PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rotation

papipapsmanny
09-23-2016, 08:45 PM
I don't think even I can jinx us getting in the playoffs, but this is a really important question. What are we doing in the playoffs for our rotation.

Price, Porcello .... then what?

Do we go Pomeranz? Do we try and get Wright back for one start in one of the last 3 games and go with him? E-Rod? Buchholz?

Petertherock
09-24-2016, 02:29 AM
With the way he's pitching I would give Buchholz a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pittz
09-24-2016, 09:26 AM
I think I'm leaning towards Porcello-Price-Buchholz-ERod with Pomeranz going to the pen. Don't trust him right now, not because I don't trust him as a pitcher, but dude's arm's gotta be tired. And he has successful own experience.

BoSox47
09-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Pomeranz would be odd man out for me right now in 3 starts this month he has a 6.61 ERA.

AI
09-24-2016, 12:03 PM
I would go with Price - Porcello - E-Rod - Clay

As much as I don't trust Clay in a pressure atmosphere, I honestly trust Pomeranz less.

Green_Monster
09-24-2016, 12:24 PM
I would go with Price - Porcello - E-Rod - Clay

As much as I don't trust Clay in a pressure atmosphere, I honestly trust Pomeranz less.

This.

papipapsmanny
09-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Here is the thing... Buchholz has still been pitching like **** when you look at all his peripherals

-Lavigne43-
09-25-2016, 01:26 AM
It sucks, but you have to go Price-Porcello-ERod-Buchholz. I hate Clay, but I could see him pitching a solid game. Like those above, I fully expect Pomeranz would get slaughtered. Maybe you could have Clay quickly ready in relief to take over if Pomeranz looks horrible, but I would rather just take Pomeranz off the roster. I guess you also have to factor in what the opposing teams vs LHP lineups look like. Clay's starts would probably be like Peavy's in 2013.

Price-Porcello-ERod is strong. ERod really turned a corner after dealing with his knee.
Since coming back in July: 67 IP | 3.21 ERA | 7.6 K/9 | 2.81 BB/9

Start off with Price so you can break up the lefties and keep Buchholz at game 4. Losing Wright, especially to something so moronic, is a big blow. Porcello-Price-Wright-ERod would have been excellent.

soxer04
09-25-2016, 02:24 AM
It sucks, but you have to go Price-Porcello-ERod-Buchholz. I hate Clay, but I could see him pitching a solid game. Like those above, I fully expect Pomeranz would get slaughtered. Maybe you could have Clay quickly ready in relief to take over if Pomeranz looks horrible, but I would rather just take Pomeranz off the roster. I guess you also have to factor in what the opposing teams vs LHP lineups look like. Clay's starts would probably be like Peavy's in 2013.

Price-Porcello-ERod is strong. ERod really turned a corner after dealing with his knee.

Start off with Price so you can break up the lefties and keep Buchholz at game 4. Losing Wright, especially to something so moronic, is a big blow. Porcello-Price-Wright-ERod would have been excellent.

No way I'd have Price start game 1. Breaking up the lefties isn't as important as throwing your best. And Porcello is the best for the sox.

papipapsmanny
09-25-2016, 12:59 PM

They aren't going to leave Pomeranz off the roster... they plan to keep him as a reliever if buchholz starts

AI
09-25-2016, 01:01 PM
I'd probably go Porcello - Price - E-Rod

papipapsmanny
09-25-2016, 02:03 PM
They should consider kind of shutting Pomeranz down. Let him do some side work. So don't shut him down but rest him. He has had a sub 4 FIP every month other than September.

I'd sit him then have him as the game 3 starter and have buchholz ready to go that day as well. A rested Pomeranz is definitely better than E-Rod or Buchholz

AI
09-25-2016, 05:58 PM
They should consider kind of shutting Pomeranz down. Let him do some side work. So don't shut him down but rest him. He has had a sub 4 FIP every month other than September.

I'd sit him then have him as the game 3 starter and have buchholz ready to go that day as well. A rested Pomeranz is definitely better than E-Rod or Buchholz

I'll go as far as saying that if E-Rod hadn't suffered his injury at the start of the year, Espinoza would still be in our system. I'll take E-Rod over Pomeranz going forward this year, and it's not even close.

papipapsmanny
09-25-2016, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't and think its silly to say not even close. Especially if you consider resting Pomeranz. E-Rod has been quite lucky the 2nd half.

Digging into the numbers. His LD% is over 22%. DP is at 18%. E-Rod's GB % is 32.5% vs DPs GB% of 44.7%

E-Rod's HR/FB ratio is 8% where DP's is 20%. E-Rod's BABIP is .249. Pomeranz is at .311

Pomeranz has better K-rates and slightly worse walk rates.

Again those are all 2nd half numbers.

I like both going forward, but you rest Pomeranz I trust him more than E-Rod in a playoff start. Go with Pomeranz and have buchholz ready. In fact I would have Clay rather for both of their starts.

It is also worth taking into account who you would think would be the better reliever between the two... which could be Pomeranz since he has experience there

RedSoxtober
09-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Pomeranz hasn't been terrible... only terrible at Fenway. If he were to get a start it would HAVE to be on the road. However, E-Rod and Buchholz have both pitched well enough lately that there's not much reason to consider it IMO. Use him in the BP where he already has experience and can be rescued quickly if the IP count drags him down.

I'm also likely working Wright with the intrux guys and hoping to see if he could offer something in the ALCS (this isn't really an overconfident statement; that'd be the target for his earliest use).

All that said, and with Farrel's hand-tip earlier today, I guess that I'd go Porcello, Price, Buchholz, and E-Rod. That gives the guys with experience the most pressure, leverages Porcello at home. It also avoids Price in an ALDS game 5 (yes, I said it) should his past playoff experience prove to be predictive.