PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming 2016-17 Season

Vee-Rex
09-30-2016, 11:22 AM
We are approximately 25 days away from the start of the 16-17 NBA regular season. What are you looking forward to the most?

For me:

-see how well the Cavs gel now that we have had a full offseason under Lue and a healthy start (crossing fingers on this)

-Kyrie Irving and his progression

-GS with Durant

-Development of Porzingis and the Knicks

kdspurman
09-30-2016, 11:53 AM
* New look Spurs.. I am actually pretty optimistic about them now, and look forward to watching Pop putting these new pieces together

& not looking forward to it, but adjust to *gasp* basketball without Timmy :sigh:

*Cavs and the East, particular a team like the Pacers. Will we finally see a serious challenger to Cleveland?

*Seeing the Warriors implode and clash..... Yea I know it won't happen. But those guys should be fun to watch

*Other teams that'll have my interest - Jazz/Bulls/Knicks/Hawks/Celtics for different reasons, but I'm curious how each of them do

Hawkeye15
09-30-2016, 11:58 AM
The rise of my Wolves to relevance again

How the Dubs react/play as the bad guys

How Cleveland follows up their first chip (does Love accept his role and not pout, does Irving build off his finals)

Will San Antonio EVER not be a contender

what west teams fall, and make the jump

Chronz
09-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Brick bros in the Chi

Very curious to see how certain experiments play out this year. Will Miami overachieve or fall apart completely in this new era of theirs. Do they even own their own draft pick?

Giannis without Middleton

Harrison Barnes and if he suddenly blows up or proves to be the next over glorified ariza.

Luke Walton in LA

nycericanguy
09-30-2016, 01:16 PM
KP on the knicks is #1.

what will Rose & Noah bring?

Can CHI win with such a bad fitting roster?

How does Whiteside play now that teams can focus on him more? Can he learn to pass?

Will JR smith ever be resigned? And if so, will he wear a shirt?

TheDish87
09-30-2016, 01:47 PM
For the Sixers there is a lot to keep an eye on. We got the battle between Noel and Okafor to see who stays (if any), Embiids 100% for the first time in 2.5 years and drawing rave reviews, Saric finally debuts after a strong Olmypics, and of course the Ben Simmons shows.

also interested in...

The Knicks and Bulls underachieving

The Kings since we can swap picks with them next draft.

Are the Pacers for real and can PG take the next step into the MVP race.

Westbrook finally being the top dog in OKC and the matchups with GSW/KD

nycericanguy
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
For the Sixers there is a lot to keep an eye on. We got the battle between Noel and Okafor to see who stays (if any), Embiids 100% for the first time in 2.5 years and drawing rave reviews, Saric finally debuts after a strong Olmypics, and of course the Ben Simmons shows.

also interested in...

The Knicks and Bulls underachieving

The Kings since we can swap picks with them next draft.

Are the Pacers for real and can PG take the next step into the MVP race.

Westbrook finally being the top dog in OKC and the matchups with GSW/KD

seems most ppl have the Knicks pegged for 35-37 wins, so I dont think there's much room to underachieve.

TheDish87
09-30-2016, 01:50 PM
last time i browsed the forum i was seeing all kinds of talk of 50 wins and a div title. like just about every other year. Personally, I have them maxing out at .500 and missing the playoffs.

jerellh528
09-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Everything about the lakers and the beginning of their ascension.

Watching golden state because I expect them to be really fun

I expect more parity overall, even between conferences, except for the warriors ofcourse

nycericanguy
09-30-2016, 02:18 PM
last time i browsed the forum i was seeing all kinds of talk of 50 wins and a div title. like just about every other year. Personally, I have them maxing out at .500 and missing the playoffs.

yea i think they have a shot at 50 wins and division. But in terms of offseason predictions from the experts all i see is 35-37 wins.

Dont remember anyone saying knicks were a 50 win division winning team last couple of years TBH. but this year the talent and fit is there

Hawkeye15
09-30-2016, 02:21 PM

I have seen 35-40 as the reasonable expectations. I think that is about right, unless they somehow stay very healthy, in which case they could be 45-50

KnicksorBust
09-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Gstate chasing 70 and enjoying every loss they take along the way.

Boston with Horford going for top 2 seed and enjoying every loss they take along the way.

Clippers running out of chances and me hoping to see them knock out the Warriors in the playoffs.

Wolves making the playoffs and me hoping to see them knock the Warriors out of the playoffs.

The Knicks sharing the basketball with 2 ball hogs and a unicorn who is better than them both.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Gstate chasing 70 and enjoying every loss they take along the way.

Boston with Horford going for top 2 seed and enjoying every loss they take along the way.

Clippers running out of chances and me hoping to see them knock out the Warriors in the playoffs.

Wolves making the playoffs and me hoping to see them knock the Warriors out of the playoffs.

The Knicks sharing the basketball with 2 ball hogs and a unicorn who is better than them both.

good luck....

TheDish87
09-30-2016, 03:10 PM
yea i think they have a shot at 50 wins and division. But in terms of offseason predictions from the experts all i see is 35-37 wins.

Dont remember anyone saying knicks were a 50 win division winning team last couple of years TBH. but this year the talent and fit is there

i wasnt talking bout the experts more so the fans and this place. I think 50 wins is very unrealistic.

Vampirate
09-30-2016, 03:20 PM
As a Raptors fan it's really how they handle the post season is what i'm interested in.

Vampirate
09-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Actually, now that I think of it, how will Derozan perform now that he's under contract, how will Lowry perform now that he's aiming for one.

JordansBulls
09-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Dwyane Wade leading the Bulls to 57-63 wins on the season and winning league mvp and the title this season.

KnickNyKnick
09-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Dwyane Wade leading the Bulls to 57-63 wins on the season and winning league mvp and the title this season.

wow....

but seriously, not sure why some have the bulls as a degraded team this year. i say they have a squad... seeing how Wade pushed that heat team last season real close to the ECF last year, he has much better personnel now to do better,

wouldnt surprise me if its the Bulls in the ECF this year,

vs the Knicks of course...:D or the Cavs

DanG
10-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Development of Clarkson, Russell and Randle

Ben Simmons, huge blow for me now that he's injured

GSW just because of the superteam

Also interested in watching how well the Knicks will do

Scoots
10-01-2016, 10:25 AM
The young teams taking the next step.

Wolves
Nuggets
Jazz
Blazers
Bucks
Magic
Celtics

Will Embiid play his first minute?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-01-2016, 01:23 PM
ďI know that itís something thatís never been done before. Even like, people still donít realize that Iím actually going to be the starting point guard of this team and Iím almost seven feet. People donít realize that,Ē Antetokounmpo said. ďYou can see they still have my position listed as small forward or forward, but J Kidd helps me a lot, Sean Sweeney, of course. The entire coaching staff, they keep me grounded and try to put my main focus on how Iím going to run the team this year.Ē

http://www.brewhoop.com/2016/9/30/13111380/giannis-antetokounmpo-point-guard-bucks-training-camp

I posted in the other off season thread. I should of put it here. Giannis will be the starting PG. Not point forward or SG. So he'll be first 7' PG. I thought myself he be SG handling the ball or be point PF. This will be interesting.

Clint Olbrock
10-01-2016, 02:14 PM
- See if the new look Knicks can get in the playoffs, see if they can stay healthy too.
- See if the new look Bulls can get back in the playoffs, see if they can stay healthy too.
- See how the new look Pacers fit together, if the new pieces help or hurt them.
- It's not way up my list but curious to see how Howard preforms in ATL.
- See how good or bad the Heat do with Whiteside as the face of their franchise.
- See if Vogel and the new pieces can help the Magic take the next step.
- See if Thibs can get that young core playing defense and back in the playoffs.
- See how Westy does in OKC by himself.
- See if the hype about the Warriors is real or all talk.
- See what kind of progress Walton can make with that very young core.
- Watch a couple UK West games aka the Suns.
- Last but not least see how the Cavs handle being the champs for a full season.

TheDish87
10-02-2016, 12:35 PM

ahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha

tp13baby
10-03-2016, 03:57 AM
The young teams taking the next step.

Wolves
Nuggets
Jazz
Blazers
Bucks
Magic
Celtics

Will Embiid play his first minute?

To me what young teams are going to make the biggest step forward is the biggest thing. More teams are further along on the rebuilding curve but I think all except probably the Magic will be pushing for a playoff spot but the end of the year assuming health is okay.

Scoots
10-03-2016, 08:46 AM
To me what young teams are going to make the biggest step forward is the biggest thing. More teams are further along on the rebuilding curve but I think all except probably the Magic will be pushing for a playoff spot but the end of the year assuming health is okay.

I'm surprised nobody has come at me about me leaving the Lakers off my list :)

xbrackattackx
10-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Disagree about the Magic.

Elfrid/DJ/Watson
Fournier/Meeks
Agord/Mario
Ibaka/Green
Bismack/Vucevic

Isn't bad in the east.

TheDish87
10-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Vuc has to start. That starting 5 lacks consistent offense. I also think Biyombo will flop.

nycericanguy
10-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Disagree about the Magic.

Elfrid/DJ/Watson
Fournier/Meeks
Agord/Mario
Ibaka/Green
Bismack/Vucevic

Isn't bad in the east.

theres just no offense or floor spacing. Teams won't respect anyone except Fournier on the perimeter.

They may have to start Mario somehow for offense and shooting.

TheDish87
10-03-2016, 02:00 PM
couldnt they start Mario or Meeks at the 2 and fournier at the 3?

FlashBolt
10-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Good luck with Ibaka.. dude hasn't been the same for quite some time now. I really question his age. He is not 27 years of age...

5ass
10-03-2016, 03:25 PM
theres just no offense or floor spacing. Teams won't respect anyone except Fournier on the perimeter.

They may have to start Mario somehow for offense and shooting.

Vucevic is likely the starter. Which means the Magic's starting line up has three above average floor spacers (relative to their position). Ibaka and Vucevic are two of the best midrange shooters in the game. Ibaka can shoot threes and apparently Vucevic is going to shoot them too. With Vucevic in the starting line up, I don't see spacing being a problem. I don't see the offense being as bad as some are making it out to be. The spacing is better, the bench is much better. Augustin, Meeks, Mario, Green and Biyombo is a very nice bench, and three of them are very good shooters. People keep thinking the Magic were terrible offensively last season and can't get buckets, but that wasn't the case. They were 12th in FG% and 15th in 3pt%. The real problem has always been that they don't get to the FT line. Giving the team more spacing, and Gordon more minutes should help. Oladipo was alright offensively, but not as good as Fournier (who will be taking more shots). Gordon should easily give the Magic what Tobias gave them last season. So I really don't see them regressing much offensively.

5ass
10-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Vuc has to start. That starting 5 lacks consistent offense. I also think Biyombo will flop.

Vogel really likes biyombo. If he could turn Hibbert into a DPOY candidate, he should be able to do more with Biyombo. He's a very good defender and he communicates on defense. That's another one of the Magic's issues last season, is the lack of communication. Biyombo definitely provides some intangibles.

I think Vogel is going to turn the Magic into a great defensive team. Biyombo-Ibaka-Gordon are going to be tough to score on, and they'll grab every rebound. The offense doesn't matter too much, just as long as we dint regress from last year. As long as the defense is top 10 in the league, we'll have a great shot at making the play offs. Since 2010, on average, 90% of the top 10 defensive teams (DRTG) every year, make the play offs. I'm betting the Magic make the play offs this year.

kobe4thewinbang
10-03-2016, 03:33 PM
The Post-Kobe, Coach Walton Lakers, really hoping Russell has a good sophomore season and see how Ingram fares.

The Rondo/Wade/Butler Bulls.

The "Championship or Bust, Up 3-1" Warriors and the chemistry/strategy they use.

Westbrook Bringing the Thunder Every Night, Trip-Double Time.

If the Kings trade Cousins.

The Post-Duncan Spurs, how strong Kawhi plays.

If the Clippers have a healthy, cohesive season.

If the Raptors fall short of last year's success with DDR locked up for multi-years.

The Grizzlies and if those huge contracts pay off.

Which head coaches underwhelm early and get fired coming off last year's performance.

Gonna be a great season!

nycericanguy
10-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Vucevic is likely the starter. Which means the Magic's starting line up has three above average floor spacers (relative to their position). Ibaka and Vucevic are two of the best midrange shooters in the game. Ibaka can shoot threes and apparently Vucevic is going to shoot them too. With Vucevic in the starting line up, I don't see spacing being a problem. I don't see the offense being as bad as some are making it out to be. The spacing is better, the bench is much better. Augustin, Meeks, Mario, Green and Biyombo is a very nice bench, and three of them are very good shooters. People keep thinking the Magic were terrible offensively last season and can't get buckets, but that wasn't the case. They were 12th in FG% and 15th in 3pt%. The real problem has always been that they don't get to the FT line. Giving the team more spacing, and Gordon more minutes should help. Oladipo was alright offensively, but not as good as Fournier (who will be taking more shots). Gordon should easily give the Magic what Tobias gave them last season. So I really don't see them regressing much offensively.

they are good mid range shooters, but standing 10-15 feet out doesnt really space the floor all that much. A defender can be within arms length and still be close enough to rotate near the basket.

Also keep in mind Ibaka has played his entire career with some stacked teams and top players. The mid range shots he gets in ORL may not be nearly of the same quality as the ones he got playing with WB, Durant & Harden.

5ass
10-03-2016, 04:25 PM
they are good mid range shooters, but standing 10-15 feet out doesnt really space the floor all that much. A defender can be within arms length and still be close enough to rotate near the basket.

Also keep in mind Ibaka has played his entire career with some stacked teams and top players. The mid range shots he gets in ORL may not be nearly of the same quality as the ones he got playing with WB, Durant & Harden.
Midrange probably wasn't the right term. They're not limited to 15 feet at all. They're elite from 15ft-3pt line. Ibaka is also a career 35.5% 3 pt shooter. Vucevic should be able to be a decent 3pt shooter, we'll see, but he's easily one of the best shooters at his position.

Payton-Fournier-Harris-Frye-Vucevic was one of if not their most used 5 man line up last season, and they were good offensively. Ibaka isn't as good of a shooter as Frye but he definitely needs attention on the perimeter. Gordon should be able to do what Harris did for them offensively (13.4 PPG on 31% 3pt shooting), and he's a better rebounder/passer/defender. Yes Ibaka benefitted from playing alongside superstars, but not as much as you think. The Thunder aren't exactly a great passing team, and Ibaka admitted he grew frustrated with the lack of touches he was getting. In Orlando, he plays with the best offensive center he's ever played with and one that can draw double teams. Payton is a great passer. Gordon and Fournier move the ball well. He'll be getting good looks in the same way the Magic got Frye good shots, and in the same way they got Vucevic a ton of open jumpers as well. They have a guy that can post up and two who can attack and finish in the paint.

They'll be playing a high tempo offense. Vucevic, Ibaka and Biyombo can all run the floor. Payton knows how to push the ball. Gordon can push the ball up the floor or finish with authority. Fournier is a top 5 transition scorer by the numbers if I'm not mistaken. So I think they'll at least be dangerous in the open court, and they'll get a a lot of opportunities to push the tempo thanks to the defense. Offensive rebounding should also be a huge strength. It'll be hard for teams to box out Gordon-Ibaka-Vucevic/Biyombo. All four of these guys can grab double digit rebounds any game.

nycericanguy
10-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Midrange probably wasn't the right term. They're not limited to 15 feet at all. They're elite from 15ft-3pt line. Ibaka is also a career 35.5% 3 pt shooter. Vucevic should be able to be a decent 3pt shooter, we'll see, but he's easily one of the best shooters at his position.

Payton-Fournier-Harris-Frye-Vucevic was one of if not their most used 5 man line up last season, and they were good offensively. Ibaka isn't as good of a shooter as Frye but he definitely needs attention on the perimeter. Gordon should be able to do what Harris did for them offensively (13.4 PPG on 31% 3pt shooting), and he's a better rebounder/passer/defender. Yes Ibaka benefitted from playing alongside superstars, but not as much as you think. The Thunder aren't exactly a great passing team, and Ibaka admitted he grew frustrated with the lack of touches he was getting. In Orlando, he plays with the best offensive center he's ever played with and one that can draw double teams. Payton is a great passer. Gordon and Fournier move the ball well. He'll be getting good looks in the same way the Magic got Frye good shots, and in the same way they got Vucevic a ton of open jumpers as well. They have a guy that can post up and two who can attack and finish in the paint.

They'll be playing a high tempo offense. Vucevic, Ibaka and Biyombo can all run the floor. Payton knows how to push the ball. Gordon can push the ball up the floor or finish with authority. Fournier is a top 5 transition scorer by the numbers if I'm not mistaken. So I think they'll at least be dangerous in the open court, and they'll get a a lot of opportunities to push the tempo thanks to the defense. Offensive rebounding should also be a huge strength. It'll be hard for teams to box out Gordon-Ibaka-Vucevic/Biyombo. All four of these guys can grab double digit rebounds any game.

Ibaka is .355 on almost non existent volume. .3 made three's per game for his career. he's shot it a bit more the past few years, but last year shot well below league average from 3. and again we're talking about WIDE OPEN looks that he got in OKC that he may not get in ORL. Not confident in saying he's even an average 3pt shooter, let alone someone that teams have to respect out there.

has Vucevic ever even hit an NBA 3? saying he should be decent from 3 is a huge reach for a guy that never shoots them

spacing is going to be an issue, there's no doubt. they have offensive talent, but they will need to push it like you say, because half court offense could be ugly for them.

5ass
10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Ibaka is .355 on almost non existent volume. .3 made three's per game for his career. he's shot it a bit more the past few years, but last year shot well below league average from 3. and again we're talking about WIDE OPEN looks that he got in OKC that he may not get in ORL. Not confident in saying he's even an average 3pt shooter, let alone someone that teams have to respect out there.

has Vucevic ever even hit an NBA 3? saying he should be decent from 3 is a huge reach for a guy that never shoots them

spacing is going to be an issue, there's no doubt. they have offensive talent, but they will need to push it like you say, because half court offense could be ugly for them.
He shot the three ball a lot more his past two seasons and averaged 2.7 3's attempted per game, while shooting 35.2% from three. I'd say that's average/above average for his position. And again, I think he'll get clean looks like Frye and Vucevic did. Ibaka doesn't need a WIDE open jump shot every time, and he didn't get that in OKC btw. He can shoot with defenders running at him. He's got a good jump shot, and the Magic as a team, move the ball well. The Magic were very successful in the pick n pop last season. Both Vucevic and Smith were elite. Smith was extremely successful in getting open jumpers, and I feel confident Ibaka will be able to find open shots as well.

Vucevic can shoot like few centres can. He hasn't made many threes in his career because he wasn't asked to. I say he should be decent because I've seen him rain midrange shots from just an inch inside the three point line at an elite rate. It's similar to how Horford developed a three. Vucevic has that ability IMO, but it could take a couple of years to fully develop. He's got great touch on his jump shot though. We'll see.

Ibaka and Vucevic provide spacing. Their ability to hit long twos provides spacing no matter what they do from three. There aren't many centres that can space the floor like Vucevic, and Ibaka is an above average perimeter shooter for his position. I get it if you think they won't be a very good 3pt shooting team, but to say they have no spacing is just wrong IMO. To say Fournier is the only one who stretches the floor is wrong. Three of their starters can do that, possibly more if Gordon can hit 33+% on decent volume. That doesn't mean I think they'll have a good offense, but like I said, if their defense is as good as should be, it wont matter much. Their offensive production last season was actually extremely similar to the Hawks' (ORTG, FTrate, APG, FG%, 3pt%, TS% ect. are all basically identical), and its not like they had better spacing last year... so I think they'll be fine offensively. Defense is what is going to take them to the play offs though.

Vinny642
10-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Honestly nothing, Durant going to GSW made me not care about the season

kobe4thewinbang
10-04-2016, 12:43 AM
Honestly nothing, Durant going to GSW made me not care about the seasonDon't be so glum, friend. Sure, GS will be tough to beat. But anything can happen in the NBA. And plenty of teams got a lot of new things going on. I would say GS is the biggest reason why you should care about the other 29 teams.

Dade County
10-04-2016, 01:05 AM
Enjoying the new HEAT movement with the young guys.

Watching GS light up 3's from time to time.

I wanted to see the 6ers youth movement too but simmons went down.

PK growth, & watching the Knick fan base over hype their team, then the injuries happen.

Seeing if PG can lead the Pacers to a 2 or 3 seed in the East.

Seeing if key players get moved from the West to the East; since GS has that side on lock already.