PDA

View Full Version : Who wins Rookie of the Year now?

kobe4thewinbang
10-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Ben Simmons, fitting the theme of 76ers, has a fractured foot and his agent says he is unlikely to play this season, with most fans saying he shouldn't or at the least barely play this season. So, with Simmons as the most likely to have won the award, who wins now if he sits out?

I think my boy Brandon Ingram might have a shot with his defense and his natural shooting ability. Lakers look a'ight so far in preseason, but it's preseason.

Who else might snatch it? Buddy Hield as a volume scorer? Who ya got? I think peeps were saying it was a weak draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NBA_draft#Draft_selections

Stunner
10-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Paul ZIPSER

More-Than-Most
10-14-2016, 10:23 PM
Its Embiid... Nobody else stands a chance sorry.

warfelg
10-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Embiid/Saric.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
10-14-2016, 10:39 PM
If he gets good PT I think thon maker has an outside shot.
My pick right now would be ingram.

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Even if Ben Simmons had played this season, I would have given Joel Embiid an equal chance of winning Rookie of the Year. He looks just as promising, if not a little more.

tredigs
10-15-2016, 12:23 AM
Sadly I'd never put money on Embiid to win ROY. He's shown the ability to get to the line, but he's forcing shots that don't look very good. Still, the 3rd year pro (?) is more than good enough to win ROY in such a weak current draft class that's also missing it's #1. What would concern me with him is the obvious. We haven't seen him play 20 minutes yet and frankly with him it just feels like it's a matter of time before he's missing a large number of games (hopefully not the whole season).

If I was betting I'd go with Buddy Hield. He's not a project and has a proven ability to score - which the Pelicans will need from him. He'll be a ~20 PPG guy and that should be enough to secure ROY in this class.

kobe4thewinbang
10-15-2016, 07:23 AM
Especially with Jrue and AD being out.

TheDish87
10-15-2016, 08:03 AM
guys like Ingram and Dunn coming off the bench arent gonna have a chance to win ROY, the opportunity wont compare to others. If Embiid is really getting 20-24 mins to start the season he has to be the current favorite with what he has displayed so far. Heilds chances have increased as well with Holiday out, though i liked him to compete for it regardless.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-15-2016, 07:47 PM
Jaylen Brown.

tredigs
10-15-2016, 09:51 PM
guys like Ingram and Dunn coming off the bench arent gonna have a chance to win ROY, the opportunity wont compare to others. If Embiid is really getting 20-24 mins to start the season he has to be the current favorite with what he has displayed so far. Heilds chances have increased as well with Holiday out, though i liked him to compete for it regardless.

ROY's are generally 30+mpg guys. Can we count on one hand who won ROY playing 20-24 mpg in the last 50 years? Not gonna research it, but doubtful. I'd actually be surprised if it has ever occurred. He's also not Shaq. Let's make that VERY clear. I've watched every single minute he has played this preseason, the kid is a kid. He has immense talent but equally immense holes. He struggles to create for himself and mostly others big time.

tredigs
10-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Jaylen Brown.

0% would be my objective take.

IndyRealist
10-16-2016, 10:49 AM
If he gets good PT I think thon maker has an outside shot.
My pick right now would be ingram.

In the game I watched Maker didn't look like he belonged on the court.

TheDish87
10-17-2016, 08:55 AM
ROY's are generally 30+mpg guys. Can we count on one hand who won ROY playing 20-24 mpg in the last 50 years? Not gonna research it, but doubtful. I'd actually be surprised if it has ever occurred. He's also not Shaq. Let's make that VERY clear. I've watched every single minute he has played this preseason, the kid is a kid. He has immense talent but equally immense holes. He struggles to create for himself and mostly others big time.

20-24 mins is just to open the season and he was just cleared for back to backs. The mins will go up as the season goes along and if his production is anything like its been so far he will be in the running. ROY is an award based on basic stats and production.

tredigs
10-17-2016, 09:02 AM
20-24 mins is just to open the season and he was just cleared for back to backs. The mins will go up as the season goes along and if his production is anything like its been so far he will be in the running. ROY is an award based on basic stats and production.
20-24 mins is to open the season... assuming no setbacks. Anyone looking at this objectively has to accept the fact that he will have a setback, the question is how significant it will be. If he's healthy then yes it will be between him and Hield and Embiid probably should and would take it. It's a looong season though, I'm just hoping we get a few solid months out of him before he's shut down.

TheDish87
10-17-2016, 09:49 AM
There is no reason to think he will have a setback. He was been taking bumps, been thrown to the floor, guarding PG's at the top of the key, running the floor, etc with no issues. It goes back to what most thought with the 2nd surgery coming as a result of him still growing preventing the screw from staying in place. Im not sure how many mins he will be maxed at though, personally i never really expected it to go beyond 25 but it seems like he could be seeing 30+ after the first 2 months.

tredigs
10-17-2016, 09:56 AM
There is no reason to think he will have a setback. He was been taking bumps, been thrown to the floor, guarding PG's at the top of the key, running the floor, etc with no issues. It goes back to what most thought with the 2nd surgery coming as a result of him still growing preventing the screw from staying in place. Im not sure how many mins he will be maxed at though, personally i never really expected it to go beyond 25 but it seems like he could be seeing 30+ after the first 2 months.

While I appreciate your unabashed optimism, it's probably not entirely grounded in reality if you think Joel Embiid will be a 25-30+ mpg guy for the entirety of a season this year. Hope you're right though.

TheDish87
10-17-2016, 10:56 AM
oh no i dont think he will see 25+ all season nor do i really want him too. If Simmons was available i might think different on that. i think he will see some games with 30+ mins later in the season but i still think he should sit on back to back for the first month or two.

Tg11
10-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Embiid wins Rookie of the Year provided he stays healthy and doesn't get injured then Embiid will win it...if not him then Ingram for sure