PDA

View Full Version : NBA Auction Game: 3. Gopherland vs 6. Cocksville

Shammyguy3
10-08-2016, 12:10 PM
This year, GMs sent private bids for the top players in the game, then used a draft and free agency to fill out their roster. Assume full health when voting. Which team below wins in a 7-game series?

3. Gopherland
PG: Jrue Holiday /Darren Collison
SG: Rodney Hood / Joe Johnson
SF: Kawhi /Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF: Blake Griffin /Patrick Patterson
C: Clint Capela /Willie Cauley-Stein

6. Cocksville
PG: Goran Dragic - Rajon Rondo
SG: Andrew Wiggins - Allen Crabbe
SF: Chandler Parsons - Gerald Henderson
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge - Thad Young
C: Nerlens Noel - Festus Ezeli

mngopher35
10-08-2016, 02:08 PM
The best two players in the series and my bench is as good or better. Our centers are basically a wash. With Joe and mkg off the bench I have a lot of small ball options and flexibility as well, this team was made to surround my two stars with a good mix of role players (who can just play within themselves) for versatility to match up with anyone. This means almost anyone can finish games around those two depending on matchups/hot hand.

I will wait to see what ai has to say but I don't see any matchup problems here for my team. I do like his teams build but they can't much up with kawhi/Blake IMO.

Shammyguy3
10-08-2016, 03:28 PM
The best two players in the series and my bench is as good or better. Our centers are basically a wash. With Joe and mkg off the bench I have a lot of small ball options and flexibility as well, this team was made to surround my two stars with a good mix of role players (who can just play within themselves) for versatility to match up with anyone. This means almost anyone can finish games around those two depending on matchups/hot hand.

I will wait to see what ai has to say but I don't see any matchup problems here for my team. I do like his teams build but they can't much up with kawhi/Blake IMO.

Sums up my thoughts

KnicksorBust
10-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Gopherland. He went with the star approach and still filled out his rotation nicely.

AI
10-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Blake and Kawhi are without a doubt the two best players in this series, but Cocksville can counter that scoring punch with LMA and Wiggins plus a much better supporting cast. Dragic and Parsons provide legitimate 3rd and 4th options, not to mention, Cocksville has Rondo leading a 2nd unit that includes Crabbe and Thad Young off the bench, that is very good.

In their head to head matchups...

Blake Griffin - 22 PPG, 49% FG%, 10 REB, 4 AST
LaMarcus Aldridge - 22 PPG, 47% FG%, 8 REB, 3 AST

Basically the same thing even though Blake had a higher USG%. It's also worth considering, that BG won't have one of the best PG's in the NBA (CP3) spoon-feeding him lobs and creating quality looks for him.

Who is going to be a legit 3rd or even 4th option for the Gophers? Is Kawhi going to guard Wiggins? If so, Parsons will be an efficient 3rd option for Cocksville.

Parsons vs MKG - 15 PPG, 45% FG%, 44% 3P%, 4 AST, 7 REB
Parsons vs JJ - 13 PPG, 55% FG%, 43% 3P%, 4 AST, 6 REB

If Kawhi is going to guard Parsons, then Wiggins will be a major matchup nightmare all series. He scored over 20 PPG last season, ranked 9th in the entire NBA in FTA per game and he will only continue to get better. His length, athleticism, quickness and overall willingness to attack the rim make him a matchup nightmare. Noel also demolished Capela in their only head to head by scoring 17 points and grabbing 8 offensive rebounds.

If you bring in MKG in place of Hood for defensive purposes, having him with Capela on the floor at the same time will be a major spacing problem. If you bring in JJ, the. you're defense takes a hit and so does the ball movement since he's an iso-player. This won't be a problem with the Cocksville lineup, they can space the floor and match up quite well if Gopherland decides to play a high-paced game.

If they go small by playing Blake at the 5, that's an advantage for Cocksville since they can counter with LMA at the 5 and use him in high pick & roll or pick & pop with Dragic, Wiggins or even Parsons. It's really pick your poison, Cocksville can attack in so many ways, that they match up extremely well with the Gophers and counter the 1-2 punch by having a 1-2 punch of their own and an overall better/deeper team.

Sadds The Gr8
10-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Gophers. I'm not sold on Wiggins as the #2, and even if it's argued that he isn't, that still works against him as he's so 1-dimensional. Only impacts the game when he looks to score. plus there's nobody for Kawhi except Henderson, but is he really gonna play significant mins?

mngopher35
10-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Blake and Kawhi are without a doubt the two best players in this series, but Cocksville can counter that scoring punch with LMA and Wiggins plus a much better supporting cast. Dragic and Parsons provide legitimate 3rd and 4th options, not to mention, Cocksville has Rondo leading a 2nd unit that includes Crabbe and Thad Young off the bench, that is very good.

In their head to head matchups...

Blake Griffin - 22 PPG, 49% FG%, 10 REB, 4 AST
LaMarcus Aldridge - 22 PPG, 47% FG%, 8 REB, 3 AST

Basically the same thing even though Blake had a higher USG%. It's also worth considering, that BG won't have one of the best PG's in the NBA (CP3) spoon-feeding him lobs and creating quality looks for him.

The thing is my team is built for Blake to be the playmaker like he was when CP3 went down in 2014 for a chunk of time and he finished 3rd in MVP voting that year so his usage could be higher with more opportunity to create (if you want I can post the numbers in that stretch it was very good without Cp3). Blake was more efficient scoring than LMA and had more points/assists/rebounds in their match up while actually taking less shots per game, I think that should clearly be seen as a win for my team especially if we exploit the advantage more so with his playmaking.

Who is going to be a legit 3rd or even 4th option for the Gophers? Is Kawhi going to guard Wiggins? If so, Parsons will be an efficient 3rd option for Cocksville.

Luckily my first two options are clearly better than yours so despite my 3rd and 4th not being quite as strong I still have the advantage. Kawhi will be guarding both depending on who is more involved in the offense/creating/hot at the time but it probably starts with him on Parsons.

Parsons vs MKG - 15 PPG, 45% FG%, 44% 3P%, 4 AST, 7 REB
Parsons vs JJ - 13 PPG, 55% FG%, 43% 3P%, 4 AST, 6 REB

If Kawhi is going to guard Parsons, then Wiggins will be a major matchup nightmare all series. He scored over 20 PPG last season, ranked 9th in the entire NBA in FTA per game and he will only continue to get better. His length, athleticism, quickness and overall willingness to attack the rim make him a matchup nightmare. Noel also demolished Capela in their only head to head by scoring 17 points and grabbing 8 offensive rebounds.

If you bring in MKG in place of Hood for defensive purposes, having him with Capela on the floor at the same time will be a major spacing problem. If you bring in JJ, the. you're defense takes a hit and so does the ball movement since he's an iso-player. This won't be a problem with the Cocksville lineup, they can space the floor and match up quite well if Gopherland decides to play a high-paced game.

Hood will guard Parsons when Kawhi is on Wiggins and vice versa.

FYI Jrue averaged more points and just barely more assists last year than Dragic although he won't have the same usage on our team it at least shows he is capable as a 3rd option (his efficiency should go up like it did when AD was healthy when he plays next to Blake/Kawhi). On top of that Rodney Hood actually averaged more points and .1 less assists as Parsons last year per game. So my 3rd and 4th options aren't even that far off in their production than your guys. (here is a bball reference with comparson: http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Jrue+Holiday&player_id1_select=Jrue+Holiday&player_id1=holidjr01&y1=2016&hint=Goran+Dragic&player_id2_select=Goran+Dragic&player_id2=dragigo01&y2=2016&hint=Rodney+Hood&player_id4_select=Rodney+Hood&player_id4=hoodro01&y4=2016&hint=Chandler+Parsons&player_id5_select=Chandler+Parsons&player_id5=parsoch01&y5=2016). Basically Jrue/Hood were nearly as productive as Goran/Parsons last year statistically. Blake/Kawhi are far better than Aldridge/Wiggins and the slight gap between the other guys isn't close to covering that, at least based on recent production as shown.

When you were plugging these guys into head to head stats finders did you notice that Capela didn't play much that game against Noel because they still had Dwight?

Capela statistically was a better player last year than Noel based on his PER, WS/48, RPM, on/off #'s while their BPM was .2 different in favor of Noel. Not that it's the end of the story but a one game sample of them not really matching up is far worse and the overall statistical picture favors Capela pretty easily. When Capela started games last year the rockets were 21-14 I think yet as a whole were just .500 on the year, part of the reason I think they had no issues/replacement with Dwight leaving because he was so good.

If they go small by playing Blake at the 5, that's an advantage for Cocksville since they can counter with LMA at the 5 and use him in high pick & roll or pick & pop with Dragic, Wiggins or even Parsons. It's really pick your poison, Cocksville can attack in so many ways, that they match up extremely well with the Gophers and counter the 1-2 punch by having a 1-2 punch of their own and an overall better/deeper team.

No anchor with Kawhi on either Wiggins or Parsons is a win for us offensively as well in the pick and roll with Blake. It is pick your poison with my team as well, the difference is I have the best stars to maximize the advantages and create easier opportunities for the others.

I think my team counters your depth pretty nicely but my two stars are just clearly better than your top two guys. I showed what Jrue/Hood and Capela did last year a little bit and then have Joe/MKG for great wing versatility and small ball action with Collison/Patterson/WCS rounding it out as good role players.