PDA

View Full Version : 25 Man Playoff Roster

soxer04
09-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Time to start thinking about the complete roster. I don't think sox will do what I think but here is what I'd do:

Position Players:
1b Hanley
2b Pedroia
ss XB
3b Shaw/Hill/Holt
lf young/Beni
cf Bradley
rf Betts
DH Ortiz
c Leon/Vaz/Holiday
(Yes 3 catchers. leon has been hitting awful and Farrell refuses to leave the team without one catcher on the bench in case of injury. Our catchers might be automatic outs so the ability to pinch hit for them I believe is wise.)

SO I'd go with 14 position players. And 11 pitchers.

Pitchers
starters Porcello, Price, ERod, Buccholz, and Pomeranz.
(I don't know who of ERod/Buchholz/Pomeranz gets relegated to the bullpen yet but 1 goes)

relievers:
Kimbrel
Koji
Kelly
Zeigler
Scott
Ross

RedSoxtober
09-25-2016, 08:17 PM
I think the concern over the catching position is a bit overblown. Farrell's reticence to PH for the catcher spot is not uncommon in MLB at all. I certainly don't think that the concern is great enough to warrant two backups while leaving six other positions a bit thin in coverage.

C: Leon, Holladay
IF: HanRam, Pedroia, Bogaerts, Shaw
OF: Young, Bradley, Betts
DH: Ortiz
UTL: Hill, Holt, Benintendi... Marrero or Hernandez

SP: Porcello, Price, Buchholz, E-Rod
RP: Kimbrel, Koji, Ziegler, Kelly, Scott, Ross, Pomeranz

So, pretty much the same roster with a coin flip deciding on Marrero vs Hernandez for the last bench spot instead of a third catcher. My guess is that Farrell probably goes with Hernandez so the switch hitter on the bench affects opposing RP decisions. I might lean towards Marrero because of the increased emphasis on defense in October.

Green_Monster
09-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Pretty crazy how Tazawa and Barnes both may not make the playoff roster. Barnes especially has been disappointing down the stretch.

RedSoxtober
09-26-2016, 08:26 AM
True. An iteration would be dropping the Hernandez/Marrero guy at the end of the bench and going with another arm to add one of them back. That's a terrible idea with Ziegler representing more of a match-up guy.

papipapsmanny
09-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Do you think the Sandoval talk was pure posturing?

The reason I ask is because it sounds like he is in game shape and playing games. His floor offensively is probably what we are currently getting out of the position, but as we know he has shown to do more in his career previously.

Leon/Vazquez
JBJ, Young, Benintendi, Betts
Hill/Sandoval/Pedroia/Hanley/Bogaerts/Ortiz/Holt/Moncada

Price/Porcello/E-Rod/Buchholz

Kimbrell/Koji/Ziegler/Ross/Kelly/Pomeranz/Hembree

I'd be perfectly okay with this. Shaw is terrible and should be left off the roster .274 wOBA in the 2nd half. That is complete ****.

I am also okay with Moncada as I think it is extremely valuable to have someone with his speed on the bench.

Holt being able to play everywhere makes this possible.

RedSoxtober
09-26-2016, 10:27 PM
"Yes. At the time of the surgery, it was all looking at the start of next spring training," Farrell said. "We're not getting too far ahead of ourselves, here. But at the same time, compliment him for the work that he's put in. The way he's responded to the rehab. The way he's worked himself back into better condition. So we're staying open-minded."ESPN.com

I think that the highlighted part of that quote is what the Panda talk is all about. Panda seems like he needs a lot of positive strokes and I think that Farrell was holding out a carrot for him (as dangerous as that might be).

papipapsmanny
09-26-2016, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it. I don't expect it, but I think Sandoval could come in and post better than the .274 wOBA Shaw has posted in the 2nd half.

soxer04
09-26-2016, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it. I don't expect it, but I think Sandoval could come in and post better than the .274 wOBA Shaw has posted in the 2nd half.

No thanks this year to Panda. Way too much of a risk for someone who missed the season. Don't need to take this risk- we're playing all-time great and he could be downright awful both on offense and defense.

This is similar to the talk about a month ago with the conversation regarding papelbon and how we couldn't do worse and how we needed to ANYTHING to help the bullpen. Patience was rewarded. Sometimes the best moves are the moves that aren't made. We certainly could have done worse with Paps and in this case could do worse with Pablo.

Even if he gets a few hits in meaningless games it can't be trusted.

RedSoxtober
10-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Someone smarter than me might be able to figure out Abad's performance vs LHB for the Sox; overall his numbers were .153/.195/.264, 77PA/17K/3BB/11H. Using him strictly as a LOOGY he should be ok.

Manager John Farrell announced on Tuesday Scott has been sent back to Fort Myers and the move was because of Pomeranz’s outing on Sunday.

“Yes, completely,” he said. “And how he responded physically yesterday, those were all encouraging. His ability to go multiple innings. His ability to throw the stuff that he showed the other night — as I mentioned post game, that was very encouraging. The physical stuff he had, in addition to his strike-throwing. The fact that Drew came out of that outing in a favorable way, the decision was made yesterday on Robby.”

The Red Sox will now have Robbie Ross Jr., Fernando Abad and Pomanerz as lefties available out of the bullpen, with likely Abad not being on the playoff roster.weei.com

-Lavigne43-
10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't understand why Vazquez only had 8 at bats since coming back up, yet he's on the playoff roster. I definitely think he's better than Holladay, but I don't understand why he barely played in September.

I also don't like carrying only 11 pitchers. You have to be more aggressive with pitching changes in the playoffs. Hembree would have been more useful than carrying both Hernandez and Hill on the roster. We don't need 7 infielders, it's overkill.

RedSoxtober
10-06-2016, 01:05 PM
A month ago, this might have been a surprise. But after listening to John Farrell’s approach toward building the Red Sox’ American League Division Series roster the last few days, there was no shock when the official list was announced.
As was the case for all three postseason rounds in 2013, the Red Sox have chosen to carry 11 pitchers. That left one position player to serve as the primary pinch-runner, with infielder Marco Hernandez getting the opportunity this time around.

Perhaps the only other question about the make-up of the roster was regarding the backup catching spot. That position will be manned by Christian Vazquez, who had managed one major league plate appearance between July 2 and Sept. 25. But with Vazquez’s arm coming back into form (carrying a team-best 1.8 second pop time of late), the Red Sox viewed him as the best option to shut down the Indians’ running game if needed.

Here is the Red Sox roster in their best-of-five series against the Indians, which kicks off Thursday night at 8:08:

PITCHERS (11): Matt Barnes, Clay Buchholz, Joe Kelly, Craig Kimbrel, Drew Pomeranz, Rick Porcello, David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez, Robbie Ross Jr., Koji Uehara, Brad Ziegler.

CATCHERS (2): Sandy Leon, Christian Vazquez.

INFIELDERS (8): Xander Bogaerts, Marco Hernandez, Aaron Hill, Brock Holt, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Hanley Ramirez, Travis Shaw.

OUTFIELDERS (4): Andrew Benintendi, Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Chris Young.weei.com

RedSoxtober
10-06-2016, 01:21 PM
I don't understand why Vazquez only had 8 at bats since coming back up, yet he's on the playoff roster. I definitely think he's better than Holladay, but I don't understand why he barely played in September.
I think that the answer is a broader criticism of Farrell. The popular criticism of Farrell is over his bullpen management. It's fine as far as it goes but it misses the bigger picture: Farrell has a difficult time lending his trust. The result is the overuse of certain players in certain roles -- including an over-reliance on guys in the BP. It's manifested itself in grinding down guys like Taz and Koji over the past several seasons. This year it included Leon playing 78 of the final 104 games and Betts/Bogaerts/Bradley each getting only one day off in the final six weeks. (Being an everyday player is fine but in the final week we did not seem to be in "go for it" mode so why not rest some tired guys when the reserves were available?).

I also don't like carrying only 11 pitchers. You have to be more aggressive with pitching changes in the playoffs. Hembree would have been more useful than carrying both Hernandez and Hill on the roster. We don't need 7 infielders, it's overkill.
I don't disagree. My guess is that Farrell will be very formulaic and it comes down to the roles. Hill has historical success as a PH so that's his role while Hernandez is the PR guy (see above). The fact that they're both IF is tertiary to Farrell's thinking.

RedSoxtober
10-06-2016, 01:36 PM
A little more light on the decisions:

Given the potential need with two spots in our lineup where we’ve shown I think a pretty consistent approach to pinch-run. If the game situation dictates that, that will weight heavily if we go with a 14th position player, or not,” the manager said. “Then you look at the five-game series with an off-day in between. If there are no interruption with weather, you have some recovery time for relievers that you may use. Just looking at rosters in the past, we’ve typically stayed with 11 pitchers, as well. That will all shake out tomorrow morning.weei.com

I'm guessing that an unspoken part of the thought process is confidence in Ross and Pomeranz to face RHB, eliminating the need for Abad.