PDA

View Full Version : Future of the Dallas Mavericks?

kobe4thewinbang
09-29-2016, 06:25 PM
So, Dirk Nowitzki is on his way out, maybe after 2 more seasons, still able to contribute, but not like the good ol' days. They had the fiasco with Deandre Jordan, and they have generally struck out on marquee free agents over the years and made some questionable moves (e.g. Rajon Rondo trade, gutting 2011 championship team).

Now, they have Harrison Barnes on a long contract and made some moves with Golden State for Andrew Bogut. But where do you see this team in the next few seasons?

They seem to be against "tanking" and almost always slip into the playoffs and make some noise, sometimes overachieve for the team's talent level.

Dirk will be gone soon, and they'll likely stay in that undesirable middle ground most people say is unwise because you don't get a lottery draft pick.

I think they'll finish somewhere under the #8 seed or even sneak in again, but the time must come for a true rebuild. I think it's fair to say they've been stalling the inevitable too long.

Say Barnes underwhelms on his new team, maybe trade him then while his contract is long, or maybe he shines in Dallas and that could draw interest from other free agents or other teams. They likely don't get a good pick. They still have Wes Matthews and no longer have Parsons, barely kept Deron Williams.

It's time, right?

Here's the roster/contracts:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/dallas-mavericks-team-salary/

YAALREADYKNO
09-29-2016, 07:41 PM
I think you'll see The mavs go into full rebuild mode once Dirk retires

Hawkeye15
09-30-2016, 10:06 AM

I think Cuban is too competitive to accept throwing a losing product out. Whomever tries to rebuild the team will be given the Morey treatment. Rebuild, but compete and win games. Ie, the hardest way to rebuild...

mrblisterdundee
10-05-2016, 01:50 PM

The Mavericks are built to retool rather than rebuild. They have a bunch of good shooters, some good perimeter defenders and a good defensive anchor. Harrison Barnes, Dwight Powell and Justin Anderson are all solid building blocks for the future. They can both contribute now and learn from the vets.
Barnes is a perfect combo forward for the new pace-and-space era and already has a championship pedigree. He'll probably supplant Dirk Nowitzki as the team's leading scorer this year. Nowitzki could conceivably average less than 25 minutes per game, still assassinating teams in the fourth quarter.
Wesley Mathews is a solid three-and-D combo wing with several prime years left. He's the perfect mentor for Anderson. Powell can play both front court positions. If he can soak in some of the best traits of Nowitzki and Andrew Bogut while they're around, he'll be a great big man for the new era.
I'm glass-half-full on the Mavericks, who have a pretty solid transition plan so far. Add another star as Bogut and Nowitzki fade, and they're right back in the mix.

Hopper15
10-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Pretty much a mediocre treadmill team.

smith&wesson
10-05-2016, 03:42 PM
They should have traded Dirk 2-3 years ago and started the rebuild. What they have been doing the past few seasons is wasting each others time.

- Dirk could go and have a chance to win somewhere else.
- Dallas can properly rebuild in order to be a playoff contender again.

da ThRONe
10-05-2016, 04:21 PM
They should have traded Dirk 2-3 years ago and started the rebuild. What they have been doing the past few seasons is wasting each others time.

My sentiments exactly. I do understand the sentimental value in having Dirk spend his whole career as a Mavs, but it hurting both parties in the long run. It has to be frustrating if your Dirk to be decent and it's just delaying the inevitable for Dallas.

mrblisterdundee
10-06-2016, 01:04 PM

Dirk should be traded to a contender, but I think Dallas is doing a decent job retooling. Like I said before, Barnes, Anderson and Powell are all good building blocks. Every single one of them can play two positions. Meanwhile, Dallas has remained competitive, with solid shooters and defenders like Matthews and Bogut, with Dirk still dropping bombs. They aren't contenders, but they're a team that could reach the second round, and possibly the third if everything fell right. I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas was better than my Blazers.

tredigs
10-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Well at least their $25 mil a year man H Barnes is off to a hot start coming off his epic Finals as the new face of the franchise through their first couple preseason games. 15/2/4 on 4-18 with 5 fouls in 35 minutes of action.

Sorry, but you can't make cap crippling moves like that for players that struggle as a 4th option and not put your franchise in a serious predicament. They swung/missed on better options but sometimes you just have to take the strikeout, fill out the rest of the roster with short term deals and go after it again the following season. I assure you, there will never be a shortage of HBarnes level talent readily available to sign for the max.

da ThRONe
10-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Well at least their $25 mil a year man H Barnes is off to a hot start coming off his epic Finals as the new face of the franchise through their first couple preseason games. 15/2/4 on 4-18 with 5 fouls in 35 minutes of action.

Sorry, but you can't make cap crippling moves like that for players that struggle as a 4th option and not put your franchise in a serious predicament. They swung/missed on better options but sometimes you just have to take the strikeout, fill out the rest of the roster with short term deals and go after it again the following season. I assure you, there will never be a shortage of HBarnes level talent readily available to sign for the max.

Nothing wrong with drafting either. Especially this up coming draft.