PDA

View Full Version : Team in the worst position for the next 3-5 years

Giannis94
09-24-2016, 10:28 AM
What team is in the worst position to succeed/win in the next 3 to 5 years- aside from the Nets. In other words: what team's front office/player development do you have the least amount of faith in?

I would personally think the Kings are pretty high up there.

Lakers + Giants
09-25-2016, 12:41 AM
Sacramento and Memphis

More-Than-Most
09-25-2016, 01:21 AM
Kings only because they wont trade cousins who wont stay when he hits free agency and is further limiting what they will get for him...

The Grizz would be next....

Then it could easily be the sixers/Lakers if Simmons and Embiid or DLo Bust for either team... Sixers need to hit on Simmons or Embiid while the lakers need Russ to be the player i think he can be or both franchises could be bad for a while.

The nets

Sidenote- Me personally I like nothing the suns have done recently and would have them on this list with the Kings and Grizz... I am not a fan of their draft this year esp.

FraziersKnicks
09-25-2016, 01:56 AM
The Nets, because they have no young talent and don't own their first rounder until 2019. That KG/PP trade has to be one of the worst of all-time.

As rubbish as the Lakers/Sixers are, at least they've got young guys like Simmons, Russell, Ingram, Noel, Okafor etc.

Hopper15
09-25-2016, 03:44 AM
^ Agreed it's the Nets by far.

GoferKing_
09-25-2016, 03:48 AM
Kings and Nets.

5ass
09-25-2016, 03:29 PM
I made this thread last year and pretty much everyone said its the Kings and Nets. Hopefully the Kings trade Cousins and move on from the mess they've created. They need to start fresh. If they can get some good pieces in return they could have a quick rebuild.

Gators123
09-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Kings. Always the Kings.

TheMightyHumph
09-25-2016, 05:16 PM
The Nets, because they have no young talent and don't own their first rounder until 2019.

The Nets have young players. It is to be determined whether they are talented or not.

And the Nets will swap 1st rdrs with the Celts in the '17 draft.

da ThRONe
09-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Has to be Brooklyn. They have traded away all their assets and have no top end talent.

shep33
09-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Nets (although Marks is great), that was just Billy King's mess that he dealt with. Grizzlies next. I just don't see Chandler Parsons making a great impact, and he's always injured.

But worst of all... Sacramento. I feel for their fans. No idea what that team is doing. Never seen a team consistently make poor decisions as they have. Boogie deserves better.

TheMightyHumph
09-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Nets (although Marks is great), that was just Billy King's mess that he dealt with. Grizzlies next. I just don't see Chandler Parsons making a great impact, and he's always injured.

But worst of all... Sacramento. I feel for their fans. No idea what that team is doing. Never seen a team consistently make poor decisions as they have. Boogie deserves better.

I don't know if Cousins' deserves better, as he is one big pain-in-the-azz for his team to deal with, but the Kings offseason signings were atrocious.

ThomasTomasz
09-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Wizards- they made it clear that they wanted Kevin Durant, and did nothing to follow through with anything else as if they didnt have a Plan B if he declined them. They went out and got his coach, they put out feelers a year ago and had every intention of bringing him on board. All of that attention turned Durant away from the Wizards.

Now they gave a max deal to Bradley Beal because they had to. Al Horford, who turned out to be Plan B, spurned us as well. If we can't do any better than this, John Wall isn't going to re-sign here when his current contract is up. Oh, and Ernie Grunfeld is on thin ice, and with another disappointing season, could be out the door, setting things up for another protracted period of retooling/rebuilding/whatever you want to call it.

I love Washington sports (except the Nationals, as I am an Orioles fan) but no team provides as much consistent disappointment as the Wizards. I don't see them doing much better than last year for the next 3-5 years the way things are going right now.

shep33
09-25-2016, 10:18 PM
I don't know if Cousins' deserves better, as he is one big pain-in-the-azz for his team to deal with, but the Kings offseason signings were atrocious.

Since Adelman in 2006, the Kings have had 9 coaches. The last 4 only lasted one season.

That is disgusting. Even Pre-Boogie, after Adelman, they had 3 coaches let go in three years.

Terribly run organization.

Seizabmc
09-25-2016, 10:22 PM
The raptors , because they have already hit there peak and now they just signed derozan who is gonna eat up most of there cap and there just gonna continue to go down hill .

LanceUpperCut
09-25-2016, 11:01 PM
The raptors , because they have already hit there peak and now they just signed derozan who is gonna eat up most of there cap and there just gonna continue to go down hill .

The Raps just had two first round picks and two next season but in your eyes going to the east finals is somehow continuing to go down hill. Yeah makes a ton of sense.

basketballkitty
09-26-2016, 12:28 AM
It's Sacramento. And it is not even close. Also, people thinking that Cousins is Oh so Valuable are mistaken. Cousin's style is all about his own stats. He is horrible defensively, and his attitude will drastically hurt his return Value.

mrblisterdundee
09-26-2016, 12:45 AM
Sacramento has the most inept management, which is why they're never in a position to even have meaningful seasons. They're probably the second-worst after Brooklyn.
I think there's a chance for Sacramento to admit defeat and still make a deal for DeMarcus Cousins. Add more young albeit more developed assets, and drop the disgruntled, melodramatic superstar. I've heard trade rumors about Gay and Cousins to Cleveland for Love and Thompson. I would prefer trading for young back court talent. I might offer Cousins to Phoenix for Knight, Len and Warren. Or maybe try with Oklahoma for Kanter, Oladipo and Payne for Cousins and McLemore.

ManningToTyree
09-26-2016, 09:59 AM
The Nets are a safe answer

Giannis94
09-26-2016, 12:19 PM
It's Sacramento. And it is not even close. Also, people thinking that Cousins is Oh so Valuable are mistaken. Cousin's style is all about his own stats. He is horrible defensively, and his attitude will drastically hurt his return Value.

The thing about the Raps is that they have a rather established GM who is competent and stable. I thought they would drop off the last year or two and they proved me wrong.

JasonJohnHorn
09-26-2016, 01:01 PM
The Nets have next to no assets, and no picks. The best they can hope for is cap space and free agent signings, but who wants to sign there?

The Sixer have tanks and then put the players they were tanking with on the trade block and none of them want to be there anymore (surprise, you build a losing culture and nobody wants to stay). So cap and picks aside, they have fawked themselves good.

Hard to say Memphis... they don't have cap space, but they haven't given away picks and they have assets.

The Kings? They can still (and likely will) move DMC by the trade deadline, and depending on what they haul in there, they could be in good shape.

Nets and Sixers, though given their assets, I'd guess the Sixers are better off.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Nets. At least Sac has a big asset

cmellofan15
09-26-2016, 01:22 PM
LMAO @ the raps. they just made it to the ECF with guys playing way below their potential and missing there star center for a few games. Raptors are in a great position, and they continue to retool to stay in contention.

TheMightyHumph
09-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Nets. At least Sac has a big asset

Sac has a big asset. Unfortunately, he's a;so a big detriment.

Nobody wants Rudy Gay.

Their FA signings were terrible.

As I am a Nets' fan, I believe the Nets are in better shape. And they do have a 1st rd draft pick in '17.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Sac has a big asset. Unfortunately, he's a;so a big detriment.

Nobody wants Rudy Gay.

Their FA signings were terrible.

As I am a Nets' fan, I believe the Nets are in better shape. And they do have a 1st rd draft pick in '17.

a team will give a return for Cousins though. They just will. The Nets have no assets, no talent, and the C's will be swapping picks with you in 2017 anyways.

The Nets, a couple of years ago, were 5 years from being anything again, at least. You have 2 more horrible years to go, then salary, and traded picks, aren't impeding you anymore, unless your front office jacks you again between now and then.

TheMightyHumph
09-26-2016, 03:40 PM
a team will give a return for Cousins though. They just will. The Nets have no assets, no talent, and the C's will be swapping picks with you in 2017 anyways.

The Nets, a couple of years ago, were 5 years from being anything again, at least. You have 2 more horrible years to go, then salary, and traded picks, aren't impeding you anymore, unless your front office jacks you again between now and then.

I consider Lopez, Bojan, Lin, and Rondae to be talent. They have youth and veterans, amd don't have King and Hollins.

I believe their immediate future is better than Kings.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2016, 03:55 PM
I consider Lopez, Bojan, Lin, and Rondae to be talent. They have youth and veterans, amd don't have King and Hollins.

I believe their immediate future is better than Kings.

the only way I can entertain an argument is that the Kings will actually win just enough games to keep themselves away from the top 2-3 picks. That alone is a killer, in a sport/league, in a situation where you don't already have the young talent in place, you either want to contend, or suck badly, to stockpile high picks.

TylerSL
09-26-2016, 04:00 PM
There are a lot of NBA franchises that in a terrible spot right now but I will list off the top 5, or should I call it the worst 5? Anyway, here are, IMO, the 5 teams with worst future over the next couple of years.

5. Los Angeles Lakers
This pick is made with next 2 years in mind as it will be pretty rough in LA for the next couple seasons. The Clippers are a sinking ship as it pertains to contending and the Lakers are the RMS Titanic when it comes to contending. The Lakers don't appeal to any upper-tier free agents and won't until they can get some serious talent in the draft. While they made some good moves this offseason (hiring Luke Walton as HC, drafting Ingram, and signing Deng) they are still lacking the talent necessary to compete for a playoff spot and they do not have a first rounder in 2017. So the Lakers are most likely destined for 50+ losses in both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. After that who knows, but it's impossible to predict where the NBA will be 3 years from now.

4. Memphis Grizzlies
This organization will be a playoff team this season but after this year all bets are off. This team committed a staggering amount of money to a top 15 PG that will eat a tremendous amount of their cap for years to come. On top of that they getting old fast. Zach Randolph is 35 and in decline, Marc Gasol will turn 32 this year and the injuries are piling up, and Vince Carter, who will be asked to play a big role, will turn 40. And lastly, the signing of Chandler Parsons will turn out to be a massive disappointment. I don't even understand why the market is so high for him. Parsons is a 15/5 player who shoots .475/.390/.700. He's not worth more than $22 million, which is what he will make next year. So paying Conley and Parsons over $50 million combined every year after this season with an aging roster, the Grizzlies are ****ed.

3. Phoenix Suns
This team is just devoid of talent and direction. They don't have the product on the court and they don't have the front office stability to put them in a position to succeed in the future. On top of that the West is always super competitive so it will be a long time before we see any success from the Suns as a complete and total rebuild is what's necessary and this will only be year 1 of that. Phoenix has no chance for the next 3 years.

2. Sacramento Kings
This franchise has proved to be the most inept in the entire NBA. They constantly make really awful decisions that put their franchise further behind. The biggest mistake they are making right now is not trading Demarcus Cousins. He has just 2 years left on his contract and the longer they wait to trade him, the lower his value declines. They refuse to trade him because they have some delusional notion that they can win next year, they always believe they can win. They destroyed the credibility of their own head coach and they make WAY too many head coaching changes. They need stability as Cousins has had 5 head coaches in his 6 seasons in the league. They are bad, they get in their own way, they are magnet for players with bad reputations. Sacramento is doomed until they get new leadership.

1. Brooklyn Nets
That leaves the Nets as the team in the absolute worst position over the next couple years. As embarrassing as the Kings organization is the Nets really just made one mistake. But that mistake was such a massive, franchise killing mistake that would certainly get any general manager fired. I, of course, am talking about the KG/Pierce/Terry trade, where the Nets sent 4 first round picks to the Celtics for players who were ALL 36 years old or older Now technically it was 3 first rounders, (2014, 2016, and 2018) and the rights to swap in 2017, but let me remind you that they also gave the Hawks the right swap picks in 2015 for the Joe Johnson trade. So the Nets gave away their pick 5 years in a row (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018). So in two moves the Nets choked themselves off from young talent for the foreseeable future, and they did it for players who were all CLEARLY passed their primes with virtually no chance of winning a championship. In the two years after trading for KG/Pierce/Terry they went 82-82 (44-38 in 13-14, 38-44 in 14-15) with one second round appearance in which they lost in 5 games. Pierce and Terry spent just one season with the team before moving on and KG got traded midway through his second year with the team. Brooklyn mortgaged their ENTIRE future on what was essentially a year and change for those players and went .500 in the two years after. Joe Johnson was the only player who spent a significant amount of time with the franchise, over 3 years, yet they still didn't win and he was not the player he was in Atlanta. Now, they are stuck with no talent on the roster and no way of acquiring it because they will have a low first rounder in 2017 and won't be able to get the lottery pick they need until 2019. The Nets are not the Kings whereas they are the most inept franchise in the league, but the KG/Pierce/Terry trade will go down as one of the worst trades of all time and single-handedly set this franchise back a half decade. Nets will lose at least 60 games each of the next 3 seasons before they even get a chance to begin truly rebuilding.

smith&wesson
09-26-2016, 04:07 PM
The Kings - They should have traded Cousins long ago. They cant even seem to trade Gay... they are screwed.

The 76ers - This franchise tanks, tanks, and tanks... then they try to trade the players they tanked for :shrugs:

The Nets - Brook Lopez will have great inflated stats this year. that's about all the Brooklyn fans have to look forward to. Why the hell did they sign Lin, is he suppose to be Linsanity again or something? head scratcher because imo Jack is better overall.

smith&wesson
09-26-2016, 04:10 PM
There are a lot of NBA franchises that in a terrible spot right now but I will list off the top 5, or should I call it the worst 5? Anyway, here are, IMO, the 5 teams with worst future over the next couple of years.

5. Los Angeles Lakers
This pick is made with next 2 years in mind as it will be pretty rough in LA for the next couple seasons. The Clippers are a sinking ship as it pertains to contending and the Lakers are the RMS Titanic when it comes to contending. The Lakers don't appeal to any upper-tier free agents and won't until they can get some serious talent in the draft. While they made some good moves this offseason (hiring Luke Walton as HC, drafting Ingram, and signing Deng) they are still lacking the talent necessary to compete for a playoff spot and they do not have a first rounder in 2017. So the Lakers are most likely destined for 50+ losses in both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. After that who knows, but it's impossible to predict where the NBA will be 3 years from now.

4. Memphis Grizzlies
This organization will be a playoff team this season but after this year all bets are off. This team committed a staggering amount of money to a top 15 PG that will eat a tremendous amount of their cap for years to come. On top of that they getting old fast. Zach Randolph is 35 and in decline, Marc Gasol will turn 32 this year and the injuries are piling up, and Vince Carter, who will be asked to play a big role, will turn 40. And lastly, the signing of Chandler Parsons will turn out to be a massive disappointment. I don't even understand why the market is so high for him. Parsons is a 15/5 player who shoots .475/.390/.700. He's not worth more than $22 million, which is what he will make next year. So paying Conley and Parsons over $50 million combined every year after this season with an aging roster, the Grizzlies are ****ed.

3. Phoenix Suns
This team is just devoid of talent and direction. They don't have the product on the court and they don't have the front office stability to put them in a position to succeed in the future. On top of that the West is always super competitive so it will be a long time before we see any success from the Suns as a complete and total rebuild is what's necessary and this will only be year 1 of that. Phoenix has no chance for the next 3 years.

2. Sacramento Kings
This franchise has proved to be the most inept in the entire NBA. They constantly make really awful decisions that put their franchise further behind. The biggest mistake they are making right now is not trading Demarcus Cousins. He has just 2 years left on his contract and the longer they wait to trade him, the lower his value declines. They refuse to trade him because they have some delusional notion that they can win next year, they always believe they can win. They destroyed the credibility of their own head coach and they make WAY too many head coaching changes. They need stability as Cousins has had 5 head coaches in his 6 seasons in the league. They are bad, they get in their own way, they are magnet for players with bad reputations. Sacramento is doomed until they get new leadership.

1. Brooklyn Nets
That leaves the Nets as the team in the absolute worst position over the next couple years. As embarrassing as the Kings organization is the Nets really just made one mistake. But that mistake was such a massive, franchise killing mistake that would certainly get any general manager fired. I, of course, am talking about the KG/Pierce/Terry trade, where the Nets sent 4 first round picks to the Celtics for players who were ALL 36 years old or older Now technically it was 3 first rounders, (2014, 2016, and 2018) and the rights to swap in 2017, but let me remind you that they also gave the Hawks the right swap picks in 2015 for the Joe Johnson trade. So the Nets gave away their pick 5 years in a row (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018). So in two moves the Nets choked themselves off from young talent for the foreseeable future, and they did it for players who were all CLEARLY passed their primes with virtually no chance of winning a championship. In the two years after trading for KG/Pierce/Terry they went 82-82 (44-38 in 13-14, 38-44 in 14-15) with one second round appearance in which they lost in 5 games. Pierce and Terry spent just one season with the team before moving on and KG got traded midway through his second year with the team. Brooklyn mortgaged their ENTIRE future on what was essentially a year and change for those players and went .500 in the two years after. Joe Johnson was the only player who spent a significant amount of time with the franchise, over 3 years, yet they still didn't win and he was not the player he was in Atlanta. Now, they are stuck with no talent on the roster and no way of acquiring it because they will have a low first rounder in 2017 and won't be able to get the lottery pick they need until 2019. The Nets are not the Kings whereas they are the most inept franchise in the league, but the KG/Pierce/Terry trade will go down as one of the worst trades of all time and single-handedly set this franchise back a half decade. Nets will lose at least 60 games each of the next 3 seasons before they even get a chance to begin truly rebuilding.

The Lakers are rebuilding and have D. Russel, Randle, Ingram etc. they aren't looking so bad in the future now that kobe is gone they can build properly. I don't understand why they got Deng and Mosgov though. that was a head scratcher for sure.

TheMightyHumph
09-26-2016, 04:17 PM
The Kings - They should have traded Cousins long ago. They cant even seem to trade Gay... they are screwed.

The 76ers - This franchise tanks, tanks, and tanks... then they try to trade the players they tanked for :shrugs:

The Nets - Brook Lopez will have great inflated stats this year. that's about all the Brooklyn fans have to look forward to. Why the hell did they sign Lin, is he suppose to be Linsanity again or something? head scratcher because imo Jack is better overall.

My guess is that you didn't watch Jarrett Jack play last season.

Nets have two promising sophmores and two promising rookies. Of course, Nets are hoping Bojan picks up where he left off at the Olympics.

Billy King and Lionel Hollins are gone.

smith&wesson
09-26-2016, 04:18 PM

lol I cant tell if you are serious.... but you do realize the raptors were one of 4 teams in the conference finals right? How do you call a team that makes the conference finals going down hill?

They added Jacob Poetl who was a top 10 pick in the draft this year.. They have two first rounder's in next years draft as well.

with all that youth, I don't see how the Raps are in such a bad position for the next 3-5 years. Am I missing something ?

smith&wesson
09-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Nets have two promising sophmores and two promising rookies. Of course, Nets are hoping Bojan picks up where he left off at the Olympics.

I have to admit I haven't. But I have followed his career since he played for Portland, and Lins as well since he was in New York.. I simply think overall Jack was and probably is the better player.

I just think the Lin signing was just weird for a team that should probably be either building around Lopez or simply rebuilding all together. A signing like Lin doesn't help Lopez elevate the nets in any kind of way.

other than Lopez and Bojan I don't see much going on with that team. Maybe the young players can prove to be promising to build wit.

da ThRONe
09-26-2016, 04:48 PM
I think anybody that says Philly is completely wrong. They are in my top 5. The fact that they want to trade away players isn't a bad thing. If Okafor and Noel had little value in this leagie then yes they are in a bad situation. They want to trade Noel and/or Okafor because Embiid is potentially gives you the strength of both those players and like those two he's young and needs to be developed. You add in Ben Simmons and this team can be special in 4-5 years.

TheMightyHumph
09-26-2016, 06:34 PM
I just think the Lin signing was just weird for a team that should probably be either building around Lopez or simply rebuilding all together. A signing like Lin doesn't help Lopez elevate the nets in any kind of way.

Well, let's watch this season and see.

MonroeFAN
09-27-2016, 09:11 AM
I have to admit I haven't. Nice.

I simply think overall Jack was and probably is the better player. Why would you think anyone cares after the first part?

Chronz
09-27-2016, 02:28 PM

Their damage is here to stay. You're bragging about JJ ffs. The classic fluke rule player. Google it if you've never heard of it

TheMightyHumph
09-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Their damage is here to stay. You're bragging about JJ ffs. The classic fluke rule player. Google it if you've never heard of it

I'm bragging? I'm stating what the Nets have.

LanceUpperCut
09-27-2016, 02:54 PM
It's the nets by a mile no ones even close. Sac is in bad shape but they have one of the biggest trade chips in the game and a bunch of young guys who could surprise.

TheMightyHumph
09-27-2016, 07:17 PM
It's the nets by a mile no ones even close. Sac is in bad shape but they have one of the biggest trade chips in the game and a bunch of young guys who could surprise.

The biggest trade chip in the game is also the biggest cow chip in the game.

And who are these young guys the Kings have? Don't tell me Tolliver, Garrett and Afflalo.

LanceUpperCut
09-27-2016, 07:59 PM

And who are these young guys the Kings have? Don't tell me Tolliver, Garrett and Afflalo.

Maybe Cauley-Stein, McLemore, Richardson, Papagiannis or Labissiere.

Giannis94
09-27-2016, 09:05 PM

And they call me a troll?!!

Chronz
09-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I'm bragging? I'm stating what the Nets have.

lol , right you are.... carry on then

TheMightyHumph
09-27-2016, 09:47 PM
And they call me a troll?!!

They do? Shame on them.

TheMightyHumph
09-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Maybe Cauley-Stein, McLemore, Richardson, Papagiannis or Labissiere.

Cauley-Stein seems like he has talent. Kings are trying to trade McLemore.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson seems like he has talent. The Nets other youth is Caris LaVert, Anthony Bennett, Justin Hamilton, Joe Harris, Sean Kilpatrick, Chris McCollough and Isaiah Whithead.

Vinylman
09-28-2016, 09:07 AM

5. Los Angeles Lakers

4. Memphis Grizzlies

3. Phoenix Suns

2. Sacramento Kings

1. Brooklyn Nets

The Lakers can retain their pick if it falls in the bottom 3 again... which it probably will...

the added bonus is if they do get a top 3 pick then the first slated for Orlando from the D12 deal goes away...

bring on the tank... not that they will have to try very hard.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Any key injuries to any team can sink a team. Heck my Bucks lost Middleton for 6 months. If we lost Giannis or Parker we're easily top 3 lottery.