PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Papi : David Ortiz appreciation thread

redsox12
10-10-2016, 11:45 PM
It's hard to believe the end of an era has come to the sox. David has lots of memorable hits, HR's , moments, not more special than the 2004 ALCS gm 4, to keep us alive. This is our F'n city after the bombings, it goes on and on.

Watching him come back out to the mound after the game to say goodbye was so sad, grown men was crying, its the last of a era , hopefully the next red sox era of mookie, Xander, andrew, price, etc will be good.

Post your fav Ortiz memories here , as we say goodbye to easily a top five maybe even number one Red Sox.

-Lavigne43-
10-11-2016, 12:16 AM
More than anything, I can't believe he never declined. I always believed it would end ugly with him. That one season he would just lose it and we would be forced to release him, or it would be a Jeter situation. The season he just had was remarkable, and I greedily wish he would keep playing so that I could see how long he remained on the top of his game. I just wish we had more than 2 postseasons with him the last 7 seasons.

Best moment? Games 4 and 5 of the 2004 ALCS were simply the greatest games I have ever and will ever see and of course David was at the center of them.

BSF101
10-11-2016, 10:45 AM
It sucks that he had to leave like this maybe he can get a job working in the Red Sox office?
And who knows maybe someday he'll be their manager :)

Bosston
10-11-2016, 11:23 AM
2004 ALCS / Boston Strong speech. My girlfriends father knows him and I've met him a few times in New York. The guy is just likable... he loves the game and really loved the Red Sox.

The Boston Strong speech in my mind cemented him into Boston sports history. Sports are sports, but when a city is hit with something as tragic as the bombing we need to take a step back and realize that there is much more than sports. The same with Mike Piazza after 9/11... something you just don't forget.

We will miss you Papi. Last night when he walked and got the crowd into the game, it felt like Fenway would crumble.

R. Johnson#3
10-11-2016, 11:50 AM
As a fan of baseball the back to back walk offs in the 2004 ALCS are two of the coolest moments I've ever seen. As a fan of the Blue Jays I'm happy he's gone. Glad to see him finish his career strong though. I always like seeing players go out on a high note.

sager729
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM
What a career. Loved watching him play the game. He had so much fun doing and it will be weird to not see him in the lineup next season.

MJNetsIsles
10-13-2016, 04:01 AM
My hat goes off to David Ortiz, as a New York Mets fan.

Thank you to the fan who compared him to Mike Piazza in 2001 after we lost the Twin Towers. Mike Piazza's HR off Atlanta uplifted the entire city of New York.

Big Papi's speech after the bombing was incredible. He'll always be remember in Boston. He brought the Red Sox 3 World Championships. 🏆🏆🏆

My hope is that the Mets can win the World Series soon. You know just how much praise the Yankees get. Their fans are ********ing unbearable and it'd be nice to say we own our city for once. Maybe next year. 2015 we came so close.

Thank you Big Papi.

bagwell368
10-30-2016, 07:27 AM
I wasn't always crazy about some of the stuff he said, but outside of that, and within his physical limitations, there was nothing to carp about. He also defied logic with this play after age 35. 2004 and 2013 very unlikely without him. 2007 a good deal tougher.

Don't fear, he'll be around now and again. Maybe some of the clutch will rub of on the current teams and those beyond.