PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis injuried again

ballallday
10-12-2016, 09:03 AM
How many games / seasons missed until this guy is labeled a bust?

IndyRealist
10-12-2016, 09:06 AM
He produces when he's on the court. If the Pels don't want him the Pacers will gladly pick him up.

TheDish87
10-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Injuries dont make you a bust, especially one who has played as well as AD when on the floor. Lets remember the piss poor, injury filled team he carried to the playoffs just two years ago.

JAZZNC
10-12-2016, 10:12 AM
How do injuries not make you a bust?? If he can't ever stay healthy that is bust status no matter what he does on the court. If you can't stay on the court to me it's no different that being out there and not producing. Your best ability in pro sports is availability. How long would you stay employed if you weren't able to show up for half the year?

Not to say he is a bust yet by any means but at some point you gotta play close to a whole season.

ballallday
10-12-2016, 10:34 AM
How do injuries not make you a bust?? If he can't ever stay healthy that is bust status no matter what he does on the court. If you can't stay on the court to me it's no different that being out there and not producing. Your best ability in pro sports is availability. How long would you stay employed if you weren't able to show up for half the year?

Not to say he is a bust yet by any means but at some point you gotta play close to a whole season.

+1

If he misses a total of 82+ games over the next two season then I would 100% say he is a bust.

Player who is drafted high, lacks nba talent, plays and scores 0 points is a bust.
Player who is drafted high, mvp caliber, doesn't play due to injuries and scores 0 points is a bust.

R!kSm!tz
10-12-2016, 10:43 AM
He can't stay healthy but for some reason the world has been claiming him as a top 3-5 player for years.

Synyster89
10-12-2016, 10:51 AM
+1

If he misses a total of 82+ games over the next two season then I would 100% say he is a bust.

Player who is drafted high, lacks nba talent, plays and scores 0 points is a bust.
Player who is drafted high, mvp caliber, doesn't play due to injuries and scores 0 points is a bust.

How can you be considered one of the best players in the NBA and be a bust?

Also, ADs injury history is wayyyy overstated. The next time he misses 82 games in a 2 year span will be the first time. He has played in 60+ games in EVERY season so far. The injury he suffered today was from stepping on another player's foot (so it is a matter of bad luck rather than being injury prone) and the injury is only a Grade 2 sprain that will cause him to miss only 10-15 days. So relax a little bit before you call him a bust haha.

TheDish87
10-12-2016, 10:58 AM
bust is a word used for a player that isnt good, Davis good, really good. Injuries happen and cant always be prevented.

Also agree with the post above, his injuries are def overstated. he sprained his ankle last night lets not all act like he is going to miss any meaningful time lol. Its sad a thread was made for this. But yea him and that stupid sprained ankle, what a bust!

Scoots
10-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Injuries don't make you a bad draft pick, but you can bust by not being able to play enough to help your team.

That said, AD is never going to be a bust, he's already done enough to be much more than a bust.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2016, 11:51 AM
was Oden a bust?

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2016, 11:51 AM
He's only out for 10 to 15 days. He'll be back by November.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Davis's injury history is something that will prevent him from reaching absolute elite status, if it continues. But he is awesome when he plays.

R!kSm!tz
10-12-2016, 12:50 PM
He's only out for 10 to 15 games. He'll be back by November.

10-15 days*

TheDish87
10-12-2016, 12:52 PM
He's only out for 10 to 15 games. He'll be back by November.

see above post

FlashBolt
10-12-2016, 01:56 PM
How is this guy always getting injured... Hate to see another potential All-Time great end up dealing with injuries. Same thing with Embiid just scares me. Can't wait to see him play but I know he'll get injured again.

cmellofan15
10-12-2016, 02:12 PM
that's the difference between all time greats and these guys. they are absolute tanks, and typically the big men have ridiculous longevity. that's why it's pretty silly to compare guys to them at this point because they have similar talent. it's all about sustaining that level of play.

mrblisterdundee
10-12-2016, 03:05 PM
10-15 days*

Thanks for the catch. I meant days, which makes his injury seem even more minor.

Scoots
10-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Davis's injury history is something that will prevent him from reaching absolute elite status, if it continues. But he is awesome when he plays.

This.

And he's EASILY played enough to be FAR from a bust.

Scoots
10-12-2016, 04:17 PM
that's the difference between all time greats and these guys. they are absolute tanks, and typically the big men have ridiculous longevity. that's why it's pretty silly to compare guys to them at this point because they have similar talent. it's all about sustaining that level of play.

I think it's somewhere in between.

For most of my life I considered Jim Brown the greatest football player ever to play the game. But Jerry Rice passed him in my mind because of longevity AND incredible performance. But there have been truly great players who have not had freakish health. Larry Bird comes to mind. Magic also lost a chunk of his career to health issues. Jordan missed most of a season early on with IIRC a broken foot.

Sportsguy9695
10-12-2016, 05:42 PM
wow this guy is always injured

Dade County
10-13-2016, 06:37 PM
How many games / seasons missed until this guy is labeled a bust?

Don't worry Riley will save him before its all said & done.

tredigs
10-13-2016, 07:04 PM
The thing with AD is that he injures himself in every way possible. He defines the term "injury prone", and it's specifically why I argued it was asinine to rate him above Draymond Green in the "player rank" thread. When a player has shown to be a lock to miss ~15-20% of every season, there are serious issues at hand.

Want a crazy stat/fact on AD? At 22 years old in year 4, Anthony Davis has missed the same amount of games (68) as Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Kareem, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley and Shaq's first 40 seasons combined (used no less than the first 3 and no more than the first 10 seasons for each player).

You can't reach the apex if you can't stay on the court, and with this not being a case of him having a single injury that kept him out extended time for 1 year but rather everything under the sun, we now comfortably know that this player unfortunately can never be trusted to stay on the court.

nycericanguy
10-13-2016, 07:19 PM
The thing with AD is that he injures himself in every way possible. He defines the term "injury prone", and it's specifically why I argued it was asinine to rate him above Draymond Green in the "player rank" thread. When a player has shown to be a lock to miss ~15-20% of every season, there are serious issues at hand.

Want a crazy stat/fact on AD? At 22 years old in year 4, Anthony Davis has missed the same amount of games (68) as Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Kareem, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley and Shaq's first 40 seasons combined (used no less than the first 3 and no more than the first 10 seasons for each player).

You can't reach the apex if you can't stay on the court, and with this not being a case of him having a single injury that kept him out extended time for 1 year but rather everything under the sun, we now comfortably know that this player unfortunately can never be trusted to stay on the court.

whats your theory on why guys get injured so much more now? These guys are babied so much more now. They are held under 36mpg, held out of preseason games, first class travel and everything imaginable, yet so many more injuries now.

Meanwhile guys like KG, Malone, Duncan, Ewing...etc... these guys would play close to 40mpg and play more preseason games and still play 80-82 games a year.

Same thing with pitches in MLB, injuries through the roof despite all these pitch counts and longer pitching rotations now.

europagnpilgrim
10-13-2016, 09:13 PM
He can't stay healthy but for some reason the world has been claiming him as a top 3-5 player for years.

Based on when he is out there he is top 5-10 and how young he is its almost a given, he is capable of dropping 30-50 a night along with 10-20 boards with blocks included, that's serious production if he muster a couple of healthy seasons to prove it as he does when he is out there

its no diff. then when G Hill was healthy and playing he was just(top 3-10 player) that then when injuries hit him then being unavailable switches that up as quick as day turns into night

I feel bad for Davis because he is the real deal when available no doubt

tredigs
10-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Based on when he is out there he is top 5-10 and how young he is its almost a given, he is capable of dropping 30-50 a night along with 10-20 boards with blocks included, that's serious production if he muster a couple of healthy seasons to prove it as he does when he is out there

its no diff. then when G Hill was healthy and playing he was just(top 3-10 player) that then when injuries hit him then being unavailable switches that up as quick as day turns into night

I feel bad for Davis because he is the real deal when available no doubt

Loll "Capable of 50 and 20 and top 5 when he's in". No. He has two 20 rebound games in his career (exactly 20 both times) and I see exactly zero 50 point games. Certainly wasn't top 5-10 when he played last year.

Grant Hill was a legit top player in the league and didn't suffer injury until well into his career (year 7 is when he got his injury and started missing time). Not a great example.

da ThRONe
10-13-2016, 09:55 PM
whats your theory on why guys get injured so much more now? These guys are babied so much more now. They are held under 36mpg, held out of preseason games, first class travel and everything imaginable, yet so many more injuries now.

Meanwhile guys like KG, Malone, Duncan, Ewing...etc... these guys would play close to 40mpg and play more preseason games and still play 80-82 games a year.

Same thing with pitches in MLB, injuries through the roof despite all these pitch counts and longer pitching rotations now.

The human body hasn't gotten more durable but these guys athleticism has grown tremendously over the last 3 or 4 decades.

FlashBolt
10-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Davis needs to stop playing like a guard in some possessions. Too much damage on his legs.

TheDish87
10-14-2016, 08:54 AM
lol at Davis being capable of 50 and 20 on any given night.

nycericanguy
10-14-2016, 09:23 AM
The human body hasn't gotten more durable but these guys athleticism has grown tremendously over the last 3 or 4 decades.

MJ & Nique were two of the most athletic players ever and those guys rarely missed a game and played almost 40mpg. not to mention they did dunk contests, playoffs almost every year, and played all 16 preseason games.

now guys even sit out the dunk contest in fear of getting hurt, and they play 3-4 preseason games for 15-20 minutes...lol. on top of taking off games during the season to "rest".

its crazy how this is trending, are we going to have superstars playing 28mpg and 60 games in the near future as "precaution"? it seems every player is being held out of games or put on a minutes limit now.

same in baseball. no pitcher goes 300 innings anymore.

Chi StateOfMind
10-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Chicago athletes are made of glass it seems. What do we have in our milk?

Scoots
10-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Have the Pelicans fixed their training staff yet or are they still doing it on the cheap?

PhillyFaninLA
10-14-2016, 01:00 PM
was Oden a bust?

I think bust is the wrong word here....AD showed he can be special and one of the best in the game, Oden didn't ever really show more than a few brief flashes.

I think a career derailed by injuries should have a different term then bust, especially when the guy shows he can out right play when healthy

Hawkeye15
10-14-2016, 01:33 PM
I think bust is the wrong word here....AD showed he can be special and one of the best in the game, Oden didn't ever really show more than a few brief flashes.

I think a career derailed by injuries should have a different term then bust, especially when the guy shows he can out right play when healthy

totally agree.

I do agree with Tredigs post though, that to be on top of the mountain, you have to stay healthy. Davis hasn't shown that yet. That matters.

Oden's term should be, "sad". Didn't even really get to see the guy play much.

ballallday
10-14-2016, 01:54 PM
totally agree.

I do agree with Tredigs post though, that to be on top of the mountain, you have to stay healthy. Davis hasn't shown that yet. That matters.

Oden's term should be, "sad". Didn't even really get to see the guy play much.

Lets Look at Grant Hill. Would anyone say he is a bust? Probably not, however he could have been Top 50. So injuries have made him into a bust compared to what he should be.

I feel the same is happening to Anthony Davis. He has potential to become great but only shown flashes. At this point if he continues to remain injured his max contract looks like a bust to me... If he was making role player money then it would be different story

Hawkeye15
10-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Lets Look at Grant Hill. Would anyone say he is a bust? Probably not, however he could have been Top 50. So injuries have made him into a bust compared to what he should be.

I feel the same is happening to Anthony Davis. He has potential to become great but only shown flashes. At this point if he continues to remain injured his max contract looks like a bust to me... If he was making role player money then it would be different story

fair assessment.

tredigs
10-14-2016, 06:43 PM
I'd say it's both unfair to label him a bust and equally unfair to compare him to Grant Hill - who despite his rep of injuries had 7 years of elite play before that started going down. I'm d definitely worried about AD if he's already accumulating this many injuries at such a young age.