PDA

View Full Version : What happens to JR Smith?

R!kSm!tz
10-05-2016, 08:58 PM
JR and the Cavs are still at a stalemate to this point and while watching their preseason game I see McRae playing very well and dunleavy looking good as well. Do they believe they can replace JR with these two guys for much less money? Do you think he signs with the Cavs soon?

He tweeted today and said he's thinking about playing for the Browns lol.

More-Than-Most
10-05-2016, 09:06 PM
He will sign with the cavs... They flat out need him... He knows it as well. They will cavs.

basketballkitty
10-05-2016, 09:12 PM
I don't know what kind of leverage he thinks he has...I mean no other NBA teams are even looking at him. And as stated...Jordan Mcrae is more then capable of replacing him. Lebron may want him back...cause they are friends, and share the same agent....but Lebron does not carry that much weight. Maybe in time it will get done. But not close for the money that Smith wants.

LA_Raiders
10-05-2016, 10:48 PM
He is going back to NY

nycericanguy
10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
I don't know what kind of leverage he thinks he has...I mean no other NBA teams are even looking at him. And as stated...Jordan Mcrae is more then capable of replacing him. Lebron may want him back...cause they are friends, and share the same agent....but Lebron does not carry that much weight. Maybe in time it will get done. But not close for the money that Smith wants.

we dont know that. that's a huuuuuge reach to say a completely unproven, basically rookie could replace JR, or even half of what JR does.

JR has quietly been one of the best 3pt shooters in NBA history. Last playoffs he hit 3.1 three's per game and shot it at 43%. While playing big minutes and both ends.

I'm surprised CLE isn't paying him. He's played for less than MLE in his two years in CLE. He deserves a 3/45m type deal. Every decent SG got $15m+ this summer. why shouldn't JR? After contributing and starting for a championship team?

last thing Gilbert should be doing is pissing off Lebron...lol

Clint Olbrock
10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
TT missed all of camp n signed a week or so before the regular season started last year, Bledsoe with the Suns in similar fashion in 2014.

Don't expect JR to be any different, they're all Rich Paul clients.

It'll get solved.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2016, 01:00 PM
he finds 3 square inches of exposed skin, and gets a tattoo

KnickNyKnick
10-06-2016, 02:06 PM
He is going back to NY

not too far fetched.

R!kSm!tz
10-06-2016, 05:40 PM
he finds 3 square inches of exposed skin, and gets a tattoo

Haha!

Scoots
10-06-2016, 06:24 PM

Really?

Stunner
10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
He is going back to NY

He should for one year for cheap

Clint Olbrock
10-06-2016, 08:24 PM
He is going back to NY

No chance.

Vee-Rex
10-07-2016, 05:53 PM
but Lebron does not carry that much weight.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-says-it-will-update-app-after-lebron-james-box-score-complaint/

LoveCaliFan
10-07-2016, 08:21 PM
i'd say he goes to Philly...

Bayless/ McConnell/ Rodriguez
Smiith/ Paul/ Stauskas
Henderson/ Covington/ Thompson
Noel/ Saric/ Grant
Embiid/ Okafor/ Holmes

Clint Olbrock
10-07-2016, 09:45 PM
i'd say he goes to Philly...

Bayless/ McConnell/ Rodriguez
Smiith/ Paul/ Stauskas
Henderson/ Covington/ Thompson
Noel/ Saric/ Grant
Embiid/ Okafor/ Holmes

No chance.

FlashBolt
10-07-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm not digging this bullying tactic by LeBron with his agency. Simply not fair for a franchise to be placed at such a position and I hope he quits doing it. J.R. Smith is not a desired free agent at this point. Most teams are set on their roster. J.R. is probably worth around $12 million but he's an idiot if he thinks he should be getting $16 million. At this point, J.R.'s value is whatever LeBron wants it to be. So Cavs should sign J.R. just to make LeBron happy.

IKnowHoops
10-08-2016, 03:48 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-says-it-will-update-app-after-lebron-james-box-score-complaint/

:laugh:

Vee-Rex
10-08-2016, 10:56 AM
To address the thread:

I don't see any scenario in which JR does not sign back with the Cavs. Rich Paul does the same thing with most of his clients. Tristan Thompson didn't sign with the Cavs last year until a week before the start of the regular season.

JR was with Bron and RJ and TT and Love and Frye and Dahntay Jones during the Indians game yesterday (it feels sooooo good to beat Boston btw... those fans were clowning us when we lost in the 2007 ALCS after having a 3-1 lead. I hope we sweep the Red Sox and I'm hoping the Browns somehow upset the Patriots on Sunday) and I just don't see him missing out on ring night on the season opener.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLSCyX1BSTN/?taken-by=kingjames

JR will be a Cav, but holding off until the very last minute is just Klutch Sports way of doing business.

LoveCaliFan
10-08-2016, 11:33 AM
I either believe 76ers, Bucks, Hornets, Pelicans or back to Cavs. But as i see how Felder and McCrae are playing, imo he will not be need. He could also imo be part of a sign & trade which seems logical if he isn't staying in Cleveland. It would allow Cavs to have more young assets. Like J.R. could be signed and traded for picks or part of a big trade deal. The Clippers comme to mind. Say J.R is signed for 15 mil, and traded with Kyrie and Love to snatch Paul and aassets.

R!kSm!tz
10-08-2016, 12:02 PM
No need to blow up the championship team though. They've definitely got better and deeper this summer they should be doing the best they can to keep the team together in my opinion. Rich Paul is a joke.

Clint Olbrock
10-08-2016, 02:59 PM
I either believe 76ers, Bucks, Hornets, Pelicans or back to Cavs. But as i see how Felder and McCrae are playing, imo he will not be need. He could also imo be part of a sign & trade which seems logical if he isn't staying in Cleveland. It would allow Cavs to have more young assets. Like J.R. could be signed and traded for picks or part of a big trade deal. The Clippers comme to mind. Say J.R is signed for 15 mil, and traded with Kyrie and Love to snatch Paul and aassets.

Kyrie, Love and JR for CP3, lol what a joke!

Not only is it that $54 million in salary in your hypothetical situation but that is completely lopsided talent wise in the Clippers favor, smh.

LoveCaliFan
10-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Kyrie, Love and JR for CP3, lol what a joke!

Not only is it that $54 million in salary in your hypothetical situation but that is completely lopsided talent wise in the Clippers favor, smh.

I'm sure they'd take more for Kyrie, but i just didn't put more. So i'd think they'd get a 3rd team involved. But a Kyrie, Smith, Love for Paul, Jordon, Redick...

CAVS :

Paul/ Felder
Redick/ McRae/ Jones
Shumpert/ Jefferson/ Dunleavy
James/ Frye
Jordan/ Thompson/ Anderson

Clippers:

Irving/ Rivers/ Felton
Smith/ Crawford
Anderson/ Mbah a Moute/ Johnson
Love/ Bass/ Johnson
Griffin/ Speights/ Stone

Clint Olbrock
10-09-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm sure they'd take more for Kyrie, but i just didn't put more. So i'd think they'd get a 3rd team involved. But a Kyrie, Smith, Love for Paul, Jordon, Redick...

CAVS :

Paul/ Felder
Redick/ McRae/ Jones
Shumpert/ Jefferson/ Dunleavy
James/ Frye

Clippers:

Irving/ Rivers/ Felton
Smith/ Crawford
Love/ Bass/ Johnson
Griffin/ Speights/ Stone

That's dumb, making a bunch of people play out of position to complete some unrealistic trade.

Not to mention making the Cavs older and taking away their spacing..

LoveCaliFan
10-09-2016, 01:26 PM
That's dumb, making a bunch of people play out of position to complete some unrealistic trade.

So Redick doesn't give you space? Paul doesn't space? James doesn't space? The bench doesn't space? And they stay about same average team age. They'd have a better bench and also have a small ball team with a rim protector. Or they could look like this to balance out:

Paul/ Felder
Shumpert/ Redick/ McRae
Jefferson/ Jones/ Dunleavy
James/ Frye

Also, as for the Clippers, Griffin can be a great fit at center at both sides of floor. He's not Jordan, but he's good enough to play most centers. Him and Love would compliment each other well. They also get better at the 2, because they'd have a bigger guard to play defense. Kyrie would enjoy shooting and lobbing all game.

Overall, James gets his butt buddy, another shooter and a rim protector and would be happy. Rivers gets a younger point, a big shooting guard and 3 point shooting PF. Along with be able to have a Center(Griffin) to space floor.

kingsdelez24
10-09-2016, 02:03 PM

So Redick doesn't give you space? Paul doesn't space? James doesn't space? The bench doesn't space? And they stay about same average team age. They'd have a better bench and also have a small ball team with a rim protector. Or they could look like this to balance out:

Paul/ Felder
Shumpert/ Redick/ McRae
James/ Frye

Also, as for the Clippers, Griffin can be a great fit at center at both sides of floor. He's not Jordan, but he's good enough to play most centers. Him and Love would compliment each other well. They also get better at the 2, because they'd have a bigger guard to play defense. Kyrie would enjoy shooting and lobbing all game.

Overall, James gets his butt buddy, another shooter and a rim protector and would be happy. Rivers gets a younger point, a big shooting guard and 3 point shooting PF. Along with be able to have a Center(Griffin) to space floor.

Man, that sounds like the best 2k team ever

Now if only 2k was how basketball worked irl...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Bucks declined a JR Smith trade back when he played for the Knicks. Yeah Middleton is injured be we don't have the asking price Smith wants for a contract.

Stunner
10-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Celtics reportedly have interest in free-agent SG J.R. Smith ble.ac/2cLapMy

https://twitter.com/br_nba/status/785189735916593152

Clint Olbrock
10-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Paul/ Felder
Shumpert/ Redick/ McRae
James/ Frye

Sure he does but is he the 2 way player JR is? No. Does CP3 spread it sure, as well as Kyrie? No. Does LBJ space it, no he doesn't actually.. Just had the worst 3 point shooting season of his career... Sure the bench does but you're making TT go back to the bench after he just earned his starting spot back, no sense there.

They get 7 years older at PG.. They get a year older at SG. How does their bench get better? Either way you are putting Shump(who doesn't spread the floor) or RJ in the starting 5.. You can't even use DJ late because he is the worst FT shooter in the NBA..

Not to mention LBJ is the primary ball handler on the Cavs so him and CP3's playing styles kind of clash..

It's a garbage trade idea.

LoveCaliFan
10-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Sure he does but is he the 2 way player JR is? No. Does CP3 spread it sure, as well as Kyrie? No. Does LBJ space it, no he doesn't actually.. Just had the worst 3 point shooting season of his career... Sure the bench does but you're making TT go back to the bench after he just earned his starting spot back, no sense there.

They get 7 years older at PG.. They get a year older at SG. How does their bench get better? Either way you are putting Shump(who doesn't spread the floor) or RJ in the starting 5.. You can't even use DJ late because he is the worst FT shooter in the NBA..

Not to mention LBJ is the primary ball handler on the Cavs so him and CP3's playing styles kind of clash..

It's a garbage trade idea.

J.R. has never been two way. He had that one good year playing D and everyone thinks he a two way pllayer. Phh! He only looked good because of the help defense. But he has never been a good defender. The Cavs have good team defense though. but has nothing to do with J.R. And i only put the lineup that way to have space. And your basically saying that if they got Jordan they wouldn't want thompson coming off bench with starter minutes. Yea, okay! Especially if Bron can nab Paul and Redick as well. They would probably package him instead of Love to Clippers anyways. So this:

Paul/ Felder
Shumpert/ Redick/ McRae
James/ Jones/ Dunleavy
Love/ Jefferson/ Frye
Jordan/ Anderson

Irving/ Rivers/ Felton
Smith/ Crawford
Griffin/ Bass/ Johnson
Thompson/ Speights/ Stone

Clint Olbrock
10-09-2016, 08:20 PM
J.R. has never been two way. He had that one good year playing D and everyone thinks he a two way pllayer. Phh! He only looked good because of the help defense. But he has never been a good defender. The Cavs have good team defense though. but has nothing to do with J.R. And i only put the lineup that way to have space. And your basically saying that if they got Jordan they wouldn't want thompson coming off bench with starter minutes. Yea, okay! Especially if Bron can nab Paul and Redick as well. They would probably package him instead of Love to Clippers anyways. So this:

Paul/ Felder
Shumpert/ Redick/ McRae
James/ Jones/ Dunleavy
Love/ Jefferson/ Frye
Jordan/ Anderson

Irving/ Rivers/ Felton
Smith/ Crawford
Griffin/ Bass/ Johnson
Thompson/ Speights/ Stone
We aren't giving up a 24 year old shoot first PG for a 31 year old pass first PG.. Idk what you don't understand about that.

JasonJohnHorn
10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
I feel like this is a situation where a team looking to win the East should consider paying for him just to make it harder for the Cavs to dominate. If the Raptors picked him up somehow, or the Celtics, or even the Hawks.... it would give other teams a fighting chance.

The Cavs, on the other had, should just shut up and pay him the 15 mil. That is a bargain in this league right now. Give him a 3-year deal. It won't kill you.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-11-2016, 01:06 PM
76ers are $27.9M under the cap. Not saying they go after him though.

Stunner
10-14-2016, 08:29 PM
J.R. Smith and the Cavs have come to terms on a four-year $57 million deal, league sources say

tredigs
10-14-2016, 09:37 PM
J.R. Smith and the Cavs have come to terms on a four-year $57 million deal, league sources say

Not positive but I think him getting this level deal signs them into massive salary-tax level, and higher next year. it'll be interesting to see how they gluandle that or if Gilbert is willing to pay North of 100 million in tax penalties alone over the next 2 seasons.

Knick_Fever
10-14-2016, 10:13 PM

Grossly overpaid by at least $20 mil for length of contract. Definitely a panic move forced by gilbert in response to James' aggressive lobbying.

Clint Olbrock
10-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Grossly overpaid by at least $20 mil for length of contract. Definitely a panic move forced by gilbert in response to James' aggressive lobbying.

You don't think JR is worth even $10 million annually? :laugh:

NYKnickFanatic
10-14-2016, 11:00 PM

Overpaid?

Evan Turner - 4 years, 70 million.
Chandler Parson - 4 years, 94 million.
Evan Fournier - 5 year, 85 million.
Kent Bazemore - 4 years, 70 million.
Luol Deng - 4 years, 70 million.
Ryan Anderson - 4 years, 80 million.

Knick_Fever
10-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Overpaid?

Evan Turner - 4 years, 70 million.
Chandler Parson - 4 years, 94 million.
Evan Fournier - 5 year, 85 million.
Kent Bazemore - 4 years, 70 million.
Luol Deng - 4 years, 70 million.
Ryan Anderson - 4 years, 80 million.

No one on that list is a loose cannon. Funny how people roll out these contracts of players who are known for consistency as a futile attempt to justify career inconsistent player that is better known for on/off-court antics. So hell no to if he's worth that much and I think we all know James had everything to do with that. They are taking a huge risk here, banking on the notion that he'll duplicate the production he had in the finals, which was ok but unwarranted of that dollar amount. The problem is that he won't duplicate those results because with the addition of KD, Green will probably get that assignment. But hey, he got paid!!!! Can't be mad at him hahaha.

Stunner
10-14-2016, 11:43 PM
I rather pay Jr than to give Deng , Turner and maybe even Paraons the money they got

LA_Raiders
10-15-2016, 12:32 AM
Overpaid, but that is all was left for the Cavs. I still think the Bulls will beat them in the poffs.

More-Than-Most
10-15-2016, 12:47 AM
lebron james is the best teammate ever... say what you will but he flat out gets his teammates paid.

ClevelandSpider
10-15-2016, 01:16 AM
Overpaid, but that is all was left for the Cavs. I still think the Bulls will beat them in the poffs.

Wrong on both parts. You're a funny guy, thanks for the laugh...

BKLYNpigeon
10-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Cavs are like 100 mil in the luxury tax. ouch.

The Warriors are under the Luxury Tax after signing Durant and the call us a super team. :cool:

NYKnickFanatic
10-15-2016, 01:46 AM

The Warriors are under the Luxury Tax after signing Durant and the call us a super team. :cool:

Salary doesn't define how good your team is. See Knicks in past years.

ClevelandSpider
10-15-2016, 02:38 AM

Well they certainly don't call you the defending NBA Champions...

Vee-Rex
10-15-2016, 03:56 AM

Lol do you seriously believe the Warriors aren't a super team? I hope not...

Yanks All Day
10-15-2016, 09:16 AM
He's not overpaid in this NBA. $14 million a year for a legit 2-way player at arguably the thinnest position in the NBA (SG) is fair market value. He'll be 34 when the contract expires, so he's still got a lot of good basketball left in him. It's important to know CLE JR Smith is not the same as NYK JR Smith. Playing with LeBron has clearly reigned him in offensively, and he's turned himself into a very good defender. He's truly a championship asset now.

But in the bigger picture, despite the contract stalemates and their awful past, good for Cleveland management. They finally ended the championship drought and didn't say that's enough. They now have Kyrie, JR, LeBron, Love, TT, and Shumpert locked up for at least the next 3 years. They're going to win the East for as long as LeBron wants to play. Management doesn't have to pay that kind of money, but they are (even though it's probably LBJ making those demands anyway). Cleveland has been a bottom dweller for so long, and now they're on top of the world. It's nice to see management willing to cut the checks to keep that going.

nycericanguy
10-15-2016, 10:05 AM
He's not overpaid in this NBA. $14 million a year for a legit 2-way player at arguably the thinnest position in the NBA (SG) is fair market value. He'll be 34 when the contract expires, so he's still got a lot of good basketball left in him. It's important to know CLE JR Smith is not the same as NYK JR Smith. Playing with LeBron has clearly reigned him in offensively, and he's turned himself into a very good defender. He's truly a championship asset now.

But in the bigger picture, despite the contract stalemates and their awful past, good for Cleveland management. They finally ended the championship drought and didn't say that's enough. They now have Kyrie, JR, LeBron, Love, TT, and Shumpert locked up for at least the next 3 years. They're going to win the East for as long as LeBron wants to play. Management doesn't have to pay that kind of money, but they are (even though it's probably LBJ making those demands anyway). Cleveland has been a bottom dweller for so long, and now they're on top of the world. It's nice to see management willing to cut the checks to keep that going.

i mean TBH he is the same player...lol. but in NY he had to be the #2 option behind Melo and he just wasn't good enough or consistent enough to do that. He's in a better role now as the #4 or #5 option in CLE. Which goes to show you how much more help Lebron has had than Melo. Imagine Lebron having JR or Felton as his #2 guy?.

JR has always been a great 3pt shooter and could play D when he wanted to. Lebron is a much better team leader and motivator than Melo. Plus playing in important games and being away from the NYC nightlife has JR more focused too.

But overall he's the same guy, it's just when you win perception changes.

FlashBolt
10-15-2016, 12:16 PM
i mean TBH he is the same player...lol. but in NY he had to be the #2 option behind Melo and he just wasn't good enough or consistent enough to do that. He's in a better role now as the #4 or #5 option in CLE. Which goes to show you how much more help Lebron has had than Melo. Imagine Lebron having JR or Felton as his #2 guy?.

JR has always been a great 3pt shooter and could play D when he wanted to. Lebron is a much better team leader and motivator than Melo. Plus playing in important games and being away from the NYC nightlife has JR more focused too.

But overall he's the same guy, it's just when you win perception changes.

He's not really the same guy at all. Remember when he was untying shoelaces and getting himself into fights? Haven't seen much if any of that behavior since. He's just grown up and LeBron has done a lot of that. Most of his teammates are becoming as professional as can be (Cole, James Jones, Miller). His defense has also been underrated as hell. That's probably the best thing he brings right now to the Cavs. They need his defense.

FlashBolt
10-15-2016, 12:17 PM

That's because you guys paid Curry after his injury.. His contract is basically worth nothing but will explode to $30+ million next season. And since when did spending more money define what kind of team you are?

nycericanguy
10-15-2016, 12:51 PM
He's not really the same guy at all. Remember when he was untying shoelaces and getting himself into fights? Haven't seen much if any of that behavior since. He's just grown up and LeBron has done a lot of that. Most of his teammates are becoming as professional as can be (Cole, James Jones, Miller). His defense has also been underrated as hell. That's probably the best thing he brings right now to the Cavs. They need his defense.

well i said he was the same PLAYER, which he basically is. But I agree he's more focused in CLE with Lebron. but in terms of player production he's the same.

also that shoe lace thing was incredibly overblown, only because it was JR. lots of players horse around during games.

FlashBolt
10-15-2016, 12:52 PM
well i said he was the same PLAYER, which he basically is. But I agree he's more focused in CLE with Lebron. but in terms of player production he's the same.

also that shoe lace thing was incredibly overblown, only because it was JR. lots of players horse around during games.

Who unties shoelaces like JR did? That's not representative of the majority of the league anyways. And he's not really the same player. He's not taking shots that he did in NY where he would heatcheck when he's 0-10.

NYKnickFanatic
10-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Who unties shoelaces like JR did? That's not representative of the majority of the league anyways. And he's not really the same player. He's not taking shots that he did in NY where he would heatcheck when he's 0-10.

Artest used to pull down shorts.