PDA

View Full Version : Will the Kings find a trade for Rudy Gay?

kobe4thewinbang
09-23-2016, 04:52 PM
After a summer of trade rumors, Rudy Gay has declared that he will most likely not re-sign with the Sacramento Kings which all but puts the Kings in a 'trade him or lose him' position. They don't appear to be in a rush to give him away, despite the rumors, but hope for a decent package.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-rudy-gay-informs-kings-hell-opt-out-and-likely-not-return-163849864.html

I saw some crazy rumors from the typical fantasy-level websites, saying Lakers might offer Nick Young and Lou Williams for Gay, but I don't readily see how Gay helps the Lakers when they already have Deng & Ingram.

What teams could use him? If they wait, will it be a lesser package or should they deal him before the season starts, like the Harden for Kevin Martin trade or the Steve Nash trade?

R. Johnson#3
09-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Rudy Gay is a black hole who holds teams back.

R!kSm!tz
09-23-2016, 05:51 PM
I think Gay could be a really nice piece to a team in an Igoudala role. They bring different things to the game but I still think he would be successful and repair his reputation in that role, especially on a legit contender.

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2016, 05:53 PM
I still think Rudy Gay, Kosta Koufos and a rookie would be a good deal for Cleveland in exchange for Kevin Love.
The Cavaliers get a better fit in Gay, who can play both forward spots next to LeBron James. Koufos would be a great back-up center in bigger lineups. A rookie like Malachi Murray, Georgios Papagiannis or Skal Labissiere seems fair to include. Considering Gay only has two more years left, it might even be fair to ask for Willie Cauley-Stein. But it's not like Cleveland has to worry about re-signing Gay.
With Love, the Kings get their biggest acquisition since Ron Artest. Their front court won't be great defensively, but offensively, Love fits nicely next to DeMarcus Cousins and provides some much-needed shooting. And he's locked up for four more years. Considering how many draft picks the Kings have spent on big men, they shouldn't be too worried about giving one up.

Chronz
09-23-2016, 06:04 PM
After a summer of trade rumors, Rudy Gay has declared that he will most likely not re-sign with the Sacramento Kings which all but puts the Kings in a 'trade him or lose him' position. They don't appear to be in a rush to give him away, despite the rumors, but hope for a decent package.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-rudy-gay-informs-kings-hell-opt-out-and-likely-not-return-163849864.html

I saw some crazy rumors from the typical fantasy-level websites, saying Lakers might offer Nick Young and Lou Williams for Gay, but I don't readily see how Gay helps the Lakers when they already have Deng & Ingram.

What teams could use him? If they wait, will it be a lesser package or should they deal him before the season starts, like the Harden for Kevin Martin trade or the Steve Nash trade?

He helps the Lakers by being better than the guys they lose, unless the Lakers are trying to keep stealth tanking.

Dont know **** about when they should trade him tho

TheMightyHumph
09-23-2016, 06:46 PM
They should either package Gay with Cousins for draft picks and youth, or just let Gay opt out.

Kings FO needs some serious restructuring, kinda like the Nets just did, only Kings have some of their own draft picks.

The Tolliver, Temple and Afflalo signings were ridiculous.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Rockets want Rudy Gay according to rumors. Koufus and McLemore also on the block.

R!kSm!tz
09-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Rockets want Rudy Gay according to rumors. Koufus and McLemore also on the block.

I've seen Rockets, Bulls, Mavs, Miami, and another team but I can't remember who it was.

More-Than-Most
09-23-2016, 09:25 PM

The lakers would need to add more... Gay is actually above average... Nick young is trash and Lou would be a good piece i guess but the kings could get more... I would be shocked if the lakers get anything for Nick young let alone someone like Gay.

McAllen Tx
09-24-2016, 07:44 AM
He helps the Lakers by being better than the guys they lose, unless the Lakers are trying to keep stealth tanking.

Dont know **** about when they should trade him tho

Stealth tanking?

When the season starts the only player on the roster between the ages of 25-29 will be Jianlian and he hasn't been in the league for years.

The tank seems pretty obvious to me.

ldawg
09-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Stealth tanking?

When the season starts the only player on the roster between the ages of 25-29 will be Jianlian and he hasn't been in the league for years.

The tank seems pretty obvious to me.Lakers tanking at this point just set them up for continued failure. Losing year after year becomes culture. They are excited having fun with the new coach, system and have high hope. The Last thing they need is the negatives that comes along with loosing and tanking. Those smiles will become frowns and finger pointing. They should jump all over Rudy. Ingram, Deng and Rudy length can cause some damage to teams not expecting it. Team that with Randle, Clarkson and your looking at a dangerous team if they share the ball and play D.

R!kSm!tz
09-24-2016, 11:41 AM
I read that Brandon Ingram isn't start. What in the world is it with the Lakers and not starting their 2nd overall picks that are supposed to be superstar game changes in the next 5 years?

LaLa_Land
09-24-2016, 02:40 PM
I read that Brandon Ingram isn't start. What in the world is it with the Lakers and not starting their 2nd overall picks that are supposed to be superstar game changes in the next 5 years?

Yeah man, it's the end of the world. Every good player starts right at the onset of their career, regardless of the roster makeup or how ill-prepared they are. Kobe is a great example, he started 7 out of 150 games during his first two seasons. Heavy, heavy minutes (around 20 per game). It obviously hindered his career, especially after considering how he made the all-star starting lineup without even starting on his own team.

In reality, the Lakers starting lineup already has two ball-dominant players in Russell and Randle; both of which happen to be striving for stardom. The best way to feature Ingram is off the bench, in spurts where he's the go-to option early in the season. He'll probably be starting by the end of the season after one of the current starters proves to be better suited in a bench role (perhaps Clarkson).

As for Rudy Gay? Chicago needs shooting badly. He can probably be had for Gibson's expiring and Doug McDermott. That would resemble a win-win for both sides. I doubt the Kings can get a better package than that, and I place no credence in that Lou/Young rumor. Young is abhorrent, and Lou doesn't contribute much more than what McLemore already provides (though he has an extra cheap year on his contract).

5ass
09-24-2016, 03:52 PM

You don't have to start rookies and give them 20 shots per game for them to develop. Luke is making him earn that starting spot. Nothing wrong with that at all. Kid is a 19 year old, and Luke is just giving him extra motivation.

McAllen Tx
09-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Lakers tanking at this point just set them up for continued failure. Losing year after year becomes culture. They are excited having fun with the new coach, system and have high hope. The Last thing they need is the negatives that comes along with loosing and tanking. Those smiles will become frowns and finger pointing. They should jump all over Rudy. Ingram, Deng and Rudy length can cause some damage to teams not expecting it. Team that with Randle, Clarkson and your looking at a dangerous team if they share the ball and play D.

I think you have a misconception of tanking. The players are gonna play to win. Players don't tank. The tank came from the FO and it has already been done. Where are the wins gonna come from?

Our 2 FA signings (Deng & Mozgov) are past their primes solid players at best. Neither are gonna strap the team to their back and carry them to victories. We got 2 holdover vets (Young & Williams) that can pick up a win or 2 with their shooting but will also lose alot of games because of their shooting. In other words, don't count on either Young or Williams for victories.

Then we got our very young core 6 (Clarkson, Ingram, Russell, Randle, Zubac & Nance) that have a total of 5 NBA seasons combined. They're gonna play their arses off but wins will be few. This is a mans league and they're all still to young. Not saying they suck but just to inexperienced.

Lastly we got our roster fillers ( Yi, Black, Calderon, Huertas & Brown).

The FO didn't get enough to fight with and I believe it wasn't an accident.

Cracka2HI!
09-24-2016, 06:54 PM
To the Clippers for Rivers and Johnson at the deadline.

R!kSm!tz
09-25-2016, 02:11 PM
It's dumb to not start Ingram regardless of how you look at it just like it was dumb to not start Russell a lot of games last year. Play the young players and let's them develop and build chemistry. There's a reason you had the 2nd pick in the draft.

As for the Rudy Gay for Gibson and Doug, that's a terrible trade for Chicago. Especially with the fact that you said they should do the trade because they need shooting. Trade their best shooter, probably one of the best shooters in the league for Gay who is a much worse/inconsistent shooter. I think Gay would be good on that team but there's absolutely no reason to trade Doug or Mirotic who are their best shooters.

shep33
09-25-2016, 02:33 PM
It's dumb to not start Ingram regardless of how you look at it just like it was dumb to not start Russell a lot of games last year. Play the young players and let's them develop and build chemistry. There's a reason you had the 2nd pick in the draft.

As for the Rudy Gay for Gibson and Doug, that's a terrible trade for Chicago. Especially with the fact that you said they should do the trade because they need shooting. Trade their best shooter, probably one of the best shooters in the league for Gay who is a much worse/inconsistent shooter. I think Gay would be good on that team but there's absolutely no reason to trade Doug or Mirotic who are their best shooters.

Disagree with your first part.

I think Walton is smart for bringing him off the bench. Randle, Clarkson, Russell all have improved, which means that there would be no shots for Ingram right away. Those guys want to show their improvement.

Ingram gets the green light with the 2nd unit. He just turned 19, let him ease into it, then he can slide into that 3 spot for Deng who is gonna be a great mentor/teacher.

Chronz
09-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Looking at Ingram I would bring him off the bench too. Its OK to let a teens develop before throwing him to the Wolves, it really depends on the player. I remember Justice Winslow being one of those guys people said we should wait on but he was playing heavy minutes before you knew what happened.

JasonJohnHorn
09-25-2016, 11:01 PM
I feel like Gay gets a bad wrap. I've seen him create and hit game winning shots back in Memphis. He is not an ideal first option, but a team that needs a creator, he can be a real asset.

Say you had a team like the 04 Pistons, but with Jose Calderon instead of Billups. Having Gay would be an asset (which isn't to say he would make them better).

Memphis needed a guy who did that, and since they moved him, they really haven't been much better; more like a lateral move.

If you put him on Philly, I think that would help that team out a lot. Orlando the last couple of years as well. He's like Melo light.

But yes, I think teams will want him, especially if they are stagnating and can move a couple of longer contracts out to open up cap space at the end of the year.

The thing is, I don't think he'd be that great a role player, and given that he's aging, I'm not sure he'd be too appealing to most team.

If they are having a fire sale and giving him away, I could see teams like BK and Philly taking a throw at him.

Mave1002
09-26-2016, 08:15 AM
I still think Rudy Gay, Kosta Koufos and a rookie would be a good deal for Cleveland in exchange for Kevin Love.
The Cavaliers get a better fit in Gay, who can play both forward spots next to LeBron James. Koufos would be a great back-up center in bigger lineups. A rookie like Malachi Murray, Georgios Papagiannis or Skal Labissiere seems fair to include. Considering Gay only has two more years left, it might even be fair to ask for Willie Cauley-Stein. But it's not like Cleveland has to worry about re-signing Gay.
With Love, the Kings get their biggest acquisition since Ron Artest. Their front court won't be great defensively, but offensively, Love fits nicely next to DeMarcus Cousins and provides some much-needed shooting. And he's locked up for four more years. Considering how many draft picks the Kings have spent on big men, they shouldn't be too worried about giving one up.

I'd be happy if the Lakers could be the 3rd team. We take WCS and McLemore.

Lakers: (Zubac to D-League)
Mozgov/WCS/Black
Randle/LNJ/Yi
Deng/Ingram/MWP
Clarkson/McLemore
Russell/JMC/Huertas

Cavs:
Thompson/Koufus
LBJ/Frye/Andersen
Gay/RJeff
Smith/Dunleavy
Irving/Williams

Kings:
DMC/Skal
Love/Tolliver
Barnes/Temple
Afflalo/Williams
Lawson/Collison

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Bucks GM John Hammond wanted McLemore that one draft. Maybe MCW for McLemore? Both will be RFA next summer. Also you guys could use a PG. Collison will be suspended for assault charges. Lawson a bit injury-prone or DUI in the waiting.

mrblisterdundee
09-26-2016, 12:39 PM
I'd be happy if the Lakers could be the 3rd team. We take WCS and McLemore.

Lakers: (Zubac to D-League)
Mozgov/WCS/Black
Randle/LNJ/Yi
Deng/Ingram/MWP
Clarkson/McLemore
Russell/JMC/Huertas

Cavs:
Thompson/Koufus
LBJ/Frye/Andersen
Gay/RJeff
Smith/Dunleavy
Irving/Williams

Kings:
DMC/Skal
Love/Tolliver
Barnes/Temple
Afflalo/Williams
Lawson/Collison

So all the Lakers have to give up for Willie Cauley-Stein is Lou Williams? That makes sense.:eyebrow:

Hawkeye15
09-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Tracy McGrady, KG, Harden, didn't start as rookies. Hell, Kobe didn't start until year 3.

They brought Deng in for vet leadership and production. And he will be better than Ingram this year. Ingram's time will come.

McAllen Tx
09-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Bucks GM John Hammond wanted McLemore that one draft. Maybe MCW for McLemore? Both will be RFA next summer. Also you guys could use a PG. Collison will be suspended for assault charges. Lawson a bit injury-prone or DUI in the waiting.

That looks good for both teams.

JLynn943
09-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Rudy is a good player. His first year and a half on the team were very good. He was not at all the player that his reputation would indicate. This past year with George Karl was a disaster, and he has wanted out since early on those days. You could sometimes tell that.

I think he's going to have a really good year though since he's playing for his last big contract. I'm all for holding him until the right deal comes up. If that's at the deadline, so be it.

TylerSL
09-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Last season I proposed the Kings trade Rudy Gay to the Heat for Luol Deng at the deadline. I felt like Rudy Gay really could have helped us getting to the ECF and challenging Cleveland and Sacramento could have freed a ton of space with Deng hitting free agency after the year. Now that ship has passed and Miami needs to focus on rebuilding the organization and getting a good pick in the 2017 draft. I'm sure the Kings will find a taker on Rudy Gay, but I wouldn't expect them to get a ton a value in return. He has a player option next season that he will certainly opt out because of how much everyone makes on the open market now. So with one year left on his deal, his value diminishes some IMO. Again, he'll get traded, but not for much.

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2016, 12:25 AM

Letting young guys get minutes to build chemistry is one of those things people say that sounds good on paper. Until you look the the Mavs in the 90s (Kidd/Mash/JJ). Young guys don't always have the maturity to 'build chemistry'. Sure, you get a young CP3, and he'll build chemistry with whoever you put him with. You get a young Kobe, who a lot of guys coming in the league have emulated, all you get is glory hounds to dominate the ball and alienate each other. We've seen this with the way Waiters plays (he and Irving never built chemistry) and with Wall and Beal (even though Wall is a great playmaker).

Young guys are trying to prove themselves and want to be the show. You put two or three guys trying to prove they are the alpha at once, and all you get is bad circus shots.

I appreciate the sentiment, and I DO agree that the Lakers should have given the young guys more minutes (move Lou and Iggy's exbf for picks), but I don't think throwing them all out there at once will necessarily do unless you do it with the right coach. These are things you have to play by ear.

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Last season I proposed the Kings trade Rudy Gay to the Heat for Luol Deng at the deadline. I felt like Rudy Gay really could have helped us getting to the ECF and challenging Cleveland and Sacramento could have freed a ton of space with Deng hitting free agency after the year. Now that ship has passed and Miami needs to focus on rebuilding the organization and getting a good pick in the 2017 draft. I'm sure the Kings will find a taker on Rudy Gay, but I wouldn't expect them to get a ton a value in return. He has a player option next season that he will certainly opt out because of how much everyone makes on the open market now. So with one year left on his deal, his value diminishes some IMO. Again, he'll get traded, but not for much.

I think that would have been a good trade for both teams actually.

Gay to Memphis is the only thing I can see making sense at this point. He's played with those guys and won. I'm not sure he has the skill set to be a role player, but who knows.... maybe adding him to LAC would help out?

FlashBolt
09-29-2016, 01:09 AM
To the Clippers for Rivers and Johnson at the deadline.

Not gonna happen unless Doc Rivers gets traded too.