PDA

View Full Version : Create your franchise's best modern lineup

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2016, 12:19 PM
I was responding to one of those "create your franchise's all-time roster" threads recently. Someone responded creatively, adapting their franchise's all-time roster to the modern pace-and-space era. The effort required leaving out some of the franchise's best players, because they are ill-suited for the speed, shooting and ball movement defining today's best offenses.
Create your franchise's best roster for the modern NBA. Base your selections on how good the players were with your franchises (i.e. Scottie Pippen probably won't make the cut for the Trailblazers, and Michael Jordan probably won't start for the Wizards.).

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2016, 12:37 PM
My Trailblazers:

PG: Terry Porter, Damian Lillard
SG: Brandon Roy, Geoff Petrie
SF: Clyde Drexler, Nicolas Batum
PF: Clifford Robinson, LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Bill Walton, Rasheed Wallace

I tried to balance defense with shooting. Petrie and Lillard are more offensively potent, but Roy and Porter are better two-way players. Drexler starts in any Trailblazers lineup. Robinson is great for today's NBA, with his good defense and stellar shooting for a power forward. I toyed with the idea of starting Wallace over Walton. But Big Red was so potent defensively and passing the ball, that I felt he still warranted a start. Batum narrowly made it over Kersey because of his shooting same with Aldridge over Sidney Wicks.

Chronz
10-11-2016, 01:50 PM
I wonder how many teams actually change because of this tho, I mean the only real rule today is that you cant have more than 1 non-shooter on the court unless that other non-shooter dominates the ball(which you dont want ideally).

Giannis and MCW, for example are incapable of leading an offense to any sort of respectability together because you are already putting so much strain on the rest of your teammates to be threats in more areas of the court than you 2 are and thats not easy to find in mostly bigman positions. Apart from one another tho, and you can suddenly field halway decent offense and thats with guys as mediocre as MCW. Imagine guys with actual talent. Ill try the exercise to see if I make any adjustments that are entirely era dependent.

PG: CP3/Cassell
No brainer, Mark Jackson is the other choice but I like the nut dancer in any era, though I suppose more in this one. CP3 is almost like a cross between the 2, Sam's deadly midrange game with Jacksons vision, I just like the fact that Sam wasn't entirely reliant on posting up the way Mark seemed to be. Like you put Pippen on Mark Jackson and his post game evaporated, whereas I feel like Cassell would just cruise between posting up or playing the elbow game depending on what you threw at him, hes also better off the bench IMO.

SG: Reddick/???? (World B. Free)

This is prolly our weakest position all-time and where the era differences rear their ugly head, I want to list Ron Harper, he helped lead the Clippers to their only post seasons in the 90's but doing so while being a bottom tier 3pt shooting team even for the 90's, doubt that works today. He was also overrated in my book, his athleticism had been sapped and he never truly developed the all-around scoring game to compensate. I've gotten into mini-fights with some of my brethren but I would truly have taken Dominique Wilkens short Clipper stint if I had my choice between the 2 lacing it up for a hypothetical game. Taking the guy with the prototypical 70's name and the prototypical scoring guard off the bench game. He would be our rich mans Jamal Crawford, every team needs that guy who can hit ridiculous shots, hes ours.

SF: Cuttino Mobley/Adrian Dantley
Mobley was a SF trapped in a SG body when he was with the Clippers. He was better served guarding beefier guys while Q-Ross clamped down the quicker guys but if it was a star scorer, it was Q who got the call regardless. I go with Mobley over Dantley cuz I want the bench scoring and I suppose to help the spacing.

PF: Elton Brand/Blake Griffin: Nuff said, Blake will undoubtedly have the better career and hes prolly had the superior playoff run but for the full season+playoffs, what Brand did in 05 has never been topped by a Clipper bigman and that includes an MVP winner. He would mesh PERFECTLY with CP3/Cassell, the perfect outlet option and a beast on the offensive glass. Hes also a better defender than any of the Clippers star bigs which is kinda sad cuz he wasn't all that great. I only hesitate because hes a great backup center to compliment our other bigs.

C: DJ/McAdoo

DJ might be better served playing alongside of Blake but there is also the chance that he thrives with Brand's superior spacing, hard one to imagine. McAdoo was technically our Center but he was undersized back then, I suppose thats less of an issue in a smaller league but going up against other teams best ever, I think his lack of size would be an issue.

I kind of want to start McAdoo for that reason alone, he and Blake would be a mess defensively but if its gonna happen, it may as well be off the bench in my offensive lineup.

Honorable Mention:
Corey Maggette and Dominique Wilkens. Im starting Mobley over Maggs for the same reason Dumbleavy did, there are very serious questions regarding Maggettes ability to fit in with others and play defense at a level required from someone not being the focal point. I really loved Nique's short stint with us but if Im going with a non-shooting wing, Im taking Dantley cuz I feel he was closer to his best days.

Its hard to find the right mix with my club.

Heediot
10-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Do Grant Hill and Billups prime years count for the Clippers lol?

Chronz
10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Do Grant Hill and Billups prime years count for the Clippers lol?

No, but its surprising how many stars we've had either too early or way too late. I honestly didn't know that we had drafted Adrian Dantley before this, always just felt he was on the Pistons+Jazz. God we've made the most blunders ever. Billups had a nice run with us too, before the Achilles injury. Really ****ing sucks that he got hurt

tredigs
10-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Dubs would look similar to their overall top lineup:

PG: Curry / Hardaway
SG: Klay or Mitch Richmond
SF: KD / Rick Barry / Chris Mullen
PF: Draymond Green / Nate Thurmond
C: Wilt Chamberlain / Nate Thurmond

That's the 50/25 young/athletic Wilt so while in reality it would definitely be a case of "too many threats for one ball", if they bought in it's tough to imagine a stronger offense. Basically just replacing Zaza with a young Wilt to this years team and a bench of All Stars/MVP's who can shoot.

Scoots
10-11-2016, 07:11 PM

That's the 50/25 young/athletic Wilt so while in reality it would definitely be a case of "too many threats for one ball", if they bought in it's tough to imagine a stronger offense. Basically just replacing Zaza with a young Wilt to this years team and a bench of All Stars/MVP's who can shoot.

I think Webber would make my "modern" lineup somewhere in the top 10.

tredigs
10-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I think Webber would make my "modern" lineup somewhere in the top 10.

Almost hm'd him and he'd make my roster on the bench as well. Only left him off since he was only there as a rookie (well and retiree).

J_M_B
10-11-2016, 08:53 PM
32 year old Shaq gets left off I suppose under these rules

Alonzo Mourning / Chris Bosh
LeBron James
Glen Rice / Eddie Jones
Dwyane Wade / Steve Smith
Tim Hardaway / Goran Dragic

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2016, 11:40 PM
I wonder how many teams actually change because of this tho, I mean the only real rule today is that you cant have more than 1 non-shooter on the court unless that other non-shooter dominates the ball(which you dont want ideally).
PG: CP3/Cassell
SG: Reddick/???? (World B. Free)
SF: Cuttino Mobley/Adrian Dantley
PF: Elton Brand/Blake Griffin
C: DJ/McAdoo
Its hard to find the right mix with my club.

The Clippers are sort of slim pickings. This challenge won't totally change every franchise's best team, but it will involve some key substitutions, and moving players around in position.
I left Sidney Wicks, Jerome Kersey and Maurice Lucas out of Portland's modern lineup. I almost started Rasheed Wallace over Bill Walton because of his shooting, but liked Walton's passing and defense. Allen Crabbe almost made the team.
Here's my take on the Clippers:

PG: Chris Paul, Sam Cassell
SG: J.J. Redick, World B. Free
SF: Randy Smith, Cuttino Mobley
PF: Lamar Odom, Blake Griffin
C: Elton Brand, Bob McAdoo

I focus on quickness, shooting and defense. Obviously Jordan is the greatest Clippers defender ever, but he's such a nonfactor on offense except for lobs. Brand can catch all those lobs, play decent defense and spread the floor, as can Odom. From what I've read about Dantley, he's not very good for team play. Smith played more than half his career without three pointers, but he supposedly was a fantastic defender, got 20 a game and helped run the offense.

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2016, 11:43 PM
32 year old Shaq gets left off I suppose under these rules

Alonzo Mourning / Chris Bosh
LeBron James
Glen Rice / Eddie Jones
Dwyane Wade / Steve Smith
Tim Hardaway / Goran Dragic

O'Neal was still pretty good that first year in Miami. If you think his abilities at age 32 make Miami a better team right now, then include him. You've got an extra roster slot.

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Almost hm'd him and he'd make my roster on the bench as well. Only left him off since he was only there as a rookie (well and retiree).

He kicked *** as a rookie. I'd make him the backup center after Wilt.

cmellofan15
10-12-2016, 02:05 PM
PG: Chauncey Billups

The guy is an all time great, and when he joined the nuggs in 08 he boostedus to the conference finals in his first year. tremendous floor general, very savy on defense, and extremely efficient from the field in his short time with us.

SG: David Thompson

A hound on defense, played bigger than his size at 2 and 3 position and was an absolute BEAST at scoring the ball with his quick first step. only knock on him was his inability to hit the long range shot, but he played without a 3pt line for some time so it's kinda hard to hold it against him.

SF: Alex English

Another guy who could score at will and was athletic enough to stick the NBA players of today. Great court vision and played very well without the ball. Not the ideal spot up shooter that i'd like on the wing, but had the ability to takeover a game at will which means there's no way i'm leaving out of the starting 5

PF: Melo

Melo has one of the smoothest offense's this league has seen. great feet, could hurt you in a lot of different ways offensively. also, his on ball defense was very underrated when he was here in denver. he played up for the big games, which is a big reason why Lebron still has a losing record against the nuggets. :cool:

C: Mount Mutombo

Defense, Defense, Defense. an absolute beast on the boards and a brick wall on defense. he is a great solution to defending the all time great C's or PF's. could shoot ft's at about 70% in his prime so not a huge liability there so he could be in throughout the 4th Q without worrying about him.

Bench

Ai - Scoring in bunches at the PG position. could even have him and billups in the back court for small ball lineups.

JR Smith - As much as I hated him as a nugget, he could shoot the lights out and was a freak athlete. lack of shooters force me to choose him lol.

Gallo - This is the only huge change that has to happen because of his ability to play point forward and shoot way better than either Vandeweghe or Williams

Nene - dude was the archetype for a small ball big man. when the nuggets would play the run n gun transition ball he played at an elite level offensively. efficient shooter, took great shots and could go toe to toe with the faster big men on defense.

Camby - a guy after mutombo's own heart hahah. more defense and more boards off the bench, and a bit quicker than mutombo for chasing around smaller guys.

I think the Nuggets would fare fairly well against most teams that aren't the Lakers or Warriors lol :shrug:

PowerHouse
10-12-2016, 03:18 PM

Klay over Sprewell huh? Very interesting. I cant agree but interesting none the less.

TrueFan420
10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Klay over Sprewell huh? Very interesting. I cant agree but interesting none the less.

Klay is better off ball and with that many threats he fits better offensively. While also being better defensively.

tredigs
10-12-2016, 07:58 PM

Yeah easily for me. Rather have a top-10ish shooter in history who plays D over an inconsistent ball dominant player on a team like this. Spree might be better as a #1 (debatable tho), but on an all-time team you'd never want him over Klay.

Scoots
10-12-2016, 10:00 PM

Spree's D really suffered when he went off the rails. Klay is more of a team player and doesn't need to ball in his hands.

cmellofan15
10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
only 5 teams so far.....of the teams posted I think my nuggets could take the Blazers and the Clippers

cmellofan15
10-13-2016, 12:56 PM
ehh maybe we could grab a few against the heat as well. Melo against Lebron was pretty much a wash in their head to head match ups until 2014ish..but we would need to find a way to slow down Wade. Even tho thompson was a similar build and athleticism Wade's speed would kill him more often than but having Mutombo and Camby around the rim would help. I think we could grab 2-3 in a 7 game series and maybeeee even get an upset depending on which Lebron we get lol.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-14-2016, 11:04 AM
C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Andrew Bogut
PF-Vin Baker, Terry Cummings
SF-Glenn Robinson, Marques Johnson, Bob Dandridge
SG-Sidney Moncrief, Ray Allen, Michael Redd,
PG-Oscar Robertson, Ricky Pierce

Honorable mentions
Jon McGlocklin
Junior Bridgeman
Paul Pressey
Brian Winters
Sam Cassell
Alvin Robertson
Flynn Robinson
Khris Middleton
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jay Humphries
Jabari Parker

Was a bit tough deciding on players. Bucks as a franchise were always deep at SG/SF. Also Bucks traded a lot. So some names might also be part of other teams.

TrueFan420
10-17-2016, 04:41 PM

Honorable mentions
Jon McGlocklin
Junior Bridgeman
Paul Pressey
Brian Winters
Sam Cassell
Alvin Robertson
Flynn Robinson
Khris Middleton
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jay Humphries
Jabari Parker

Was a bit tough deciding on players. Bucks as a franchise were always deep at SG/SF. Also Bucks traded a lot. So some names might also be part of other teams.
Id have included Gaines... This is your teams best modern line up and Gaines is perfect as a SF/PF that can handle the rock in the modern game

Bausman
10-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Lowry- Williams- Bilups
Derozan-Chrstie
Carter-Rose
Tmac-Davis
Bosh-JV-Biz

TheMightyHumph
10-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Kidd/Micheal Ray
SuperJohn/Drazen
Julius/Bernard King (Rick Barry)
Buck Williams/Jayson Williams
Eric Montross/Derrick Coleman

Chronz
10-17-2016, 07:16 PM

Honorable mentions
Jon McGlocklin
Junior Bridgeman
Paul Pressey
Brian Winters
Sam Cassell
Alvin Robertson
Flynn Robinson
Khris Middleton
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Jay Humphries
Jabari Parker

Why Big Dog over Giannis/Middleton/Pressey/McGlocklin?

mightybosstone
10-17-2016, 11:31 PM
PG James Harden / Kyle Lowry
SG Tracy McGrady / Steve Francis
SF Shane Battier / Clyde Drexler
PF Hakeem Olajuwon / Charles Barkley
C Yao Ming / Moses Malone

I'd start Battier solely for shooting and defensive purposes. Yao gets the nod starting with Hakeem over Malone and Barkley because of his size, efficiency, defense and range. Also, sliding Hakeem over to the 4 makes him the perfect defender in this era of stretch 4s and the constant switching point guards love to do. Imagine Tristan Thompson on steroids on that end of the floor.

europagnpilgrim
10-18-2016, 12:25 AM
PG James Harden / Kyle Lowry
SG Tracy McGrady / Steve Francis
SF Shane Battier / Clyde Drexler
PF Hakeem Olajuwon / Charles Barkley
C Yao Ming / Moses Malone

I'd start Battier solely for shooting and defensive purposes. Yao gets the nod starting with Hakeem over Malone and Barkley because of his size, efficiency, defense and range. Also, sliding Hakeem over to the 4 makes him the perfect defender in this era of stretch 4s and the constant switching point guards love to do. Imagine Tristan Thompson on steroids on that end of the floor.

That's a pretty lethal lineup, plus Tmac and Harden can take turns handling both backcourt duties

Oefarmy2005
10-18-2016, 03:52 PM

I would squeeze Letrell Spreewell in there somewhere at the SF position.

Oefarmy2005
10-18-2016, 04:24 PM

I'll try the Wolves, but not a whole lot of greatness there.

PG: Marbury, Billups
SG: Spreewell, KMart
SF: Szczerbiak, AK
PF: KG, Love
C: KAT, (Dieng or Big Al)

Also considered: Pooh Richardson, Terrell Brandon, Terry Porter, Laettner, Googs, Cassell, Rider, Wiggins, Lavine.

Chronz
10-18-2016, 06:57 PM

F No