PDA

View Full Version : The Current Top-5 NBA Teams in NBA Hell

Shammyguy3
10-10-2016, 07:24 PM
We all know what "NBA Hell" is and why we reference it. In case that isn't the case, NBA Hell is a term used to describe a roster/franchise that is in the worst possible position for multiple reasons. Reasons for why a team is in NBA hell includes:
1. The team is capped out financially, and can no longer improve
2. Is at risk for losing players in free agency
3. The team has too little talent to seriously contend, but its players are too good to bottom out and start from scratch
4. The team just cannot get out of the 1st or second round, thus not being in the NBA lottery but not competing.
5. The team has no draft picks of its own and/or has not acquired other draft picks via trades
6. The team waited too long to trade for/away players.

Usually it's a combination of most if not all of the above. Given that, which teams would you say are in the worst situation in the league and are stuck in "NBA Hell" for the foreseeable future? Here is mine in no particular order:

Toronto
Washington
Chicago
Atlanta
Charlotte

honorable mention to the Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlies, and Dallas Mavericks.

Raidaz4Life
10-10-2016, 07:31 PM
No love for Brooklyn here?

KnicksorBust
10-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Bold move on Toronto. I would expect to see some blowback on that choice.

valade16
10-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Based on #3 it's every Western Conference playoff team except Golden State.

Shammyguy3
10-10-2016, 08:14 PM
No love for Brooklyn here?

they're devoid of talent and have no picks, i forgot about that. They definitely go in my top-5, i'd probably knock down Toronto in that event to honorable mentions. Once Brooklyn starts getting their annual draft picks back (not sure when that is, anybody know?) then they'll be in good position for a rebuild.

Bold move on Toronto. I would expect to see some blowback on that choice.

Do you agree on the Raptors?

5ass
10-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Kings
Blazers
Nets
Grizzlies
Bulls

TheMightyHumph
10-10-2016, 08:28 PM
they're devoid of talent and have no picks, i forgot about that. They definitely go in my top-5, i'd probably knock down Toronto in that event to honorable mentions. Once Brooklyn starts getting their annual draft picks back (not sure when that is, anybody know?) then they'll be in good position for a rebuild.

The Nets are starting the rebuild this season.

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2016, 01:02 AM
We all know what "NBA Hell" is and why we reference it. In case that isn't the case, NBA Hell is a term used to describe a roster/franchise that is in the worst possible position for multiple reasons. Reasons for why a team is in NBA hell includes:

1. The team is capped out financially, and can no longer improve
2. Is at risk for losing players in free agency
3. The team has too little talent to seriously contend, but its players are too good to bottom out and start from scratch
4. The team just cannot get out of the 1st or second round, thus not being in the NBA lottery but not competing.
5. The team has no draft picks of its own and/or has not acquired other draft picks via trades
6. The team waited too long to trade for/away players.

1. Brooklyn
2. Sacramento
3. Washington
4. Houston
5. Memphis

ManningToTyree
10-11-2016, 01:11 AM
Brooklyn
Sacramento
Memphis
Washington
Atlanta

No order

thenaj17
10-11-2016, 05:09 AM
1) Nets - just awful management/scouting/coaching all round

2) Magic - Will be at the bottom the next few years, no hope in sight
3) Nuggets - No stars, no hope
4) Suns - Booker and not a lot else

5) Kings - Only Cousins but management still drafts bigs when many other needs? Coach doesn't like star player.

Teams like Pelicans, Wizards, Rockets are all bad but each has a star player to build around so won't take much to make a leap.

Wolves, 76ers, Lakers all have good young talent so will start to see results in 2-3 years so at least have some hope

Bit harsh to put Grizzlies, Raptors and Hawks in here as they at least have good chances of making playoffs and for some franchises, that's a good enough achievement to not make it a complete fail

PhillyFaninLA
10-11-2016, 07:30 AM

5) Kings - Only Cousins but management still drafts bigs when many other needs? Coach doesn't like star player.

Teams like Pelicans, Wizards, Rockets are all bad but each has a star player to build around so won't take much to make a leap.

Wolves, 76ers, Lakers all have good young talent so will start to see results in 2-3 years so at least have some hope

Bit harsh to put Grizzlies, Raptors and Hawks in here as they at least have good chances of making playoffs and for some franchises, that's a good enough achievement to not make it a complete fail

I also want to add something to the Kings....the Sixers own swap rights again in the first round this coming season, they owe the Bulls a first round pick (not sure what the conditions are), and the Sixers either get the pick if it doesn't go to the Bulls or another future first from them. They also don't have the picks to help them get on track.

tredigs
10-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Definetely default/automatic answered Nets/Kings when reading the thread title, and really those are the flag bearers for the time being.

Shammyguy3
10-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Not harsh in my eyes because the point is to contend not just make the playoffs, and those teams are too good not to make the playoffs but aren't good enough to actually be legit threats for the Finals. And their rosters are locked into long-term deals now except for a couple of guys making it difficult to see much improvement on their horizons

nycericanguy
10-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Not harsh in my eyes because the point is to contend not just make the playoffs, and those teams are too good not to make the playoffs but aren't good enough to actually be legit threats for the Finals. And their rosters are locked into long-term deals now except for a couple of guys making it difficult to see much improvement on their horizons

ehh, to truly contend and be a legit threat for the finals you need a true franchise player. and there simply arent 30 of them to go around. So by your definition almost every team is in NBA hell outside of maybe 8-10 teams.

TOR has won their division 2 straight years and are still young enough with all their picks going forward and JVal who is still young with upside. They can retain Lowry too. How are they in NBA hell?

MEM & ATL as well.

if those teams are in NBA hell how is CHI not? they have no real big upside players on their roster, a borderline playoff team. an aging star in Wade who can leave next year, an aging overrated Rondo who has been a net negative every year since 2011. A decent C who doesnt fit in today's NBA game signed for 3/41m. and Butler who while a very good two way player, isn't really a top level franchise player and will have to sacrifice his game now for two older guys who aren't long term pieces.

Shammyguy3
10-11-2016, 11:51 AM
ehh, to truly contend and be a legit threat for the finals you need a true franchise player. and there simply arent 30 of them to go around. So by your definition almost every team is in NBA hell outside of maybe 8-10 teams.

Not necessarily true ,because the really bad teams are giving themselves a chance to acquire said franchise player by having higher odds in the draft lottery for a top selection. A team like Atlanta will make the playoffs and not have a chance at a top-5 pick for the foreseeable future.

TOR has won their division 2 straight years and are still young enough with all their picks going forward and JVal who is still young with upside. They can retain Lowry too. How are they in NBA hell?

Because their picks won't be high enough to acquire a game-changing player. They will be picking in the low to mid 20s for the next few seasons. And they won't be good enough to beat Cleveland as long as Lebron is on that team.

MEM & ATL as well.

Same logic is applied to Memphis and Atlanta.

if those teams are in NBA hell how is CHI not? they have no real big upside players on their roster, a borderline playoff team. an aging star in Wade who can leave next year, an aging overrated Rondo who has been a net negative every year since 2011. A decent C who doesnt fit in today's NBA game signed for 3/41m. and Butler who while a very good two way player, isn't really a top level franchise player and will have to sacrifice his game now for two older guys who aren't long term pieces.

I included Chicago in my top-5.

Scoots
10-11-2016, 11:52 AM
The Kings. They are stuck in bad owner purgatory.