PDA

View Full Version : The M in MVP Stands for Mookie

RedSoxtober
09-21-2016, 02:21 PM
What the heck, why not a little campaign for our MVP candidate Mookie Betts?

Since April 20, he has hit .328/.371/.562 with 29 homers while striking out in just 10.1 percent of plate appearances. In his last eight games, he hasn’t struck out once (a season-long stretch), and of his 47 swings in 34 plate appearances in those games, just four have resulted in a swing and miss.

On Tuesday, Betts added another line on the résumé of one of the greatest age-23 seasons in baseball history. With Dustin Pedroia out for the day to rest a left knee that he twisted earlier this month in Toronto, Betts returned from cleanup to the leadoff role in which he’d excelled to start the year, going 3 for 5 (and narrowly missing a fourth hit when, for the second straight night, his long fly ball to left was hauled in at the fence).

With his second hit of the night, Betts arrived at the 200-hit plateau — a mark that signifies durability as well as the skill that had eluded Betts early in the year: putting the ball in play.

Betts is now one of seven players to have 200 hits with 30 homers in his age 23 season or younger, joining an impressive short list of Alex Rodriguez (who did it twice), Hal Trosky (twice), Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero, Nomar Garciaparra, and Joe DiMaggio. He doesn’t merely put the ball in play; he crushes it.

That ability, coupled with defensive brilliance (according to Baseball Information Solutions, Betts’s work in right field grades as 30 runs better than an average peer at the position, making him the major league leader in DRS) and elite baserunning (24 steals in 28 attempts, and a major league-leading 9 baserunning runs above an average player, according to Fangraphs), has made him the closest thing in the majors to Mike Trout who is not named Mike Trout.

Bosston
09-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Mookie is an absolute stud and a superstar in the making... you can also argue that the P can stand for Papi.

bagwell368
09-22-2016, 10:02 PM
It's a good thing we didn't have our GM 2-3 years earlier, or Mookie might not be here (and yes I admit suggesting he could be dealt). Maybe I should be a GM?

papipapsmanny
09-22-2016, 11:13 PM
^^ Granted many dislike BC around here, but his tenure year was actually pretty great imo. He somehow structured together a WS team in 2013 while his stubborn approach to dealing prospects cost him his job but set us up for a long tome going forward.

I was a huge hater of the Porcello move.... I was damn wrong I guess.

His big problem with Hanley was putting him in LF. Sandoval... well that was def a blunder

RedSoxtober
09-28-2016, 04:12 PM
50 reasons Mookie should be MVP: see here (http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/al/boston-red-sox/the-case-for-mookie-betts-2016-al-mvp/)