PDA

View Full Version : Where does Karl Anthony Towns rank at Center?

KnicksorBust
10-03-2016, 09:19 AM
I believe KAT last year was an elite center. If you had to make a ranking of the top centers in the NBA, where would you rank KAT?

ManningToTyree
10-03-2016, 09:57 AM
By seasons end he will be considered top 3

tredigs
10-03-2016, 11:03 AM
He was probably a top-5 center (the games most shallow position by a wide margin), but closer to top 35-40 in the NBA as a whole. Next year should be a different story.

You're certainly one year too soon on calling him a superstar (as you did in trying to downplay Rubio in the other thread).

Hawkeye15
10-03-2016, 11:47 AM
I think Towns is a sure fire superstar at some point. But I also don't think the expectations should be that he is one so fast. He still has a lot to learn, especially defensively, to reach that level. Will he get there? For sure. Is he there? Meh, need to pump the breaks a little.

By year 3, I think he asserts himself as the best center easily, and might be fighting for best big in the game.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2016, 01:33 PM
By seasons end he will be considered top 3

Why seasons end? Where is he right now?

He was probably a top-5 center (the games most shallow position by a wide margin), but closer to top 35-40 in the NBA as a whole. Next year should be a different story.

You're certainly one year too soon on calling him a superstar (as you did in trying to downplay Rubio in the other thread).

Who was better than him last year? If you are top 3 at your position isn't that elite?

I think Towns is a sure fire superstar at some point. But I also don't think the expectations should be that he is one so fast. He still has a lot to learn, especially defensively, to reach that level. Will he get there? For sure. Is he there? Meh, need to pump the breaks a little.

By year 3, I think he asserts himself as the best center easily, and might be fighting for best big in the game.

For ONE season (2016/2017) how many centers would you rather have on your team? Seriously.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm not even sure I would take Jordan or Cousins over him and those are supposed to be the "easy" answers.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2016, 01:52 PM
you don't want my biased answer KoB. I have a sneaking suspicion, that by January, he will be a legit top 10 player in the game. But I just can't set my expectations that high yet.

FlashBolt
10-03-2016, 02:01 PM
I really don't think we're being fair in the evaluation here. It's much easier to perform absolutely great for one season than having to step it up season after season. At some point, your numbers and impact just grows stale. He'll be a 20/10 player but I'm not sure he's ready to carry a team yet. Until he can, not sure how he can be a top ten player. Can Minny make the playoffs? If they do, that's something to consider. Remember what happened with the AD debacle? Went from having exceedingly high expectations and now, some don't even have him in their top ten.

tredigs
10-03-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm not even sure I would take Jordan or Cousins over him and those are supposed to be the "easy" answers.

You called him a superstar in the Rubio thread. That is a joke of a statement. He is not a superstar. He WILL be if he matures as expected, but this was not a guy going out there and taking over ball games day in and day out (that is what superstars do). That said, I saw him live against the Dubs in one of his best games of the year though... he embarrassed Draymond on multiple occasions... he's coming.

"Elite". OK. I suppose in your backtracking from superstar to elite, I can grant you a pass. But yes, DJ and Cousins were both better than him. So were Horford and Drummond IMO. He was closer to Jokic in impact than Cousins. Regardless, there is no top-10 player at Center, and KAT has to fulfill his potential to join the ranks of the true elite/superstars.

FlashBolt
10-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Top ten center in today's league is equivalent to a top 100 NBA player. What matters most is whether or not Towns can continue putting up numbers while being the focal point of the Wolves offense and defense. He's very talented but one season in which he put up great numbers despite his team having zero expectations doesn't really prove much.

Scoots
10-03-2016, 02:16 PM
KAT is #1 now.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2016, 02:21 PM
you don't want my biased answer KoB. I have a sneaking suspicion, that by January, he will be a legit top 10 player in the game. But I just can't set my expectations that high yet.

That's exactly what I want!! :laugh: There it is. Top 10.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2016, 03:15 PM
That's exactly what I want!! :laugh: There it is. Top 10.

true.

I am a Wolves fan. We were given a gift in Towns. There is literally nothing he doesn't look like he will be excellent at, in any phase of the game. I just have to temper my expectations. If he truly is one of the next generational players, year 2 is where he steps up and shows the numbers/impact that all timers had by taking over games much more consistently, and putting up a large VORP, and leading his team to a playoff spot.

mrblisterdundee
10-04-2016, 11:47 AM
I think he's top five, but let's see how he does with more expectations this year. I'll still place him some of the top centers with more experience, like DeAndre Jordan, DeMarcus Cousins, Al Horford and Dwight Howard, who I think will have a resurgence in Atlanta.

Shammyguy3
10-04-2016, 05:03 PM
top-3 last year, this year we'll find out if he makes the jump

R. Johnson#3
10-04-2016, 05:10 PM
He'll be right up there with DMC by season's end. He's the next legendary big man. He is so unbelievably dangerous on offense and his defense is already looking good.

Scoots
10-05-2016, 08:03 AM
He'll be right up there with DMC by season's end. He's the next legendary big man. He is so unbelievably dangerous on offense and his defense is already looking good.

So, by saying he'll reach DMC's level this year ... if you had a choice of DMC or Towns right now you'd consider DMC? Not me, not even close.

Vee-Rex
10-05-2016, 10:58 AM
So, by saying he'll reach DMC's level this year ... if you had a choice of DMC or Towns right now you'd consider DMC? Not me, not even close.

Well, of course Towns is the choice because in that scenario you have to factor in his youth and potential.

If your team was in the finals and you had to choose DMC or Towns for one finals series, who would you choose? I think it's a bit of a closer choice in that scenario.

KnicksorBust
10-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Well, of course Towns is the choice because in that scenario you have to factor in his youth and potential.

If your team was in the finals and you had to choose DMC or Towns for one finals series, who would you choose? I think it's a bit of a closer choice in that scenario.

Scoots voted #1. I would rather have Towns over DMC too.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2016, 11:25 AM

if we are basing off what we saw last year, close call. I have a feeling, by mid season, Towns will be the answer to your question.

Scoots
10-05-2016, 12:40 PM

I was talking about this season, not on-going.

And if it was just for the finals I'd still take Towns. His contention was that MAYBE Towns might reach DMC's level near the end of this season.

I actually like DMC as a player, but he's been broken for a long time and his advantages in his individual game right now are out weighed by the issues with his game and the man compared to Towns right now.

IKnowHoops
10-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Towns is the best Center next season

NBA-GMaster
10-12-2016, 02:41 AM
Im not sure if he's a top 3 center.. so i guess he's a top 4..
1. Cousins
2. Jordan
3. Drummond
4. Towns

More-Than-Most
10-12-2016, 02:54 AM
2nd behind embiid

Heediot
10-12-2016, 07:01 PM
top 3. will be number one by years end.

valade16
10-12-2016, 07:44 PM
So game 1 next season you expect Towns to play better than Cousins? I will be very interested to see the stat lines week 1.

mavwar53
10-12-2016, 08:18 PM
For this question I go to another question. Who would I rather have this season at C.

Maybe DJ, maybe cousins, maybe Gasol, maybe Cousins.

All maybes. KAT top 5 for sure and I'd give him strong consideration for number 1 based on his all around game compared to some of the others.

Miltstar
10-12-2016, 09:12 PM
He's #3 overall in fantasy... It's only a matter of time before he's universally considered the #1 center in the game. If you aren't on the bandwagon yet, you will be soon... I don't understand at all how anyone could put him outside of the top 5

Scoots
10-13-2016, 10:19 AM
So game 1 next season you expect Towns to play better than Cousins? I will be very interested to see the stat lines week 1.

I expect Towns to be better overall for a team next season yes. Cousins is incredibly talented but he's also a bit of a nightmare for a team.

Heediot
10-13-2016, 10:25 AM

It's not far fetched his rookie season is almost close to AD's 2nd season, and AD made the argument for best 4 by his third. Towns could make the argument for best 5 by years end.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2016, 10:37 AM

over the course of the 2016-17 season, I expect Towns to be the best center in the game.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2016, 11:44 AM
over the course of the 2016-17 season, I expect Towns to be the best center in the game.

You're exposed now. I knew I would get it out of you! Of course... I agree. :laugh: So I'm out there too but I don't see why people are clinging to Cousins at this point.

SeoulBeatz
10-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Agreed.

Between AD, Cousins, and KAT, i think KAT has the most positives going for him. Crazy he's so good at such a young age.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2016, 11:53 AM
You're exposed now. I knew I would get it out of you! Of course... I agree. :laugh: So I'm out there too but I don't see why people are clinging to Cousins at this point.

I hate putting big expectations on Towns in year 2. But the dude blew me away. Every coach he has ever had, has said he owns anything you throw at him. I just like his attitude (going ballistic after a loss against Phx in which he actually dominated but couldn't close out to block a shot in the closing seconds), and every word he says is perfect.

Barring injury, he might be the best player in the game in a few years.

SeoulBeatz
10-13-2016, 11:55 AM

Yeah Cousin's is too much of a headcase to put him as the top C in the league IMHO. Talent wise, he's got it all but I think Towns will develop more of a defensive impact and his intangibles will separate him from Cousins this year.

valade16
10-13-2016, 12:06 PM

I get that and I agree, but the question was "right this moment" wasn't it? That means Towns should be the best C in the NBA game 1 of next season. That is far different than by the end of the season Towns will be the best.

The season is 82 games and hopefully Towns is better game 82 than he was game 1.

Scoots
10-13-2016, 12:43 PM
So, somehow when this thread started and I said he's #1 and voted him that way people were arguing ... now on page 3 there is a consensus he's #1? What happened :)

KnicksorBust
10-13-2016, 02:14 PM
So, somehow when this thread started and I said he's #1 and voted him that way people were arguing ... now on page 3 there is a consensus he's #1? What happened :)

You Jedi-mind tricked us. :laugh: Sorry just saw the first 3 star wars movies for the first time last month.

Let's just hope he stays healthy. Anthony Davis had incredible hype to be an MVP and now the poor guy can't stay on the floor.

FlashBolt
10-13-2016, 02:35 PM
I can't see him being the best center so soon. Some of you are expecting his numbers to skyrocket but we've seen rookies average their career highs in the early stages of their career and then never get to that level again. Shaq averaged the most rebounds his first season and never got to that again. Not saying Towns won't be great because he certainly has the capability but we should slow down before saying he's the best C or will be by next season. I'd still take Cousins and Marc Gasol over him.

R. Johnson#3
10-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Obviously not. How do you even come to that conclusion when I claim he'll be the next legendary big man?

KnicksorBust
10-13-2016, 02:53 PM
I can't see him being the best center so soon. Some of you are expecting his numbers to skyrocket but we've seen rookies average their career highs in the early stages of their career and then never get to that level again. Shaq averaged the most rebounds his first season and never got to that again. Not saying Towns won't be great because he certainly has the capability but we should slow down before saying he's the best C or will be by next season. I'd still take Cousins and Marc Gasol over him.

They don't have to sky-rocket... a couple more mpg... a couple more ppg...improvements on the defensive end ... keep his efficiency and he is already there. With Thibs as his coach I can't imagine any of those things that I listed not being met. Defense will be the easiest with master and Thibs is not shy about playing young players big minutes. It seems almost irrational to think he won't make the jump.

R. Johnson#3
10-13-2016, 02:55 PM

It's more than just the stat sheet dude. You need to watch him play to understand the hype. He's miles ahead.

Wisdom Listens
10-13-2016, 03:11 PM

It's that damn logic thing creeping up again. ;)

FlashBolt
10-13-2016, 10:31 PM
It's more than just the stat sheet dude. You need to watch him play to understand the hype. He's miles ahead.

I know it isn't about the numbers but what are some of you expecting him to do to claim he's the best center?
Can he lead his team to the playoffs? Is he a DPOY candidate? He's playing on a team with few expectations. Let's see where it goes when teams actually care enough to play him.

Jeffy25
10-14-2016, 12:27 AM
I say top 3, knowing that there are arguments that have merit for him to be number 1

So put me down as he belongs in the top 3, arguably number 1

Sanjay
01-19-2017, 07:58 PM
I believe KAT last year was an elite center. If you had to make a ranking of the top centers in the NBA, where would you rank KAT?

1. Cousins (if you put him under C instead of PF)
2. Anthony-Towns
3. M. Gasol
4. Whiteside
5. Jordan

Bostonjorge
01-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Towns last year with KG working with him was top 3 only behind AD and Cousins. This year KG is working with Jordan and Jordan is top 3 for sure now. He's the best rebounder in the game. Towns for me didn't take that huge jump in his game yet. He's destined for greatness but we are grading today. My top 5 C's.

AD
Cousins
Jordan
M. Gasol
Adams

JasonJohnHorn
01-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Top five seems reasonable.

1. DMC is simply putting up better numbers.
2. Anthony Davis, though oft injured, is a better player right now.
3. Though perhaps statistically more impressive than vets like Marc Gasol, KAT isn't winning games.

Now.... DMC and AD aren't winning many game either, but their numbers (IMO) are better. And unlike other C's with slightly less impressive numbers, he isn't winning games.

So a top-5 ranking seems fair.

That said, if you are considering potential, or ranking the top C's I'd want on my team, it's between him and AD, and I have injury concerns about AD, so I'd likely go with KAT.

His numbers this year, compared to more other C's in this league at that age, are SCARY!!! To think, had he stayed in college four years, this wouldn't even be his rookie season yet!