PDA

View Full Version : Jason Terry: "Klay and Kawhi are B-side players."

FlashBolt
10-19-2016, 12:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-klay-thompson-confused-by-jason-terry-calling-him-b-side-player/

Agreed on Klay being a B-side but not Kawhi.

Shammyguy3
10-19-2016, 12:31 PM
this is why I don't put a lot of stock in players' evaluations

cmellofan15
10-19-2016, 12:31 PM
*jason terry uses arbitrary terms to hate on two great players

mrblisterdundee
10-19-2016, 12:46 PM
At his peak, Jason Terry was probably a C-side player. He was like Klay Thompson, except without the excellent defense.

nycericanguy
10-19-2016, 02:02 PM
Klay has proven he's a franchise player IMO.

He's a lot more than just a shooter. he's a guy with infinite range and he'll hit shots in your face. And he plays really good D. He's a better version of Reggie Miller with better defense.

Hawkeye15
10-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Neither have proven they can carry a franchise.

Klay, I don't think could be a #1 on a contender. It would take a Pistons type outfit.

Leonard, I have admitted multiple times, I can't figure out. That is because the Spurs system is just so incredible and seemless, it makes it very difficult to rank their players as stand alone, outside Duncan years ago. Surely KL would be an all NBA player if he were the clear cut #1 player on any team, I just don't know if he is a LeBron/Durant type...

Chronz
10-19-2016, 02:34 PM
Klay has proven he's a franchise player IMO.

He's a lot more than just a shooter. he's a guy with infinite range and he'll hit shots in your face. And he plays really good D. He's a better version of Reggie Miller with better defense.
If he's Reggie, this year will show it. Reggie was hyper efficient on some of the best offenses ever. Can Klay match him now that he should theoretically get similar touches now? You have an argument either way but for this to be an open and shut case, klay has to prove more amenable

nycericanguy
10-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Klay, I don't think could be a #1 on a contender. It would take a Pistons type outfit.

Leonard, I have admitted multiple times, I can't figure out. That is because the Spurs system is just so incredible and seemless, it makes it very difficult to rank their players as stand alone, outside Duncan years ago. Surely KL would be an all NBA player if he were the clear cut #1 player on any team, I just don't know if he is a LeBron/Durant type...

probably not, but that's a tough way to judge someone. Klay is a top 13-20 player. Half the teams in the league don't have a single player as good as him. So to me, he can be a franchise player. Now he'd probably need a lot of help to be a contender, but I think you could build a contender with him as the #1. Imagine Reggie's Pacers with Klay instead? They'd still be contenders and arguably better.

IndyRealist
10-19-2016, 02:37 PM
...do people not understand the "b-side" reference?

Vinyl and cassettes had an "A" side and a "B" side. The "A" side had all the singles and popular songs, the "B" side had all the filler, experimental, and otherwise lower grade material.

LoveCaliFan
10-19-2016, 02:38 PM
I agree about Klay. Klay would be an average player if it wasn't for Curry, Green, Iggs and now Durant. It's so much easier to look the part when you are always open and can shoot. Imo, Klay is very overrated. He can shoot out gym though. But imo he wouldn't be who he is if he was a main option. Kawahi is defenitely a superstar. He's effective on both sides of ball. He is Scottie Pippen 2.0.

europagnpilgrim
10-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Terry is pretty much right, they are B+ style because if Leonard was that guy he would have carried Spurs this past season over OKC and pushed Warriors to at least 7 games if he was that special, he is special defensively but to be a franchise player/superstar you have to show those moments where you just put the team on your back and say follow me, especially in those 7 game series

but to be fair to Leonard if the Spurs system allowed him to just turn loose then we might see it but his situation and style of play hinders that I guess but it didn't stop Duncan back in the day from getting his 35-40pts so maybe its who he is

Klay is the same, I don't think he can carry a franchise deep or season in and out(maybe for a small sample stretch) but with the right pieces he is a lethal 2nd option to have, or 3rd like he is pretty much now

nothing wrong with being B+ which is borderline a A-, especially on the contenders they are on
Terry was the same similar tier C+/B- type so he should know something about that

Hawkeye15
10-19-2016, 02:43 PM
probably not, but that's a tough way to judge someone. Klay is a top 13-20 player. Half the teams in the league don't have a single player as good as him. So to me, he can be a franchise player. Now he'd probably need a lot of help to be a contender, but I think you could build a contender with him as the #1. Imagine Reggie's Pacers with Klay instead? They'd still be contenders and arguably better.

well, you will get no objection from me on your last sentence, Reggie is arguably the most overrated player on PSD. Klay basically is Reggie Miller

I guess what I mean is, a true elite player. There are no more than a few any given year. If your best player is a top 10-20 player, you need a couple other top 30-50 players, and very good role players/coaching. Meaning, neither of these 2, imo, could lead a crappy team to an 8th seed by themselves, something we know LeBron, Durant, or Curry could do.

IndyRealist
10-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Not really. Most of Reggie's scoring came off iso after forcing a switch. Most people forget that. Pump fakes, one dribble pull ups, cuts to the rim, Reggie beat his man constantly to score. Klay doesn't do that. Hell, Reggie lived at the line. Klay averages less than a free throw every 12 minutes played.

They're not comparable at all.

Hawkeye15
10-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Not really. Most of Reggie's scoring came off iso after forcing a switch. Most people forget that. Pump fakes, one dribble pull ups, cuts to the rim, Reggie beat his man constantly to score. Klay doesn't do that. Hell, Reggie lived at the line. Klay averages less than a free throw every 12 minutes played.

because of what they are asked to do, and the rules. If you could use your hands, Klay would be putting it on the deck more. Reggie would be an off the catch shooting machine today.

nycericanguy
10-19-2016, 03:00 PM

they are very comparable. Klay doesn't NEED to do more than he does, but we've seen him go off and attack the basket, it's there. He just doesn't need to do that in GSW.

The game has changed also, Reggie today would be shooting many more 3's and his FT attempts would likely suffer.

other than Reggie shooting more FT's. i think they are similar, tho i'd give Klay the edge on D.

IndyRealist
10-19-2016, 03:08 PM
because of what they are asked to do, and the rules. If you could use your hands, Klay would be putting it on the deck more. Reggie would be an off the catch shooting machine today.

Reggie game was predicated on getting to the line, and not like today where if a defender breathes on you wrong it's a foul. With as open as the lane is now, Reggie could shoot 18 FT/game. He sought out contact, popped right up off the court and jogged to the line. That was one tough skinny dude.

kdspurman
10-19-2016, 03:11 PM

Curious, is scoring alot what qualifies as carrying a franchise to you?

IndyRealist
10-19-2016, 03:12 PM
they are very comparable. Klay doesn't NEED to do more than he does, but we've seen him go off and attack the basket, it's there. He just doesn't need to do that in GSW.

The game has changed also, Reggie today would be shooting many more 3's and his FT attempts would likely suffer.

other than Reggie shooting more FT's. i think they are similar, tho i'd give Klay the edge on D.

Today's offense isn't just shooting 3s. It's behind the arc OR get to the rim. Reggie was a far more attacking player than people give him credit for.

Hawkeye15
10-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Reggie game was predicated on getting to the line, and not like today where if a defender breathes on you wrong it's a foul. With as open as the lane is now, Reggie could shoot 18 FT/game. He sought out contact, popped right up off the court and jogged to the line. That was one tough skinny dude.

I don't disagree with that. I am simply saying, they serve similar roles. Move, and move a lot, without the ball, and try and score coming off screens. Today's game predicates more open looks, yesterday's more dribble penetration.

For arguments sake, I would think Reggie was Klay, with a tiny bit of Harden in him, as far as body contortion/control.

Hawkeye15
10-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Curious, is scoring alot what qualifies as carrying a franchise to you?

Nope. Carrying a franchise is what qualifies.

I find it very difficult to rate anyone a franchise player, until they do it. Or at least until they show stretches through their career where they can just put a team on their back and win.

I think KAT has all the characteristics, and skills, to do it in the future. But he needs to show it. We have seen CP3 carry a team. LeBron. Duncan. Kobe. Durant for stretches.

I just have to see it man. I have to see Leonard being absolutely game planned, with disregard to the majority of his teammates, and still see him dominate.

kobe4thewinbang
10-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Flashbolt, how is Klay "38pts Quarter" Thompson a B-side player?

And Terry's been an afterthought since he won a ring.

TrueFan420
10-19-2016, 04:43 PM
hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

kdspurman
10-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Nope. Carrying a franchise is what qualifies.

I find it very difficult to rate anyone a franchise player, until they do it. Or at least until they show stretches through their career where they can just put a team on their back and win.

Kawhi is still very early in his career, but he has done it though. Putting a team on your back and winning is done in different ways. He's done it on the defensive side and offensively, basically however needed depending on the game.

I think KAT has all the characteristics, and skills, to do it in the future. But he needs to show it. We have seen CP3 carry a team. LeBron. Duncan. Kobe. Durant for stretches.

Yea, but KAT isn't comparable to Kawhi as Kawhi has done it, even if for stretches like Durant. He's also done it on the biggest stage

I just have to see it man. I have to see Leonard being absolutely game planned, with disregard to the majority of his teammates, and still see him dominate.

I honestly think maybe you aren't watching enough then. He's seen double teams in the post, has seen different types of defenses/defenders thrown at him, and as the Spurs moved a bit more to him and LMA doing more 1 on 1 work, he was able to display more of his ability to beat defenders 1 on 1.

Coach Nick recently did a great breakdown on Kawhi, and it's a great video for the doubters to watch IMO. His game is starting to resemble some of the all time greats (check his post game/footwork/fadeaway) ... I think some people just are missing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_hYdas7KU

IKnowHoops
10-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Kawhi is still very early in his career, but he has done it though. Putting a team on your back and winning is done in different ways. He's done it on the defensive side and offensively, basically however needed depending on the game.

Yea, but KAT isn't comparable to Kawhi as Kawhi has done it, even if for stretches like Durant. He's also done it on the biggest stage

I honestly think maybe you aren't watching enough then. He's seen double teams in the post, has seen different types of defenses/defenders thrown at him, and as the Spurs moved a bit more to him and LMA doing more 1 on 1 work, he was able to display more of his ability to beat defenders 1 on 1.

Coach Nick recently did a great breakdown on Kawhi, and it's a great video for the doubters to watch IMO. His game is starting to resemble some of the all time greats (check his post game/footwork/fadeaway) ... I think some people just are missing it

I have to agree with you for the most part on Leonard. Watching that series against OKC last year...he was absolutely the best player on the court in 2-3 of those games, so when you are playing against Durant and Westy, that says a lot. I saw him playing very aggressive, and being extremely hard to stop. There is only one Lebron, but after that you can rank him above anyone else in a head to head. I think the Spurs style hurts his stats as much as it helps his stats. He still needs to polish his game up a bit to have that all-time status, but I think he is definitely on his way to being an all-time great player.

Klay...his game is so predicated on his outside shot that if he's cold, he's just not great. But when he's on fire he is a crazy force that has shown to get hotter than anyone. If he could get to the hole like Steph then he would definitely be an A-side talent, but he is probably not that guy.

As far as Towns goes, its a little unfair since he is on a super young team, but I expect him to be better then Leonard. If he was on the Spurs right now, he could challenge for there team MVP. Looking at what he's done so far, he's on pace to be an absolute animal. Ive never seen a player his size with his skill set.

Hawkeye15
10-19-2016, 05:46 PM

the thing about the Spurs is, when you watch them, it's not often that one player stands out as a pure dominator. I also get caught watching the guys without the ball when watching the Spurs, because it's interesting to me.

I guess I don't fear Leonard. And yes, he is young. But I can't put him on the LeBron/Curry/Durant level. Not yet. However I put him above Klay, very easily. Leonard is a top 5-7 player, no doubt.

kdspurman
10-19-2016, 08:24 PM
the thing about the Spurs is, when you watch them, it's not often that one player stands out as a pure dominator. I also get caught watching the guys without the ball when watching the Spurs, because it's interesting to me.

I guess I don't fear Leonard. And yes, he is young. But I can't put him on the LeBron/Curry/Durant level. Not yet. However I put him above Klay, very easily. Leonard is a top 5-7 player, no doubt.

So you probably didn't watch much Kawhi cause it was more iso stuff than the "beautiful game" stuff saw the years prior.

That video highlights Kawhi's iso ability, and frankly he's developing quite the offensive game. You don't have to fear him, but he will punish most guys he plays against. Just like guys you are mentioning

mrblisterdundee
10-19-2016, 08:37 PM

I'd put Leonard behind Westbrook but above George and Harden, who are both above Thompson.

FlashBolt
10-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Flashbolt, how is Klay "38pts Quarter" Thompson a B-side player?

And Terry's been an afterthought since he won a ring.

Since when did scoring bunches of points mean you were an A-level player? I thought Terry said it as simple as can be. Does anyone really think Klay is on the same level as LeBron, KD, CP3, Curry, Westbrook, or Harden? If not, he's a B-player. Klay is a scorer and defender but those are two assets that can be deceiving when you're playing with such an amazing team. If you ask me, Klay Thompson is basically Reddick but taller and better defense. That's really it. He doesn't do anything else that Reddick can't. And as for Kawhi, I've been debating and resisting his ability to play basketball for nearly three years and he's been far more impressive than I'd imagine year after year. I'd wager playing for the Spurs might have hurt his progression the past few years. He's getting better and better every year. Dude went from being a good three point shooter to one of the best. Only issue with Kawhi is and will always be his inability to lead a team vocally. I think that hurts him and his brand.

kdspurman
10-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Since when did scoring bunches of points mean you were an A-level player? I thought Terry said it as simple as can be. Does anyone really think Klay is on the same level as LeBron, KD, CP3, Curry, Westbrook, or Harden? If not, he's a B-player. Klay is a scorer and defender but those are two assets that can be deceiving when you're playing with such an amazing team. If you ask me, Klay Thompson is basically Reddick but taller and better defense. That's really it. He doesn't do anything else that Reddick can't. And as for Kawhi, I've been debating and resisting his ability to play basketball for nearly three years and he's been far more impressive than I'd imagine year after year. I'd wager playing for the Spurs might have hurt his progression the past few years. He's getting better and better every year. Dude went from being a good three point shooter to one of the best. Only issue with Kawhi is and will always be his inability to lead a team vocally. I think that hurts him and his brand.

I think there are different ways to lead.. Duncan was a quiet leader too. TD of course didn't care for his brand, but what mattered was how his teammates responded to him and the example he set. Though I will say, Pop and others have been surprised at how vocal he has been in the summer/preseason in huddles and stuff. They're shocked he's speaking more considering he never speaks... but with TD gone they are putting it on him to take on even more in that respect

And you are probably right, Pop said a couple years ago with TD/Tony/Manu that he probably destroyed each of their personal stats due to how he played them. You've got to have the right mindset to be OK with how Pop wants to use you

FlashBolt
10-19-2016, 10:52 PM
I think there are different ways to lead.. Duncan was a quiet leader too. TD of course didn't care for his brand, but what mattered was how his teammates responded to him and the example he set. Though I will say, Pop and others have been surprised at how vocal he has been in the summer/preseason in huddles and stuff. They're shocked he's speaking more considering he never speaks... but with TD gone they are putting it on him to take on even more in that respect

And you are probably right, Pop said a couple years ago with TD/Tony/Manu that he probably destroyed each of their personal stats due to how he played them. You've got to have the right mindset to be OK with how Pop wants to use you

Duncan was quiet but he showed emotion. That's still something Kawhi rarely shows. And Duncan was quiet but Kawhi is serial killer quiet. It works now because he's always had great teammates in a system dictated by Pop but it's a totally different scenario if he plays on a team with rotating coaches and players.

kdspurman
10-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Duncan was quiet but he showed emotion. That's still something Kawhi rarely shows. And Duncan was quiet but Kawhi is serial killer quiet. It works now because he's always had great teammates in a system dictated by Pop but it's a totally different scenario if he plays on a team with rotating coaches and players.

Haha.. serial killer quiet is a good description.

Duncan showed emotion (albeit not often) but he wasn't an emotional leader. If that makes sense... anyone who played with him explained how Tim was just great at putting his hand on a guys shoulder and talking to them on the bench. He was a very quiet leader, and not a demonstrative guy.

Kawhi is starting to show a little more emotion on the court. It mustve been included in his latest firmware upgrade lol. But he's been noticeably more vocal thus far, and I think it's Pop who kinda gives him something each season to improve on, and this year it's more about leadership and communication. He's improved every year, so I have no reason to believe this isnt something he can include in his abilities on/off the court

beasted86
10-20-2016, 06:47 AM
Agree, but so what?
Pippen was a B side player that won 6 championships, and was good enough to lead a team to the ECF.

Klay and Kawhi have also lead their teams to playoff series wins so far.

tredigs
10-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Unsurprisingly, J Terry just disrespects the defensive side of the ball. I guarantee he considers Kyrie an "A side player". He's an old man lost in the realities of a new game.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Unsurprisingly, J Terry just disrespects the defensive side of the ball. I guarantee he considers Kyrie an "A side player". He's an old man lost in the realities of a new game.

plus he went to Arizona, so **** him

FlashBolt
10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Scottie Pippen was capable of being an A-side player. Klay Thompson is not.. Not even worth comparing.

cmellofan15
10-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Lmao and you concluded that based on what?

LoveCaliFan
10-20-2016, 06:06 PM

Lol.. i seen on the show with McGrady, Billups and Rose were asked who's the best nba point guard right now, McGrady and Billups both said Kyrie Irving, because of finals...lmao is all i i did. Kyrie! Really? Man, how much do they get paid to talk out their butts? lol...

LoveCaliFan
10-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Scottie Pippen was capable of being an A-side player. Klay Thompson is not.. Not even worth comparing.

I actually agree. Kawahi is an A+ Side. Does everything! Just like Scottie Pimpin..lol...

IndyRealist
10-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Lol.. i seen on the show with McGrady, Billups and Rose were asked who's the best nba point guard right now, McGrady and Billups both said Kyrie Irving, because of finals...lmao is all i i did. Kyrie! Really? Man, how much do they get paid to talk out their butts? lol...

A lot. They get paid a lot.

JasonJohnHorn
10-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Is there a shooting guard in the league who is quantifiably better than Klay? No.

You can point to Harden's 'play making', but Harden set a record in turnover 'making plays'. Those turnovers really kill the 'playmaker' argument. I'd rather have a guy who knows his limits and plays within them than a guy who turns the ball over that much.

on top of that, Klay is an elite defender while Harden is a liability on defense.

If I had to pick one shooting guard to have as my team's best player for the next five years, it would be Klay. You don't get more 'A-side' than a historically great shooter who is a stellar defender and puts the team first.

FlashBolt
10-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Do you trust Klay to carry your franchise as a first option player?

Answer: No.

LeBron is an A-side player.
Curry is too.

Klay is not an A-side player.

tredigs
10-20-2016, 11:59 PM
Do you trust Klay to carry your franchise as a first option player?

Answer: No.

LeBron is an A-side player.
Curry is too.

Klay is not an A-side player.
Way to step out on a limb on your "A-Side" players there brotha. That's why you're the best.

Edit: No Durant? B-side now ay?

Htownballa1622
10-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Is there a shooting guard in the league who is quantifiably better than Klay? No.

You can point to Harden's 'play making', but Harden set a record in turnover 'making plays'. Those turnovers really kill the 'playmaker' argument. I'd rather have a guy who knows his limits and plays within them than a guy who turns the ball over that much.

on top of that, Klay is an elite defender while Harden is a liability on defense.

If I had to pick one shooting guard to have as my team's best player for the next five years, it would be Klay. You don't get more 'A-side' than a historically great shooter who is a stellar defender and puts the team first.

Let's just ignore mpg and usage?

Plus elite defender.... I think ppl are starting to overrate his defense.

Klay isn't a better player than Harden and Harden is a 1 option while creating for others while klay is a 2/now 3rd option.

There's a reason one of them is on pace to step right into h.o.f. while the other isn't.

tredigs
10-21-2016, 12:36 AM
Let's just ignore mpg and usage?

Plus elite defender.... I think ppl are starting to overrate his defense.

Klay isn't a better player than Harden and Harden is a 1 option while creating for others while klay is a 2/now 3rd option.

There's a reason one of them is on pace to step right into h.o.f. while the other isn't.

Let's consider context. Harden on the Warriors? Welcome to a 2/now 3rd option brother. IE you're back in OKC, only instead of Westbrook you now have TWO of the best scorers in history in front of you.

Klay is a 20+ PPG scorer on elite efficiency. He's also a clearly more engaged and more talented defender than Harden. He also has no off-court BS you have to deal with (paramount for a team driven to win, as you can see with other players). Where Harden separates himself to me is his playmaking ability (including his ability to play to the refs). Enough to close the gap and then some? It is to me, honestly. But not to a significant amount of GM's in the NBA who rate Klay above Harden.

tredigs
10-21-2016, 12:38 AM
In case it hasn't been mentioned btw. Jason Terry? Hood-rat mix tape.

Htownballa1622
10-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Let's consider context. Harden on the Warriors? Welcome to a 2/now 3rd option brother. IE you're back in OKC, only instead of Westbrook you now have TWO of the best scorers in history in front of you.

Klay is a 20+ PPG scorer on elite efficiency. He's also a clearly more engaged and more talented defender than Harden. He also has no off-court BS you have to deal with (paramount for a team driven to win, as you can see with other players). Where Harden separates himself to me is his playmaking ability (including his ability to play to the refs). Enough to close the gap and then some? It is to me, honestly. But not to a significant amount of GM's in the NBA who rate Klay above Harden.

But isn't that the point of this discussion? Harden is an a side player while klay is a supporting b side?

It's not a knock on klay as it is more the fact that he's not a number 1 option.

Sure if harden were on warriors he wouldn't be either but there is a gap between harden and klay.

Klay is a better defender. No denying that. But what's the off court issues with Harden? Just when ppl report on who he's dating? I don't get that statement.

Gms can be wrong too and the ones that'd pick klay over harden are wrong especially if you had to start a team with one or the other. With gsw, klay fits perfectly and makes more sense than harden.

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 10:05 AM
I don't think there's any scenario where I take Harden over Klay. And that hurts living in Houston.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 10:18 AM
If you think Klay can lead your team to the playoffs on that Houston roster, you need to stop speaking about basketball. Elite defense? Where?

Hawkeye15
10-21-2016, 10:41 AM
I don't think there's any scenario where I take Harden over Klay. And that hurts living in Houston.

when you need your guard to be a super high usage, create the entire offense, you take Harden over Klay.

I have said it before, I think both Houston, and GS, are hurt if you traded them straight up for each other.

cmellofan15
10-21-2016, 11:08 AM
okay, so apparently no one is going to provide any evidence justifying that Klay is this arbitrary term that we're throwing around? LMAO. If you only consider Lebron, KD, Steph and Kawhi "a-side" players, then sure, Klay doesn't belong in that group. but if you include guys like Harden, Westbrook and AD then absolutely he belongs. Klay has proven that he can create his own shot when given the opportunity (has put up 30+ thirty times, record 26-4 when doing so) as well as play off ball incredibly efficiently. He is a top 10 wing defender (whether or not you consider that "elite" is up to you) and even in games where he is forced to dominate the ball more he keeps his TO's relatively low (especially compared to RW and Harden).

Hawkeye15
10-21-2016, 11:11 AM
okay, so apparently no one is going to provide any evidence justifying that Klay is this arbitrary term that we're throwing around? LMAO. If you only consider Lebron, KD, Steph and Kawhi "a-side" players, then sure, Klay doesn't belong in that group. but if you include guys like Harden, Westbrook and AD then absolutely he belongs. Klay has proven that he can create his own shot when given the opportunity (has put up 30+ thirty times, record 26-4 when doing so) as well as play off ball incredibly efficiently. He is a top 10 wing defender (whether or not you consider that "elite" is up to you) and even in games where he is forced to dominate the ball more he keeps his TO's relatively low (especially compared to RW and Harden).

The thing is, we don't know if Klay is a top defender, if his offensive responsibilities were to skyrocket. He is given so much freedom because of what is around him.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 11:19 AM

1) Harden is absolutely an A-side player. So is AD and Westbrook. Who the hell would choose Klay over any of those guys? A fool would.
2) How A-side was Klay in the Finals? He looked like a lost puppy when the offense for the entire team caved in. Where was he?
3) Top 10 wing defender doesn't make you elite. Kawhi is a much better defender than Klay and he's elite. Klay is good. Klay was probably the fourth best defender on his team last season. Let's see how great his defense is when he has to carry a dreadful team to the playoffs. He has zero leadership skills and wouldn't know how to make a play for another teammate if you asked him to.
4) Yeah.. he keeps his turnovers low because he doesn't make any plays for his teammates. Off-ball players aren't there to make plays.
5) Oh, Warriors are 26-4 when he's putting up 30+ points? Is that why they have a BETTER RECORD when he doesn't put up 30+ points? Please enlighten us all on why that is. They are 26-4 when he scores 30. That must mean they are 47-5 when he doesn't score 30.
6) Proven when he can create his own shot doesn't put him on the same pedestal as Harden, AD, and Westbrook. The fact you even suggested he belongs at the same level of Westbrook is laughable. Just stop it. No coach past or present in any era of any sport would take Klay when they have Westbrook. He's nowhere close to that level. He's a scorer with good defensive ability who happens to be on an insanely great team that hides his deficiencies. I guarantee you would not be talking about Harden's lack of defense if his only role on the team was to score and defend. Let's see how Klay holds up when the opposing team's best defender is guarding Klay because I can guarantee you, Kawhi is not guarding Klay.. he's going to be on KD or Curry before he even thinks about Klay.

Oefarmy2005
10-21-2016, 12:28 PM
This ^. I am not even going to say Klay can't be that top level player(although probably not), but there is a big difference putting up 20 pts on a historically great team when you are the 3rd option and nobody really schemes for you and putting up 29 pts per game when you are constantly double/tripple teamed because nobody else on your team is worth squat. With all do respect, I dislike harden because he is a bit of a chucker, but to give credit where it's due, he is actually somewhat efficient doing so. I mean, let's face it, Harden is actually better then prime Bryant at doing what he does and here we are arguing that Klay has shown to be on the same level? So people not realize that Harden is putting up 7 more PPG on with much higher PER while constantly being schemed for and guarded by the other team's top defender? Quite honestly, like other people have said, Klay is not even in the top 10 players for me and a few of the players in the top 10 are on a plateau below that of Lebron, Durant, Harden and Curry. And I agree on Leonard not quite being there either - so no issues with Terry stating a fact.

cmellofan15
10-21-2016, 01:38 PM
1) Harden is absolutely an A-side player. So is AD and Westbrook. Who the hell would choose Klay over any of those guys? A fool would.

when did I ever imply that someone would choose him over those players? and for the record I would absolutely choose him over a player who can't stay on the court long enough to sustain a playoff run and I'm sure plenty people (not myself) would prefer klay to harden. stop trying to make it seem like it's such an egregious statement when plenty of people have already stated it.

2) How A-side was Klay in the Finals? He looked like a lost puppy when the offense for the entire team caved in. Where was he?

so because of one series he doesn't fit your criteria? well let's just take steph curry out of the coveted "a-side" as well. what about AD's season last year? let's take him out as well. oh and we can't forget Harden his pathetic playoff series last year. might as well take him out then...

3) Top 10 wing defender doesn't make you elite. Kawhi is a much better defender than Klay and he's elite. Klay is good. Klay was probably the fourth best defender on his team last season. Let's see how great his defense is when he has to carry a dreadful team to the playoffs. He has zero leadership skills and wouldn't know how to make a play for another teammate if you asked him to.

okay, if top 10 isn't elite to you then that's fine. I prefer not to use arbitrary terms to back baseless claims, I just ranked him among other players in the league. and Klay was the second best wing defender on his team behind Draymond (who is top 3 three in the league no question). and LMAO yeah, let's make up hypothetical situations. how much did Harden's defense suffer when he went from 3rd option to first? he peaked in defense two years ago as the number one option and the second highest USG of his career, so please save that tired argument. and even at his defensive peak he still wasn't close to klay defensively.

and he has zero leadership skills, really? compared to who...James Harden? LMAO give me a break. we are comparing him to a guy who talks **** about his team mates and just calls them pieces and role players? hahahaha what kind of argument is that? and he doesn't make plays for his team mates because he is being utilized as an off ball player. he has two incredible playmakers on his team already, they don't want him to dominate the ball. I don't think he would be as great of a playmaker as Harden if put in the same situation but you making him seem like he'd be chopped liver is absolutely ridiculous.

4) Yeah.. he keeps his turnovers low because he doesn't make any plays for his teammates. Off-ball players aren't there to make plays.

I said he keeps his turnovers low even when he is controlling the ball....so I'm not sure what your point is. and yeah, he doesn't make plays, he just magically scores 20 a night...

5) Oh, Warriors are 26-4 when he's putting up 30+ points? Is that why they have a BETTER RECORD when he doesn't put up 30+ points? Please enlighten us all on why that is. They are 26-4 when he scores 30. That must mean they are 47-5 when he doesn't score 30.

should've clarified even though it's fairly obvious that he didn't score 30+ thirty times last year lol; that stat is for the past 3 years. in that time span that they have been 188-55 and 26-4 when klay scores 30+. so their wins improve by 10% when he's scoring that much even though he's an abysmal playmake lmao.

6) Proven when he can create his own shot doesn't put him on the same pedestal as Harden, AD, and Westbrook. The fact you even suggested he belongs at the same level of Westbrook is laughable. Just stop it. No coach past or present in any era of any sport would take Klay when they have Westbrook. He's nowhere close to that level. He's a scorer with good defensive ability who happens to be on an insanely great team that hides his deficiencies. I guarantee you would not be talking about Harden's lack of defense if his only role on the team was to score and defend. Let's see how Klay holds up when the opposing team's best defender is guarding Klay because I can guarantee you, Kawhi is not guarding Klay.. he's going to be on KD or Curry before he even thinks about Klay.

hahahaha I guess westbrook would have no idea how it feels to benefit from playing with a superstar or an mvp? oh, wait...lmao stop being so dramatic. I didn't state just because he can create his own shot he belongs, it's his game in it's totality that puts him there. Klay obviously isn't as good as Westbrook but Westbrook obviously isn't as good as the top 3 players in the league. that's why I grouped them as such. but you know what? Westbrook's shot was awful and he let Curry get hot during that 3 game skid they had against the Warriors in the WCF so according to your previous criteria he shouldn't even be up in the "a-side" right?

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 01:50 PM
when did I ever imply that someone would choose him over those players? and for the record I would absolutely choose him over a player who can't stay on the court long enough to sustain a playoff run and I'm sure plenty people (not myself) would prefer klay to harden. stop trying to make it seem like it's such an egregious statement when plenty of people have already stated it.

so because of one series he doesn't fit your criteria? well let's just take steph curry out of the coveted "a-side" as well. what about AD's season last year? let's take him out as well. oh and we can't forget Harden his pathetic playoff series last year. might as well take him out then...

okay, if top 10 isn't elite to you then that's fine. I prefer not to use arbitrary terms to back baseless claims, I just ranked him among other players in the league. and Klay was the second best wing defender on his team behind Draymond (who is top 3 three in the league no question). and LMAO yeah, let's make up hypothetical situations. how much did Harden's defense suffer when he went from 3rd option to first? he peaked in defense two years ago as the number one option and the second highest USG of his career, so please save that tired argument. and even at his defensive peak he still wasn't close to klay defensively.

and he has zero leadership skills, really? compared to who...James Harden? LMAO give me a break. we are comparing him to a guy who talks **** about his team mates and just calls them pieces and role players? hahahaha what kind of argument is that? and he doesn't make plays for his team mates because he is being utilized as an off ball player. he has two incredible playmakers on his team already, they don't want him to dominate the ball. I don't think he would be as great of a playmaker as Harden if put in the same situation but you making him seem like he'd be chopped liver is absolutely ridiculous.

I said he keeps his turnovers low even when he is controlling the ball....so I'm not sure what your point is. and yeah, he doesn't make plays, he just magically scores 20 a night...

should've clarified even though it's fairly obvious that he didn't score 30+ thirty times last year lol; that stat is for the past 3 years. in that time span that they have been 188-55 and 26-4 when klay scores 30+. so their wins improve by 10% when he's scoring that much even though he's an abysmal playmake lmao.

hahahaha I guess westbrook would have no idea how it feels to benefit from playing with a superstar or an mvp? oh, wait...lmao stop being so dramatic. I didn't state just because he can create his own shot he belongs, it's his game in it's totality that puts him there. Klay obviously isn't as good as Westbrook but Westbrook obviously isn't as good as the top 3 players in the league. that's why I grouped them as such. but you know what? Westbrook's shot was awful and he let Curry get hot during that 3 game skid they had against the Warriors in the WCF so according to your previous criteria he shouldn't even be up in the "a-side" right?

1) That's what you don't get. Harden, AD, and Westbrook are on another level of basketball. Klay is not on their level. Again, go make a poll with the question, "Would you rather have Klay or AD if you were starting a team?" Do it for Klay vs Harden and Klay vs Westbrook. You will not like the results. Stop making it sound egregious? Correction: IT IS EGREGIOUS. Klay is the fourth best player on his team. Are you kidding me?

2) My point regarding Klay in the Finals is that when he couldn't score, he didn't really have much of an effect on the game. An A-side player does more than score. I did not see Klay's impact at all. It's sad that the Warriors with a healthy Iguodala would have gave a better fight than vice-versa. That's the truth, pal.

3) Harden was a very good defender for us when he played.. You probably didn't watch him but that's okay. You're not the first to say something you don't know but "think" you do.

4) Again, bringing up the leadership skills is not isolated to just Harden. Klay has ZERO leadership skills. When has he led anything? Put him on a team where he is forced to lead and you'll see how dysfunctional that team will be. He has zero capabilities of doing so and you can't prove he does.. Why? Because he's never shown any inclination of one.

5) Controlling the ball? You mean, when he's shooting it while his teammates set a pick? How do you turn the ball over like that? Klay doesn't play-make. He's a shooter. Pass him the ball when he's open and he scores it. Since when did you have to pass the ball to score 20 points? You can't turn the ball over when your role is to SHOOT THE DAMN BALL. Compare him to other basketball players of the same skillset. AKA, J.J Reddick. What you'll see is that they all have low turnovers. That's for a reason.

6) Your logic is terrible. No one would take Klay over AD, Westbrook, or Harden UNLESS they have a set system where they need a three & D player. That's his best asset and that qualifies as a B-side player. His three & D crap doesn't work as well when Kawhi Leonard is guarding you and that's a fact.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 01:53 PM
I feel sick even having to defend Westbrook/AD/Harden's place as A-side players. I find it laughable that CMelo thinks it's even debatable. Like seriously? No wonder you're such a Melo fan. I find that most Melo fans lack basketball judgement. It's like they throw away any common sense and look at simplistic numbers such as PPG.

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 01:53 PM
If you think Klay can lead your team to the playoffs on that Houston roster, you need to stop speaking about basketball. Elite defense? Where?

Did I say elite defense? This is my first comment in this thread. Eff off with your nonsense.

Harden is a sieve on defense. You have to HIDE Harden. Anything he gives you offensively over Klay is mitigated by how much he gives up defensively. There are two sides to the ball. I'd take a less versatile offensive player who is a plus on defense vs. someone who's only worried about stuffing his own numbers and can't be bothered to play half the game.

Harden disappears in the playoffs because they stop calling ticky-tack fouls, and that's his entire game. Without whistles he is only a slightly above average scorer. His entire value is that he gets to the line 3x as much as the average SG. And that doesn't happen when the games matter. And it's not like he plays any better defense then.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Did I say elite defense? This is my first comment in this thread. Eff off with your nonsense.

Harden is a sieve on defense. You have to HIDE Harden. Anything he gives you offensively over Klay is mitigated by how much he gives up defensively. There are two sides to the ball. I'd take a less versatile offensive player who is a plus on defense vs. someone who's only worried about stuffing his own numbers and can't be bothered to play half the game.

Harden disappears in the playoffs because they stop calling ticky-tack fouls, and that's his entire game. Without whistles he is only a slightly above average scorer. His entire value is that he gets to the line 3x as much as the average SG. And that doesn't happen when the games matter. And it's not like he plays any better defense then.

I must've missed the part where I quoted you. Can you direct me to that?

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 01:57 PM
I must've missed the part where I quoted you. Can you direct me to that?

So it was just a strawman argument then, when you said "Elite defense? Where?" Because I NEVER said that.

And a correction, this is my 2nd post in this thread. I was amazed people didn't know what B-side meant.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 01:59 PM
This ^. I am not even going to say Klay can't be that top level player(although probably not), but there is a big difference putting up 20 pts on a historically great team when you are the 3rd option and nobody really schemes for you and putting up 29 pts per game when you are constantly double/tripple teamed because nobody else on your team is worth squat. With all do respect, I dislike harden because he is a bit of a chucker, but to give credit where it's due, he is actually somewhat efficient doing so. I mean, let's face it, Harden is actually better then prime Bryant at doing what he does and here we are arguing that Klay has shown to be on the same level? So people not realize that Harden is putting up 7 more PPG on with much higher PER while constantly being schemed for and guarded by the other team's top defender? Quite honestly, like other people have said, Klay is not even in the top 10 players for me and a few of the players in the top 10 are on a plateau below that of Lebron, Durant, Harden and Curry. And I agree on Leonard not quite being there either - so no issues with Terry stating a fact.

It's like they don't understand the difference when you're the man vs when you're a sidekick. I would love to see the gameplan for opposing teams when they face the Warriors vs facing the Rockets.

GM: Let's stop Curry, then KD, then maybe Klay or Draymond.

GM: Everyone go defend Harden.

Is this even a discussion? Klay would get locked down if he was on a depleted team as the first option having to go against a team like the Spurs. Kawhi wouldn't let him get anywhere in the paint and he'll be on him so far up his *** he wouldn't be able to shoot a wide open three. So where does Klay's offense go to? He can't pass and he doesn't have Draymond+Bogut to set those dirty screens. Good luck, Klay. And right after this game against Kawhi, LeBron James says he wants to be the one guarding you. Klay, you don't know what you got yourself into.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 02:00 PM
So it was just a strawman argument then, when you said "Elite defense? Where?" Because I NEVER said that.

And a correction, this is my 2nd post in this thread. I was amazed people didn't know what B-side meant.

I never quoted you so my post wasn't directed to you. It was a generalized statement.

Here's what B-Side means.

Hint: You're not A-side.

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 02:06 PM
I never quoted you so my post wasn't directed to you. It was a generalized statement.

Here's what B-Side means.

Hint: You're not A-side.
ME: "I don't think there's any scenario where I take Harden over Klay. And that hurts living in Houston."

YOU, immediately after my post: "If you think Klay can lead your team to the playoffs on that Houston roster, you need to stop speaking about basketball. Elite defense? Where?"
Who exactly were you referring to when you said YOUR team on THAT HOUSTON roster? If you're going to talk smack, don't try to sidestep it when you get called out.

likemystylez
10-21-2016, 02:09 PM
I agree about Klay. Klay would be an average player if it wasn't for Curry, Green, Iggs and now Durant. It's so much easier to look the part when you are always open and can shoot. Imo, Klay is very overrated. He can shoot out gym though. But imo he wouldn't be who he is if he was a main option. Kawahi is defenitely a superstar. He's effective on both sides of ball. He is Scottie Pippen 2.0.

I would reference you to the series against Portland without steph there. Klay was great without steph curry. In the first round klay cancelled out james harden (terrys clear choice for an a side player)

Hawkeye15
10-21-2016, 02:10 PM
since I left Houston, I haven't watched Harden play at all, except when he is playing against the Wolves. I can't stand him

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 02:19 PM
ME: "I don't think there's any scenario where I take Harden over Klay. And that hurts living in Houston."

YOU, immediately after my post: "If you think Klay can lead your team to the playoffs on that Houston roster, you need to stop speaking about basketball. Elite defense? Where?"
Who exactly were you referring to when you said YOUR team on THAT HOUSTON roster? If you're going to talk smack, don't try to sidestep it when you get called out.

Don't you think I would have quoted you like I did with the other posters if I was referring to you? It was a generalized statement. I actually didn't even read your post because at that time, I was watching ESPN First Take and your post wasn't even up when I finished typing. Stop trying to blame me for your intuition in thinking I was referring to you. Would also help if you stopped being so hostile. How was I talking smack? Don't get mad here.

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Don't you think I would have quoted you like I did with the other posters if I was referring to you? It was a generalized statement. I actually didn't even read your post because at that time, I was watching ESPN First Take and your post wasn't even up when I finished typing. Stop trying to blame me for your intuition in thinking I was referring to you. Would also help if you stopped being so hostile. How was I talking smack? Don't get mad here.

My bad. I went back and looked at the thread and saw who you were directing that at. It's been a long week.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 02:22 PM
I would reference you to the series against Portland without steph there. Klay was great without steph curry. In the first round klay cancelled out james harden (terrys clear choice for an a side player)

If you're talking about offensive efficiency, yes, Klay evened out James Harden. If you're talking about overall role, no, Klay didn't even out James Harden. Read his post. Being in the Warriors would make most players look great -- let alone a top three SG. So great that some of you actually think Klay>Harden.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 02:23 PM
My bad. I went back and looked at the thread and saw who you were directing that at. It's been a long week.

It was a generalized statement. Plenty of individuals made a comment about Klay's "elite" defense and some made the assumption that Klay could do well on his own as well. I've quoted most of the people and responded to them directly so I honestly didn't even see your post until you quoted me a page back.

Generalized: make general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases.

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 02:26 PM
It was a generalized statement. Plenty of individuals made a comment about Klay's "elite" defense and some made the assumption that Klay could do well on his own as well. I've quoted most of the people and responded to them directly so I honestly didn't even see your post until you quoted me a page back.

Generalized: make general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases.

You can't say "your team" and "that Houston roster" and pretend that it's a generalized statement, man. You're specifically directing it at a Houston fan. That's pretty obvious.

FlashBolt
10-21-2016, 02:29 PM
You can't say "your team" and "that Houston roster" and pretend that it's a generalized statement, man. You're specifically directing it at a Houston fan. That's pretty obvious.

Okay, I'll help end this silly discussion. You're right, I'm wrong. I'm a complete dummy and you are right, as always.

IndyRealist
10-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Okay, I'll help end this silly discussion. You're right, I'm wrong. I'm a complete dummy and you are right, as always.

Well, yeah. :D

tredigs
10-21-2016, 08:08 PM
If you are an NBA All-Star with NBA records, have huge playoff takeover moments and 40% of NBA GM's consider you the best player at your position, suffice to say, you are the cream of the crop and the definition of "A side". Unless there are literally 8 "A side players", 8 "B side players" and the other 380 players are just garbage on the cutting room floor. And Kawhi is better than that player.

J Terry made a stupid and controversial comment - shocker. He's a nobody and it means nothing. Klay laughed it off, as he should have.

Saddletramp
10-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Way to step out on a limb on your "A-Side" players there brotha. That's why you're the best.

Edit: No Durant? B-side now ay?

Yeah, he quit. He's got amazing skills but a B Side heart.

tredigs
10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah, he quit. He's got amazing skills but a B Side heart.
You sound like the lyrics of a ****** b side R&B single.

valade16
10-23-2016, 12:24 PM
It is interesting that in this thread Terry is a scrub who wasn't very good and shouldn't talk about Klay/Kawhi but in the "Dirk/KG" thread it was "Dirk's had Terry" for why he had more help.

'A

FlashBolt
10-23-2016, 02:40 PM
It is interesting that in this thread Terry is a scrub who wasn't very good and shouldn't talk about Klay/Kawhi but in the "Dirk/KG" thread it was "Dirk's had Terry" for why he had more help.

'A

I'm not sure why they are calling him a scrub. He wasn't an elite player but the dude gave you 17 points a night on pretty efficient shooting. I can name many teams who could have used a prime JET.

tredigs
10-23-2016, 03:10 PM
He's a scrub relative to his own critique of his peers. I'm merely calling a spade a spade in his own definition of NBA talent.

lol, please
10-26-2016, 01:17 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-klay-thompson-confused-by-jason-terry-calling-him-b-side-player/

Agreed on Klay being a B-side but not Kawhi.

Why is Klay a B-side player?

lol, please
10-26-2016, 01:21 AM

Well said.

lol, please
10-26-2016, 01:28 AM
I guarantee you would not be talking about Harden's lack of defense if his only role on the team was to score and defend. Let's see how Klay holds up when the opposing team's best defender is guarding Klay because I can guarantee you, Kawhi is not guarding Klay.. he's going to be on KD or Curry before he even thinks about Klay.
Aaaaand, Kawhi was guarding Klay tonight...

kdspurman
10-26-2016, 01:37 AM

They had to alter their matchups a bit with Green out. But yea.. Kawhi does such a good job on Klay, Pop will sometimes put him on him to try and keep him out of rhythm, even if Durant/Curry are better players.

FlashBolt
10-26-2016, 02:20 AM

Even better... how did Klay perform? I think what Pop did was even smarter. Why bother stopping Curry+KD when you can just neutralize Klay? It's what Spurs did to LeBron. They literally D'd up everyone else and let LeBron get his. Miami ended up getting slaughtered. You essentially proved my point. Harden has to be guarded by guys like PG+Kawhi by default because he's their best player. Could you imagine the insane amount of pressure looming over Klay if he was getting that type of coverage?

tredigs
10-26-2016, 02:37 AM
Small but relevant sample size: Klay averaged 27/4/3 on 45/45/88 (on 20 attempts a night... roughly 65% TS... maybe higher) in the playoffs with Curry out. He'd be an efficient ~25 PPG scorer as the #1 option on any team.

Saddletramp
10-26-2016, 03:15 AM
Did someone tell Klay that this is the regular season? He was playing like it was the Finals tonight.

GoferKing_
10-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Even better... how did Klay perform? I think what Pop did was even smarter. Why bother stopping Curry+KD when you can just neutralize Klay? It's what Spurs did to LeBron. They literally D'd up everyone else and let LeBron get his. Miami ended up getting slaughtered. You essentially proved my point. Harden has to be guarded by guys like PG+Kawhi by default because he's their best player. Could you imagine the insane amount of pressure looming over Klay if he was getting that type of coverage?

Damn, this is my kind of strategy... I always say cover everyone and let the best player free roam to shoot them out of the game. xD