PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo heated over SLAM ranking

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Carmelo Anthony was upset over being ranked 15th by SLAM Magazine.

While the mag said that Carmelo can "still get buckets with the best" in their write-up for Carmelo, it also conceded that his overall reputation is tied to his team’s success—and since the Knicks haven’t had much of it in recent years, they were forced to move Carmelo down on their list accordingly.
Carmelo found out and proceeded to call SLAM out for his ranking. In one comment that he left on Instagram, he said the mag lost "all credibility" by putting him at No. 15.
- Chris Yuscavage, Complex (http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/10/carmelo-anthony-calls-slam-out-putting-him-no-15-nba-player-rankings)
Do you think there are at least 14 players better than Carmelo Anthony? Who are they?

R!kSm!tz
10-14-2016, 02:19 PM
So if your reputation is decided by team success how is Wade 30th, Green 16th I believe, and so on?

Jetsguy
10-14-2016, 02:27 PM
We just did this exercise didn't we? PSD ranks him as the 18th best player.
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?914143-30th-Best-Player-in-the-NBA-(FINAL-THREAD!)

Hawkeye15
10-14-2016, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't even rank him there anymore. 15th that is.

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2016, 02:38 PM
1. LeBron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. Kevin Durant
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Chris Paul
7. Paul George
8. Anthony Davis
9. Draymond Green
10. Blake Griffin
11. James Harden
12. Klay Thompson
13. Kyrie Irving
14. Carmelo Anthony
15. Jimmy Butler

Obviously, I lean toward more two-way players. DeMarcus Cousins could be top-five in the league this season, if he'd just play more defense. Jimmy Butler's just as good a defender as Thompson, but nowhere near the offensive weapon. As a Blazers fan, I'd love to rank Damian Lillard higher — but once again, defense.

Htownballa1622
10-14-2016, 02:51 PM
I was just talking to ppl on FB about this.
I'd say 15 is fair. It may be even a little high to some ppl.
I was then told Melo was "a top 3 scorer."
I disagreed with just about everything they said.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 02:53 PM
He and Kobe are such babies when it comes to stuff like this. 10 years ago he was a scoring machine would have had a point. 3 years ago he was playing some of his best all around basketball and would have had a point. His scoring has dropped 3 seasons in a row. He's been a bum perimeter shooter the last 2 years. He will always take far too many stupid shots. He's still a terrible help defender. And the Knicks have been bad as a team. What is he complaining about? #earnyourrank

Chronz
10-14-2016, 02:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbaWGBUyGP0

Havent seen SAS sweat like that, so glad Kellerman got his groove back

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Do you think there are at least 14 players better than Carmelo Anthony? Who are they?

But that's the problem. It's all about perspective. Let's say we made a list:

Top 5: LeBron, Curry, Durant, Kawhi, Paul
Top 10: Harden, Westbrook, ADavis, George, Griffin
Top 15: Lillard, Aldridge, KAT, Draymond, Green
Top 20: Lowry, Butler, Horford, DJ, IsThomas

He is better than how many of those people? Maybe 4-5? Even if we are being generous and put him around 11th there is no way that the entire list "loses credibility" by having him off by a few spots. Only if it had any of those top 5 guys around his ranking would it be worth a comment like that. It just hurts his ego because he's coming off an Olympic Gold and he feels like he's a Hall of Famer getting snubbed because he's got the most golds in Olympic history so how could he not be a top 10 player. Easy Carmelo because you haven't played like one in 3 seasons.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Carmelo was 45th in win shares. Doesn't play a full season. Doesn't play full games. Doesn't produce. Doesn't get the Knicks wins. Not a top 10 player. Quiet SAS.

ManningToTyree
10-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Seems about right to me

FlashBolt
10-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Carmelo was 45th in win shares. Doesn't play a full season. Doesn't play full games. Doesn't produce. Doesn't get the Knicks wins. Not a top 10 player. Quiet SAS.

Are we going to say a Porzingis avatar soon from you? SAS is just terrible and plays buttbuddies with people he reports so he can be invited to cool parties and weddings. Kellerman absolutely destroyed him. Stephen A was also suggesting that Carmelo is better than Kawhi.. That boat sailed about two years ago.. Gordon Hayward might crack to the top five SF's tbh.

R!kSm!tz
10-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Chris Paul is 11th.

FlashBolt
10-14-2016, 04:19 PM
LeBron
CP3
Curry
Westbrook
KD
Kawhi
Blake
Cousins
Davis
Harden
George
Butler
Draymond
Lillard
Aldridge
Klay
Kyrie

I'd also take Wade over Melo. There's zero chance Melo is top 15 unless all you care about is scoring and even then, he's been inefficient the past few years.

R!kSm!tz
10-14-2016, 04:24 PM
LeBron
CP3
Curry
Westbrook
KD
Kawhi
Blake
Cousins
Davis
Harden
George
Butler
Draymond
Lillard
Aldridge
Klay
Kyrie

I'd also take Wade over Melo. There's zero chance Melo is top 15 unless all you care about is scoring and even then, he's been inefficient the past few years.

I would also take these guys over him. I don't get why he's held to such a high standard. He hasn't had his team in the playoffs for years and I highly doubt they make it this year. Their starting lineup is overrated and they aren't deep at all. Of course I could be completely wrong, but that's just my opinion so far.

Sadds The Gr8
10-15-2016, 10:38 PM
should be thankful for that ranking. he's not even top 15.

More-Than-Most
10-15-2016, 11:11 PM
I love how stupid melo and other players are... its not the melo lost 10 steps even though he did lose a few... its that others got a lot better... why is that a slight that other guys like AD/Westy and so on all got better over the years where he started to slightly fall off?

KingPosey
10-16-2016, 01:36 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. Kevin Durant
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Chris Paul
7. Paul George
8. Anthony Davis
9. Draymond Green
10. Blake Griffin
11. James Harden
12. Klay Thompson
13. Kyrie Irving
14. Carmelo Anthony
15. Jimmy Butler

Obviously, I lean toward more two-way players. DeMarcus Cousins could be top-five in the league this season, if he'd just play more defense. Jimmy Butler's just as good a defender as Thompson, but nowhere near the offensive weapon. As a Blazers fan, I'd love to rank Damian Lillard higher — but once again, defense.

I'm tired of people saying Cousins can't play defense. There's all kinds of stats that point to him being an above average defender. He can and does play defense.

More-Than-Most
10-16-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm tired of people saying Cousins can't play defense. There's all kinds of stats that point to him being an above average defender. He can and does play defense.

Na bro hes trash because he cant carry 9 other guys to the playoffs even though AD only did it once with a better roster.

Sadds The Gr8
10-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Na bro hes trash because he cant carry 9 other guys to the playoffs even though AD only did it once with a better roster.

Davis is easily better

tredigs
10-16-2016, 08:38 AM
1. LeBron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. Kevin Durant
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Chris Paul
7. Paul George
8. Anthony Davis
9. Draymond Green
10. Blake Griffin
11. James Harden
12. Klay Thompson
13. Kyrie Irving
14. Carmelo Anthony
15. Jimmy Butler

Jimmy's actually a better defender than Klay and I'd argue just as important offensively. Klay is untouchable in his role but he's nowhere near as versatile as Jimmy offensively (who can score in more ways, get to the line at a high rate and is a playmaker). He's unquestionably a better player than Melo. Dame is as well... how is he not? He scores more and creates more and does it at a more efficient clip. Dame's D might suck, but Melo's porous D isn't going to close any gaps on better offensive players than him.

And going into next year, if given the choice I'd rather have Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, Andre Drummond, Paul Millsap, KAT, Gordon Hayward, John Wall (so under appreciated) and probably a few others over him. Last season he was an inefficient and ineffective 22ppg scoring wing with lousy D who led NYK to 32 wins, and he's not getting any younger. Top 15? Not a chance.

tredigs
10-16-2016, 10:34 AM
I'd also take Kris Middleton (post injury) over Melo and would not think twice about it.

valade16
10-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Davis is easily better

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=DeMarcus+Cousins&player_id1_select=DeMarcus+Cousins&y1=2016&player_id1=couside01&hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&y2=2016&player_id2=davisan02

Last year their lines were remarkably similar. In fact Cousins had a higher BPM and VORP.

I agree AD is a better player, but he had a very underwhelming season compared to his excellent year prior.

Sadds The Gr8
10-16-2016, 01:22 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=DeMarcus+Cousins&player_id1_select=DeMarcus+Cousins&y1=2016&player_id1=couside01&hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&y2=2016&player_id2=davisan02

Last year their lines were remarkably similar. In fact Cousins had a higher BPM and VORP.

I agree AD is a better player, but he had a very underwhelming season compared to his excellent year prior.
He definitely disappointed last year, but yea, he's better than cousins.

THE MTL
10-16-2016, 03:51 PM
I personally think Top 15 is about right and I say that as a Knick fan

mrblisterdundee
10-17-2016, 01:33 AM
Jimmy's actually a better defender than Klay and I'd argue just as important offensively. Klay is untouchable in his role but he's nowhere near as versatile as Jimmy offensively (who can score in more ways, get to the line at a high rate and is a playmaker). He's unquestionably a better player than Melo. Dame is as well... how is he not? He scores more and creates more and does it at a more efficient clip. Dame's D might suck, but Melo's porous D isn't going to close any gaps on better offensive players than him.

And going into next year, if given the choice I'd rather have Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, Andre Drummond, Paul Millsap, KAT, Gordon Hayward, John Wall (so under appreciated) and probably a few others over him. Last season he was an inefficient and ineffective 22ppg scoring wing with lousy D who led NYK to 32 wins, and he's not getting any younger. Top 15? Not a chance.

It was pretty close for me between Butler and Anthony. Part of it was their teams. The Bulls before this year were much better than the Knicks. I think Anthony's going to become a more efficient scorer and shooter with more weapons around him. The win shares will naturally perk up as a result of more overall success. Butler's going to be great, but the lane seems pretty crowded in Chicago.

R!kSm!tz
10-17-2016, 09:54 AM
It was pretty close for me between Butler and Anthony. Part of it was their teams. The Bulls before this year were much better than the Knicks. I think Anthony's going to become a more efficient scorer and shooter with more weapons around him. The win shares will naturally perk up as a result of more overall success. Butler's going to be great, but the lane seems pretty crowded in Chicago.

The Knicks aren't good. They have no depth at all and Rose and Noah are washed up. I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs.

omdigga
10-17-2016, 10:57 AM
I rather him not care about where a magazine ranks him.
"All im focused on is this team and the upcoming season." would have been a great quote.

TheDish87
10-17-2016, 11:36 AM
for starters ranking Melo in the top 15 is generous. However, the fact that he cares about what some bball magazine ranked him is pretty sad.

mrblisterdundee
10-17-2016, 06:58 PM
The Knicks aren't good. They have no depth at all and Rose and Noah are washed up. I have a hard time seeing them making the playoffs.

The Knicks are significantly better compared to Chicago than they were last year — the gap closed a bit. I didn't say anything about whether they'll make the playoffs.
Anthony's win shares are going to increase this year because his entire team is going to do better. The same might happen with Butler in Chicago.
Both Anthony and Butler are being miscast as small forwards. Butler should be a shooting guard surrounded by shooters. Anthony should be a small-ball power forward playing next to Porzingis at center.
But I think Anthony's going to have an easier time shooting and efficiently scoring within his roster than Butler, who faces a very crowded lane with two other non-shooters in the back court. Butler will really need to up his outside shot if he wants to be effective.

mightybosstone
10-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Melo hasn't been a top 20 player since the 2013-14 season. He's getting by on reputation at this point, and he should be thrilled to be ranked at 15.

tredigs
10-18-2016, 01:25 AM
OK, but in a vacuum as players Jimmy is far more productive. He's arguably just as good offensively at this point (Statistically better) and just 3-4 tiers better defensively. I'm not concerned about their WS/48 or role within the team, Jimmy is a flat out better ball player.

Sanjay
01-19-2017, 07:48 PM

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Paul
4. K. Leonard
5. A. Davis
6. Curry
7. Harden
8. Westbrook
9. Griffin
10. Butler
11. Irving
12. Lillard
13. Wall
14. D. Cousins

tredigs
01-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Funny looking back at this. Melo is not a top 30 player, let alone top 15.

Avenged
01-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Well, if he wasn't top 15 when this came out, he definitely isn't now. So much for that super team, huh Rose?

JasonJohnHorn
01-20-2017, 12:23 AM
People complain about Harden's D..... Melo's D is just as bad. He gives up on plays so easy.

I'd say a 15 ranking is generous. I can think of 20 players I'd rather have. Four of the play for the Warriors, and three of the play for the Cavs.

I mean... Butler does pretty much every thing Melo can do and does it better, AND he plays defense on top of it.

Harden. Westy. Leonard. Paul George. CP3. Blake. DMC. KAT. AD. Gian-woolongunpronounceablename. LMA? Sure. I'd take Horford over Melo. Conley? M. Gasol? Sure. Why not. Hayward? A case can be made. Lowry and DM;DR? Um... ok. I mean... it is of course subjective, but considering how the Knicks have struggled with Melo, I'd say that 15 is generous.

Giannis94
01-20-2017, 01:00 AM
Jabari>Melo

Quinnsanity
01-20-2017, 01:20 AM
I had him ranked 21st before the season. He has obviously fallen.

HandsOnTheWheel
01-20-2017, 02:27 AM
He sucks bro

LA4life24/8
01-20-2017, 02:46 PM
This is hilarious in retrospect. He was mad then, where you think they'd rank him now?! 😅

Alayla
01-20-2017, 02:51 PM
This is hilarious in retrospect. He was mad then, where you think they'd rank him now?! 😅

It was at the time as well Mello hasn't been that guy for awhile.