PDA

View Full Version : Heat and Kings have discussed swapping Dragic for Rudy Gay and Collison

spreadeagle
10-18-2016, 10:55 PM
The Miami Heat are in a weird place. Following the departures of Dwyane Wade and Luol Deng, and Pat Riley announcing that Chris Bosh has no future with the team because of his medical condition, 30-year-old guard Goran Dragic and 27-year-old center Hassan Whiteside are surrounded by young players and journeymen. This doesn't look like a playoff team, but Dragic, Whiteside and second-year forward Justise Winslow could do just enough to keep the team from getting a great draft pick next June.

In that context emerges a trade rumor from Basketball Insiders' Michael Scotto, who reported Tuesday that the Heat and Sacramento Kings have discussed swapping Dragic for forward Rudy Gay and guard Darren Collison. From the Kings' perspective, this makes perfect sense: Gay wants out and reportedly likes the idea of going to Miami, and Dragic would be a massive upgrade at their weakest position.

From the Heat's perspective, well, it's hard to see this move making them a better team tomorrow. But that wouldn't be the point.

There's a strong argument to be made that Miami should tank this season. There aren't many teams participating in the race to the bottom this year, and the Heat's lack of depth and experience means that it would be relatively easy to get in the mix for the No. 1 seed. Giving up Dragic would be the first logical step in any tanking operation, and putting Gay next to a bunch of guys who don't space the floor would certainly not be a recipe for success. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/in-light-of-goran-dragic-rudy-gay-trade-rumor-should-heat-hit-tank-mode/

Blink
10-18-2016, 11:26 PM
No way this happens.

Dade County
10-18-2016, 11:33 PM
If HEAT can get an unprotected first-round pick (with'in 3yrs), then do it.

Gay, whoever & unprotected 1st rd pick.

Wade n Fade
10-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Not happening. Collison had legal issues. Rudy Gay makes teams worse than they actually are. Toronto and Memphis got better as soon as they dealt Gay.

beasted86
10-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Makes sense if we're trying to tank to flip Dragić for expiring contracts basically.

But I've never really seen Riley 'try to tank' with a trade. If his teams are bad, then they're just bad and he usually doesn't try to help that along sans 2007 resting Marion and others after Wade needed surgery. But I haven't witnessed a salary dump trade from him of one of the team's best players for an expiring contract yet.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-19-2016, 09:56 AM
If true, not pretty for Rileys resume. He gave up Two first round picks, signed Dragic to 5 year contract and only to trade him away for expirings a year later? Riley has too much pride for this to be true, let's be honest here.

IndyRealist
10-19-2016, 10:35 AM
At this point I feel like Miami is getting underrated. They need to open up the court for Dragic and Winslow with 3pt shooters who can run the floor. Gay would do nothing but stunt Winslow's growth. I don't think they're close enough to the bottom to justify tanking.

Is McRoberts still there? He's looked like he was phoning it in the past couple of years, but as a dirty work guy who is an excellent passer, I think he's ideal for that lineup.

Wade n Fade
10-19-2016, 11:21 AM
If true, not pretty for Rileys resume. He gave up Two first round picks, signed Dragic to 5 year contract and only to trade him away for expirings a year later? Riley has too much pride for this to be true, let's be honest here.

Pride shouldn't get in the way of ousting Dragic if the trade is right. Look at the Pats and Belicheck? Got rid of one of the best pass rushers for a pick and a bust OL man in Cooper. They just cut Cooper recently. Even Riley can make mistakes of drafting Beasley. Considering what Miami gave up for Dragic? It was mere peanuts + picks. Some of the picks have protection on them as well.

JLynn943
10-19-2016, 11:53 AM
If HEAT can get an unprotected first-round pick (with'in 3yrs), then do it.

Gay, whoever & unprotected 1st rd pick.

wtf lol

Dragic is not that good. I'd probably do the proposed Dragic for Gay and Colllson, but that's only because Gay wants out. Otherwise, we're losing that trade talent-wise.

Chronz
10-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Makes sense if we're trying to tank to flip Dragić for expiring contracts basically.

But I've never really seen Riley 'try to tank' with a trade. If his teams are bad, then they're just bad and he usually doesn't try to help that along sans 2007 resting Marion and others after Wade needed surgery. But I haven't witnessed a salary dump trade from him of one of the team's best players for an expiring contract yet.

I see this as Riley getting 2 starters for 1

mrblisterdundee
10-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Anything other than a tear-down is useless for the Kings. Every day they wait, Cousins' contract becomes less valuable as a trade asset. Trade him, Gay and Koufos for some guards and wings already, and focus on the other four or five big men competing for time.

Wade n Fade
10-19-2016, 01:32 PM
wtf lol

Dragic is not that good. I'd probably do the proposed Dragic for Gay and Colllson, but that's only because Gay wants out. Otherwise, we're losing that trade talent-wise.

Doesn't matter if he's "not that good." You have to remember that Vivek Ranadive isn't Peter Holt or Micky Airson. Teams make trades that are dumbfounding. Utah gave up a first rounder for George freaking Hill. If George Hill could command a lotto pick, then Dragic being considered for a 1st isn't unreasonable, especially unprotected. Dragic has one of the better cap friendlier deals for a starting PG with good upside. He was 3rd all-NBA caliber at one point. He's ball dominant, which is why he struggled in Miami and in last season with Phoenix. He is a dribble drive penetrator with good vision. Let's not kid ourselves that he hasn't been utilized properly. In addition, his contract became team friendly when took a little less $ to re-sign with the Heat.

Chronz
10-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Doesn't matter if he's "not that good." You have to remember that Vivek Ranadive isn't Peter Holt or Micky Airson. Teams make trades that are dumbfounding. Utah gave up a first rounder for George freaking Hill. If George Hill could command a lotto pick, then Dragic being considered for a 1st isn't unreasonable, especially unprotected. Dragic has one of the better cap friendlier deals for a starting PG with good upside. He was 3rd all-NBA caliber at one point. He's ball dominant, which is why he struggled in Miami and in last season with Phoenix. He is a dribble drive penetrator with good vision. Let's not kid ourselves that he hasn't been utilized properly. In addition, his contract became team friendly when took a little less $ to re-sign with the Heat.

You will soon learn the value of George Hill

JLynn943
10-19-2016, 04:00 PM

We got a 1st for Marco Belinelli coming off a terrible year. A first can have drastically different value depending on the team it's coming from. Rudy Gay and an unprotected 1st though (plus another player)? That's a pipe dream.

Besides, we don't have the ability to trade a 1st until our Sixers and Bulls obligations are met. If we trade a first, it can only be after the draft order is set.

kobe4thewinbang
10-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Some potential for Dragic on the Kings, as he'd basically go from playing with Whiteside to Cousins. But that team is a mess, a larger one than the also messy Heat situation. Gay would help, but he wants another big contract and Dragic's contract > Paying Gay a new one. Dragic can help develop the young guys once they're healthy. Collison is a wild card, and leverage seems to be on Miami's side because Dragic > Lawson & Collison and Gay won't resign with Kings.

Wade n Fade
10-19-2016, 08:16 PM
You will soon learn the value of George Hill

Already seen the George Hill show. It was pretty mediocre.

Stunner
10-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Rumor that okc and sac discussed a trade that sent Rudy to okc for Payne before he messed up his foot

Stunner
10-19-2016, 09:30 PM

He was steady last season nothing amazing tho , 44% FG and 40% 3pt shooter. He's the perfect off ball guard to a player like James Harden and Bron.

beasted86
10-19-2016, 10:14 PM
I see this as Riley getting 2 starters for 1

You really think Riley would have long term plans for Gay and Collison (see: resign them this summer)?

I don't think so. Just my opinion.

SteBO
10-20-2016, 07:24 AM
No way this happens imo. But if it was to go down, it would make sense for it to happen in December or so when Pat sees what we have in this current roster and while I see Chronz' point in 2 staters for one, these two starters aren't gonna be in our future plans and simply put, this isn't a move Riley ever makes willingly. The current group would have to perform pretty badly for Pat to pull the trigger on this.

Jimm
10-20-2016, 09:03 AM
I love the optimism. Like Pat Riley is going to strong-arm the entire league in every single trade deal. What is so attractive about dragic's 20m dollar salary in a few years when he is aged 33-4?

Obviously the cap is going to increase but can we really make the excuse "oh he'll be better in another system", or talk about how good he once was?? His value is minimal.

warfelg
10-20-2016, 09:03 AM
You really think Riley would have long term plans for Gay and Collison (see: resign them this summer)?

I don't think so. Just my opinion.

Yea. I give it up to Pat. He's a smart guy. This move is more about a one time "good" pick and to clear cap next year after his move with Wade backfired.

Whiteside, Winslow, Richardson, 10-20 pick, + max cap space is a situation he can make work.

JLynn943
10-20-2016, 09:52 AM
I love the optimism. Like Pat Riley is going to strong-arm the entire league in every single trade deal. What is so attractive about dragic's 20m dollar salary in a few years when he is aged 33-4?

Obviously the cap is going to increase but can we really make the excuse "oh he'll be better in another system", or talk about how good he once was?? His value is minimal.

Didn't you know? He's on the Heat. It's like the New York or LA effect where the value of the player is drastically higher than what it should be just because of where they play. Or at least that's what the fans seem to think.

Chronz
10-20-2016, 12:55 PM
No way this happens imo. But if it was to go down, it would make sense for it to happen in December or so when Pat sees what we have in this current roster and while I see Chronz' point in 2 staters for one, these two starters aren't gonna be in our future plans and simply put, this isn't a move Riley ever makes willingly. The current group would have to perform pretty badly for Pat to pull the trigger on this.

But if the group performs bad, will the trade still be available? Retaining the talent is prolly not in the cards but hasn't Riley long liked Gay?

Chronz
10-20-2016, 12:56 PM

You will soon learn the truth