PDA

View Full Version : NBA Auction Game: 5. Hartford vs 12. Dumbledore's Army

Shammyguy3
10-06-2016, 08:45 AM
This year, GMs sent private bids for the top players in the game, then used a draft and free agency to fill out their roster. Assume full health when voting. Which team below wins in a 7-game series?

5. Hartford
PG: Dennis Schroeder / Deron Williams
SG: Demar DeRozen / Iman Shumpert
SF: Gordon Heyward / Mike Dunleavy Jr
PF: Kevin Love / Jabari Parker
C: Mason Plumlee / David West

12. Dumbledore's Army
PG: Tony Parker
SG: Nicolas Batum
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Al Horford
C: Nikola Vucevic

PG: Lou Williams
SG: Will Barton
SG: Evan Fournier
PF: Julius Randle
C: Tyson Chandler

Super.
10-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Don't let Dennis Schroeder's per game numbers distract you. He only played 20 minutes per game in a backup role. He's the starter here and his Per 36 and 100P numbers look phenomenal. (19.5 ppg 7.7 apg) & (26.8 ppg & 10.6). He would shred old man Parker the entire game and be able to shut him down offensively. Total mismatch in favor of Hartford here.

Derozen and Batum is a good matchup. Derozen is the better scorer, while Batum is a better ball handler and rebounder. Probably a wash overall.

Heyward is light years ahead of Barnes. He's a far superior defender, a superior offensive player and isn't a massive choke artist.

Love > Horford. Look at Horford's disappearing act against him in the playoffs this year. Love was far and away the superior player in their most recent matchup, dominating him all series long.

Plumlee is a good center, as is Vuc. Both are average rim defenders, while Vuc has a much better range than Plumlee. Offensively Vuc is better than Plum though he needs the ball in his hands a ton, especially compared to Plumlee. Overall I'd give this matchup to Vuc.

Mamba42
10-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Parker = Schroeder
Batum > DeRozan
Barnes < Heyward
Horford > Love
Vucevic > Plumlee

Despite what Super says above, Dumbledore's Army wins at 3 out of 4 positions with the PGs being a wash.

No team would take Schroeder over Parker right now if they're trying to win a championship. Parker is going to run this team and not be expected to score a ton (he's basically the 4th option here). I imagine him running this team similar to the Spurs with a ton of guys getting their shots.

DeRozan can't shoot threes. Batum is a better player overall by far with defense and shooting. DeRozan is a good player, but Batum is better.

Heyward is better, no argument there. But, Barnes will bring good defense and shooting for Dumbledore's Army and is not expected to create for himself in this offense.

Horford is better than Love. Love might be slightly better offensively but that's overcome by the much better defense from Horford. Love doesn't get to play with LeBron and Kyrie in this matchup so there is no way that he wins over Horford. Plus Horford has the better supporting cast here than he did with Atlanta last year. Horford is simply a better player than Love overall.

Plumlee is a role-player completely. He is not better than Vucevic. Vucevic averaged 18 PPG, 9 RPG, and almost 3 APG while shooting 50% FG. He is much much better than Plumlee who averaged only 9 PPG and 7 RPG. Their advanced defensive stats are basically equal, so Vucevic's offense easily overcomes this.

This is all before considering that Dumbledore's Army's bench outplays Hartford's easily with the trio of Williams-Barton-Fournier going against old man D-Will-Shumpert-Dunleavy Jr. Plenty of scoring and adequate defense from Dumbledore's Army's bench. Shumpert can play D, but he isn't a threat on offense. Williams is a volume scorer who thrives in a 6th man role. Fournier was very good last season is the best shooter in the matchup.

I don't see how Hartford could win this matchup, Dumbledore's Army simply has too much depth and too much all-around talent at nearly every position.

hughest4
10-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Both are well rounded teams but I have to give the edge to DA in this one.

Redrum187
10-06-2016, 02:55 PM
I give respect to Hartford, it's a good team, but Dumbledore's Army wins.

I absolutely love the starting 5 of Dumbledore.

TrueFan420
10-06-2016, 04:55 PM
this is tough one want to see more convo

Super.
10-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Parker = Schroeder
Batum > DeRozan
Barnes < Heyward
Horford > Love
Vucevic > Plumlee

Despite what Super says above, Dumbledore's Army wins at 3 out of 4 positions with the PGs being a wash.

No team would take Schroeder over Parker right now if they're trying to win a championship. Parker is going to run this team and not be expected to score a ton (he's basically the 4th option here). I imagine him running this team similar to the Spurs with a ton of guys getting their shots.

DeRozan can't shoot threes. Batum is a better player overall by far with defense and shooting. DeRozan is a good player, but Batum is better.

Heyward is better, no argument there. But, Barnes will bring good defense and shooting for Dumbledore's Army and is not expected to create for himself in this offense.

Horford is better than Love. Love might be slightly better offensively but that's overcome by the much better defense from Horford. Love doesn't get to play with LeBron and Kyrie in this matchup so there is no way that he wins over Horford. Plus Horford has the better supporting cast here than he did with Atlanta last year. Horford is simply a better player than Love overall.

Plumlee is a role-player completely. He is not better than Vucevic. Vucevic averaged 18 PPG, 9 RPG, and almost 3 APG while shooting 50% FG. He is much much better than Plumlee who averaged only 9 PPG and 7 RPG. Their advanced defensive stats are basically equal, so Vucevic's offense easily overcomes this.

This is all before considering that Dumbledore's Army's bench outplays Hartford's easily with the trio of Williams-Barton-Fournier going against old man D-Will-Shumpert-Dunleavy Jr. Plenty of scoring and adequate defense from Dumbledore's Army's bench. Shumpert can play D, but he isn't a threat on offense. Williams is a volume scorer who thrives in a 6th man role. Fournier was very good last season is the best shooter in the matchup.

I don't see how Hartford could win this matchup, Dumbledore's Army simply has too much depth and too much all-around talent at nearly every position.

1. Parker is old as hell, and not remotely the same player he was in the past. He would struggle to contain a much younger and more athletic DS for the half of the game that he plays. Parker hasn't played more than 30 MPG in three years. You really want to tell me that Lou Williams is going to stop him then? Williams is a detriment to an offense. He's a ball hog, volume shooting idiot who will shoot you out of more games than win them not to mention just awful on defense. And he has to play 15 MPG simply because Parker can't.

2. Batum shot .010 better than Derozen from behind the arc last season so lets toss that clean out the window. Derozen had a better TS% and is far better at drawing contact. Batum would be in foul trouble all series long with Derozens ability to drive and score. Not to mention, Love's ability to shoot 3's mitigates some of the spacing issues you might claim when Horford can't shoot 3's and neither can Vuc.

Barnes is a playoff choke artist so I would trust him to do nothing in this series.

Horford is better than Love? Especially in a head to head matchup? REALLY? You really say that after the way that Love dominated Horford to the point where he utterly disappeared from their playoff matchup last year? Horford averaged 3.5 RPG against Love last year. THREE POINT FIVE. That's ****ing atrocious. That's downright undefendable for Horford (and I love the guy as a player don't get me wrong). Love destroys him on the boards and is a far more talented scorer than Horford. Love isn't going to go stand in the corner and shoot 3's like he did in Cleveland, much of the offense would be run through him. At no point in the past 5 years has Horford been a better player than Love, especially in a head to head series.

Vuc is better than Plum, agreed. I honestly really like him. Great midrange guy, rebounder. Plum is good around the basket, but easily the 5th option on offense.

Super.
10-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Also I'm pretty sure Juggla53 is someones dupe since they haven't commented in a thread in over 9 months yet went and voted in every single matchup.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/member.php?34930-juggla53

Mr. Baller
10-07-2016, 09:37 AM
If he is a dupe it has to be someone who has been around a long time since juggla has been a member since 2008

KnicksorBust
10-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Dumbledore. I like their offense/defense balance better and Hartford has too many iso players.

Super.
10-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Dumbledore. I like their offense/defense balance better and Hartford has too many iso players.

I'd respond to you, but all I've ever seen you do is criticize my teams so there's no reason to bother.

Mr. Baller
10-07-2016, 04:49 PM
I'd respond to you, but all I've ever seen you do is criticize my teams so there's no reason to bother.

:laugh:

KnicksorBust
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Do we have some sort of rivalry that I don't know about? I don't even know who made these teams. I am just voting off the players buddy. You are giving yourself too much credit.

KnicksorBust
10-08-2016, 09:44 AM

:laugh:

Why is your sig Moses Malone?

Mamba42
10-08-2016, 09:48 AM
1. Parker is old as hell, and not remotely the same player he was in the past. He would struggle to contain a much younger and more athletic DS for the half of the game that he plays. Parker hasn't played more than 30 MPG in three years. You really want to tell me that Lou Williams is going to stop him then? Williams is a detriment to an offense. He's a ball hog, volume shooting idiot who will shoot you out of more games than win them not to mention just awful on defense. And he has to play 15 MPG simply because Parker can't.

2. Batum shot .010 better than Derozen from behind the arc last season so lets toss that clean out the window. Derozen had a better TS% and is far better at drawing contact. Batum would be in foul trouble all series long with Derozens ability to drive and score. Not to mention, Love's ability to shoot 3's mitigates some of the spacing issues you might claim when Horford can't shoot 3's and neither can Vuc.

Barnes is a playoff choke artist so I would trust him to do nothing in this series.

Horford is better than Love? Especially in a head to head matchup? REALLY? You really say that after the way that Love dominated Horford to the point where he utterly disappeared from their playoff matchup last year? Horford averaged 3.5 RPG against Love last year. THREE POINT FIVE. That's ****ing atrocious. That's downright undefendable for Horford (and I love the guy as a player don't get me wrong). Love destroys him on the boards and is a far more talented scorer than Horford. Love isn't going to go stand in the corner and shoot 3's like he did in Cleveland, much of the offense would be run through him. At no point in the past 5 years has Horford been a better player than Love, especially in a head to head series.

Vuc is better than Plum, agreed. I honestly really like him. Great midrange guy, rebounder. Plum is good around the basket, but easily the 5th option on offense.

I want Lou Williams playing at least 15 mpg. He's a ball hog, but that's what I want on my second unit. Those types of guys are perfect there. But it doesn't matter than Parker has not played more than 30 mpg the last few seasons. That's by Poppovich's design. In the playoffs he plays more and plays well. He is a better playoff option than Schroeder, there is no doubt about it. If anybody says that, on a team hoping to contend for a championship, they'd rather have Schroeder over Parker they're crazy. Experience matters, and his experience is much more valuable to my team than anything else.

For Batum v. DeRozan, their percentages don't really matter lol. It's comparing apples and oranges. DeRozan did not take nearly as many threes as Batum did. Batum made as many three pointers as DeRozan attempted last year. It's not even close. Not to mention that DeRozan is a career 28% three point shooter and Batum is a career 36% three point shooter. To say that the difference is minimal is asinine.

To your point on Barnes, it's also a pretty bad argument. You're saying Barnes is no good because he had a poor playoffs performance? You're going to base that off of a few games? Sample sizes matter. People have bad stretches all of the time. His last season numbers show good defense and good shooting. He is my 3 and D guy and the 4th or 5th option on my team. A perfect fit for my team. Is he better than Heyward? No. But I don't need him to be since I have an advantage as basically every other position in the matchup.

For Horford you make the same exact mistake lol. Actually, it's even more egregious. You're basing your entire argument on whether Horford or Love are better on a sample of 4 games when they went against each other lol. First of all, their head to head stats don't matter against each other. Basketball is a team game and Love did not shut down Horford, the Cavs defense did (which is spearheaded by one of the best players of all time, LeBron James).

Love is the best player on your team. How well did that work out for the Timberwolves? (Hint: It didn't work out very well). I like Love, don't get me wrong, but a team with him as their best player will not be successful. Al Horford has been the best player on the Hawks for a long time and they've been winning 50+ games for just as long. Horford is a much much better defensive player than Love and it's not even close. Horford is the better overall player and that's pretty much the case in every single set of rankings you look at across the internet (so it's not just me saying that). That set of lists includes the PSD list where Horford is ranked as the 18th best player in the NBA.

Also, I just noticed your point on Horford not shooting 3's. He didn't do much earlier in his career, but he's a career 34% three point shooter. Last season, when he started shooting more of them, made 88 threes last year on 256 attempts (34%). My PF, Horford, made twice as many three pointers as your SG, DeRozan, last year.

One point you failed to address in the rebuttal is how much better my bench is than yours. It won't even be close once our reserves come in to play, even if our starters will be closer (though I have the advantage there as well).

I'll say it again, even though the votes aren't showing it somehow, my team has way too much all around talent here. Hartford is one of the deeper teams here with a well rounded offense, but in the playoffs my team has too much talent and winning experience for you to beat me in a 7 game series. I win in the talent, experience, and depth columns. I'm honestly baffled by the votes right now.

Haven't seen any commenters beyond Super argue that Hartford is the better team (even though people have voted that way). I'd like to see that, though. (I say this because we are obviously both homers for our own teams haha).

Super.
10-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Do we have some sort of rivalry that I don't know about? I don't even know who made these teams. I am just voting off the players buddy. You are giving yourself too much credit.
No, you just vote against, and put down my teams every single game. I honestly can't think of a game where you haven't. It's to the point where it's beyond coincidence.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk