PDA

View Full Version : Which Title Team Was More Impressive: 2004 Pistons or 2011 Mavericks

Shammyguy3
09-30-2016, 03:20 PM
Simple debate here that encompasses a few questions:
1) Which team, the '04 Pistons or '11 Mavs, was more impressive during their title run?
2) Which team is simply the better overall team?
3) If these teams played each other, who would win in a 7-game series?
4) If these two teams, man for man, was playing in today's NBA how would it change your forecasts for the playoffs? Would these two teams contend? Could they beat the Warriors or Cavaliers?

The poll is simply which team's title run was more impressive, but i think this will have a lot of discussion.

YAALREADYKNO
09-30-2016, 06:39 PM
That Pistons team would beat that Mavs team although I think the 11 mavs had more of a surprising run considering they swept the back to back champions in the lakers and then beat the Heavily Favored heat with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh

Ty Fast
09-30-2016, 06:59 PM
2004 Pistons I woukd say

Redrum187
09-30-2016, 07:26 PM
The Mavericks eviscerating the Heat is noticeably more impressive. The Mavericks were without Caron Butler too... they faced a challenging Trailblazers, swept the defending champ Lakers, spanked the OKC Thunder, on top of beating LeBron/Wade/Bosh.

The way Heat fans talk about Wade, this should be a no brainer that the Mavericks win over them is superior. I'm not sure how a Heat fan can talk up Wade being on Kobe Bryant's level, only to not give the Mavericks credit for beating them considering their respective rosters. You can't have it both ways.

Redrum187
09-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Dirk was considered a top 7 player in the NBA at the time (idiots had Melo above Dirk...), but for a couple months in the postseason, Dirk was the greatest basketball player in the world. It was a special moment in basketball history.

HandsOnTheWheel
09-30-2016, 07:54 PM
04 Pistons

JordansBulls
09-30-2016, 09:28 PM
2011 Mavs. The 2004 Pistons was down 3-2 in round 2 to the Nets and would had lost if Kidd did not have a bum knee.

2011 beat 3 times in a row who had a 1st team all nba and a 2nd team all nba member.

JLynn943
09-30-2016, 10:02 PM
That Mavs run was more impressive. I can't remember a team before that relying so heavily on the three and just being seemingly unstoppable from it They shot, as a team, almost 40% for the entire playoffs, which is 2% more than the Warriors did in 2015. Obviously there was some more to the team than that, but I don't think that team was championship worthy if they didn't shoot so well in the playoffs. It was unbelievable. They put to rest the idea that a 3 point reliant team couldn't win a championship.

Shammyguy3
09-30-2016, 11:12 PM
2011 Mavs. The 2004 Pistons was down 3-2 in round 2 to the Nets and would had lost if Kidd did not have a bum knee.

2011 beat 3 times in a row who had a 1st team all nba and a 2nd team all nba member.

The '04 Pistons beat the Lakers who had home-court and also had Shaq/Kobe both on All-NBA 1st team. They beat the Pacers who also had home-court, and 2nd All-NBA team Jermaine O'Neal. The Nets, even though they went down to them they came back and beat them (they had Jason Kidd who was 1st team All-NBA).

You can't pick & choose what you want when similar arguments can be made for the other side. I'm not saying I don't think the '11 Mavs were more impressive, but you have to be forthright

Giannis94
09-30-2016, 11:50 PM
1971 bucks

SportsFanatic10
10-01-2016, 12:55 AM
The Mavericks eviscerating the Heat is noticeably more impressive. The Mavericks were without Caron Butler too... they faced a challenging Trailblazers, swept the defending champ Lakers, spanked the OKC Thunder, on top of beating LeBron/Wade/Bosh.

The way Heat fans talk about Wade, this should be a no brainer that the Mavericks win over them is superior. I'm not sure how a Heat fan can talk up Wade being on Kobe Bryant's level, only to not give the Mavericks credit for beating them considering their respective rosters. You can't have it both ways.

I agree that the Mavs were more impressive, they played a great series and had a fantastic playoff run. But it doesn't have much to do with Wade. He was the best player in the series, Lebron choked plain and simple and everyone saw it. The Heat also had no depth and started a completely washed up Bibby and Joel Anthony alongside the big 3, so they were definitely a flawed team. Extremely talented but flawed. Anyways Wade played well and certainly did his part, that's not in question...

Wade
26.5 Pts | 7.0 Reb | 5.2 Ast | 1.5 Stl | 1.5 Blk on 54.6 Fg% in 39.0 Min

Dirk
26.0 Pts | 9.7 Reb | 2.0 Ast | 0.7 Stl | 0.7 Blk on 41.6 Fg% in 40.4 Min

And the heat were plain out coached in the series as well...Carlyle competlely schooled Spo and that was obvious as well.

YAALREADYKNO
10-01-2016, 01:07 AM

Ah I miss watching prime Jason Kidd

Dade County
10-01-2016, 02:02 AM
Pistons... They shut down Shaq, & Kobe couldn't take over. Great team defense & nice ball movement on offense. I think i should go back & look at that series again.

Lbj gave Dallas a championship, simple as that.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-01-2016, 03:51 AM
Woo the Mavs beat up on a Heat team with zero chemistry, while having a prime dirk leading the charge. Not very impressive. Lebron choked away that ring plain and simple.

For the Pistons to go and beat the Lakers to essentially split up Kobe and Shaq (Malone, glove) while featuring such an entertaining squad will go down as more impressive IMO.