PDA

View Full Version : Ish Smith: The Pistons have real chance as champs

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Ish Smith has only once played an entire season with one team. But recently signed to a three-year contract with the Pistons, who he said have a real chance to be the NBA champions this year:

“I always ask people, ‘What wakes you up at night?’ For me, now it’s the pursuit of a championship,” Smith said after a recent group workout with his new Pistons teammates as they prepare for next week’s opening of training camp. “That really is what the case is. It’s like, we’ve got a real chance to be champions. And I know that sounds crazy and people think, ‘Naaah. Yeah, you guys got better; not champions.’ But we’ve really got a real legit chance. And as long as we believe it, nobody else matters.”
- Keith Langlois, NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/ish-smith-happy-sink-roots-pistons-weve-got-real-chance-be-champions)

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2016, 11:08 PM
I don't think Detroit's a serious contender, but they're probably a second-round team with the right matchup — maybe a third-round team if all the stars align and shots fall. I'm salivating for a Detroit-Atlanta series in the playoffs.
Detroit mostly needs to improve their shooting. If at least three out of Reggie Jackson, Ish Smith, Stanley Johnson, Tobias Harris and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope can get their outside shot falling at above a league-average rate, the Pistons will be a remarkably better team. I assume Andre Drummond will keep improving on defense, which will help. The night is young, Smith.

uprightciti
09-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blink
09-24-2016, 12:13 AM
Lol damnit Ish.

cmellofan15
09-24-2016, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't be overly surprised if they make it to the ECF. But a championship is definitely not within their reach.

5ass
09-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Naaah. Yeah, you guys got better; not champions

kobe4thewinbang
09-24-2016, 01:27 AM
I don't know about the Pistons, but it's possible that a 'sleeper' has everything fall their way and they upset everybody. No Cavs, Warriors, Spurs winning the title, but somebody else, barring an injury or early series lead. I mean, it could happen. Everybody wants to bring their best shot at the elite teams, it's an exciting time. Raptors might upset the Cavs next year, or who knows, maybe the Bulls will surprise everybody, or maybe some other team people are sleeping on whose inner workings might spark something special. You never know...Harden's saying they want the title in Houston and under D'Antoni, no defense but, Anderson + Gordon + Harden is pretty tough to beat. Clippers still in it, too...who knows, maybe Memphis turns it on, or Dallas.

HandsOnTheWheel
09-24-2016, 02:33 PM
Lol

archdevil84
09-24-2016, 04:30 PM
lol @ mentioning the mavs and also: the ROCKETS? seriously? the houston rockets? come on now

kobe4thewinbang
09-25-2016, 01:14 PM
lol @ mentioning the mavs and also: the ROCKETS? seriously? the houston rockets? come on nowWhat's wrong with the Mavs? They got Barnes now who might become more of an impact player and Bogut who shores up the defense a little. Plus they still got Barea and Dirk. Those dudes always got a puncher's chance. I'm more skeptical of the Rockets, but I mean, they will be scoring a lot of points. No more Dwight down low, but I think they will blitz past some teams with that offensive firepower.

Chronz
09-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Thinking Im gonna have more fun following mini surges/rivalries amongst these lesser teams than watching GsVCle

MonroeFAN
09-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Obviously I don't agree, but the idea that Knick and Heat fans are laughing at this is amusing.

Have fun on your fast track to no-where.

MonroeFAN
09-27-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't know about the Pistons, but it's possible that a 'sleeper' has everything fall their way and they upset everybody. No Cavs, Warriors, Spurs winning the title, but somebody else, barring an injury or early series lead. I mean, it could happen. Everybody wants to bring their best shot at the elite teams, it's an exciting time. Raptors might upset the Cavs next year, or who knows, maybe the Bulls will surprise everybody, or maybe some other team people are sleeping on whose inner workings might spark something special. You never know...Harden's saying they want the title in Houston and under D'Antoni, no defense but, Anderson + Gordon + Harden is pretty tough to beat. Clippers still in it, too...who knows, maybe Memphis turns it on, or Dallas.

Maybe the Bulls will surprise everybody by signing multiple HOF shooters? That's the only way that team is winning anything.

FlashBolt
09-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Obviously I don't agree, but the idea that Knick and Heat fans are laughing at this is amusing.

Knicks are going to be better than the Pistons.

5ass
09-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Thinking Im gonna have more fun following mini surges/rivalries amongst these lesser teams than watching GsVCle

The eastern conference play off race is going to be fun. Basically every team other than the Nets and Sixes have some chance of making the play offs IMO. Maybe not Milwaukee with Middleton injured, but you have a ton of teams fighting for the bottom play off spots.

5ass
09-27-2016, 06:13 PM

I doubt it. The Pistons have another year of gelling and growth with some added depth. They should improve a little and they already won like 44 games last season. If the Knicks win 44 this season, that would be a huge accomplishment for them. Unlikely IMO.

NYKnickFanatic
09-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Nothing wrong with being confident in your team. Anything can happen, that is why they play the games.

I like the confidence.

R!kSm!tz
09-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Teams in the East better than the Pistons:

Cavs
Raptors
Bulls
Pacers
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

NYKnickFanatic
09-27-2016, 09:23 PM

Cavs
Raptors
Bulls
Pacers
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

No games have been played yet.

How can we know who is better than who?

Catalysm
09-27-2016, 09:38 PM

Cavs
Raptors
Bulls
Pacers
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

Bulls aren't even close to Detroit's level. Their floor spacing is a complete joke. :facepalm:

Indiana's isn't that much better either. Unless they plan on starting CJ Miles.

Hawks will miss Teague and Horford. Giving Schroeder more minutes and trying to replace Horford with Dwight won't make them any better.

cmellofan15
09-27-2016, 10:51 PM

Yeah, I don't believe that for one second. The Knicks might get a combined 82 games played out of their big off season acquisitions.

HandsOnTheWheel
09-28-2016, 03:34 AM

We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you man :)

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Bulls aren't even close to Detroit's level. Their floor spacing is a complete joke. :facepalm:

Indiana's isn't that much better either. Unless they plan on starting CJ Miles.

Hawks will miss Teague and Horford. Giving Schroeder more minutes and trying to replace Horford with Dwight won't make them any better.

So we base teams strictly off of their shooters now? That's a pretty bad way of looking at it. Here's what I see when looking at the Bulls roster:

2 players better than anything the Pistons have

Proven winners on the team in Wade and Rondo

A perfect glue guy at center

Shooters in Mirotic, Doug (6th best in the league), Canaan, and more than likely improved shooting from multiple players

Very solid free throw and mid range shooters all around, you can space the floor with midrange shooting as well.

The Pacers have definitely gotten better from last year. Teague, young, and Jefferson are huge upgrades not to mention the improvement Turner and Joe made this summer.

Even if the Hawks didn't get any better they were better than the Pistons last year as well.

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I don't believe that for one second. The Knicks might get a combined 82 games played out of their big off season acquisitions.

Yea you're probably right on that one now that I look into it more.

MonroeFAN
09-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Have you ever been right about anything ever? Since you are a heat fan, I'm not surprised that you think a gang of has-been retards are going to be a good basketball team.

MonroeFAN
09-28-2016, 10:25 AM
We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you man :)

ok? Nice edit job. Most important people are awake posting on PSD at 3:34AM on a Wednesday morning, I definitely care, and am going to cry about it. You guys are rooting for a PG who ranked dead last among starters last year in basically ever advanced metric available, and Noah, who hasn't been healthy in years. That team is going to flat out suck ***.

MonroeFAN
09-28-2016, 10:28 AM
So we base teams strictly off of their shooters now? That's a pretty bad way of looking at it. Here's what I see when looking at the Bulls roster:

2 players better than anything the Pistons have

Proven winners on the team in Wade and Rondo

A perfect glue guy at center

Shooters in Mirotic, Doug (6th best in the league), Canaan, and more than likely improved shooting from multiple players

Very solid free throw and mid range shooters all around, you can space the floor with midrange shooting as well.

The Pacers have definitely gotten better from last year. Teague, young, and Jefferson are huge upgrades not to mention the improvement Turner and Joe made this summer.

Even if the Hawks didn't get any better they were better than the Pistons last year as well.

This just sounds like you are a novice basketball fan who doesn't understand metrics at all. Rondo is not a good basketball player, and most of these players you are mentioning are career losers putting up big numbers on bad teams. Teague > Hill? Jefferson isn't a good basketball player anymore.

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 10:43 AM
This just sounds like you are a novice basketball fan who doesn't understand metrics at all. Rondo is not a good basketball player, and most of these players you are mentioning are career losers putting up big numbers on bad teams. Teague > Hill? Jefferson isn't a good basketball player anymore.

Man you cant take criticism of your favorite team I guess. You sound like you're really going through it right now. You called a thunder fan a Heat fan, a Heat fan a Knicks fan, and saying I'm a novice basketball fan we've I've watched and been a part of basketball my whole life.

Jefferson is still a very solid basketball player. If you saw his series against the Heat, Whiteside couldn't guard him for the most part. Jefferson has that old school bully ball game in the post with his big body. I guess he's not considered good though because he doesn't shoot 3s.

Rondo led the league in assists last year but I also believe he hasn't been in a good position where he could be motivated since he's been on the Celtics. Playing with Wade and Butler could do that for him.

Also I'm not sure if you're a Pistons fan or not, based on your name you could be a Bucks fan but you should learn to take criticism a little better. The Pistons were a solid team last year but they were a sure bet to be a first round exit regardless of who they played in the East playoffs last year.

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Also why bring up career losers when nobody on the Pistons is a winner? That's an irrelevant point.

MonroeFAN
09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Also why bring up career losers when nobody on the Pistons is a winner? That's an irrelevant point.

I take criticism from people worth listening to just fine. All of your points are useless to me, the game is broader than raw statistics and there's no sense in me wasting time arguing with those who don't understand that.

KnicksorBust
09-28-2016, 11:33 AM
I like the Pistons this year. It's very underrated when a team brings back the same group of players who are all young with a good coach. Jackson, KCP, Morris, Harris, Drummond with SVG is a tough out in the playoffs. Obviously when they had players like Josh Smith and Monroe that was a poor mix of talent but they seemed to have addressed that by making trades for guys like Morris and Harris who have versatility offensively and defensively. Jackson's perimeter game took a nice step forward last year as well as he's always been a dangerous slasher but now becoming a better overall player. The anchor of course is Drummond who has that type of insane athleticism and raw talent that makes you wonder what will be his ceiling. Plus if I'm correct there hasn't really been much injury history with these players as well so that's a nice advantage. A young healthy starting 5 of returning players with a good coach. Sounds like 50 wins maybe? I don't think they have the talent to challenge a healthy Cavs team but it's early to write them off especially when there is only one dominant team in the conference to worry about.

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 11:42 AM
I take criticism from people worth listening to just fine. All of your points are useless to me, the game is broader than raw statistics and there's no sense in me wasting time arguing with those who don't understand that.

Great response after you brought up irrelevant points. Haha! Get off your high horse man I can guarantee you're nothing special and have no more knowledge about the game than other people on here. You must think advanced statistics are the deciding factor in every debate. You probably don't look at situations players are in or anything.

MonroeFAN
09-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Great response after you brought up irrelevant points. Haha! Get off your high horse man I can guarantee you're nothing special and have no more knowledge about the game than other people on here. You must think advanced statistics are the deciding factor in every debate. You probably don't look at situations players are in or anything.

What irrelevant comments have I made? If you're referring to the "career loser" part, I was trying to be nice by affording you the opportunity to take that comment back, and instead you embraced it. Major difference between taking under-appreciated players and giving them a bigger role, and taking mediocre players who had big roles and making them smaller.

I probably don't look at situation players are in? I think that's precisely what you are doing by suggesting that Rondo is a good basketball player. He was in a system that allowed him to post gaudy numbers, that is why you are drawn to him is it not? You started this off by suggesting that not only Rondo, but also Wade is better than anything we have. That is nonsense, but you're entitled to your opinion. You then suggested that Teague is an upgrade to Hill, when he is a terrible defender and demands that the ball be in his hands in order to be successful. Judging by the SITUATION, they are taking the ball out of George's hands in order to make that happen. Same with Thad. These aren't players that are effective off the ball. Indiana successfully replaced support players that fit their scheme with low-grade all stars who need the ball.

New York, I don't even know how to respond to that. Rose was awful last season, are you denying that? Advanced, raw, percentages, it doesn't matter, he was awful. Noah is hardly even a player anymore.

You can continue to think whatever you want, what you are saying is nonsense. Also, I don't give a **** what team these guys root for. I don't have signatures turned on, all of you blend together. (except for users like tredigs, and chrons)

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 12:49 PM
What irrelevant comments have I made? If you're referring to the "career loser" part, I was trying to be nice by affording you the opportunity to take that comment back, and instead you embraced it. Major difference between taking under-appreciated players and giving them a bigger role, and taking mediocre players who had big roles and making them smaller.

I probably don't look at situation players are in? I think that's precisely what you are doing by suggesting that Rondo is a good basketball player. He was in a system that allowed him to post gaudy numbers, that is why you are drawn to him is it not? You started this off by suggesting that not only Rondo, but also Wade is better than anything we have. That is nonsense, but you're entitled to your opinion. You then suggested that Teague is an upgrade to Hill, when he is a terrible defender and demands that the ball be in his hands in order to be successful. Judging by the SITUATION, they are taking the ball out of George's hands in order to make that happen. Same with Thad. These aren't players that are effective off the ball. Indiana successfully replaced support players that fit their scheme with low-grade all stars who need the ball.

New York, I don't even know how to respond to that. Rose was awful last season, are you denying that? Advanced, raw, percentages, it doesn't matter, he was awful. Noah is hardly even a player anymore.

You can continue to think whatever you want, what you are saying is nonsense. Also, I don't give a **** what team these guys root for. I don't have signatures turned on, all of you blend together. (except for users like tredigs, and chrons)

That high horse is working wonders for you man! I never said Rondo was better than anything the Pistons have. Butler and Wade are better than anyone on the Pistons and that's a fact, especially when the playoffs come around. The only person you can argue is Drummond who is a huge liability in close games because of his free throw shooting.

I already admitted I was wrong about the Knicks.

Your post was irrelevant because you were calling out players for never winning anything when no one on the Pistons has either. What was Young supposed to do on the Wolves and Nets? He was a part of a pretty decent Sixers team but other than that his teams have been garbage. Hill vs. Teague is debatable but one of them is an all-star player. Teague was actually pretty good as a catch and shoot guy when he had his opportunities and I think he will do fine with the Pacers. What team has Al Jefferson been on that was built for success?

We're taking a team in the Pacers who were already better than the Pistons as it was and given them Teague, Young, and Jefferson to go alongside a guy who has the chance to be in the debate as a top 5 player in the league. The Pistons on the other hand added Ish Smith.

albertajaysfan
09-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Man you cant take criticism of your favorite team I guess. You sound like you're really going through it right now. You called a thunder fan a Heat fan, a Heat fan a Knicks fan, and saying I'm a novice basketball fan we've I've watched and been a part of basketball my whole life.

Jefferson is still a very solid basketball player. If you saw his series against the Heat, Whiteside couldn't guard him for the most part. Jefferson has that old school bully ball game in the post with his big body. I guess he's not considered good though because he doesn't shoot 3s.

Rondo led the league in assists last year but I also believe he hasn't been in a good position where he could be motivated since he's been on the Celtics. Playing with Wade and Butler could do that for him.

Also I'm not sure if you're a Pistons fan or not, based on your name you could be a Bucks fan but you should learn to take criticism a little better. The Pistons were a solid team last year but they were a sure bet to be a first round exit regardless of who they played in the East playoffs last year.

I agree with your assessment on Big Al I think that was a great addition for the Pacers. Especially if they deploy him off the bench he is going to destroy bench Cs.

As for Rondo, well I give exhibit A, Greivis Vasquez, as to what leading the league in assists means. That team was absolute trash that accomplished nothing. Individual counting stats mean little to nothing in circumstances like that. My issue with Chicago is that adding one of Rondo or Wade makes sense. I would especially like a Wade and Butler pairing. But the 3 of them together doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously there is a chance this works out, mostly I think because of how good Wade and Butler are, but I think some people are overrating the Bulls just because they signed well known players. Personally I foresee Rondo not playing much because of how poorly those 3 fit together and he is the least talented of those 3 guys.

FlashBolt
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Have you ever been right about anything ever? Since you are a heat fan, I'm not surprised that you think a gang of has-been retards are going to be a good basketball team.

And who are you?

R!kSm!tz
09-28-2016, 03:58 PM
I agree with your assessment on Big Al I think that was a great addition for the Pacers. Especially if they deploy him off the bench he is going to destroy bench Cs.

As for Rondo, well I give exhibit A, Greivis Vasquez, as to what leading the league in assists means. That team was absolute trash that accomplished nothing. Individual counting stats mean little to nothing in circumstances like that. My issue with Chicago is that adding one of Rondo or Wade makes sense. I would especially like a Wade and Butler pairing. But the 3 of them together doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously there is a chance this works out, mostly I think because of how good Wade and Butler are, but I think some people are overrating the Bulls just because they signed well known players. Personally I foresee Rondo not playing much because of how poorly those 3 fit together and he is the least talented of those 3 guys.

It remains to be seen but I think the lack of shooting is a little overblown.

KnicksorBust
09-30-2016, 02:41 PM
It remains to be seen but I think the lack of shooting is a little overblown.

Name the last time a team made the NBA Finals and did not have great shooters.