PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Phil could coach a championship team around a Westbrook/Cousins Duo?

Purch
10-14-2016, 10:26 AM
I was just having a moment of thought around the triangle offense in todays game. One of the issues I tend to see with it, is that it just doesn't play to a lot of players strengths. So I decided to brainstorm two stars who's games really fit into the triangle.

The two I came up with are Russell Westbrook and Demarcus Cousins.

In this scenario I'd have Westbrook at the position people have been arguing about for years, Shooting guard. Westbrook's ability to pull up from mid range, post up, and attack the rim aggressively perfectly fit the kind of opportunities the triangle affords it's perimeter scorers (Melo, Kobe and Jordan). The triangle would allow Westbrook to dominate 1-1 with his speed against other two guards in the league.

In regards to Demarcus, I definitely think there's no other big in the league who would be as effective as Cousins in a Shaq like role in the triangle. He can bang down low, finish against contact, draw fouls, draw consistent double teams, and rebound the ball. I think he would absolutely benefit from being able to have the space down low to work in the post, rather than having to float out to the perimeter.

So my question becomes a three parter.

1. In a scenario where Phil Jackson had Westbrook as his 2-guard, and Cousins as his center (Surrounded by solid role players, and a good bench), do you think he could lead the team to a championship utilizing the triangle?

2. Do you think the triangle plays to the strengths of Westbrook/Cousins game? And do you think they could maximize their opportunities under it?

3. In the case that you answered yes to both the previous two questions, who would you surround them in the starting lineup?

PG:?
SG: Westbrook
SF:?
PF:?
C: Demarcus

nycericanguy
10-14-2016, 10:41 AM
George Hill - very good defense, doesn't need the ball that much, and elite 3pt shooting for spacing
Westbrook
Jae Crowder - solid 3 & D guy that can play multiple positions
Diaw - decent floor spacing, great passing and can defend inside some too.
DMC

i picked role players, and yes I think that team could win a title.

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I would still put Westbrook at point guard, and Cousins at center. Then fill the roster out with 3-and-D guys. Ironically, Ibaka would have been one of the best possible front court partners for a player like Cousins.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 02:33 PM
I was just having a moment of thought around the triangle offense in todays game. One of the issues I tend to see with it, is that it just doesn't play to a lot of players strengths. So I decided to brainstorm two stars who's games really fit into the triangle.

The two I came up with are Russell Westbrook and Demarcus Cousins.

In this scenario I'd have Westbrook at the position people have been arguing about for years, Shooting guard. Westbrook's ability to pull up from mid range, post up, and attack the rim aggressively perfectly fit the kind of opportunities the triangle affords it's perimeter scorers (Melo, Kobe and Jordan). The triangle would allow Westbrook to dominate 1-1 with his speed against other two guards in the league.

In regards to Demarcus, I definitely think there's no other big in the league who would be as effective as Cousins in a Shaq like role in the triangle. He can bang down low, finish against contact, draw fouls, draw consistent double teams, and rebound the ball. I think he would absolutely benefit from being able to have the space down low to work in the post, rather than having to float out to the perimeter.

So my question becomes a three parter.

1. In a scenario where Phil Jackson had Westbrook as his 2-guard, and Cousins as his center (Surrounded by solid role players, and a good bench), do you think he could lead the team to a championship utilizing the triangle?

2. Do you think the triangle plays to the strengths of Westbrook/Cousins game? And do you think they could maximize their opportunities under it?

3. In the case that you answered yes to both the previous two questions, who would you surround them in the starting lineup?

PG:?
SG: Westbrook
SF:?
PF:?
C: Demarcus

No the triangle is stale. It didn't increase the value of the player's in the system like other offenses have it simply provided the best outlet for superstars to play within a system. The offenses that the Spurs/Warriors have run in past years are far superior. They just require stars who sacrifice, move the ball, and can shoot. I suppose that is why the triangle might work for two stars like Westbrook and Cousins. Part of the problem is Cousins doesn't have the same mindset of Shaq. He would play out of position. He's not trying to back you down and dunk in your face every play. He thinks he can dribble, pass and shoot like a hybrid forward. That would mess the triangle up. Westbrook wouldn't fit either. He is not a poor man's Kobe. He's a rich man's Iverson. He needs teammates to space the floor and bigs to set screens. He also needs to get out in transition. He doesn't need a stagnant half-court offense.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
George Hill - very good defense, doesn't need the ball that much, and elite 3pt shooting for spacing
Westbrook
Jae Crowder - solid 3 & D guy that can play multiple positions
Diaw - decent floor spacing, great passing and can defend inside some too.
DMC

i picked role players, and yes I think that team could win a title.

That team wouldn't win the title. They aren't even top 5.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
I would still put Westbrook at point guard, and Cousins at center. Then fill the roster out with 3-and-D guys. Ironically, Ibaka would have been one of the best possible front court partners for a player like Cousins.

Why is that ironic?

hugepatsfan
10-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Probably not in today's NBA. Westbrook/Cousins isn't enough. You basically need another pair of players that caliber to have the talent GS has. Phil couldn't overcome that.

benzni
10-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Why is that ironic?

Ironic because if DMC went to OKC, he could have played with Ibaka if they didn't trade him. A what if situation but pretty ironic because they would have made each other better.

Redrum187
10-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Add Kawhi Leonard to Westbrook/Cousins and I think they might be able to beat the current GSW's big 4.

Kawhi would contain Durant, Westbrook would make Curry his *****, Green would get in foul trouble against Cousins. They would just need a solid 3D SG to cover Klay.

Hawkeye15
10-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Add Kawhi Leonard to Westbrook/Cousins and I think they might be able to beat the current GSW's big 4.

Kawhi would contain Durant, Westbrook would make Curry his *****, Green would get in foul trouble against Cousins. They would just need a solid 3D SG to cover Klay.

good call.

Westbrook/G Hill
Kawhi/Hood
Crowder/J Dudley
Ibaka/J Hill
Cousins/Mahinmi

That might challenge

Purch
10-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Ha, I was projecting this during a normal year. Meaning a year that doesn't have KD on the warriors. That's just unfair.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2016, 07:08 PM

Yeah they could contend for a title if you add someone to be their best player lmao

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Why is that ironic?

It's ironic because the Thunder had the perfect front-court partner for Cousins. They even had trade bait for Sacramento in Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, Cameron Payne and Andre Roberson.

Purch
11-01-2016, 06:05 AM
Probably not in today's NBA. Westbrook/Cousins isn't enough. You basically need another pair of players that caliber to have the talent GS has. Phil couldn't overcome that.

Well golden state this year just isn't fair lol. Durant at the 4, with Green at the 5 is nearly impossible to guard.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-01-2016, 12:10 PM
I know Phil is a highly regarded coach. But it did help to have Jordan, Pippen, Rodman as well as Kobe and Shaq. Just saying.

TheMightyHumph
11-01-2016, 10:51 PM
No.