PDA

View Full Version : Darren Collison suspended 8 games

mrblisterdundee
10-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Darren Collison, who plead guilty last month to domestic battery, has been suspended eight games by the NBA:

The incident, which took place between Collison and his wife in their home in the Sacramento suburb of Granite Bay on May 30, was deemed a misdemeanor by the Placer County Sheriff's Office. Collison will take part in the preseason, but his suspension begins with the Kings' regular season opener against Phoenix on Oct. 26. He would be scheduled to return at home against New Orleans on Nov. 8.
The league provided additional background regarding its decision after announcing the decision on Sunday afternoon.
"The NBA conducted its own investigation into this matter, including a review of all available materials and interviews of the parties involved," the release read. "The NBA also consulted with a panel of experts in the field of domestic violence, upon whom the league relies in connection with such matters...Among other factors, the NBA took into account the conduct and its result, the player’s acceptance of responsibility, his cooperation with both law enforcement and the NBA, and his voluntary participation in counseling in addition to the court-mandated program."
- Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/sam-amick/2016/10/02/darren-collison-suspended-eight-games-kings-nba/91440720/)

beasted86
10-03-2016, 06:31 AM
I love how Silver has made the NBA into a total front runner that 'really and truly cares about domestic violence'

Yeah right... meanwhile were was this when Jason Kidd was snatching up an MVP?

In reality I'm fine with this type of suspension, but I hope this is not just a publicity stunt and it extends to other heinous acts that puts others at risk such as drunk/intoxicated driving and other crimes that NBA players should have no business being involved in.

Also I really do fear one day Silver's approach in trying to be always be so cavalier and public relations oriented is going to hurt the league in a bad way. He's always trying to make the popular decision "at the time" it seems.

mrblisterdundee
10-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I love how Silver has made the NBA into a total front runner that 'really and truly cares about domestic violence'

In reality I'm fine with this type of suspension, but I hope this is not just a publicity stunt and it extends to other heinous acts that puts others at risk such as drunk/intoxicated driving and other crimes that NBA players should have no business being involved in.

Also I really do fear one day Silver's approach in trying to be always be so cavalier and public relations oriented is going to hurt the league in a bad way. He's always trying to make the popular decision "at the time" it seems.

Women's rights have come a long way recent history. I think Silver recognizes that the NBA has to be in front on the issue.

P.S.: Jason Kidd came in second for the MVP award that year. Tim Duncan won, which karma-wise is as good as it gets.

Shammyguy3
10-04-2016, 05:01 PM

This doesn't have to do with Jason Kidd, first off. Secondly, how would that be a bad thing for the league (being PR-oriented normally helps businesses). And who says he's making popular decisions at the given time?