I would just share my predictions to compare them to what has happened. Btw my quote notifications aren't working?

Gotcha..

And yea, there's a known issue with that. We've sent the necessary party messages about it to get that (and other items) resolved, but to no avail as of yet.

Sanjay
01-21-2017, 12:46 AM
i have no idea whats wrong with you. Miami is low-key tanking lol

I didn't know that before the start of the season.

bucketss
01-21-2017, 06:10 PM
was there any other prediction threads? i remember posting in one i guess not this one.